Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vando posted:

Holy poo poo the way you nerds are so into compressors they should rename this website Something Airful

Takes 3 seconds to seat a tubeless tire bead on a rim with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Takes 3 seconds to seat a tubeless tire bead on a rim with one.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's like we finally solved the tubeless derail problem but then went flat out to drag ourselves back down into Hell

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mexecan posted:

just over 5,000km and it now requires two hands to back pedal when mounted on my stand...I’m in the PNW so we get a good amount of water obviously, which may account for the short life.

This is for a 30mm spindle, BSA 68mm if folks have other suggestions that I have missed.

As I understand it, nobody makes 30mm external cup BBs with big enough bearings (the balls themselves, and indirectly the diameter of the outer race). The smaller bearing wears faster and is more sensitive to tolerance issues in the BB, so 5000km might be pretty decent all told.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spend “several evenings” messing with a tire or buy a compressor isn’t a hard choice in my head

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ryobi 18v cordless air inflator is pretty good at seating tubeless tire setups btw

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-High-Pressure-Inflator-with-Digital-Gauge-Tool-Only-P737D/307627867

30 bucks

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 8, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Spend “several evenings” messing with a tire or buy a compressor isn’t a hard choice in my head

The point I was making is that not every tire/wheel combo goes on in the same way, not that it's some weird impossible task. My next step was to take it to a shop where they have a compressor, because they have a use for such a tool.

If you have the ability to collect $100 tools for edge cases where you've happily used other tools in the past, good luck to you, that's not me, stop trying to tell me I'm missing out on something here.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Vando posted:

The point I was making is that not every tire/wheel combo goes on in the same way, not that it's some weird impossible task. My next step was to take it to a shop where they have a compressor, because they have a use for such a tool.

If you have the ability to collect $100 tools for edge cases where you've happily used other tools in the past, good luck to you, that's not me, stop trying to tell me I'm missing out on something here.

collecting $100 tools for edge cases is the bicycle maintenance thread’s mission statement.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
There are lots of folks in this thread that probably have multiple bikes that use tubeless tires and i’m sure would hardly describe installing new tires as an edge case. If you want to cut the price in half, use an AirShot for like $40 bucks. Or just take it to the shop and pay them. It doesn’t really matter and everyone has different costs of time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

Relatively decent floor pumps cost almost as much if not more than the compressor I linked.

Minimum labor at a shop will be around $20, so if you use it only to mount tires and literally never for anything else, you only have to do 5-6 tires before it’s paid for itself.

That’s not to mention how easy it is to check and top off tire pressure before a ride and also inflate car tires and any number of other things you can do with a small compressor.

Not having to run to an LBS for every small little thing is great.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hell I work at an LBS and I buy tools just so I don't have to run there every time I want to do something with my bike.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

Goals for next year:
-6k miles
-150k feet climbed
-get back to 4 hour metric form
-do an imperial century.

So I'm already 1/4 for this:

Also there's no loving way I only burned 2k calories, Garmin.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

iospace posted:

So I'm already 1/4 for this:

Also there's no loving way I only burned 2k calories, Garmin.

Maybe you only weigh like 60 lbs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hekk posted:

Maybe you only weigh like 60 lbs

Add 100 to that and it's right.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

100mi with similar elevation for me shows around 4kcal :shrug:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Vando posted:

As with any case of "everyone should use X every time it's life changing!" that happens from time to time, the recommendation very quickly moves beyond the original poster asking a question. You don't want to spend $100 on a tool, cool & good. I'll consider it, especially when I get to staring at something in my garage and thinking outlandish thoughts; I can usually justify to myself nearly any tool purchase because I like owning tools. That's me, not you. But this conversation is well beyond your earlier question, so it's not really a case of people here "trying to tell you you're missing out on something". You're just a conventient sounding-board for people to talk about their hobby.

Also, inflation fetishes are a thing, don't kink shame.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Air compressors are now mandatory. :colbert:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sorry to break up compressor chat but I just saw this on reddit and had to share :stare:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

100mi with similar elevation for me shows around 4kcal :shrug:

I know what you’re trying to say but 1 kcal = 1 “calorie” as it is typically used

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

Sorry to break up compressor chat but I just saw this on reddit and had to share :stare:

Looks legit.

If any of you haven't figured it out yet that's an adapter to use a threadless stem on a threaded fork that normally needs a quill stem and it's almost certainly well outside the minimum insert and is at imminent risk of failure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's super long adapters; no telling if that's one without peeking into those spacers.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've only ever seen the way shorter ones but holy crap the Soma is a a long long man.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

mexecan posted:

I’m looking at Wheels MFG or perhaps even Chris King as replacement options. Is Chris King worth the extra cost in terms of longevity/performance? What of the ceramic bearings they offer?

This is for a 30mm spindle, BSA 68mm of folks have other suggestions that I have missed.

I have wheels mfg BSA30/68mm parts in both of my bikes. Nice to have a single tool that can service any bike.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Guinness posted:

My Instagram feed is full of ads for an insert of some kind to raise the handlebars of your bike. It's just like those old As Seen On TV ads, lots of frowning sad people with sore backs, bent almost double on their bike, transitioning to deleriously happy people riding with plank-straight backs and bars about 6 inches higher. Is this one of those?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

No idea what Jan's talking about :
https://www.renehersecycles.com/bq-tire-test-results/

quote:

the numbers show the time it took to roll through the timed section of our 132 m-long test hill. ...
We tested at low speeds (15 km/h; 9 mph)
If you're riding to a set speed via GPS, of course the times will be the same??

Discussion of power comes later, but only using a formula/calculation, not instrumented during testing.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

"Rolling" to me implies that they start at a speed (9 and 18 mph) and coast through the timed section.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

PCjr sidecar posted:

collecting $100 tools for edge cases is the bicycle maintenance thread’s mission statement.

Exactly. The $100 calipers are on their way to my house now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Meanwhile in the UK...everyone is still using slime.

SigENeaT
Sep 7, 2006

What's the consensus on converting a hard-tail MTB frame to be a custom (EXPENSIVE) gravel bike replacement?

I have a road bike, but it's boring... and my enduro ego needs me to be able to do kms on something that can handle unsealed trails. Been dreaming about getting a Canyon Grail because holy crap the value, but I don't want to wait 12months for industry supply to catch up if I can help it.

A mate of mine is a dealer for Banshee bikes and he put the idea in my head of building a Banshee Paradox (https://www.bansheebikes.com/paradox-v3) with road bike components including hydraulic disc brakes.

Disclaimer; I have a Banshee Titan and love the poo poo out of it so much that I have replaced almost every god damned part on it because I went with a full Shimano XT kit (full wheels, full drivetrain, full brakes) and it likes to fail catastrophically.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How big are you? The smallest size frame there has 7cm more reach than a medium road frame.

SigENeaT
Sep 7, 2006

180cm
Rocking a large Titan as my daily driver.

I think my 2013 Specialized Allez is a medium. I wouldn't want it to be any smaller.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For the Grail, the 2XL still has less reach than the medium Phantom.

SigENeaT
Sep 7, 2006

What is the downside of having too much reach on a long distance rider? Is it more fatiguing on shoulders/core muscles or something?

... assuming IF i was to dodgy up a hard-tail, it would include drop bars.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If you don't adjust the stem length so the handlebars match your fit, then the usual problems of bad fit: tiring, inefficient, painful. If you do, then the steering will be very twitchy if it's a super short stem.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
So I'm looking for a new bike that's pretty specific. Particularly I'm looking for a bike with:
  • Steel Frame
  • Drop Bars
  • 1x groupset
  • Disc brakes, hydraulic, hybrid, or dual piston mechanical
  • 700c wheels, 35-38mm tires
  • Mounting options for fenders and rear racl

I was hoping I could find something around $1500, but there doesn't seem to be much that actually matches exactly what I'm looking for. The closest I've found is the Kona Rove ST from 2-4 years ago and this thing which I doubt will actually be $1500 for its listed components. I worked out what it'd cost to build around the Kona Rove frame set and an apex 1 hydraulic groupset, and it ended up being around 2k.

The breakdown if I'm not missing anything is:
Frame+Fork: $600
Shifters/Brakes/Crankset/Derailleur/Cassette/Chain: $760
Wheels+Tires+Rotors: $400
Everything else: $240

Supply for everything is pretty bare, so it's not likely I'll be able to do anything soon. This doesn't include any tools I'd need--I know someone who has done a build so I can use what they have, but this includes building wheels which is probably a terrible idea. This is a terrible idea, right? I don't mind if it ends up being a bit more expensive than a retail bike as long as I come out with something working at the end and an interesting experience.

Also how trustworthy are the taiwan listings for parts on ebay? I'm seeing a listing for the hydraulic apex 1 brake/shifter set for $250, and they're like $500 new. The seller has >5k feedback, and my understanding is other countries can get parts for significantly less than in the US to the point where EU stores can't ship groupsets to the US. I've seen no shortage of scam sites when browsing, so I'm a little wary.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

gwrtheyrn posted:

So I'm looking for a new bike that's pretty specific. Particularly I'm looking for a bike with:
  • Steel Frame
  • Drop Bars
  • 1x groupset
  • Disc brakes, hydraulic, hybrid, or dual piston mechanical
  • 700c wheels, 35-38mm tires
  • Mounting options for fenders and rear racl

I was hoping I could find something around $1500, but there doesn't seem to be much that actually matches exactly what I'm looking for. The closest I've found is the Kona Rove ST from 2-4 years ago and this thing which I doubt will actually be $1500 for its listed components. I worked out what it'd cost to build around the Kona Rove frame set and an apex 1 hydraulic groupset, and it ended up being around 2k.

The breakdown if I'm not missing anything is:
Frame+Fork: $600
Shifters/Brakes/Crankset/Derailleur/Cassette/Chain: $760
Wheels+Tires+Rotors: $400
Everything else: $240

Supply for everything is pretty bare, so it's not likely I'll be able to do anything soon. This doesn't include any tools I'd need--I know someone who has done a build so I can use what they have, but this includes building wheels which is probably a terrible idea. This is a terrible idea, right? I don't mind if it ends up being a bit more expensive than a retail bike as long as I come out with something working at the end and an interesting experience.

Also how trustworthy are the taiwan listings for parts on ebay? I'm seeing a listing for the hydraulic apex 1 brake/shifter set for $250, and they're like $500 new. The seller has >5k feedback, and my understanding is other countries can get parts for significantly less than in the US to the point where EU stores can't ship groupsets to the US. I've seen no shortage of scam sites when browsing, so I'm a little wary.

This when they come in stock. Looks like they’re shipping more on June 30th, which all things considered isn’t too bad honestly.
https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priority-apollo

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I built up a Rove with Apex 1 - great bike. Wheel building is not going to save any money but if you just want the experience, go for it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Building wheels is v zen, highly recommend.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I haven't found the incredibly cheap wheels that used to be available. The hub/spoke/nipple/rims I have are like $250, while the cheapest equivalent new wheelset I've found is $400 which is what I have for the wheels+tires+rotors. Well not quite equivalent, but for me they are. The tools are the real killer since it's probably like $200+ but then I could splurge on a dynamo hub or something while I'm at it

Used is a different story, but that's the story of every other part too

For wheel building, I'm assuming a good truing stand is a worthwhile investment--is it worth going for the park tool $250 one or is the cheaper home mechanic one or the many other options good enough?

Looks like universal cycles has an option where they'll build the wheels for you according to what you choose. It ends up being about $50 for assembly I think, which is probably a sounder financial decision but not as "fun"

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I have built several wheels on the TS-8. It gets the job done but takes more patience. You might need the thru axle adapter for it.