Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

denereal visease posted:

it was truly just the mass of the NH-D15S keeping the CPU cool :pwn:

I built a 3700x in an open air case, and it was days until I noticed the cpu fans weren't plugged in. I was more worried about the vrms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

danishcake posted:

Are there any goon recommendations for fan management software?

I like Fan Control. It lets you set custom fan curves for pretty much any fan you've plugged into your motherboard, including the GPU fans, and the curves can be based on any temperature control, or even in relation to other fans with the Sync curve.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

orcane posted:

Are you running these CPUs unlocked (ie. unlimited TDP) or WTF?

Stock.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Not sure how easy it is with AMD CPUs but some undervolting and power limiting in the bios has done wonders for me on Intel.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The Louqe Raw S1 seems interesting although expensive at $300. Seems a lot like the Evolv Shift series. I hated working in that case though and the Raw S1 seems to address one of the common issues with ITX cases. Might be a good compromise for folks that want that Corsair One look.

https://www.louqe.com/raw-s1/
https://sffgeek.com/2021/02/21/louqe-shows-off-its-upcoming-raw-s1-sff-pc-case/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Not sure how easy it is with AMD CPUs but some undervolting and power limiting in the bios has done wonders for me on Intel.
Some BIOS versions hide the options in weird places (IIRC on my B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi the power limit options are in the peripherals menu :confused: behind a "do you want to enable overclocking, if your computer explodes that's on you okay?" prompt) but it's not hard at all, yeah.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

ijyt posted:

I think I’m gonna end up swapping the NH-U12A for a 280mm AIO in my NR200, gets a little
too loud and hot for my liking with a 5900X.

How bad are we talking here? I finally received a 5900x from Scan and am trying to run it with a Big Shuriken 3 inside NR200P. Idling at 55-60, spikes to 75+ when doing stuff, 75-85 under sustained load, hits 90 sometimes.

I'm getting BSODs out the rear end, wasn't the case with a 5600x (which I no longer have...). Not sure if I lost the silicon lottery or if my cooling is just shiiiit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

denereal visease posted:

Looks nice, thanks for sharing! Which GPU did you get in there?

FWIW, my last ASRock board didn't actually read CPU temps or actually use the fan curve until I updated the BIOS 🙃 it was truly just the mass of the NH-D15S keeping the CPU cool :pwn:

Google around and see if anyone else has the same issue.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I built a 3700x in an open air case, and it was days until I noticed the cpu fans weren't plugged in. I was more worried about the vrms.

This was my first computer build ever right here. Back in 2009 I built a giant gently caress-off machine in a coolermaster HAF full ATX case, with one of those overbuild V8 CPU coolers. At one point the overclock I had on it failed, and I ended up resetting it to stock without knowing why. Turns out the CPU fan had failed, and while it didn't play nice with the OC, running stock that fin stack was more than enough for passive cooling. Ended up running it for several more years.

Rhaka posted:

How bad are we talking here? I finally received a 5900x from Scan and am trying to run it with a Big Shuriken 3 inside NR200P. Idling at 55-60, spikes to 75+ when doing stuff, 75-85 under sustained load, hits 90 sometimes.

I'm getting BSODs out the rear end, wasn't the case with a 5600x (which I no longer have...). Not sure if I lost the silicon lottery or if my cooling is just shiiiit.

Some cursory googling makes me wonder if the BS3 is just a wimpy cooler or if the 5900X is exceeding the BS3's ability to remove heat. What happens when you set a static 100% fan RPM and perform some benchmarking?

To update on my own situation: The pslate PWM cables I got were so nice that I ordered 4 more, and I intend to trim and splice the cables on my fans to use these instead of the Noctua sleeved cables. Should make for a nicer cable routing experience from the fans. Of course, this kicks the rewiring project for the pump and now fans down the road a bit, but hey.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

I just got some pslate customs late last week for my M1 5800X/3080 build.

They reached out to me before starting my order to say "Hey, these won't fit with the sidepanel on unless you use low-profile PCIE power adapters. Here are some options..."

I already knew this but I really appreciated them looking out for their customer base. I let them know I was aware, said thanks, and linked them the exact adapters I'm using.

The cables look great, hoping to rebuild my system this weekend (I want to reroute the CPU 8-pin power), pics forthcoming.

danishcake
Aug 15, 2004

denereal visease posted:

Looks nice, thanks for sharing! Which GPU did you get in there?

It's a Gigabyte 3060 Eagle. Finding a card at all was hard, but the Sentry can only accept double slot, normal height cards. It's seems most cards this gen went to a super tall 2.5 slot form factor.

Ideally I would have put a 3060ti in there, but those were impossible to buy in the UK

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rhaka posted:

Sounds similar to my experience, I saw it hitting 90s in stuff like Valheim, likely contributed by the 3080’s heat. No BSODs though it’s just toastier and louder than I’d like.

I need to update my BIOS to get PBO2 but I’ve heard people complaining about the latest ASUS stuff.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Some cursory googling makes me wonder if the BS3 is just a wimpy cooler or if the 5900X is exceeding the BS3's ability to remove heat. What happens when you set a static 100% fan RPM and perform some benchmarking?

with BS3 at 100% and all case fans at 100% (2x in, 2x out, all Noctua NF-S12A), and a 3080FE in the way like ijyt, while running Cinebench23 I'm hitting 70c-75c single core and 90 multi core. Idles in bios at 40, in OS at 55-60 same as before. On eco mode multi hovers around 75-80, but I think the multi-core performance is cut in half. I think the 5600x scored better.

I'm thinking the BS3 is inadequate for this chip + my chip is borked + maybe I did a lovely job with paste/attaching the cpu cooler?

I've RMA'd it and am waiting to see if I get a replacement, and am awkwardly trying to get another store to send me back the 5600x I barely managed to squeeze into their return window >_> Really should have tested more thoroughly before running off with that return.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

denereal visease posted:

I just got some pslate customs late last week for my M1 5800X/3080 build.

They reached out to me before starting my order to say "Hey, these won't fit with the sidepanel on unless you use low-profile PCIE power adapters. Here are some options..."

I already knew this but I really appreciated them looking out for their customer base. I let them know I was aware, said thanks, and linked them the exact adapters I'm using.

The cables look great, hoping to rebuild my system this weekend (I want to reroute the CPU 8-pin power), pics forthcoming.

Their customer service has been spot on. I've been working with them directly since the stuff I'm ordering from them right now isn't "front-of-house" stuff they advertise on the site. Though I did just have to check with them since they invoiced a sleeved cable instead of unsleeved. Still, excellent experience and I'll happily recommend them to anyone who asks.

Rhaka posted:

with BS3 at 100% and all case fans at 100% (2x in, 2x out, all Noctua NF-S12A), and a 3080FE in the way like ijyt, while running Cinebench23 I'm hitting 70c-75c single core and 90 multi core. Idles in bios at 40, in OS at 55-60 same as before. On eco mode multi hovers around 75-80, but I think the multi-core performance is cut in half. I think the 5600x scored better.

I'm thinking the BS3 is inadequate for this chip + my chip is borked + maybe I did a lovely job with paste/attaching the cpu cooler?

I've RMA'd it and am waiting to see if I get a replacement, and am awkwardly trying to get another store to send me back the 5600x I barely managed to squeeze into their return window >_> Really should have tested more thoroughly before running off with that return.

I'm leaning heavily on the inadequate cooler side. I saw an uncited claim that the BS3 was made for 95W TDP, while the 5900X is a 105W TDP part. I'm not certain of the real-world implication of this, but based on what you've reported, I'm very suspect.

If you can fit a better cooler, I'd look for a better cooler. The BS3 looks like it would be better for cases that don't have as much clearance as the NR200.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

The 5950X (and 5800X) will hit a TDP of 142W during boost, which is pretty pretty warm especially in a SFF case.

IIRC all of the Scythe fans top out around 1,100RPM at 100% PWM, so that Big Shuriken 3 may not be moving enough air. Scythe seems to make pretty good cost-effective coolers for most folks, so they get a lot of recc's around here.

What's the biggest Noctua air cooler you can fit in an NR200, the NH-C14S? Noctua is worth looking into if you want to stay on air-cooling. More expensive than Scythe, still cheaper than an AIO.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Technically the NH-U12A is better and bigger but just a few posts ago people were complaining it was too hot/loud which is utterly :confused: to me, I guess it won't help if you run a dysfunctional case fan setup?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
BS3 is 69mm in height, you just aren't going to be able to run a 5900x full tilt with that. NR200 fits CPU coolers twice as tall so it's not like you're short on options. Afaik Scythe Fuma 2 a common pick for the case.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

orcane posted:

Technically the NH-U12A is better and bigger but just a few posts ago people were complaining it was too hot/loud which is utterly :confused: to me, I guess it won't help if you run a dysfunctional case fan setup?

It’s not unmanageable its just too loud for my personal use case. I do have the case tucked away on a bookshelf and while it’s got plenty of inches of free space its going to get toastier in there than on my desk.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah I have the Fuma 2 on my 5600x in the NR200 and it fits fine, both with and without the tempered glass panel, contrary to the warnings on PCPP. From research it cools as good if not better than the more expensive NH-U12A and is pretty much the best air cooling option available in that case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

denereal visease posted:

What's the biggest Noctua air cooler you can fit in an NR200, the NH-C14S?

They're great coolers but they really don't like being squished up against a side panel. I don't know how well they'd actually work in that case.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

I got the BR3 as a stop-gap while waiting for a T1 FormD, planning to AIO it. That never materialized and I wasn't expecting to still get a 5900x, I'll probably snap up a fuma 2 for it if I keep the NR200P/5900X long-term.

In the meantime, forcing my clock at 4.0 has kept things stable most of today, no BSOD yet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Longish term Sliger CL530 review in low effort post form:

I’ve had it for 3 months now. It’s good. I feel like maybe I could have gotten away with the thinner CL520 because my EVGA 3070 XC3 isn’t all that thick. I even moved the riser slot for the card closer to the vented panel and there’s still some room to spare. But then I’d probably have to deal with a smaller heatsink for my toasty boi i7 8700.

Dust is more of an “issue” than with other cases, though the simple pop-off side panel exposing everything makes cleaning pretty simple. Still in love with the industrial, no frills spartan design.

Biggest con is that it’s too slightly large to fit into my school backpack. This somehow remains important to me even though I’ve taken my computer to a friends house *twice* ever since I transitioned to the form factor in 2016. I know it’s dumb.

Thanks for tolerating my post!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Do you guys run chassis fans at a higher speed than fans on your cpu heatsink? Warmer weather is coming and I was playing around with my fan curves on my tu150 system. Wanted some baseline recommendations on what to do.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

buglord posted:

Longish term Sliger CL530 review in low effort post form:

I’ve had it for 3 months now. It’s good. I feel like maybe I could have gotten away with the thinner CL520 because my EVGA 3070 XC3 isn’t all that thick. I even moved the riser slot for the card closer to the vented panel and there’s still some room to spare. But then I’d probably have to deal with a smaller heatsink for my toasty boi i7 8700.

Dust is more of an “issue” than with other cases, though the simple pop-off side panel exposing everything makes cleaning pretty simple. Still in love with the industrial, no frills spartan design.

Biggest con is that it’s too slightly large to fit into my school backpack. This somehow remains important to me even though I’ve taken my computer to a friends house *twice* ever since I transitioned to the form factor in 2016. I know it’s dumb.

Thanks for tolerating my post!

In an alternative timeline where one can buy a GPU at msrp, I'd probably have a CL530 already. It seems fix most of the issues I have with the Node 202.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, I started with a Node 202, and even with a 1660 Super it ran with the heat of a thousand suns. The 3070 FE actually did alright even with the backside being covered, but as I was chasing the 3080 at the time I knew that the 202 had to go and become an HTPC because it had a hard GPU size limit as well as thermal issues. In the end I had done everything, including zip tying 40mm fans on the exhaust next to the power supply and undervolting it to all hell. At that point my GPU was hitting 80-90C.

The only 3080 I could get was the beefy boi EVGA FTW3 Ultra so I ordered an NR200 ASAP and I don't think I even hit 80C now. It sucks because I wanted a smaller package but it sure is nice not having to worry about setting UV curves and monitoring the temperature.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ughhhh posted:

Do you guys run chassis fans at a higher speed than fans on your cpu heatsink? Warmer weather is coming and I was playing around with my fan curves on my tu150 system. Wanted some baseline recommendations on what to do.

I base my fan speeds on noise level, I run all noctua a12x25 at the same curves and the max speed they run at is 1000 rpm unless the cpu hits 90C for some reason. It never does because all I do is game and the cpu is undervolted.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I've got two fan curves: one for winter and one for summer. Both are based on noise level until the cpu hits a specific temperature and then it goes whole hog. Using noctua fans x 3 in an ncase m1. Two in the bottom for fresh air intake for the gpu, and one intake on the side near the cpu. The cpu fan doubles as an exhaust fan.

Cpu is also undervolted and runs around 40-60C under 95% of conditions.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I base my fan curve on max GPU or CPU temp using Argus Monitor in an NR200 with 2 bottom intake and 2 top exhaust. CPU cooler (Fuma 2) runs on its default curve, and I manage my graphics card curve (GTX1080) via afterburner to have it ramp up steadily instead of doing the annoying thing it used to where it was quiet until it was definitely not.

For the chassis fan I do max GPU or CPU just because games don't really stress my CPU so I can't tie it to CPU temp, and if I'm doing anything CPU intensive it's obviously not gonna get the GPU going so I can't tie it to GPU temp. So it's just tied to both, whichever is higher.

The fans definitely run at higher speeds than my CPU cooler fan because the Fuma 2 fans are I believe really heavily RPM limited. But exhausting harder really helps CPU temps in the NR200 if ambients are high (already nearly 30c lovely) and intaking right into the GPU is also great.

Not sure how it is with the TU150 and the layout there. I would expect most people to run their fans a little harder in summer if you're not airconditioning.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My fans are controlled by a Aquacomputer Octo and a coolant temperature probe. The controller attempts to keep the coolant temperature no higher than 45C, and I have a minimum fan speed set so the fans don't ever 100% turn off. I tried doing a dT/Ambient control, but between the Octo not maintaining virtual sensors while the controller software isn't running and me not really sure where to measure ambient from, I'm kinda just sticking with a "maintain this coolant temp" which might as well be the same thing because the system doesn't care what the ambient is. If ambient is making the system hit 45C coolant faster or slower, the fans will spin up faster or slower.

I feel like I could do better, but I'm not feeling like doing any more tinkering right now, at least until I finish the hardware portion of my build. Should be a couple weeks for my final shipment of custom cables to arrive.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm the psychopath that leaves everything on auto.

My PC is vented on all sides and on the floor (hardwood) and I don't care about noise much.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm running a 3080 and a direct die 10700k on a dual radiator loop in an Ncase M1. So I am not the average example.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish I could do a custom loop but I know i'll be cussing and yelling non stop. Getting my cables (those stiff rear end rubber ones from Silverstone) to go where they need to in a Sliger SM580 was enough for me to say "i'm never touching the inside of this pc again."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Romes128 posted:

I wish I could do a custom loop but I know i'll be cussing and yelling non stop. Getting my cables (those stiff rear end rubber ones from Silverstone) to go where they need to in a Sliger SM580 was enough for me to say "i'm never touching the inside of this pc again."

Yeah... custom cables are the way to go in the SFF space. I can't put a price on the hassle-free cable routing the stuff I'm getting from pslate gives me.

And Silverstone is a major offender. My experience with the SG05 and the modular power supply I bought for it was enough to make me pass on them as a consideration for this build.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

My NCASE M1 just cleared customs. Anyone have any "I wish I would have known this before I built my M1" tips I should know about?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

If you're trying to tuck the CPU 8pin & front panel connector leads behind the mobo, make sure the cables are situated how you want them as you lay down the board.

That poo poo took me like 4 tries on my first M1 build.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
From Sliger discord;

quote:

@everyone We are going to discontinue the SM570. We have 23 left in stock. Coupon for $100 off any SM570 order is now active. Code is "RIPSM570"

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

CaptainPsyko posted:

From Sliger discord;

Rip dual slot gpu cases.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's a pretty good deal. I'm happy with my 580.

But yeah,

Canna Happy posted:

Rip dual slot gpu cases.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

dy. posted:

My NCASE M1 just cleared customs. Anyone have any "I wish I would have known this before I built my M1" tips I should know about?

Without knowing what else you're doing, the best I can offer is:

1) You can swap the nameplate and the PSU cord extender on the back.
2) Get power supply cables that are flexible so you can take advantage of the space between the RAM and PSU to rout your 24-pin ATX cable.
3) You should get a blank front panel replacement with your kit. Depending on what you're doing, it might be worth just eschewing the 2x USB-A, 1x USB-C, and 1x 3.5mm audio jack for a cleaner internal.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Without knowing what else you're doing
Main gist is moving from an NZXT H200 with air cooling to a M1 with an AIO water cooler.

The previous case was my first ITX build and I definitely did a lot of dumb stuff that I wish I had thought through more. Like I didn't realize that the heatsink was going to cover the entire motherboard and prevent me from accessing any plugs, didn't realize I wouldn't have enough room for a full-size top fan, the usual mistakes about not fully setting up for good cable routing, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Canna Happy posted:

Rip dual slot gpu cases.
I don't know their reason in particular, but yeah the SFF high performance cases which only allow 2-slot GPU designs are DoA for the latest GPU generation. Most of the current "max hardware / min size" cases like the Dan A4, Ghost S1, Sliger 550/570 etc. started development when there were a lot of 2-slot options for Pascal cards all the way up to the GTX 1080 Ti, but that didn't last. It was pretty bad with the RTX 2000 series already, but the RX 6700/RTX 3070 and up have like 3 SKUs per GPU that still fit these cases (if you could buy the GPUs, that is), everything else is 2.5 slots and bigger. That's okay if your niche is midrange and lower hardware, but iGPU users will buy a NUC or DeskMini, and someone making price-sensitive builds with a GTX 1660 will probably not buy a $250 boutique case.

Dan scrapped the original ideas for the A4-H20/C4-SFX, Lian Li is making a version of those drafts as the A4-H20 now and it has room for 2.7-slot GPUs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3S5y_uaFKQ&t=12s

His C4-SFX redesign is closer in size to the Ncase M1 or NR200 now and takes up to 3-slot GPUs:

The A4 will get side panels that add some room for thicker GPUs (and CPU coolers), and he considers making the next revision wider to allow for 2.5 slot GPUs at least:

It's clear that "make case that only works with 5-10 specific GPU models of the latest generation" is not viable anymore.