Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I was fully thinking like a log cabin and almost said Teddy Roosevelt.

I just can't believe I actually told the story of the swearing in on the airplane and never connected it with "cabin" :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1379476058429399043?s=20

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Roosevelt was literally camping/cabining when McKinley died so it's an entirely reasonable guess

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Poque posted:

Roosevelt was literally camping/cabining when McKinley died so it's an entirely reasonable guess

Close, he was camping when McKinley was shot but stayed since it wasn't thought as serious. He then left for Buffalo when he was told death was likely & was enroute when it happened.

He was only told when he arrived that day so it couldn't have been him.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Just catching up now, yesterday’s DD bets... woof!

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Rodgers so far is doing a good schtick as "the social studies teacher is out sick so the P.E. teacher has to put on a tweed jacket and substitute."

I doubt it's intentional but I find it equal parts endearing and also frightening, since I still have nightmares about forgetting to do spanish homework. My spanish teacher was also the basketball coach.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I'm not completely sold on Rodgers, but he does throw some drat good shade on occasion, and I think that's an essential qualification for the job. Overall, I'd give him about a 7/10 at this point.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
He has a real "casual dad" energy. Unlike most of the other guest hosts, he's growing on me the longer he does it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He’s a bit too low energy on the interviews imo but those are the worst part and otherwise his laid back energy works better much better than it really ought to

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The non-laugh-track laughter when he asked if it was smoky inside Willie Nelson's tour bus was pretty good

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
edit: oops misread

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

xarph posted:

Rodgers so far is doing a good schtick as "the social studies teacher is out sick so the P.E. teacher has to put on a tweed jacket and substitute."

I doubt it's intentional but I find it equal parts endearing and also frightening, since I still have nightmares about forgetting to do spanish homework. My spanish teacher was also the basketball coach.

Fun fact: My high school's legendary football coach (multiple state championships over the decades he coached) also loved to teach history. I took several of his classes because they were so good. His favorite was the Civil War which he had a whole year long class to cover it.

We also played a lot of Jeopardy and I was the show off who knew all the answers so eventually coach made me be the host because no one else could beat me.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Caught up on Rodgers episodes and he’s been doing a good job in my opinion. His cadence and voice needs some getting used to, but that’s the case with all of the guest hosts. Certainly a nice change of pace after Dr. Oz. His habit of reading out the full names of people when only their last names are given in responses seems to slow down the game a bit, but I guess his snark when he said he wasn’t going to read out Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart when he previously read out Talleyrand’s full name made me grin a bit.

And yeah, totally gives off “coach subbing for other teacher” vibes, and while I didn’t experience much of that in high school (specialized math and science high school here that basically gave no shits about sports except swimming from what I can remember, so pretty much our coaches were dedicated PE teachers), I can kinda relate through an intro to business law class I took in college taught by the football coach which mostly had football players in there taking the class because they were friendly with the guy.

I’ve seen a bunch of articles online about how Mike Richards was the best of the guest hosts so far over Ken, and I’m not seeing it. Maybe because of his previous hosting history made him look more comfortable with the job?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

I’ve seen a bunch of articles online about how Mike Richards was the best of the guest hosts so far over Ken, and I’m not seeing it. Maybe because of his previous hosting history made him look more comfortable with the job?

it's an astroturfing psyop

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Doesnt Mike Richards have too many responsibilities to also become a full time host?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Its not that I dislike Rodgers, its just that his voice/reading is auditory ambien to me. Couric wasn't great either, but I'd take slightly patronizing overenthusiastic well-meaning mom tone over Rodgers.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone once described mike richards as "the kind of host who would offer you a cloudy beverage from sex house" and i've not been able to think of anything else when his name comes up.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Spokes posted:

it's an astroturfing psyop

That would probably explain the campaign for LeVar to host but you don't have to take my word for it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

someone once described mike richards as "the kind of host who would offer you a cloudy beverage from sex house" and i've not been able to think of anything else when his name comes up.

This is the most specific reference I have ever seen and I just wanted to let you know that it was also perfect and I greatly appreciated it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I shouldn't do this because I'd be way more embarrassing, but I cracked up at Abbey ringing in with two bizarre guesses about Hungary inside of three clues

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hell yeah I got Bogotá and Buenos Aries :cool:

Edit: Aires, dang text prediction

CPColin fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 9, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

CPColin posted:

I said Buenos Aries and Lima, because I remembered Brasília is literally carved out of the Amazon and the capital isn’t Rio.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Island Nation posted:

That would probably explain the campaign for LeVar to host but you don't have to take my word for it.

it is bizarre that despite literally everyone i've ever met foaming at the mouth about how good levar would be there's been no official comment anywhere.

also NOT bizarre tonight: everyone in FJ bet wrong! great! i love to see it!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

:hfive:

Same, I had a shot at the third one for funsies but said Caracas instead of Lima.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why did third chair bet anything in FJ? :psyduck:

Why did second chair not bet enough to cover first chair doubling his bet? :psyduck:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Impressive to try out and get on the show without ever having watched it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

What is BLACK FUCKIN FLAG

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I have to give Aaron Rodgers credit for having the best poker face out of all the hosts, and never giving away when a contestant was really close on a mispronunciation

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Doesnt Mike Richards have too many responsibilities to also become a full time host?

He's the executive producer of Wheel of Fortune (and was responsible for Drew Carey getting that job, as a matter of fact, while he did audition to host it) as well as Jeopardy, which means every department--the question writers, the contestant coordinators, the rights clearance people, the people who arrange the various tournaments each year--all reports to him. It's a pretty significant responsibility, by all accounts he is paid very, very handsomely, and I highly doubt he's just going to walk away from shepherding America's two most popular game shows in order to host one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Timby posted:

He's the executive producer of Wheel of Fortune (and was responsible for Drew Carey getting that job, as a matter of fact, while he did audition to host it) as well as Jeopardy, which means every department--the question writers, the contestant coordinators, the rights clearance people, the people who arrange the various tournaments each year--all reports to him. It's a pretty significant responsibility, by all accounts he is paid very, very handsomely, and I highly doubt he's just going to walk away from shepherding America's two most popular game shows in order to host one.

Drew Carey is on the price is right though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which timeline did I end up in?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Iron Crowned posted:

Which timeline did I end up in?

You should probably go back if you can.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was half-asleep and swapped Wheel for TPiR in my head, sorry. :(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rodgers saying Pasquale got his win from a good bet in the last episode... :ughh:

It's a real shame he ended up losing from a runaway rather than from making another bad bet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Middle podium going by his last name tonight. I don't remember ever seeing that before!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah and him ringing in practically over his head was a little much. We theorized that he wanted to show everyone that no really he knows the answers and it’s just this gosh darn buzzer of mine that isn’t working.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/4...V2OypmOUnD5AE4Y

This is an excellent article.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Middle podium going by his last name tonight. I don't remember ever seeing that before!

In my first game the returning champ and other challenger were both named Eric, so the challenger had to change his name to something else, a nickname or whatever. I remember telling him this was his chance; whatever he picked as his Jeopardy nickname would 100% stick forever. Maybe this was the same kind of situation?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Erwin posted:

Yeah and him ringing in practically over his head was a little much. We theorized that he wanted to show everyone that no really he knows the answers and it’s just this gosh darn buzzer of mine that isn’t working.

It got obnoxious after a while, though, and it looked like he was holding up his buzzer when Rodgers went to him for his Final answer, which seemed like really poor sportsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I can get behind Aaron Rodgers throwing shade right out of the gate