Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

hatelull posted:

It'd be ridiculously awesome if that really was established continuity between the show and that silly bloated film.

I mean, technically, they've already crossed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

There were 4 colors, and I think the final color is going to be blue.

Blue is supposed to be Psych's color but all his energy was purple for whatever reason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did I miss something or was the transition between Cisco saying he was going to talk to Chester's dad and then Chester showing up to talk to his dad kind of awkward?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I noticed that too, it was an odd transition.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I thought the episode overall was really, really bad. The editing, direction, and acting in Chester's whole story just did not land. The only good part of it was when everyone showed off their costumes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Having a Groundhog Day episode with only two loops is certainly novel. Not in a good way. At all.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I feel like there's was a draft of this episode with at least two more loops in it, where Cisco slowly figures out why Chester doesn't want to go to his grandma's, maybe where the guy in the pink shirt that Chester stared and for way, way too long does something. Some other running gags like you want from this kind of episode.

But if the payoff is still talking down Deon with a poorly written speech delivered by an actor that's not up to the job, to an actor not up to the job, it was still going to suck.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there's a specific reason why Deon was the Time force, aside from the fact that his life turned into hot garbage.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Aren't the Forces supposed to be entities, not actual people?

Like, Barry isn't the Speed Force, just someone who uses it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ApeHawk posted:

Aren't the Forces supposed to be entities, not actual people?

Like, Barry isn't the Speed Force, just someone who uses it.

With Deon they seem to be building to the reveal that the other “Forces” are just people like Barry who’ve been imbued with superpowers.

I’m also kind of wary of the Speed Force itself. Seems a bit shifty. Like it knows more than it’s saying.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

I wonder if there's a specific reason why Deon was the Time force, aside from the fact that his life turned into hot garbage.

It's the Still Force. Time Force is a season of Power Rangers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know Cisco gets to name stuff but if they wanted to use the comic book naming convention they should have done a better job setting them up because nothing about the guy this episode screamed "Still" Force, same with Psyche being "Sage" Force when his thing was all fear all the time.

Also this season as a whole has been kind of wonky seeing as we had the awkward plot of Nash dying to power the artificial Speed Force only for them to destroy it one episode later.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like the CW shows kind of suffer from, like, short attention span syndrome or something? Like, every show is good until the next show comes out, then its quality nosedives. Right now Superman & Lois is looking all new and cinematic, while The Flash is the ol’ grandpa of the group now.

The exception being Legends of Tomorrow, which started out as dogshit and then blasted off into the stupid stratosphere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was already renewed for another season. Time to take it out back and shoot it in the head.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Phylodox posted:

I feel like the CW shows kind of suffer from, like, short attention span syndrome or something? Like, every show is good until the next show comes out, then its quality nosedives. Right now Superman & Lois is looking all new and cinematic, while The Flash is the ol’ grandpa of the group now.

The exception being Legends of Tomorrow, which started out as dogshit and then blasted off into the stupid stratosphere.

Also the 20+ episode seasons really beat the poo poo out of these shows in terms of quality. Each show, aside from maybe Season 1 of Batwoman, starts each season out pretty stellar and then very quickly dwindles after like episode 5 or 6 as the momentum runs out and the show enters a holding pattern until like sweeps week or so.

The only shows that have dodged this iceburg have been Legends with its 16-ish episode seasons, the first season of Black Lightning (which was only 13 episodes and flying under the assumption that they weren't getting a second season), and the last season of Arrow (which was basically only six episodes once you factor out Crisis and the failed Canaries backdoor pilot that went nowhere).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

Yeah, I feel like there's was a draft of this episode with at least two more loops in it, where Cisco slowly figures out why Chester doesn't want to go to his grandma's, maybe where the guy in the pink shirt that Chester stared and for way, way too long does something. Some other running gags like you want from this kind of episode.

But if the payoff is still talking down Deon with a poorly written speech delivered by an actor that's not up to the job, to an actor not up to the job, it was still going to suck.

Yeah, the episode felt super cut short. If it would've focused more on Cisco and Chester's Excellent Adventure and taken less time out of the Flash's seemingly corporate mandated Feelings Time, it could've been much better

So come on CW release the Snyder Cut

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Phylodox posted:

I’m also kind of wary of the Speed Force itself. Seems a bit shifty. Like it knows more than it’s saying.

Something's definitely up with the Speed Force.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, the episode felt super cut short. If it would've focused more on Cisco and Chester's Excellent Adventure and taken less time out of the Flash's seemingly corporate mandated Feelings Time, it could've been much better

They backed themselves into a corner with the whole unless you hold the Maguffin you revert back to your mental state in that era when the loop resets thing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

howe_sam posted:

They backed themselves into a corner with the whole unless you hold the Maguffin you revert back to your mental state in that era when the loop resets thing.

They didn't have to break the device after one loop. During "the montage" they could have had a fun sequence of Chester yelling pop culture stuff at Cisco and him getting increasingly irate at their poor quality.

"Powerpuff Girls? Really? That's what you wake me up with?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah it's a reeeaallly contrived self-imposed limitation that lead to the least interesting possible outcome. Then again there was also no stakes for them to fix anything in the "cycle" since...we didn't actually see any notable stuff happening that day. Since Cisco and Chester were time displaced by 25 years there was nothing tied to them, so it was just them walking around the city with 90s landmarks and no interesting loop events recurring anyway.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
No one was wearing those clothes in 1998, those are all early 90's outfits.... CANCEL THIS SHOW!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burning_Monk posted:

No one was wearing those clothes in 1998, those are all early 90's outfits.... CANCEL THIS SHOW!

That's why the clothes were all in the lost and found and most of the kids were treating them like obvious narcs*

*(the one oblivious white kid was obv just happy to talk about himself, as was the guy rapping, nerdy kid and goth girl were both suspicious and either said so or hosed with them)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I know Cisco gets to name stuff but if they wanted to use the comic book naming convention they should have done a better job setting them up because nothing about the guy this episode screamed "Still" Force, same with Psyche being "Sage" Force when his thing was all fear all the time.

Also this season as a whole has been kind of wonky seeing as we had the awkward plot of Nash dying to power the artificial Speed Force only for them to destroy it one episode later.

This is still disproportionately annoying me. Deon just time traveled and did weird time-breachy stuff, he wasn't manipulating the flow of time! There's absolutely no reason to call it the Still Force! And Psyche didn't have any kind of increased intelligence or mental capacity, he just scared people! It should be the SCARE Force AAAAGH

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
I'm dying for someone to ask "Nora" something about Mercury/Hermes.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
This episode made me like Chester. He’s got good chemistry with Cisco too. Barry should get sick more often.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Burning_Monk posted:

Yea I'm watching it now and I was thinking that no one dressed like that in 1998. Honestly Cisco and Chester's starter outfits fit in fine for the era.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean the big thing would be that nobody would think they were teenagers since they are very clearly grown rear end men.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I'm watching it now and I was thinking that no one dressed like that in 1998. Honestly Cisco and Chester's starter outfits fit in fine for the era.

Seinfeld season 8 is the precise moment that fashion switches from 80s/early 90s, to modern. So this all tracks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

I mean the big thing would be that nobody would think they were teenagers since they are very clearly grown rear end men.

Yea that was way more obvious, they straight up say Cisco is 30. I agree that they should have had a bunch more resets withe Chester bringing back Cisco with weirder and weirder references.

Heh, Chester telling his dad his name is John Boyega.

Also now with This is how we do it they've included 2 of my favorite 90s party jams in CW shows.

Holy crap i know what posters were saying about Martin lookin' great in this episode. I like how he and Iris get sweet classic fashions while Frost and Cait get terrible 60s and 80s outfits.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 9, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Frost and Caitlin were both earing 70s outfits but one was business and the other was hippie.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Caitlin was definitely wearing a late-80s powersuit with ultra-spraycanned hair.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Seventh Arrow posted:

Caitlin was definitely wearing a late-80s powersuit with ultra-spraycanned hair.

Yea and Frost was basically just wearing what Janice Joplin died in.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I'm getting a bit tired of the Sisko and Chester being able to instantly bodge together any tech out of scrap to solve everything.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Phylodox posted:

It worked for Arrow's early seasons and the Flash team I think still borrows heavy from there structure.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Mr Beens posted:

I'm getting a bit tired of the Sisko and Chester being able to instantly bodge together any tech out of scrap to solve everything.

Isn't Chester's whole thing that he dumpster dived so hard he turned himself into black hole. I'll give him a pass.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

GigaPeon posted:

Isn't Chester's whole thing that he dumpster dived so hard he turned himself into black hole. I'll give him a pass.

He also live-streamed his homebrew black hole going haywire.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
That's Captain Dumpster Diver to you, fiend!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Yea and Frost was basically just wearing what Janice Joplin died in.

Should have went with Jackie Jormp-Jomp

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah those days for kids were like Adidas jackets, Nike hoodies, baggy jeans, gigantic ill fitting polos and poo poo. They looked like they stepped out of a Saved By The Bell episode not Dawson's Creek.

And yes I know streaming wasn't a thing back then so maybe popular movies had more sticking power but I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo about Space Jam in 1998 other than maybe playing the soundtrack

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 11, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody cared about the film but that RKelly track was fuckim huuuuuuge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WhyteRyce posted:

Should have went with Jackie Jormp-Jomp

Too bad Frost's legs don't bend the wrong way

quote:

Yeah those days for kids were like Adidas jackets, Nike hoodies, baggy jeans, gigantic ill fitting polos and poo poo. They looked like they stepped out of a Saved By The Bell episode not Dawson's Creek.

And yes I know streaming wasn't a thing back then so maybe popular movies had more sticking power but I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo about Space Jam in 1998 other than maybe playing the soundtrack

It had the feeling of "the 90s happened all at the same time right?". No, The 90s has some very distinct parts; 90-92 it's still the 80s but brighter;92-95 flannel; 96-99 J Crew and Eddie Bauer forever baby! That's a jokey timeline but very much how I remember it. Regular, not cool peoples, fashion honestly hasn't changed that much in the last 20 years. Chester's plaid pants were totally something I remember from the mid 90s.

And people somehow seem to forgot that at the time, Space Jam was considered a bad movie. It was something your little brother who you hate liked, and you know anything that he likes is stupid. He likes that weird pokemon thing, that's never going anywhere.