Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one that's an option on the Switch Online's streaming NES/SNES games works pretty well I find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Defunctland did a video about the Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego gameshow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVVkSlXl41Q

I watched the poo poo out of that in the early 90s. Though it was at the tale end of when kids shows would be entertaining for me.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

RIP Lynne Thigpen. Carl Tart did a pretty fantastic Chief on Comedy Bang Bang.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

RIP Lynne Thigpen. Carl Tart did a pretty fantastic Chief on Comedy Bang Bang.

I remembered her, and I remembered Rockapella but I didn't remember the host at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Thomamelas posted:

I remembered her, and I remembered Rockapella but I didn't remember the host at all.

Yea, i honestly remember the show as just having the Chief and Rockapella and no other host. Just another generic white guy in the early 90s.

I thought the part about them having to change stuff due to the world itself changing. I also remember the end game being really hard because it was clear some of the kids couldn't lift the things to mark the countries.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm 99% sure I attended a Carmen Sandiego taping as a kid, but since I didn't understand some of the finer points of how a TV taping would look different in person, I assumed it was some sort of knock-off or "touring" version. (I grew up about a half hour away from Astoria, where it was taped season 2+)

Later in life I went to a Letterman taping and a Conan taping, and now it all makes sense. Those sets always look so much smaller in person. Even to a kid.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, i honestly remember the show as just having the Chief and Rockapella and no other host. Just another generic white guy in the early 90s.

I thought the part about them having to change stuff due to the world itself changing. I also remember the end game being really hard because it was clear some of the kids couldn't lift the things to mark the countries.

As a kid my worst nightmare was getting the africa map at the end. That was the one map I would have failed.

Also I was a gigantic nerd whose nightmares were about geography competitions.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm 99% sure I attended a Carmen Sandiego taping as a kid, but since I didn't understand some of the finer points of how a TV taping would look different in person, I assumed it was some sort of knock-off or "touring" version. (I grew up about a half hour away from Astoria, where it was taped season 2+)

Later in life I went to a Letterman taping and a Conan taping, and now it all makes sense. Those sets always look so much smaller in person. Even to a kid.

My family went to Disney World and Universal Studios for vacation in the summer of, I think it was 1993 when I was in 6th grade. Nickelodeon Studios had just finished filming Clarissa Explains it all, so we got to see the taping of a few episodes of Weinerville.

I ended up being in several audience shots including a couple closeups. It was a real awkward in 7th grade when a few of my classmates had spotted me on there.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

As a kid my worst nightmare was getting the africa map at the end. That was the one map I would have failed.

Also I was a gigantic nerd whose nightmares were about geography competitions.

I always thought I would have dominated on that show and those kids were idiots, but I’ve since come to realize I never took nerves into account (despite being riddled with anxiety all my miserable goddamn life) so I offer my apologies to a bunch of preteens whom I’ve never outwardly insulted.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Iron Crowned posted:

My family went to Disney World and Universal Studios for vacation in the summer of, I think it was 1993 when I was in 6th grade. Nickelodeon Studios had just finished filming Clarissa Explains it all, so we got to see the taping of a few episodes of Weinerville.

I ended up being in several audience shots including a couple closeups. It was a real awkward in 7th grade when a few of my classmates had spotted me on there.

How was that awkward and not baller? I would think you could just bask in your 15 minutes (seconds) of fame right there!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some portions of some games used crt specific hacks, but a lot of people way overcompensate and say that nobody was ever supposed to see sharp pixels, and well

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sir Lemming posted:

Too bad I'll never get to see a Conan taping, even if I manage to go to LA ever. Seriously, the 90s was when my parents let me stay up as late as I wanted for the first time and while looking for boobs on late night TV i found Conan in his like 2nd or 3rd season and was "wait, this is exactly my humor".

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The first year or so was rough, and Conan’s nervousness was palpable in the first episode. I remember seeing it once in its first season wondering, “what the hell is this goofy crap?” even though, like you, his humor totally resonated with me and, as a fan of Letterman at the time, his style didn’t really seem that far removed. I’m going to chalk it up to a lack of confidence that went well beyond his usual self deprecation.

I gave him another chance a bit later and was completely hooked. Insomnia sucked but at least I had the best possible entertainment for it. Conan is, to me, the greatest late night host, transcending Letterman. I’m too young to have really appreciated Carson, but I don’t think he really jibes with me anyway.

root beer has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Apr 8, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

The first year or so was rough, and Conan’s nervousness was palpable in the first episode. I remember seeing it once in its first season wondering, “what the hell is this goofy crap?” even though, like you, his humor totally resonated with me and, as a fan of Letterman at the time, his style didn’t really seem that far removed. I’m going to chalk it up to a lack of confidence that went well beyond his usual self deprecation.

I gave him another chance a bit later and was completely hooked. Insomnia sucked but at least I had the best possible entertainment for it. Conan is, to me, the greatest late night host, transcending Letterman. I’m too young to have really appreciated Carson, but I don’t think he really jibes with me anyway.

I remember seeing some Carsons before Leno took over, and yea, it was old man humor. Conan probably clicked with me because he's only about 15 years older than me so that means he was young enough to make jokes about stuff I actually had some cultural knowlage about and also lined up with Kids in the Hall and that early 90s Silver Age of SNL.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
A SNES commercial that uses a Butthole Surfers song? Peak '90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArjEUhBgP4

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Blood Magnet posted:

loving awesome

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blood Magnet posted:

I feel like that ad was to counter the thought at the time that Nintendo was for kids, because it really was purely marketing towards younger people at the time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It seems to be trying to do both with that one. There are a lot of youngish kids in it as well as teenagers, and the line about "children are the future." It's got that kind of energy like it's trying to market to the younger brother of the family.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Blood Magnet posted:

Oh, yes. That's the stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And any excuse to post the actual video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNAkbbKycCM

Also it wasn't until the Todd in the Shadows video about Pepper did I learn that Gabby Haynes did sing the lyrics for Jesus Built My Hotrod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

An old argument from high school could have been settled, as some people insisted it was Butthole Surfers, but other said it was Ministry.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Heath posted:

It seems to be trying to do both with that one. There are a lot of youngish kids in it as well as teenagers, and the line about "children are the future." It's got that kind of energy like it's trying to market to the younger brother of the family.

Yeah I remember as a kid who was a little too young for the grunge era (I was 8 when Nevermind came out) that the older brothers and sisters of my friends and the secondary school kids in plaid shirts and band tees (who I imagined were on their way home to watch horror movies and read 2000AD) were the loving coolest and I aspire to it to this day. I imagine advertisers know to sell who kids want to be, not who they are.

I remember hating seeing other kids in adverts, but loved the kind of stuff in the Nintendo ad or this Sega ad:

https://youtu.be/E36JA1meigk

or this anarchic UK Nintendo ad:

https://youtu.be/OwjPQ3pNMKY

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Blood Magnet posted:

drat that kicks rear end

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Blood Magnet posted:

Wow that's wild. Strikes me as more of a Sega thing to do.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Blood Magnet posted:

Beeping the hell in the song makes it seem much worse.

Give the world a wedgie.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Nintendo America got up to some weird poo poo. not quite 90s but in the early '00s they used the Goldfrapp song Strict Machine for a gameboy commercial. that song is incredibly horny if you look into it so it's pretty funny it got used for a video game ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0el2TPmbH8

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Horny or violent is fine, as long as nobody uses disgusting language like "hell" or "drat".

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

I got into the Butthole Surfers specifically from that commercial. I bought Independent Worm Saloon because it had Goofy's Concerns and Who Was In My Room Last Night.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah I remember as a kid who was a little too young for the grunge era (I was 8 when Nevermind came out) that the older brothers and sisters of my friends and the secondary school kids in plaid shirts and band tees (who I imagined were on their way home to watch horror movies and read 2000AD) were the loving coolest and I aspire to it to this day. I imagine advertisers know to sell who kids want to be, not who they are.

I remember hating seeing other kids in adverts, but loved the kind of stuff in the Nintendo ad or this Sega ad:

https://youtu.be/E36JA1meigk

or this anarchic UK Nintendo ad:

https://youtu.be/OwjPQ3pNMKY

Is that loving Methos from Highlander

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

Some of you will see a regular diskette, others will just smile.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Some of you will see a regular diskette, others will just smile.

just l33t hax0r things.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Catching the edge and having the ball flake a chunk was totally bogus

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I remember fully disassembling my mouse once a week and doing a detail cleaning. I had to do that because my office-mate ate his Cheetos with his mouse hand. "NEVER EAT CHEETOS WITH YOUR MOUSE HAND".

We shared the same computer as it was a high-end workstation for 3D design and rendering. There was only the one so we shared. I used a different computer for modeling, he used the other. We liked different software but needed the same workstation for rendering.

Then he'd use his right hand to eat Cheetos and use the mouse. Left hand is for Cheetos and don't touch the drat screen. Also, eat the Cheetos by shaking them in your mouth. Don't touch them. Never touch Cheetos.

Cheetos.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I think this car that parked outside my building belongs here.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Needs to be parked outside a TCBY.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Axlerod posted:

I love that their name used to be This Can't Be Yogurt until they got sued by I Can't Believe It's Yogurt! and had to force a goofy backronym so they could still use the initials.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Guy Axlerod posted:

And painted on a Honda Jazz.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mostlygray posted:

I remember fully disassembling my mouse once a week and doing a detail cleaning. I had to do that because my office-mate ate his Cheetos with his mouse hand. "NEVER EAT CHEETOS WITH YOUR MOUSE HAND".

We shared the same computer as it was a high-end workstation for 3D design and rendering. There was only the one so we shared. I used a different computer for modeling, he used the other. We liked different software but needed the same workstation for rendering.

Then he'd use his right hand to eat Cheetos and use the mouse. Left hand is for Cheetos and don't touch the drat screen. Also, eat the Cheetos by shaking them in your mouth. Don't touch them. Never touch Cheetos.

Cheetos.

Cheetos are for chopsticks

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I love that their name used to be This Can't Be Yogurt until they got sued by I Can't Believe It's Yogurt! and had to force a goofy backronym so they could still use the initials.

In Canada, I recall it being "The Countire's Best Yogurt".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I think this car that parked outside my building belongs here.

DO you live In Ohio? Because I have seen this car driving in the wild.