Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

happy birthday simone!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Put it in the poll!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Going into Okami I wasn't really expecting it to have much going on in the story department but it's actually starting to get really interesting. It looks like Susano might have been the one to free the evil demon cause he's been possessed this whole time and there's this French dude called Waka who might be on my side but might not be and there's a noble dog warrior protecting a kid who's fated to be the next demon sacrifice and there's a beautiful sake brewer who might hold the key to defeating this evil and it's all coming together in a way bigger way than I expected.

I beat Crimson Helm, who's another boss I'd put in the very fun department. It feels like we're getting close to the final confrontation but at the same time this game's great at adding in a whole load of extra tasks so who knows

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Going into Okami I wasn't really expecting it to have much going on in the story department but it's actually starting to get really interesting. It looks like Susano might have been the one to free the evil demon cause he's been possessed this whole time and there's this French dude called Waka who might be on my side but might not be and there's a noble dog warrior protecting a kid who's fated to be the next demon sacrifice and there's a beautiful sake brewer who might hold the key to defeating this evil and it's all coming together in a way bigger way than I expected.

I beat Crimson Helm, who's another boss I'd put in the very fun department. It feels like we're getting close to the final confrontation but at the same time this game's great at adding in a whole load of extra tasks so who knows

people usually only talk about the stories of platinum/clover games to laugh at how silly they are but they're generally better than they get credit for

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rarity posted:

:allears:

you're just getting started baybee

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm partway through chapter 3 of rdr2 and i'm liking it a lot so far. i'm pretty sure these are the best-looking "realistic" game graphics i have ever seen. it is the most natural, convincing, evocative rural landscape in any open-world game. the entire thing looks absolutely stunning and i don't think i've fast traveled at all in favor of just turning on the auto-gallop and cinematic camera between waypoints

so far the writing isn't amazing but it's fine. it still has those supremely irritating rockstar moments where you can practically hear the writer busting one over his keyboard when they come up with another sizzling quip about how people like money or whatever, but it's a thousand times better than gta 4 or 5 and it's nice to not be surrounded entirely by noxious, vapid hypocrites for the length of an open-world campaign. it captures the tone of the contemporary western films that inspired it pretty well, but it's kind of a shallow imitation. i really just don't think dan houser is a very good writer, but the sheer scope of his scripts and the overall quality of the audiovisual presentation picks up a lot of slack

i don't know what they were thinking with this control scheme though. you have to hold a shoulder button and press another shoulder button and then hold the stick in a certain direction while releasing the first shoulder button in order to put your hat on. it's full of this nested radial horseshit. also it feels like game developers are in a competition with one another to make interacting with your surroundings as annoying as possible. i thought the witcher 3 was bad with trying to position geralt to pick up a vial of wizard goop or whatever, but this is worse because half the poo poo you do arbitrarily requires the button to be held instead of pressed so you can't do the ol' driveby activation as the player model lumbers past the miniscule target

i keep having to remind myself that this isn't really an rpg, it's a grand theft auto spinoff and there are no real consequences to what you do. it sure is presented like one though and it really feels like they want to just go ahead and make one, but the chaotic, unpredictable nature of their world simulation makes it basically impossible to expect the player to take responsibility for anything that happens given how easy it is to accidentally shoot a cop when you're trying to pet a dog

game's good. very enjoyable world to just hang out and spend time in. i like how long everything takes and how comparatively rare the mayhem is in the main story. there are so many shootouts in gta 4 and 5 and they're all so easy that it rapidly becomes tedious, but the more infrequent shootouts and your low-tech guns make them both more rewarding and more thrilling here

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wanna see Snoopy and Okami share root beers and have a chill time

That's my Okami take.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Good take

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

It's my birthday :kiddo:

Few pages late but happy birthday!! :D

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Weedle posted:

i'm partway through chapter 3 of rdr2 and i'm liking it a lot so far. i'm pretty sure these are the best-looking "realistic" game graphics i have ever seen. it is the most natural, convincing, evocative rural landscape in any open-world game. the entire thing looks absolutely stunning and i don't think i've fast traveled at all in favor of just turning on the auto-gallop and cinematic camera between waypoints

so far the writing isn't amazing but it's fine. it still has those supremely irritating rockstar moments where you can practically hear the writer busting one over his keyboard when they come up with another sizzling quip about how people like money or whatever, but it's a thousand times better than gta 4 or 5 and it's nice to not be surrounded entirely by noxious, vapid hypocrites for the length of an open-world campaign. it captures the tone of the contemporary western films that inspired it pretty well, but it's kind of a shallow imitation. i really just don't think dan houser is a very good writer, but the sheer scope of his scripts and the overall quality of the audiovisual presentation picks up a lot of slack

i don't know what they were thinking with this control scheme though. you have to hold a shoulder button and press another shoulder button and then hold the stick in a certain direction while releasing the first shoulder button in order to put your hat on. it's full of this nested radial horseshit. also it feels like game developers are in a competition with one another to make interacting with your surroundings as annoying as possible. i thought the witcher 3 was bad with trying to position geralt to pick up a vial of wizard goop or whatever, but this is worse because half the poo poo you do arbitrarily requires the button to be held instead of pressed so you can't do the ol' driveby activation as the player model lumbers past the miniscule target

i keep having to remind myself that this isn't really an rpg, it's a grand theft auto spinoff and there are no real consequences to what you do. it sure is presented like one though and it really feels like they want to just go ahead and make one, but the chaotic, unpredictable nature of their world simulation makes it basically impossible to expect the player to take responsibility for anything that happens given how easy it is to accidentally shoot a cop when you're trying to pet a dog

game's good. very enjoyable world to just hang out and spend time in. i like how long everything takes and how comparatively rare the mayhem is in the main story. there are so many shootouts in gta 4 and 5 and they're all so easy that it rapidly becomes tedious, but the more infrequent shootouts and your low-tech guns make them both more rewarding and more thrilling here

I just got rdr2 a few weeks ago, having never played it. I can't remember what chapter I'm on, but I'm about 35 hours in. My favorite part is getting the unique guns from the legendary duelists. Game is awesome, I haven't fast travelled either.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Red Dead 2 has really strong characters and I really enjoyed my time with it. One of very few games were the length of the game actually strengthens the narrative as you watch events unfold and how it affects everyone over time.
Apart from the chapter that takes place on that Island I mean.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I finished The Ancient Gods 2. Overall I liked it better than part one, in large part because it feels less malicious in its encounter design. Sound/music remain top tier and, assuming you like the changes they made in Doom Eternal, it's more and really good. The hammer is a great addition to the toolkit. It falls into some of the same traps as Part 1/the base game did as far as enemy design, though. The DLCs handle the story a lot better too, I wish that this had been how it was done in the base game. The platforming parts are still kind of superfluous - they even start adding armor pickups to the jumping path because they're aware they get a bit trial-and-error-y but they make up so little of the playtime I don't really mind them.

Spoilers for the base game and both DLCs: To start with the negative, my main issue is that every enemy addition requires a very specific solution. What works, imo, in Doom Eternal is that you have to balance the resource management game with what enemies are on the field and what you know about their specific behaviors and weaknesses on top of shooting and moving with precision. All of the new enemies basically seem to be a checklist of 'what weapon mods are underused according to our data.' I would be fine with every one of these enemies and their various weaknesses if they worked like the ones in base Eternal - options you can take advantage of. Even if it's not the most effective route you should generally still have the option of just dumping ammo into something if it seems for whatever reason to be the best move at the time. In fairness, it does even out the weapon mod pool in terms of usefulness so I can't say they didn't hit their apparent goal here.

They're all better than the marauder, though! I think the spirit is cool but the enemies it possesses get way too much extra health. The guys that are invincible until they drop their shield and you can headshot them are fine, the pillars with eyeballs are fine. The rock imps are okay and can sonic spindash into you which is pretty funny. It's sometimes too hard to tell them apart from the regular ones in a pitched fight, especially if they're covered in blood. The 'only take damage from behind' yellow shield guys weren't bad either but of all the new monsters they felt the most unnecessary. The armored barons are kind of a chore, they're not difficult to deal with but the combo of being beefy plus invincible in their armor can just make them seem to stick around far too long. They at least give you options in breaking the armor. The shriekers are a neat hazard. The white-and-gold floating turret enemies are also kind of nothing but they look weird and alien, especially mixed in with the demons, so I'm into it.

The DLC1 boss is a bit overly busy and kind of sucks, the DLC2 boss I liked a little bit more but it's still kind of boring. Since he's basically a big marauder he suffers from all the same problems, the worst among them being that even if you're trying to stay in the right range to bait his vulnerable attack sometimes he just will not do it. I ended up circle strafing around aimlessly in the later phases because he summoned so many large demons that I just had to wait it out until he summoned dogs to give you hammer juice.

I love the stupid lore but the base game was too in-the-know about it. The term is loaded now but I found it kind of cringeworthy. 2016 (and the Eternal DLCs) knew they were dumb and cool and didn't feel the need to have that bleed into what was presented in game, maybe outside of some of the codex notes. It's actually kind of a shame because the final 'No' from Doomguy would have absolutely whipped rear end if had been the first and only thing he said.

The good stuff is basically everything else - it's still a blast to play and it looks great. I especially love the swamp level in 1, and the reclaimed earth/big rear end battle in hell in 2. I spent a lot of time complaining but all of that amounts to problems around the edges for me. The core works and the new enemies usually slot into the encounters they present well. DLC2 even usually double marauders once (or maybe twice?) and it doesn't feel nearly as terrible as what might be the low point of the game - the double marauders with a buff totem locked in a cage encounter from DLC1.

I would like to revisit this game in the future and try to tackle Ultra Nightmare. I'm positive this isn't the last we will see of Doom but I wonder where you take it from here. I know Eternal's changes from 2016 were a bit cilantro, so I can't imagine a further doubling down on them would be the way to go for another sequel. I am glad we are in a renaissance of boomer shooters so there's no shortage of actually good shooters to play.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So I kind of glossed over it yesterday, but I have the port of Max Payne working on my Vita. This is huge.

In December of 2004 I was gifted a PS2 and a copy of Max Payne. Maybe a bundle? I can't remember. I hadn't had a console or played videogames for about 8 years at that point and I never played shooters, but Max Payne was awesome. Like I said I hadn't played a videogame since the Sega Genesis and SNES, so a shooter with a hard boiled rogue cop, competent voice acting and graphic novel transition scenes was created solely for me. This game was like playing a graphic novel fanfiction of John McClain and Martin Riggs. There was nothing better than coming home, having a few drinks and shooting some people in the head and it's still the only shooter I have ever enjoyed.

Plus, look at this trailer:
https://www.google.com/search?q=max...ih=743&dpr=2.63

How could you not think this was awesome?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ok, now I want that as an AV.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you are my enemy now for disparaging brionne

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

cheetah7071 posted:

you are my enemy now for disparaging brionne

Brionne gets what they deserve

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah, a big trophy, for being one of the best pokemon

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wartortle is perfectly adequate.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

How the gently caress is charmeleon, the most awkward middle evolution of gen 1, two ranks above wartortle, the only mid form that looks better than their final?

This has a severe pro-fire, anti-water bias, when we all know that grass type is the best anyway.

Brionne kinda looks bad, though, I'll grant that.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Dartrix should not be that low. My good dandy birb needs deserves all the love.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wartortle rules

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The two stupid monkeys should be D tier, really they should have an F tier for them, and yet there they are at A and B, so obviously that list shouldn't be taken too seriously in the first place

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
has anyone tried it takes two? looks pretty great

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Grovyle should be higher. The best middle evo for a starter imo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

looking cute, feeling cute

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/beesmygod_/status/1379940286927937540?s=19

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Walla posted:

Ok, now I want that as an AV.

Noise made an av-sized version:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm home!!!! I've got wine and persona 5 Strikers :toot:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Also, I'm beginning to seriously fuckin doubt the Disco Elysium devs' commitment to sparkle motion

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

that dril tweet about fussing with the racism dial, but literally

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harrow posted:

Noise made an av-sized version:

Tempted.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dartrix deserved better than C tier, though it is certainly the most boring of its line.

On that note, I don't understand how you can put Dartrix and Torracat so far apart from each other when they are so similar in terms of just being bigger, slightly less cute versions of their pre-evolutions.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
if you decide not to we will have to begin to refer to you as 'Walla, noted coward'

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Look, I thought I was screaming enough each day, maybe even too much, but this image has made me certain that I should be screaming even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
here i made a better one