Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can't believe Eren and Armin ended up together.

I can't believe that uh

Hmm

The real attack on was the friends we made along the way....Titan

It's been a rough work day, I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't understand why there was suddenly a baby at the end

Why is there always suddenly a baby at the end

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

can I get some large inline manga pages to confirm/deny this

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lil MDK in the sig now

Shions of Qud

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't wanna just barge in with something inane but I'm in the mood for a Haruhi rewatch after my Eva rewatch and I'm really stuck as to how I should watch it re: broadcast order vs chronological order with the existence of season 2.

I remember when season 1 was the only thing to exist, and I rewatched it both ways plenty and enjoyed the mystery in the broadcast order since it was paced and climaxed to work like that. With season 2 thrown into the mix, I could just marathon them after the season 1 rewatch, but then those episodes weren't necessarily intended to be watched that way.

On the one hand I want to massage my nostalgia and re-experience the original order without the distractions of the artstyle shift, but then season 2 becomes a weird also-ran; on the other it'd be cool to do a big chronological run since I'm not sure I ever actually did it (maybe once? not sure) and Someday in the Rain visually leads into Disappearance quite well.

If anyone has rewatched in either way recently, I'd appreciate some thoughts and any regrets.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Just watch Endless Eight 4 times, it's the best part anyways

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

verbal enema posted:

lil MDK in the sig now

Hell yeah! Played a bit of MDK in our school's computer lab in elementary school, but played a ton of MDK2 on the PS2 at home. Max always had the best levels (besides the stupid tower you had to climb in level 8)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Szmitten posted:

I don't wanna just barge in with something inane but I'm in the mood for a Haruhi rewatch after my Eva rewatch and I'm really stuck as to how I should watch it re: broadcast order vs chronological order with the existence of season 2.

I remember when season 1 was the only thing to exist, and I rewatched it both ways plenty and enjoyed the mystery in the broadcast order since it was paced and climaxed to work like that. With season 2 thrown into the mix, I could just marathon them after the season 1 rewatch, but then those episodes weren't necessarily intended to be watched that way.

On the one hand I want to massage my nostalgia and re-experience the original order without the distractions of the artstyle shift, but then season 2 becomes a weird also-ran; on the other it'd be cool to do a big chronological run since I'm not sure I ever actually did it (maybe once? not sure) and Someday in the Rain visually leads into Disappearance quite well.

If anyone has rewatched in either way recently, I'd appreciate some thoughts and any regrets.

Pretty much everyone I've seen talk about it nowadays still reccomends watching it in release order as opposed to chronological order, so I would probably reccomend the same for you.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Is it just a lack of capital to do original series?

I think so in most cases. Not enough investors on the committee to fund the project so Originals can end up looking more like passion projects than any sort of marketing device (think PA Works's Shirobako)

Anime is basically one big marketing scheme whose payouts mostly go to the people who funded the whole thing in the first place. Pretty much all media is like that in some aspect, but in the case of the US, the biggest shareholder is also the producer unlike anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Is it just a lack of capital to do original series?
That, plus, like I said, 90% of anime are failures in terms of profits. If a licensed anime fails, the studio doesn't lose out on much money - the production committee paid them to make it, they made it, they got the money from the producers. Whether it succeeds or fails doesn't change that. Success can mean stuff like season 2s, and studios do make a bit of money from things like streaming and blu-ray sales, so they do stand to make a bit of money if a show is a big hit, but they don't lose much if it isn't.

However, an original anime, while it still has producers, is a much bigger loss for the studio if it flops. That's why even a lot of original anime will have some sort of angle to entice producers, to help cover the costs. (Girls und Panzer is original, but had the World of Tanks devs as a big partner. A Place Further than the Universe is original, but had funding from the Japanese government. Mecha anime tend to get model kit producers on board, etc.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
don't bully ramiel!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/RetroWWE1/status/1379931491967328259?s=20

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Grouchio posted:

Wark can you make a sticky bulletin warning about discussing Attack on Titan final Chapter spoilers outside of the AOT thread?

Are you sure that this isn't just a reminder for yourself

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Willo567 posted:

Are you sure that this isn't just a reminder for yourself
Very certain

marumaru
May 20, 2013

first episode of dynazenon was fun
studio trigger is here baby

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Julias posted:

Hell yeah! Played a bit of MDK in our school's computer lab in elementary school, but played a ton of MDK2 on the PS2 at home. Max always had the best levels (besides the stupid tower you had to climb in level 8)

MDK1 is still super good to look at too, especially the refractive floor areas

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
ooh, a pottery anime!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Szmitten posted:

If you're watching season 2 new it should be how it was broadcast: in chronological order with season 1.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

kirbysuperstar posted:

hell yeah

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Hy33Yasu/status/1380100209678553088

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

If you're watching season 2 new it should be how it was broadcast: in chronological order with season 1.

I saw everything when they were first broadcast, and rewatches since, this is just a long overdue rewatch.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Somebody make me a K-ON side scrolling beat em up. Your call on if Sawa chan is a boss fight or the one who gives you a support item

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar posted:

this mdk posting got me to look it up on gog only to realize i got it for free years ago. what the...

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Super Cub is just the kind of chill experience I needed right now

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dangerous Person posted:

Somebody make me a K-ON side scrolling beat em up. Your call on if Sawa chan is a boss fight or the one who gives you a support item

First you defeat her in a boss fight, then she randomly appears during subsequent stages and makes everyone on screen wear a maid costume

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bullbar posted:

Super Cub is just the kind of chill experience I needed right now

Imma be real with ya all. Super Cub is very much my jam.

Only issue I have so far is they they draw her rosy cheeks it looks like she’s horrified 24/7.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

StandardVC10 posted:

First you defeat her in a boss fight, then she randomly appears during subsequent stages and makes everyone on screen wear a maid costume

The costume is an extra life for Yui and an instakill for Mio

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Finally

Szmitten posted:

Every new viewer should watch in Kyon order, but since you've already seen everything, yeah, give chronological a try if you haven't already.

It's okay to skip a few Endless 8s if you want to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or all of it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

watch all of e8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Or if you’re impatient then just watch the first episode, maybe the second, and then skip straight to the end of the arc.

I appreciate what they were trying to do but with such a limited run wasting 8 episodes on this seems like a dumb idea to me (especially since the novel said arc was based on only went through like one or two loops at most)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's called 'endless 8' because you're supposed to watch each episode 8 times before moving on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's because they wanted to do something weird and experimental, so they did

dont see the need to dump on it 12 years later when it's not going to affect your viewing experience anymore if you don't want it to. last time an anime got as experimental with its structure was the loving big order ova of all things

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endless Eight totally killed my watch of it and I'm still bitter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I dunno, it's pretty fair to rag on something that functionally halves the length of the season if you don't like the gimmick

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's getting it backwards, E8 exists because the season had already gotten a significant portion of its story shifted into a film project.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not what I mean. Someone who was excited about a second season and was disappointed that most of the cour went to the same episode eight times doesn't necessarily care about why that happened. It's irrelevant to the actual experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've just always viewed the strength of haruhi as the fact that it was willing to get pretty weird and inventive with its own storytelling and structure so i don't really get the idea that its one most well known instance of that is automatically an actual failure of production and not just. a weird experiment that you may or may not find interesting