Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I didn't believe you when you said triple digits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alite-Mayfly-Chair-Southwest-Hiking-Camping-Festival-Lawn-Compact-Seat/124644011251

Listing "from Japan"? Some dumb otaku must have spent a fortune getting it across the pond.

poo poo, I have one of the Stonefly chairs, I picked it up at REI when Alite was still in business, we'll use it as the prototype.

(If I must admit to being a dumb otaku myself, it's that I want to get me one of those Sho's B-6-kun grills. Should run me $60 before shipping, which is not the stupidest purchase I've ever made.)

I don’t put any worth into asking prices because anyone can ask whatever they want, but there are actual sold listings around $250.

WTF is up with this chair? Was it in some viral video or something? I bought mine for $40 at REI on clearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I don’t put any worth into asking prices because anyone can ask whatever they want, but there are actual sold listings around $250.

WTF is up with this chair? Was it in some viral video or something? I bought mine for $40 at REI on clearance

It gotta be the Laid Back Camp anime, one of the main characters uses it, I think the Coleman luminere lamp is also going out of stock due to people importing it out of japan where it is only sold. Character also uses a soto windmaster and has has Montbell tent and beanie, and thats not mentioning several other camping products that have appeared.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Quixotic1 posted:

It gotta be the Laid Back Camp anime, one of the main characters uses it, I think the Coleman luminere lamp is also going out of stock due to people importing it out of japan where it is only sold. Character also uses a soto windmaster and has has Montbell tent and beanie, and thats not mentioning several other camping products that have appeared.

Poor chairs, destined to never see the light of day

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

Quixotic1 posted:

Two in the first season, and then several more in the second season. Like, the anime might as well have been sponsored by Alite, and the color patterns used by the brand before their demise are distinctive.

Heck, the anime might as well have been sponsored by all of those companies Quixotic mentioned.

It would not be out of place to say that the anime has inspired a new wave of campers in Japan, such to the point that in a recent interview with Yoshi-P, the producer of FFXIV, they noted in a Famitsu interview, that, "There's a trend lately in the real life with people camping alone. As such, we're adding a bonfire minion." https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kp_GKI0qmz016XRV2U4tLBmXWaRTj6oWmOM9pm5BhDM/edit

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 1, 2021

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I didn't believe you when you said triple digits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alite-Mayfly-Chair-Southwest-Hiking-Camping-Festival-Lawn-Compact-Seat/124644011251

Listing "from Japan"? Some dumb otaku must have spent a fortune getting it across the pond.

poo poo, I have one of the Stonefly chairs, I picked it up at REI when Alite was still in business, we'll use it as the prototype.

(If I must admit to being a dumb otaku myself, it's that I want to get me one of those Sho's B-6-kun grills. Should run me $60 before shipping, which is not the stupidest purchase I've ever made.)

I love this part of the description

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good for them, strangers tossing packages on your porch is no basis for a system of governance.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Inceltown posted:

I love this part of the description

:worship:

May the chair’s reign be long!

Sad the Alite chairs are gone... I always wanted one. Seem to recall those being one of the first “good” lightweight camp chairs.

armorer posted:

They're definitely not identical, my friend had the real ones and I have the knock offs. The real ones pack down a little bit more and are notably lighter. That said, unless I was backpacking with one I wouldn't pay more for the real deal. They both sink annoyingly into soft soil, I need to find some better feet for mine for that.
Little rubber feet balls will fix that sinking! Something like a Racquet ball would probably also work really well

Out of curiosity, does your friend have the Zero or the One? I’ve got the Helinox One, which is two pounds, but the Zero model is roughly half the weight. The specs on the knockoff say that it’s two pounds, so probably pretty close to the larger chair I’ve got...

*The moment you realize how much you spent on poo poo like a cuben fiber tarp and pack... so I can bring a bigass chair*

Guess I’ll just have to trim another few inches off my toothbrush handle :ohdear:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Not sure but I'll ask him the next time I see him. He's done a lot of backpacking and actually does take it with him to some peetty remote places, so I imagine he would have the lighter one.

Edit: Who knows when I will see him next - I texted him and it turns out he has the REI Flexlite Air, which is discontinued but weighs the same as the Helinox Zero.

armorer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 1, 2021

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

armorer posted:

Not sure but I'll ask him the next time I see him. He's done a lot of backpacking and actually does take it with him to some peetty remote places, so I imagine he would have the lighter one.

Edit: Who knows when I will see him next - I texted him and it turns out he has the REI Flexlite Air, which is discontinued but weighs the same as the Helinox Zero.

I posted a while back about cleaning poison oak off boots. I gave it another round and still broke out on the feet and ankles so I tossed them. Wasn't real happy with the weight and heat of those anyway I decided to try yet another boot.

Just for background, these are hiking work boots, but non-safety toe. Uneven loads, terrain could be desert flats or miles over scree, but on my feet for 10+ hours a day. I used to alternate between redwings and whites, but I'm done with the weight.

I ordered a pair of Danners. My left foot is slipping a tad, and my right one is squeezed, so sizing down/wide isn't going to work. I don't think I've owned a pair where my uneven foot size/shape felt more pronounced. Trying to decide if I should return them, or allow them to break in and get insoles. Anyone insole one boot/shoe and not the other? Suggestions?

I'm getting really frustrated with boots these days. I'm burning through the regular name brands pretty quickly. My go-to was an Asolo that I think has been discontinued, closest thing looking is the Drifter but I tried that on and it was an instant no.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

pumped up for school posted:

I posted a while back about cleaning poison oak off boots. I gave it another round and still broke out on the feet and ankles so I tossed them. Wasn't real happy with the weight and heat of those anyway I decided to try yet another boot.

Just for background, these are hiking work boots, but non-safety toe. Uneven loads, terrain could be desert flats or miles over scree, but on my feet for 10+ hours a day. I used to alternate between redwings and whites, but I'm done with the weight.

I ordered a pair of Danners. My left foot is slipping a tad, and my right one is squeezed, so sizing down/wide isn't going to work. I don't think I've owned a pair where my uneven foot size/shape felt more pronounced. Trying to decide if I should return them, or allow them to break in and get insoles. Anyone insole one boot/shoe and not the other? Suggestions?

I'm getting really frustrated with boots these days. I'm burning through the regular name brands pretty quickly. My go-to was an Asolo that I think has been discontinued, closest thing looking is the Drifter but I tried that on and it was an instant no.

I would look into alternative lacing options (there's a bunch of lacing patterns that people seem to prefer for different foot issues/shoe deficiencies) before putting in a single insole. Asymmetric height in your shoes, unless it's offsetting an issue with your legs/feet, sounds like a good way to slowly damage your hip joint. Asymmetric lacing should be a non-issue or, at worst, require different lengths of laces.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

poeticoddity posted:

I would look into alternative lacing options (there's a bunch of lacing patterns that people seem to prefer for different foot issues/shoe deficiencies) before putting in a single insole. Asymmetric height in your shoes, unless it's offsetting an issue with your legs/feet, sounds like a good way to slowly damage your hip joint. Asymmetric lacing should be a non-issue or, at worst, require different lengths of laces.

Thanks!

The insole offset I'm extremely leery of and shouldn't have mentioned it: my wife broke her ankle, doc put her in a boot w/ no offset on good foot. She had back problems after that, which inflamed other things, and eventually ended up w/ Lowtax spine.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone have a particular cheap axe they like?

If you are willing to put in a little effort you can find a really nice axe head used and put a new shaft on it. I bought one made by Urafors Bruk here in Sweden for $20 and put a new shaft on it for ten bucks more. Took a little work but it's a wonderful little axe (head is around 600g) that works well for general "bushcrafting".

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’m new to camping and I’ve decided the first nice piece of gear I want to get is a good sleeping pad. I’m entirely focused on car camping, not backpacking, so weight’s not too important to me, but keeping bulk down would be nice. I doubt I’ll be sleeping in anything colder than 20F, and probably not below about 35F. I’m a 5’10” fat guy, and I like a firm flat surface to sleep on. I’m willing to spend a little more for quality, because sleep is important to me.

It seems like I should be going for a self-inflating pad, but they’re all hyping up how soft and plush they are, and I’m just picturing all the back pain I get from sleeping on soft-rear end hotel beds. Should I assume they’re comparing themselves to sleeping on rocky dirt and in fact they’ll be pretty firm, or is there a firmer option I should be looking for?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Steely Dad posted:

I’m new to camping and I’ve decided the first nice piece of gear I want to get is a good sleeping pad. I’m entirely focused on car camping, not backpacking, so weight’s not too important to me, but keeping bulk down would be nice. I doubt I’ll be sleeping in anything colder than 20F, and probably not below about 35F. I’m a 5’10” fat guy, and I like a firm flat surface to sleep on. I’m willing to spend a little more for quality, because sleep is important to me.

It seems like I should be going for a self-inflating pad, but they’re all hyping up how soft and plush they are, and I’m just picturing all the back pain I get from sleeping on soft-rear end hotel beds. Should I assume they’re comparing themselves to sleeping on rocky dirt and in fact they’ll be pretty firm, or is there a firmer option I should be looking for?

I presume you don't sleep on a marble slab at home so I think you'll be good. The ground is pretty firm, after all. The pad is just a buffer between your body and the ground to help distribute your weight evenly and avoid pressure points.

I personally don't like self inflating pads because, in my experience, they are too thin for side sleeping. You end up with your shoulder and hip contacting the ground through the pad and that ends up getting uncomfortable over the course of the night.
I use an inflatable pad because they are generally significantly thicker, lighter and more compact than their self inflating counterparts.

Lastly, firmness is also adjustable depending on how much air you put into them. I find it very easy to over-inflate my pad to the point it's too firm and my hips don't sink into it enough to be comfortable.. which might be exactly what some other weirdo is into.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Steely Dad posted:

I know you said you want to keep the bulk down, but if you’re car camping, get either an Exped MegaMat or an REI Camp Dreamer. There’s absolutely no comparison with thinner backpacking mats and they’re worth every penny for the better sleep you get.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A nice cot for a similar amount of money as the above options is a nice alternative to consider as well. As to actual car camping bags, I think the Kelly Cosmic/Camp bags are the best “value” camping (as opposed to backpacking) sleeping bags I’ve ever tried.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

waffle enthusiast posted:

I know you said you want to keep the bulk down, but if you’re car camping, get either an Exped MegaMat or an REI Camp Dreamer. There’s absolutely no comparison with thinner backpacking mats and they’re worth every penny for the better sleep you get.

These look perfect, thanks.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

1redflag posted:

A nice cot for a similar amount of money as the above options is a nice alternative to consider as well. As to actual car camping bags, I think the Kelly Cosmic/Camp bags are the best “value” camping (as opposed to backpacking) sleeping bags I’ve ever tried.

Thanks, that bag does look good. I have an Exped MegaSleep 25/40, which I think I got heavily discounted, but the Cosmic looks better for a similar price. I’m okay with the MegaSleep for now. My next upgrade will likely be a 6-person instant cabin-type tent because my 4-person one felt cramped with just me and one kid in it. I feel like I should stay cheap on tents, though; all I care about right now is that I can set it up and pack it up solo quickly while keeping an eye on my kids.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

waffle enthusiast posted:

The Exped MegaMats are awesome. We have a duo for car camping thats huge but oh so comfortable. To the point that I've slept on it just fine for like a month between moves once. So comfy.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I just noticed that the MegaSleep I have was made to pair with a MegaMat. So that’s definitely what I’m buying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to actually sleep in your car sometimes, something like the Luno mattress is worth a look too. It's not perfect in a tent because of the weird shape, but it works and it makes it pretty versatile for various situations.

Assuming you have a vehicle it fits in (ie, any SUV).

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
I bought the Exped MegaMat Duo 10M with the REI 20% off coupon recently for car camping, and I can confirm it is almost as good as my bed mattress. It's the same size as a full sized mattress and also figured out it's a perfect fit for my REI Half Dome 2 Plus which is a bonus.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Those exped megamats look really nice... that might be in my future once I finish paying off the driveway.

For now we’ve got a foam eggshell topper over top a Queen air mattress with regular sheets/blankets for car camping. It’s a bit bouncy though, and I really like the idea of a smaller packed volume.

Steely Dad posted:

My next upgrade will likely be a 6-person instant cabin-type tent because my 4-person one felt cramped with just me and one kid in it. I feel like I should stay cheap on tents, though; all I care about right now is that I can set it up and pack it up solo quickly while keeping an eye on my kids.

I’ve got the Coleman 6 person instant cabin, and it’s held up nicely over the last 3-4 years. I’m 6’ 4”, and I can stand up pretty well inside it. It’s nice for a couple, we can have a queen bed and some space on the side for a storage bin side table and room to change and whatnot. It’s also pretty easy and quick to set up and tear down—unfold it, and push up the struts until they click, takes just a minute. With a small battery tent fan, it ventilates pretty well, and I really like that you can unzip screened flats on all four sides for extra ventilation.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

That’s good to hear. The Coleman was my first choice, too, because I have the 4-person and like you say, it’s totally fine for a basic tent. It’s just a little tight for me with two squirmy kids. I was going to shop around some other cheap options on Amazon, but why bother? This’ll be fine.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I grabbed a Megamat at a garage sale a few years ago. It's probably the single most used piece of gear I've owned since. I have beat the ever living poo poo out of it, and I love it. I left it unrolled on the sleeping platform in the back of my van for 2 winters. It paired with my Kelty 0° bag were all I've needed for Mt Hood winter camping in a vehicle. It was used frequently in the before for any of our friends' kids or kids' friends. Basically, anytime I'm not sure what my sleeping arrangements are going to be, I take it and a bag.

I also own the REI insulated queen mattress mentioned, but only bought it late last summer and haven't had a chance to use it. We were headed to Bend for a long weekend when I bought it, then Oregon went up in flames. We slept on our friends' couch and headed home early to hide from the gross air.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
I think the real value comes from things like the air mattresses that have both camping and home use. Likewise, “non-camping/backpacking” items that fit well in that niche often are super affordable and totally adequate.

What are some favorite “regular life” items that have found their way into everyone’s backpacking setups? Or gear from other sports?

For me, off the top of my head:

A regular spoon
Plastic mug/cup
Duct tape (duh)
Aluminum foil sheet
Ziplock bags of all sizes, especially the quart and gallon ones (burly and reusable)
Meat thermometer (for my snow study kit)
Insulated work gloves (Kinco)
Insulated rubber gloves (for mountaineering)
Polycro window film (super-light groundsheet)
Tyvek (groundsheet)
Ski pant suspenders (for rain pants)
Ski straps
The obvious trail runners
Wool sweater (the original softshell!)
Umbrella
Insulated thermos
Various soft drink/Gatorade bottles
Kitchen sponge

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Fly swatter! Those goddamn stable fly ankle biting motherfuckers are the bane of my existence. Works for deer flies too but those guys aren't 1/100 as skilled at biting and I can't tell you the last time one has gotten me. Whereas I've had 1 stable fly hide out in my canoe and bite me 15+ times.

Fly swatter.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Steely Dad posted:

That’s good to hear. The Coleman was my first choice, too, because I have the 4-person and like you say, it’s totally fine for a basic tent. It’s just a little tight for me with two squirmy kids. I was going to shop around some other cheap options on Amazon, but why bother? This’ll be fine.

Check out the REI kingdome tents too. I always see them up for sale at REI garage sales, if those ever start again. Its our go to car camping tent, and I've been in a few summer thunderstorms in it and stayed dry while my friends cheap Colemans leaked.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

I think the real value comes from things like the air mattresses that have both camping and home use. Likewise, “non-camping/backpacking” items that fit well in that niche often are super affordable and totally adequate.

What are some favorite “regular life” items that have found their way into everyone’s backpacking setups? Or gear from other sports?

Flipflops or crocs if I'm going to be hanging out at the site for more than just eating and sleeping. Also my Kindle.

---

Anyone in here use a Garmin InReach or another emergency beacon/gps thing? My parents have been asking me for 5 months now what I want for Christmas. We're planning a lot more trips outside of cell reception, and I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a PLB/satellite messenger thing. Costco has the InReach SE on sale right now for $279.00 and that seems like a pretty good deal.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Two or three pages back I think we were just discussing PLBs.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thanks for the PLB reminder: I was thinking about getting one with my Biden Bux

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Verman posted:

Two or three pages back I think we were just discussing PLBs.

Heyo, I went back too far and didn't keep reading far enough. Seems like a good enough idea to have it around, especially since it's free.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Heyo, I went back too far and didn't keep reading far enough. Seems like a good enough idea to have it around, especially since it's free.

Important note: a PLB (distress beacon that only calls in the cavalry) doesn't require costs to maintain outside of eventually getting the battery replaced, an inReach or similar device (two-way satellite messaging and SOS service) does require a monthly fee for service.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Check out the REI kingdome tents too. I always see them up for sale at REI garage sales, if those ever start again. Its our go to car camping tent, and I've been in a few summer thunderstorms in it and stayed dry while my friends cheap Colemans leaked.

Co-signing this, love my Kingdome 4.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I was in a Coleman tent 20 years ago during a thunderstorm and stayed dry. The area flooded from the downpour, the bottom of the tent felt like a waterbed for a bit.

The problem with those old Colemans though was they were single-wall. You got more wet inside from condensation forming overnight.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OSU_Matthew posted:

Those exped megamats look really nice... that might be in my future once I finish paying off the driveway.

For now we’ve got a foam eggshell topper over top a Queen air mattress with regular sheets/blankets for car camping. It’s a bit bouncy though, and I really like the idea of a smaller packed volume.

I’ve got the Coleman 6 person instant cabin, and it’s held up nicely over the last 3-4 years. I’m 6’ 4”, and I can stand up pretty well inside it. It’s nice for a couple, we can have a queen bed and some space on the side for a storage bin side table and room to change and whatnot. It’s also pretty easy and quick to set up and tear down—unfold it, and push up the struts until they click, takes just a minute. With a small battery tent fan, it ventilates pretty well, and I really like that you can unzip screened flats on all four sides for extra ventilation.

:):respek::)

I got the 4 person one last year for just myself so I could fit a twin air mattress that's like over a foot thick. Man, I don't know why I was always bringing backpacking stuff when car camping. It can be so much more comfortable if I want it to be. I always brought my backpacking stuff to "test my gear" even though I have never gone backpacking yet lol.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

charliebravo77 posted:

Important note: a PLB (distress beacon that only calls in the cavalry) doesn't require costs to maintain outside of eventually getting the battery replaced, an inReach or similar device (two-way satellite messaging and SOS service) does require a monthly fee for service.

Word. The InReach month to month doesn't seem like a bad price for possibly breaking a leg or getting chomped on by a bear and not dying a slow miserable death.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pretty much. Also, as to “real world” gear, I love those ziploc twist lock food storage bowls. They are the perfect size for oatmeal in the morning and tuna mashup for lunch, and you can lock them and throw them in your bag if you don’t want to finish all of your meal right away.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Casu Marzu posted:

Word. The InReach month to month doesn't seem like a bad price for possibly breaking a leg or getting chomped on by a bear and not dying a slow miserable death.

I agree, and it's also very useful to just provide peace of mind to anyone worried about you because you can send simple messages and location data for free. And I think you can also send and receive a couple non-complex messages for free per month as part of your subscription.

EDIT: with simple PLBs, you just have the panic button and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah as discussed in prior posts there are a number of reasons you may need to call for "help" in the backcountry that don't necessarily involve spinning up a SAR helo, which is what's likely going to happen if you activate a PLB.