Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

No Wave posted:

No, she only has 7 years to go then Eren's ok with it.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Annointed posted:

I hope the proper translation make sure there isn't any tip toeing about the cycle of violence

ayy lmao

EREN NICE GUY

WE INCEL NOW

I dont know what's funnier: That Eren killed 80% of the population in an incel rage, or that said rage really had no reason to exist in the first place because Mikasa actually loved him.
None of this makes any sense.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm only here for the drama!

Kids this is why you wait for a series to be actually over before declaring it to be the best ever. Lots of such declarations when the manga was still running (and there was a huge #ThankYouIsayama trending hashtag when he apparently completed the last chapter or something)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was really good until the Annie eating pie page and it was all downhill from there

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Epilogue chapter is Sasha eating souls like potato.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ooff no amount of translation will make that sort of ending not be bad. Funnily enough I decided to watch the last ep of GoT again just to remember how bad it was. :laffo:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

hatty posted:

It was really good until the Annie eating pie page and it was all downhill from there

that page owned

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mightygerm posted:

I dont know what's funnier: That Eren killed 80% of the population in an incel rage, or that said rage really had no reason to exist in the first place because Mikasa actually loved him.
None of this makes any sense.

That's not why he did this.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jiro posted:

Ooff no amount of translation will make that sort of ending not be bad. Funnily enough I decided to watch the last ep of GoT again just to remember how bad it was. :laffo:

Remember when Bran didn't want to be king but the people elected a Bran The Three Eyed Raven Spirit God who'll live for thousands of years and is above humanity? And then somehow this wouldn't devolve into a civil war against the sorcerer king that has no connection to his prior humanity?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Oh Snapple! posted:

that page owned

Yeah, shame nothing past it matched it’s quality

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like that it was never revealed who the father of Historia's baby is.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

okay, so, having read that extended bad translation...I revise previous statement to: I’m kinda fine with the world and characters ending up where they are, though really do not like the Eren fellating amidst it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Wait for the final chapter is over

Wait to see if the anime changes anything starts now

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think there's a 50% chance the anime will change poo poo. They've already been showing different stuff in Attack Titan future visions, including what looks like a new regime in the post-credits of season 3. With this mostly negative reaction and the extra year of production time, I can see them modifying the ending.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Annointed posted:

Remember when Bran didn't want to be king but the people elected a Bran The Three Eyed Raven Spirit God who'll live for thousands of years and is above humanity? And then somehow this wouldn't devolve into a civil war against the sorcerer king that has no connection to his prior humanity?

I thought the only reason the previous Three Eyed Raven lived so long was because he merged with tree roots and was in the Children of the Forest's magic space? Then again it was never really explained all that well because the two showrunners were giant exposed hacks! :laffo:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

From another thing it seems 80% of Marley was wiped out not the world, which makes sense as the Rumbling did not get that far.

But we see other places being rumbled, not just Marley?

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
The ending was fine. Alright. Adequate. Doesn't ruin anything that came before it for me, technically ties up enough of the major plot beats I wanted it too, but doesn't leave me with much positive feelings. The worst part was everyone crying over how great Eren was, at least some of them should have felt ambivalent about all he did by the end.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I... think it's fine? Ended up pretty much how the previous dozen or so chapters leading up to it indicated it would.

I was so scared we were going to get a Madoka or time loop ending. That would have invalidated everything the characters went through and made the story truly meaningless. I'm fine with a bittersweet ending like this.

Also, Eren was just concerned about his friends being seen as heroes to the rest of the world, of course the Jaegerists see them as traitors. They kinda did betray Paradise's best interests at the end, strictly speaking!

Strawberry Pyramid fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 8, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
a nicer scanlation

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

The ending is about what I expected though I admit I am a little underwhelmed. Still love the series, still enjoyed the journey. I'm very excited to see all this animated because while I do love the series, I have a really hard time following the action in the manga and find myself constantly scrolling back up going 'wait, what?'

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Like, were people expecting a Naruto World Peace ending? Cause that would have been absurd, this feels earned and realistic.

Yeah, the hatred and wars and oppression will continue, but that's just human nature. The big thing is the Titans are out of the equation. Global disarmament means they have time now to slowly hash out peace over the centuries.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Edit: Never mind, I'm a few minutes late with this post.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

ok, this translation makes things a little better

it's a C+ ending to an otherwise A- story but eh, I'm not going to get worked up about it. Still looking forward to the anime.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I'm honestly amazed that Reiner made it to the end of the series. So many times I thought oh here we go, hes finally saying goodbye to this mortal coil, and yet here he is exchanging barbs with Jean :unsmith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

ok, this translation makes things a little better

it's a C+ ending to an otherwise A- story but eh, I'm not going to get worked up about it. Still looking forward to the anime.

I'm going C-. The Historia stuff removes most of the potential justification for her role in the last act. Also felt like a lot of the supporting characters didn't get full arcs in the end.

I don't hate it, but man. That is a loving disappointment of an ending. Maybe Eva and Chainsaw Man part 1 just got me too optimistic about the possibility of satisfying conclusions, but... yeah.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 8, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sad that "Thank you for becoming a mass murderer for our sake" is too spoiler to be a title because that like made me die laughing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Huh. He really did eat he own mom.

This sure is an ending.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm going C-. The Historia stuff removes all the potential justification for her role in the last act. Also felt like a lot of the supporting characters didn't get full arcs in the end.

I strongly suspect Historia was originally supposed to get all the development she had with Ymir with Eren instead, and her relationship with Ymir ended up being a happy accident of writing. Would have made the flow between early Historia to Uprising Historia to Timeskip Historia flow better.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's mediocre but frankly, this is more of an epilogue than the actual ending, so it's whatever, not really a GoT-level botch.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

imagining someone actually writing a story that gives hitler a sympathetic lelouch ending and lmaoing

this is the worst possible ending

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

imagining someone actually writing a story that gives hitler a sympathetic lelouch ending and lmaoing

this is the worst possible ending

Look, he HAD to murder all those children for reasons but since MIkasa might date someone else he's really sad about it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eh, it was about as good as it could be.

Probably should have had one more chapter, but hey it's not the worst ending to a manga I've read.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

After the last couple of chapters, I had low expectations on what the ending would be (outside of my joke comments). I know that there are people who are upset at the ending, but at the end of the day, it was clear that this ending was not going to be 100% satisfactory. I figured that it wasn't going to be amazing or ground-shattering or a total trash fire, but just something simple. And that's what I got, an ending. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't perfect, but the manga ended. At the very least, it feels like Isayama ended things on his terms. Far too many manga get kneecapped by their editors/publishers and either end differently than what the author(s) wanted, die a slow death while dragging things out far past the sell-by date, or get shoved off a cliff because the manga wasn't raking in the big bucks. So yeah, I can say that this is how Hajime Isayama's Wild Ride ended. And that's the best I could have hoped for.

Now to wait and see if the anime decides to change things up or stick to what's in the final chapter.

ImpAtom posted:

I am sad that "Thank you for becoming a mass murderer for our sake" is too spoiler to be a title because that like made me die laughing.
:same:
I look forward to Armin's VA saying that line with the straightest face possible when the anime reaches that point.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
There were several parts where I was sure I was reading a joke translation, and I'm still not entirely sure

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

:yeah:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I don't really care that the ending isn't satisfactory, but I do feel that Eren was done pretty dirty after 126.

Throughout the story Eren has a pretty consistent characterization and he's true to himself but suddenly he always wanted to genocide the world, finds romantic feelings at the 11th hour and Mr. Freedom, who delivered inspiring speeches and choices that on a greater level represented humanity's desire for freedom is in truth, the ultimate slave? I enjoy the sentiment that "Everyone is a slave to something, or else they can't move forward." but this is too much. I don't think the editor was doing her job here, because this feels like a lazy asspull ending.

Ultimately I feel like this is a "Mass Effect 3" ending where it just comes out of nowhere. Even the source of the titan power literally vanishes off screen. I'm definitely disappointed.

I don't think this is a game of thrones level disaster but it's definitely a shame I was really enjoying 138 chapters and the send-off is where the ball really got dropped for me.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 8, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
kinda hard to say that the people calling the series fash apologia were wrong after that lmao

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Shinjobi posted:

Eh, it was about as good as it could be.
This is how I feel, that was about as good as it could be while still fitting how the final arc played out.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Homora Gaykemi posted:

kinda hard to say that the people calling the series fash apologia were wrong after that lmao

Yeah this is kinda another thing. There is way more problematic stuff too.

So the rape victim fell in love with her rapist and that's why there has been 2000 years of misery? She needed someone to show you can kill the person you love...? But Mikasa clearly isn't over Eren, and likewise. It's clear he's watching on from the paths / afterlife and keeping her invested in him. It's pretty sad all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't really care that the ending isn't satisfactory, but I do feel that Eren was done pretty dirty after 126.

Throughout the story Eren has a pretty consistent characterization and he's true to himself but suddenly he always wanted to genocide the world, finds romantic feelings at the 11th hour and Mr. Freedom, who delivered inspiring speeches and choices that on a greater level represented humanity's desire for freedom is in truth, the ultimate slave? I enjoy the sentiment that "Everyone is a slave to something, or else they can't move forward." but this is too much. I don't think the editor was doing her job here, because this feels like a lazy asspull ending.

Ultimately I feel like this is a "Mass Effect 3" ending where it just comes out of nowhere. Even the source of the titan power literally vanishes off screen. I'm definitely disappointed.

This is entirely reasonable though? The power to see the past, present and future at once may have been an asspull but what it did to Eren's character is actually super reasonable?

Mr. Freedom being shown the consequences of his actions, how he will go onto to kill 80% of all humanity horrifies himself but over time as he encounters those choices in the present he realizes that he would never have made a different choice in that moment because he is himself. Those moments are exactly what Eren would have done. This snowballs into what happens in the end. Of course that's going to turn himself into a slave. It's one of those self fulfilling prophecies.

If you want to attack the author for putting Eren in that position, fair. It is pretty asspully.