Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Earwicker posted:

yea would be better if you had a choice to pay it off or do a mission that involves breaking into a cop station and hacking some poo poo to remove your stars

That kind of thing only works once or twice before it gets too repetitive.

Trying to remember what other games do and I'm not sure there's a good solution. Skyrim either kills you or sends you to jail, GTA kills you but clears your status without having to reload, Witcher kills you (if you get caught stealing), etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bust Rodd posted:

The first person vehicle camera in this game to me, a person who drives a car for about 5 hours a day, makes absolutely no sense
It's especially hilarious because cars have a third person view so you can turn the camera around and see that V is like a little shrunk old lady barely looking over the steering wheel.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

why V so smol!?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Don't post small V

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I tend to enjoy motorcycles (and mopeds!) more in games anyway, but being able to see more in first person is definitely a plus in Cyberpunk.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I just assumed that is what you ants normally deal with, and aren't 6'6' guys with their heads hitting the ceiling :smug:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I respecced to change up the playing style and even after removing all skill points from hacking it's still as OP as before :psyduck: (considering that intelligence stays at 20, hacking at 16, breach protocol at 18). So what that Contagion costs 10 RAM now when I have 25 but at least it feels a tiny bit more balanced. I put all those points into shotguns and tech weapons and it feels good to kill thugs for now. Using a tech shotgun that benefits from all those skills at once is insane though.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The only way to avoid being a hacking god is to not use a cyberdeck, switching to one of the other OSes. Sucks that those are also tied to stats in unwieldy ways.

"Want to use Sandevistan? Reflexes for you!"

"But I want to do slo mo shotguns."

"Reflexes, I said!!"

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Palpek posted:

I respecced to change up the playing style and even after removing all skill points from hacking it's still as OP as before :psyduck: (considering that intelligence stays at 20, hacking at 16, breach protocol at 18). So what that Contagion costs 10 RAM now when I have 25 but at least it feels a tiny bit more balanced. I put all those points into shotguns and tech weapons and it feels good to kill thugs for now. Using a tech shotgun that benefits from all those skills at once is insane though.

I really wanted to complete the secret ending, but had to revert to a pretty old save for the proper dialog unlocks. I decided to use a save file editor to bring my V back up to where he was in my proper playthrough, especially after reading about the max level enemies and general difficulty of it and along the way I used it to respec fully into intelligence & quick hacking on a lark.

I know people had talked about how op contagion spam is but, uh, holy poo poo. I basically just sauntered through the whole thing dropping cyber-ebola on anything that moved. It was bonkers. still shot Smasher in his loving face though

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Palpek posted:

I respecced to change up the playing style and even after removing all skill points from hacking it's still as OP as before :psyduck: (considering that intelligence stays at 20, hacking at 16, breach protocol at 18).

The skills from leveling Hacking add up to a lot at 16. If you want to do a full respec to where you drop Int and skill points in addition to resetting the perk trees, this is a great mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/1263

Also has a great item spawner with an incremental search interface and the ability to craft from recipes built in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

v1ld posted:

The only way to avoid being a hacking god is to not use a cyberdeck, switching to one of the other OSes. Sucks that those are also tied to stats in unwieldy ways.

"Want to use Sandevistan? Reflexes for you!"

"But I want to do slo mo shotguns."

"Reflexes, I said!!"
Yeah, it's also weird because half of the shotgun tree is about adding movement speed so I think slowing down time at the same time would be a more fitting synergy. I wish I went for Reflexes instead of Intelligence, that seems like it could be way more fun combined with Athletics. I tried the mod that lets you respec abilities but when you do that it sets all sub-attributes to zero and like 20 skill points get lost in the process and gently caress that.

The skill trees are in such a bad need of another pass where useless poo poo would get removed and better synergies could be created. The worst thing is that it's conceivable, it just needed a few more drafts.

^^^^EDIT: Yeah, I used exactly that mod but I actually didn't want to lose those skill points :v:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 7, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Palpek posted:

I tried the mod that lets you respec abilities but when you do that it sets all sub-attributes to zero and like 20 skill points get lost in the process

The mod can preserve/set skill points and even the sub progression in each skill but you have to use the save/load spec functions. Save your current build as a spec without any of the inventory, then edit the spec file it creates, load it back in.

Here's one of my respecs, for eg: https://gist.github.com/v1ld/943ed8c18c6ce60a2f431407c2d5f485

It's totally safe to try out and go back to a save off it doesn't look right, so I fooled around with it quite a bit.

E: Losing skill points would suck, yeah. I wish they had put in the equivalent of what this mod can let you do into the game's respec: let you relocate skill points and attribute points. So, Int 20 and Hacking 16 -> Reflexes 15 and Pistols 14, with points left over to spend.

E: From memory but pretty sure if you leave perks blank, it'll leave you with the correct perk points to spend through the game's interface. Which is quite nice.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 8, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Chalks posted:

To be clear, I mean a game that spawns infinite waves of police/guards at you based on some sort of wanted level. Things like the elder scrolls games where you can put a bucket on the head of a guard and do what ever you want is a different system where there are specific guards for you to avoid. You go to a random village and kill everyone, there won't be hoards of guards infinitely spawning at your location. Same with farcry, tw3, fallout etc.

I interpreted OPs comment to mean a system where something tries to stop you when you do bad things. If you just mean the exact system from GTA almost that entire list still applies.

Amusingly enough I think AC odysseys wanted system would probably be a perfect match for a good Cyberpunk game.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Speaking of ol' Adam Smashman, ever wanted to remove 70% of his health in approx .5 seconds?

Ever wanted to effortlessly turn an entire freeway to smouldering wreckage!?

If so my friend, the Prototype Shingen is what you seek! Boom boom boom!!

Surprised I've never seen anyone mention it before, it's a v fun way to leave your enemies in little pieces :sickos:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No one ever mentions it because it’s a secret weapon that’s supposed to be locked behind beating the game

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

No one ever mentions it because it’s a secret weapon that’s supposed to be locked behind beating the game

No, the Prototype Shingen is the smart SMG you can get while sneaking into that Arasaka warehouse to sabotage the parade floats. It's a midgame weapon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ooooh yeah that thing rules but I think it’s level is determined by when you do the mission and not by when you actually open it because I went back for it at level 45 and it was painfully underleveled so I never fooled around with it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think you can still upgrade weapons throughout the game so you can still use low-level weapons at high level, right? If not it's insane to have uniques with stats based on your level when you find them

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

2house2fly posted:

I think you can still upgrade weapons throughout the game so you can still use low-level weapons at high level, right? If not it's insane to have uniques with stats based on your level when you find them

You can but even with the cost reductions it will take a lot of components if an item is low enough level.

Though if you wait until you're really close to/at the level cap before making it a legendary that mitigates the issue somewhat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

2house2fly posted:

You can, but upgrading a weapon takes more resources every time you do it. Iconics are good because you can re-craft them at a higher rarity, resetting their level and their upgrade costs.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Upgrades suck, their designed way is to use crafting to get more up to date versions of the weapons as you progress.

But crafting and its tree is such a tedious bore I used the respector mod to do the same thing every 10 levels or so instead.

It's a real pity that some very fun weapons like Fenrir are given to you so early they're useless unless you spec into Crafting. Also a pity that other fun weapons like Psalm 11:6 are unobtainable unless you spec into Crafting.

It's just such a bad perk tax tree. Want to use fun weapons from the weapon trees you actually invested and are interested in? Pay the perk tax!

Or download a mod, of course.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

v1ld posted:

Upgrades suck, their designed way is to use crafting to get more up to date versions of the weapons as you progress.

But crafting and its tree is such a tedious bore I used the respector mod to do the same thing every 10 levels or so instead.

It's a real pity that some very fun weapons like Fenrir are given to you so early they're useless unless you spec into Crafting. Also a pity that other fun weapons like Psalm 11:6 are unobtainable unless you spec into Crafting.

It's just such a bad perk tax tree. Want to use fun weapons from the weapon trees you actually invested and are interested in? Pay the perk tax!

Or download a mod, of course.

You could also just use new weapons you find all the time, instead of downloading mods to optimize your weapon damage in a game where the AI is offensively stupid.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

You could also just use new weapons you find all the time, instead of downloading mods to optimize your weapon damage in a game where the AI is offensively stupid.

The point of modding is to make the game what I want it to be as much as is possible, not to make do with what you're given. Mods aren't being downloaded to improve weapon damage.

Yes, the AI is very simplistic. No, that doesn't render all combat unfun. Yes, you can get OP in any number of ways. No, that doesn't take away the fun of planning out a build because you found it interesting.

Or adding mods to increase enemy level and health to give combat some sense of challenge.

Ultimately the build/combat some of the game is still shallow, but you can splash around in it and have quite a bit of fun even so. And more so if you're willing to tweak the game to suit your preferences.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 8, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

satanic splash-back posted:

Counterpoint: it's dumb to lock iconic gear behind a whole rear end skill tree.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The same item problem happened from Witcher 3 where we’re gifted a legendary heirloom weapon and chuck it after reading its stats because it’s under leveled.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Ghost Mode mod for TW3 added a repair item purchasable from smiths that let you keep weapons and armor leveled up with you.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

The same item problem happened from Witcher 3 where we’re gifted a legendary heirloom weapon and chuck it after reading its stats because it’s under leveled.

I mean, you should chuck any item that isn't Witcher gear in The Witcher 3. You don't even have to look at the stats.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Earwicker posted:

didn't stop ubisoft from using bits of it in the last couple AC games
The essential thing that makes it good is its dynamic aspect, which the AC games don't really have (you can't even sequence break and find conspirators with 2 of 3 clues or whatever). Watch Dogs: Legion gestured that way and did nothing with it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chalks posted:

To be clear, I mean a game that spawns infinite waves of police/guards at you based on some sort of wanted level. Things like the elder scrolls games where you can put a bucket on the head of a guard and do what ever you want is a different system where there are specific guards for you to avoid. You go to a random village and kill everyone, there won't be hoards of guards infinitely spawning at your location. Same with farcry, tw3, fallout etc.

Guards aren't a problem when they're designed to be avoided. Something to enhance stealth and RP gameplay by giving a penalty for being caught.

The reason GTA and GTA-style games like saint's row (and to an extent RDR) have a multi-tier wanted system is because getting caught and getting into police chases isn't a deterrent, it's an intended part of the game. Whole systems are built around helping you escape from the police and missions will unavoidably get you into chases so that the player can enjoy the experience.

CDPR sits on the extremely uncomfortable fence between both systems. The police are a deterrent and not something the player is encouraged to interact with, but instead of a bunch of gameplay mechanics that let you avoid being spotted like keeping an eye on patrol routes and staying out of their vision you get infinitely spawning psychic motherfuckers who know exactly where you are and will never ever leave you alone.

This isn't a design you come to by looking at how other sandboxes do guards and crime deterrents. It's a design you come to by looking at GTA and saying "do it like that". It's unclear as to whether the system is half implemented because they didn't have time to do it properly or if it's the result of a surface level interpretation of how GTA works.

And yeah, I'll grant you, NMS had the exact same lovely guard/wanted level system when it first game out and it was absolutely terrible in that game too.

yeah. they are using the system from the witcher(if you kill someone or something, the guards will kick your head in) which would be fine if the game didnt play like GTA with some of the open world poo poo and then pretend to have a good cop system.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

necrobobsledder posted:

If you don't have money and wind up with a bunch of stars your game is not possible to advance because you'll keep getting in a flatline loop. Breaking out of that loop itself could be a small game of sorts but I don't see how money should be what solves everything.

That was another miss, for me: there shouldn't have been a game over screen. Every time V dies, they should end up in a morgue or dump and wake up and have to keep going.
:kheldragar:

edit:

necrobobsledder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYroItibp2M

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 8, 2021

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

v1ld posted:

The point of modding is to make the game what I want it to be as much as is possible, not to make do with what you're given. Mods aren't being downloaded to improve weapon damage.

Yes, the AI is very simplistic. No, that doesn't render all combat unfun. Yes, you can get OP in any number of ways. No, that doesn't take away the fun of planning out a build because you found it interesting.

Or adding mods to increase enemy level and health to give combat some sense of challenge.

Ultimately the build/combat some of the game is still shallow, but you can splash around in it and have quite a bit of fun even so. And more so if you're willing to tweak the game to suit your preferences.

Not sure if I agree with any of this. The main draw of some of these games for me is making builds, and I don't even have to use a point in cyberpunk. I personally don't define fun in video games as anything related to power or feeling safe, though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Basic Chunnel posted:

The essential thing that makes it good is its dynamic aspect, which the AC games don't really have (you can't even sequence break and find conspirators with 2 of 3 clues or whatever). Watch Dogs: Legion gestured that way and did nothing with it

You can definitely find most of the cultists ahead of time in AC Odyssey, sometimes even altering or skipping entire questlines if you know where to look.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I was thinking specifically of Valhalla, where you could really easily narrow down the grandmasters with just a few clues... except they only spawned in the game world when you had all of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

v1ld posted:

The mod can preserve/set skill points and even the sub progression in each skill but you have to use the save/load spec functions. Save your current build as a spec without any of the inventory, then edit the spec file it creates, load it back in.

Here's one of my respecs, for eg: https://gist.github.com/v1ld/943ed8c18c6ce60a2f431407c2d5f485

It's totally safe to try out and go back to a save off it doesn't look right, so I fooled around with it quite a bit.

E: Losing skill points would suck, yeah. I wish they had put in the equivalent of what this mod can let you do into the game's respec: let you relocate skill points and attribute points. So, Int 20 and Hacking 16 -> Reflexes 15 and Pistols 14, with points left over to spend.

E: From memory but pretty sure if you leave perks blank, it'll leave you with the correct perk points to spend through the game's interface. Which is quite nice.
Hmm ok thanks, I'll play around with it more then, I want to see what the reflex tree can do.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
all this talk about skills and crafting is just so dumb when you think about the world and story

doind sidequests before the big bad ending makes sense if it is a mad dash to make enough money to buy the hardware to take on the big bad (heck, becoming a full borg to resist the chip should be an option, maybe just to try and fail!)

or, you can become godlike just by grinding xp and using stuff lying around to make endgame stuff, and full borg is just a cheevo that is meaningless

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Game bad. What a surprise.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

marshmallow creep posted:

why V so smol!?

We're not playing as V, we're playing as v.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

inscrutable horse posted:

We're not playing as V, we're playing as v.

:hmmyes:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1380137334155411456?s=21

lmao the toxic waste is leaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Hehe yeah thats really lmao hehe