Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How safe is it to go through ebay or etsy—or amazon—for a pricier pen? If I see a Lamy 2000 for $150 or a Pilot Custom 912 for $220, should I be suspicious of fraud and stick to major retailers even if they stay much closer to sticker price?

The Japanese pens you see on ebay selling at lower prices are almost always legitimate, it's just that they're Japanese domestic market sellers and the prices in Japan are *way* lower than they are anywhere else in the world. Lower end models generally won't come with converters, and if you have any issues with the pen you're SOL in terms of warranty support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion
Got a Sailor Professional Gear w/ a 21 karat gold fine nib a few days ago, and couldn't be more pleased with it. The nib is gorgeous and writes very well.

Edit:
BTW, where do you guys get the little pen-holding crab from? I want one!

Meowspergers fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 5, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Meowspergers posted:

Got a Sailor Professional Gear w/ a 21 karat gold fine nib a few days ago, and couldn't be more pleased with it. The nib is gorgeous and writes very well.

Edit:
BTW, where do you guys get the little pen-holding crab from? I want one!

Amazon US sometimes has them, otherwise AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975990960.html

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Goldspot also sells the crabs, and a very sassy looking cat.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How safe is it to go through ebay or etsy—or amazon—for a pricier pen? If I see a Lamy 2000 for $150 or a Pilot Custom 912 for $220, should I be suspicious of fraud and stick to major retailers even if they stay much closer to sticker price?
A good number of my Pilots came from gray market sellers, as a matter of fact I have a Custom 743 with a Waverly nib en route that I bought from an Amazon seller. In general your safest bet is to buy from authorized dealers in your region, but when you want to get a pen that isn't offered in your locale -- like that Custom 743 -- well, sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Traded my son his Kakuno for a Jinhao 993. Really fun pens considering the price.

My oldest saw my youngest with the Kakuno and wanted his own. Instead of buying another Kakuno, I bought a 6 pack of these for pretty much the same price. Writes super smooth.

Edit: Also got my pen case in today:

Bank fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 5, 2021

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Organic Studio's Nitrogen:

Pros: really, really pretty ink. Seriously if it's mixed up properly it's a fantastic ink to write cursive in, that sheen is something else.

Cons: fussy as all gently caress and a bitch to clean.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

With OS nitrogen you WILL get a spot of it on your desk or something and find out randomly on your hands for months

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sankis posted:

With OS nitrogen you WILL get a spot of it on your desk or something and find out randomly on your hands for months

So I've been told!

Also, black ink needs a nice thick line. Change my mind.

e: it ended up on my lip somehow. HOW I DON'T KNOW BUT THERE'S A SPECK THERE

iospace fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 6, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

So I've been told!

Also, black ink needs a nice thick line. Change my mind.

I poured mine out because of this. It's a cursed ink.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

I poured mine out because of this. It's a cursed ink.

See, I like it, but I feel it's a "preppy" sort of ink. Don't want to dedicate a regular pen to it, but stick it in a preppy and it'll be fiiiiiiine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

Sure, sure

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Bank posted:

Edit: Also got my pen case in today:

Is that the girologio from Goulet? Really want something like it but refuse to pay 30 shipping for a 30 item but cannot find anything like it locally.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

See, I like it, but I feel it's a "preppy" sort of ink. Don't want to dedicate a regular pen to it, but stick it in a preppy and it'll be fiiiiiiine.

It will instantly dry out in a Preppy nib. They're too fine. That ink needs a waterfall's worth of moisture to stay wet, yet somehow it never fully dries to the paper either, since it's soluble in the oil of your fingers and handling the paper even years later will cause it to smear.

Cursed ink, do not be charmed by its shimmer

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My Draco came in today, I have yet to fill it with ink and as said earlier I'll use Iroshizuku Momiji. While I understand the BSiAR desire, I bought a fine as I want to use it for letter writing a lot.
So as a thread, we now own 0,1% of the total Draco supply out there. That is my only gripe, 3000 does not seem very limited, does it?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Keetron posted:

Is that the girologio from Goulet?

It is not. I cheaped out and bought this from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Fountain-Waterproof-Canvas-Holder-Display/dp/B07SJLHW35

My goal is to check out some more pens, max myself out to 20, then when I figure out which ones I really like, put them in a smaller, higher quality case.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You know what today is? It's new Delta day, hooray!

And it's, uh, it's definitely something

Look at that gorgeous(?) colour.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

And the nib?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

My high school was built in 1970 and this was the color of the carpet in 2000.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

And the nib?

Just Delta's basic steel nib. Pretty good writer, though

Heath posted:

My high school was built in 1970 and this was the color of the carpet in 2000.

The particular collection that this Delta hails from is actually called the "Anni Settanta", which roughly translates to "The 70s". Seems like they got the colors correct, anyways.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

grack posted:

I actually really like this color. Though, I did just get a Sailor in 70's brown, so maybe my taste is a little suspect.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I really like burnt orange and the whole grimy 70s palette.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want the Sailor Habanero pen, but I can't justify yet another pen that much.

(plus I have something else I need to spend my money on so!)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

iospace posted:

I want the Sailor Habanero pen, but I can't justify yet another pen that much.

(plus I have something else I need to spend my money on so!)

I am trying to justify a 1911 (tangerine probably) before the prices go up. On Amazon the black one is $100 off... I just got my TSWBi echo and it’s nice but those sailor nibs...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

LionArcher posted:

I am trying to justify a 1911 (tangerine probably) before the prices go up. On Amazon the black one is $100 off... I just got my TSWBi echo and it’s nice but those sailor nibs...

I have a Royal Tangerine 1911 with a music nib. It's amazing. This weekend I go to pick up one of those cranberry sparkly 1911s with a Zoom nib.

And yes, Sailor nibs are really nice.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

atholbrose posted:

I have a Royal Tangerine 1911 with a music nib. It's amazing. This weekend I go to pick up one of those cranberry sparkly 1911s with a Zoom nib.

And yes, Sailor nibs are really nice.

Pic? And how thick is that music nib?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What exactly is the zoom nib? I haven't figured that out.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Zoom nibs have a triangular grind to the tipping designed to replicate a calligraphy brush. The angle you hold the pen at determines the width of the line on the page.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Wanna hear something stupid?
The TWSBI Diamond 580 AL has a smooth polished, buffed grip and the TWSBI Diamond 580 AL Rose has a slightly matte grip.
Goddamn, is that smooth grip annoying, my fat fingers keep slipping. I'll probably use up the ink that is in it now to see if I can get used to it (don't think so) and then retire it and buy the Emerald Green to sooth the pain.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chip McFuck posted:

Zoom nibs have a triangular grind to the tipping designed to replicate a calligraphy brush. The angle you hold the pen at determines the width of the line on the page.

Huh, that's cool.

Anyway... was thinking about starting a new thread. The old OP is still mostly relevant (some of the links are dead), but it's 8 years old at this point and the OP is gone.

Any thoughts?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I got a new thing!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Wondering what kind of (sub ~$100) high-capacity pens goons have had good experiences with (that's not a TWSBI)?

My TWSBI 580 has never been as consistent and smooth as my safari but I'd like something smooth like that but with a larger capacity.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Noodler's Ahab is a beast. Swap the nib if you like but if you add some o rings and grease you can fill the inside instead of using a converter and it holds an embarrassingly large amount of ink.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

LionArcher posted:

Pic? And how thick is that music nib?

The nib isn't three-tined, but it is a big, wide, squared-off nib -- kinda like a triple broad, as Sailor nibs go.

I am bad at pen photography, but here are these:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

aldantefax posted:

Noodler's Ahab is a beast. Swap the nib if you like but if you add some o rings and grease you can fill the inside instead of using a converter and it holds an embarrassingly large amount of ink.

Is it a smooth writer? It looks nice and easy to convert, a huge plus; I will look into it, thanks!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
The more I see the Safari Savannah, the more I want it. I need to stop looking at pens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

PlushCow posted:

Is it a smooth writer? It looks nice and easy to convert, a huge plus; I will look into it, thanks!

Lol, Ahab's have notoriously finicky steel flex nibs. If you do get an Ahab, also get a #6 Jowo replacement nib (just the nib, not a nib unit) in the size of your choosing.

PenBBS, Narwhal, and a few other people all make relatively cheap piston fillers, but if I was looking for a high capacity pen, I'd save up a few bucks more and buy an Opus 88 demonstrator. Those things are absolute units, and really bulletproof eyedroppers as well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hello new thread title

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You could also get a moonman m2 and a replacement JoWo nib for a lot of capacity and smooth writer as well.

Hell, the default nib may be good if you don't mind a fine or ef

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My Opus 88 Koloro is probably my best steel-nibbed writer, and has a huge capacity, so I second that recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anyone know how good Karas pens are? Considering one