Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
OK so, how does one find out about all of those special limited editions?

I find it mind-boggling that the guy has like six different versions of each of the Resident Evil movies but some of the sets he has are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blu-ray.com lets you search by movie title and it’ll show you every version that’s been released, you can also expand the search to include other countries so you can find out if, like, Sweden or Brazil or whatever happened to get a cool special edition that no one else got.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like how she starts talking faster at the end, like the enormity of the nerdiness of what her husband had done hit her all at once and she suddenly got embarrassed.

I do see a few CRTs scattered through there that could be set up to play random poo poo. The whole setup looks amazing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I keep my physical collection limited primarily to movies I feel really love, or have a good feeling I'll really love.

I've never seen Saw, but I pre-ordered the 4k regardless because I like James Wan.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I do see a few CRTs scattered through there that could be set up to play random poo poo. The whole setup looks amazing.

Okay fine 10/10 but I get to do a shelf of Staff Picks :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Okay fine 10/10 but I get to do a shelf of Staff Picks :colbert:

If it's you're collection, they're all staff picks

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

If it's you're collection, they're all staff picks

That's not as fun. Every time someone comes over to my house they have to update 5 new staff picks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Roth posted:

I keep my physical collection limited primarily to movies I feel really love, or have a good feeling I'll really love.

I've never seen Saw, but I pre-ordered the 4k regardless because I like James Wan.

Oh hey that comes out on my birthday. Happy birthday to me! :toot:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

feedmyleg posted:

That's not as fun. Every time someone comes over to my house they have to update 5 new staff picks.

RFID every title and have the staff picks shelf have rfid sensors that populate the top of a plex now playing list

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

this remaster of Memories is wild

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1379517318712025089?s=20

and it'll include an option to switch between the original version and the restored version in the options. Now THATS how you do a restoration of an old animated movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

and it'll include an option to switch between the original version and the restored version in the options. Now THATS how you do a restoration of an old animated movie.

Not familiar with it but gently caress you for making me want to watch an anime

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just saw the Magnetic Rose segment for the first time last year and it was impressive as hell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

dorium posted:

Why is this not 4k? :(

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Crap I missed the Weird Al talk :( I have one of the few copies of Peter and the Wolf.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

Crap I missed the Weird Al talk :( I have one of the few copies of Peter and the Wolf.

It's never too late. I wish I had that release.

:whatup:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

If you go home with someone and they don't have any Weird Al albums, don't gently caress them.

Look at this big shot who can afford to have standards.

King Vidiot posted:

I don't have any Weird Al albums, but I do have UHF on VHS, DVD and blu ray and a Weird Al photo book. Does that count?

My copy of UHF is signed by Weird Al. :smug:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Speaking of classroom movies, I wonder what movies teachers these days put on for their "gently caress it" days. Probably a lot of MCU.

Everyone should at least own a copy of Running With Scissors that's pretty scratched up, in a CD binder with the CD case buried on a shelf somewhere else.

Give it another year or two and it's going to be The Green Book or some poo poo.

Davros1 posted:

Ours was Dead Poets Society. God, what a piece of poo poo.

Thankfully I only had to sit through that pile of poo poo once. I barely paid attention to it so I only remember the desk standing thing and Kurtwood Smith bullying his son into suicide or something. I might have even slept through some of it. Afterward when I started talking about what a piece of poo poo that movie is this one girl I know got really, really offended like I called her mother a whore or something. I know some people like lovely movies or have an attachment to them for whatever reason but I still cannot fathom liking The Dead Poets Society so much that someone calling it a bad movie would result in that kind of serious emotional response.

Boinks posted:

I feel like everyone should know that's not just a Weird Al record, it's also a loving Wendy Carlos record. For whatever reason it's been OOP on any format for about 30 years and it fetches high prices.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I know The Help and Freedom Writers is popular here too.

Other than that, Blackadder.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I had a high school English teacher show us The Dead Poets Society and then made us write a short paper on which character we "identified" with. I couldn't write "none" so I... don't loving remember who I wrote about and barely remember that movie. What a waste of Robin Williams.

That same teacher also once showed us that Romeo and Juliet movie where Olivia Hussey shows her boobs. I think that's a rite of passage for everybody, if the teacher doesn't fast forward past it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ours slapped a folder over the tv, perfectly-timed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Meanwhile my health teacher played a video of a childbirth and then he paused it at the exact second it showed the placenta coming out and said "Hey, what was for lunch today?".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I had a high school English teacher show us The Dead Poets Society and then made us write a short paper on which character we "identified" with. I couldn't write "none" so I... don't loving remember who I wrote about and barely remember that movie. What a waste of Robin Williams.

That same teacher also once showed us that Romeo and Juliet movie where Olivia Hussey shows her boobs. I think that's a rite of passage for everybody, if the teacher doesn't fast forward past it.

I can't believe there wasn't a tv version teachers could have taped to use. Comet blurs out the dork on Michelangelo's David in the opening to the 90s Outer Limits.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

CPL593H posted:

Meanwhile my health teacher played a video of a childbirth and then he paused it at the exact second it showed the placenta coming out and said "Hey, what was for lunch today?".

Ours rewound the video so the baby went back in

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

Ours rewound the video so the baby went back in

That's fantastic.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

Not familiar with it but gently caress you for making me want to watch an anime

Welcome to the other club of self hatred but also 1000 year old dragons in all sorts of forms.

feedmyleg posted:

Why is this not 4k? :(

Dunno, discotek has done 4K releases (they just released Lupin the Third: Castle of Caligostro in January and it looks great). I do know rights holders for Japanese animated films have far too much control and say over what gets done for their releases. Maybe they halted a 4K release in the hopes of double dipping in the future.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can confirm that the Castle of Cagliostro 4k is gorgeous. Hopefully they do Secret of Mamo next.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Their release of Space Adventure Cobra is also a stellar 4k. That’s a retina melter on a big enough screen.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A History Of Violence isn’t a title that’s included, it’s just a description of what’s happening with that box set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

"Here's a bunch of crap cluttering up our warehouse so we crammed it all into a single box in the hopes that you'll buy it."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

"Here's a bunch of crap cluttering up our warehouse so we crammed it all into a single box in the hopes that you'll buy it."

The couple of movies in there I'd actually want, I'd just buy individually.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Man, looks like the 00's were a bad time for WB.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

That's just volume 1 :kheldragar:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, LotR and Harry Potter got them through it fine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Those random box sets are like the one thing I can't deal with because it completely busts my shelving system. I need to have the ability to file individual films by alphabetical order. Without that, it's complete chaos. I do have some varied sets but there's always a common theme to file them by, like my Vincent Price sets obviously go in the P section for Price, stuff like that. Hammer Horror sets go under H. I guess a WB set could go under W?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Those random box sets are like the one thing I can't deal with because it completely busts my shelving system. I need to have the ability to file individual films by alphabetical order. Without that, it's complete chaos. I do have some varied sets but there's always a common theme to file them by, like my Vincent Price sets obviously go in the P section for Price, stuff like that. Hammer Horror sets go under H. I guess a WB set could go under W?

I guess it depends on if they're individually packaged blu rays in a big box to hold them (in which case they're just repackaged barebones releases) or if they all come in a multi-disc case. If it's the former, just throw the outer box away and put them on the shelf by themselves... unless you organize your movies by studio.

I mean, look at the difference in quality from the 00s to the 80s https://www.amazon.com/Best-80s-10-...08D4H2WJZ&psc=1

Not a single bad movie in that lot, like I'd be tempted to get that even though I already have The Goonies and Gremlins (and yeah I should have most of those already, I know, but most of my purchases are VinSyn, Severin, Arrow, Shout or Criterion).

e: Jesus, vol. 1 is even better https://www.amazon.com/Best-80s-10-...DDW0CKERP2N4MWE

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For the longest time I went strict alphabetical, so something like that WB box set would have annoyed me too. Lately I've gotten into the "boutique label" thing and grouped together my Criterion, Arrow, Scream Factory and 88 Films. If I own more than 5 of a boutique label, I'll group them together. Vinegar Syndrome, Indicator, BFI and Eureka are getting close. Though I suppose this wouldn't solve the WB problem since it's not boutique. But it's moot because I have no interest in that set.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I was very very happy when I got the Columbia set home and saw that each film came with it's own case and slipcover as if it'd been an individual release.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

For the longest time I went strict alphabetical, so something like that WB box set would have annoyed me too. Lately I've gotten into the "boutique label" thing and grouped together my Criterion, Arrow, Scream Factory and 88 Films. If I own more than 5 of a boutique label, I'll group them together. Vinegar Syndrome, Indicator, BFI and Eureka are getting close. Though I suppose this wouldn't solve the WB problem since it's not boutique. But it's moot because I have no interest in that set.

:same:

aesthetics above all, gotta have those shelves looking nice

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’ve debated going full aesthetic chaos and organizing my stuff by spine color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.oncinematimeline.com/victorville-coding-system

I've been moving my organization over to this