Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I remember being very weirded out when they all got to the real Earth and then everyone promptly like ... hosed off across the planet to never talk to one another again. Real bizarre poo poo and not at all how people behave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pattonesque posted:

I remember being very weirded out when they all got to the real Earth and then everyone promptly like ... hosed off across the planet to never talk to one another again. Real bizarre poo poo and not at all how people behave!

The thing that always hosed me off (and I've probably complained about it in this thread already, sorry) was that the star map, using the constellations we know today, pointed them to the Real Earth, right? Only they got there and it's blown up. So whattatwist, they go to the REAL REAL EARTH which is .... somewhere else? Which means the stars will be different and the constellations don't work. But THAT's our Earth? Lollll sike? :confused:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The less you all think of the finale of BSG the better.

I still chuckle at the memory of that one extra on the street who totally checks out the supposedly invisible Six in her dress on the last non-dancing robot shot of the entire series.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hot take, but BSGs problem isn't that it leaned too hard into weird religious stuff, it's that it didn't lean hard enough into it. S1 ends with conclusive proof of the historical accuracy of the Colonial religion, Head-Baltar proves the existence of the supernatural to the audience, Pythia and the cycle of time explains the constant Cylon-Human wars across multiple different planets etc etc. Except the show never properly addresses how loving terrifying it would be to have your religion get proved to be correct especially as it happens 6 months after humanity almost gets wiped out. It just sort of skirts around the edge, using God as vague hand-wavey foreshadowing and mystery-teasing, then drops all mention of God for a while, and then suddenly brings it back and expects the audience to care.

And it's entirely RDMs fault. He openly admitted at the start of the show that he didn't have any idea what Head-Six's deal was. Which seems like something of an oversight given how important her deal turned out to be.

This is an excellent take, thanks.

Data Graham posted:

The thing that always hosed me off (and I've probably complained about it in this thread already, sorry) was that the star map, using the constellations we know today, pointed them to the Real Earth, right? Only they got there and it's blown up. So whattatwist, they go to the REAL REAL EARTH which is .... somewhere else? Which means the stars will be different and the constellations don't work. But THAT's our Earth? Lollll sike? :confused:

Yeah, that annoyed me too. The Kobol-Earth starmap connection was one of the coolest moments in the series and they didn't even bother tying up that loose end at all.

Anyway, back to The Expanse - someone upthread mentioned shooting in Vancouver, was the show shot there at one point? I thought the entire run was shot here in Toronto. Parts of S5 definitely are; Amos' stomping grounds in Baltimore are actually the Regent Park projects, and the prison is the 'waterworks', the RC Harris water treatment plant in my old neighbourhood (which has stood in for a prison in a lot of film & TV, including stoner comedy Half-Baked). A former coworker of mine also appeared as one of Staz's henchmen in S02E08 and I'm pretty sure he didn't fly across the country to do it.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 8, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every show is shot in Vancouver, even the ones shot in Toronto.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyway, back to The Expanse - someone upthread mentioned shooting in Vancouver, was the show shot there at one point? I thought the entire run was shot here in Toronto. Parts of S5 definitely are; Amos' stomping grounds in Baltimore are actually the Regent Park projects, and the prison is the 'waterworks', the RC Harris water treatment plant in my old neighbourhood (which has stood in for a prison in a lot of film & TV, including stoner comedy Half-Baked). A former coworker of mine also appeared as one of Staz's henchmen in S02E08 and I'm pretty sure he didn't fly across the country to do it.

Yea, they use the water treatment plant a lot for prisons. Also naked Holden's vision was at Secret Beach.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the big problem with BSG is that it couldn't decide if the cylons were a stand-in for the middle east post-9/11 (they shouldn't be punished for the actions of a few, you should get along with them, they're people just like us, don't be afraid, etc.) or posthuman terrors who can throw people around effortlessly and jack into computer systems with their hands and literally 100% of them voted to kill humanity. it jumps between each interpretation depending on the whims of any given episode, leaving it feeling weird and muddled. there's a lot of good stuff in BSG (the music, the cast) but the war on terror stuff dates it terribly.

it's why some of those scenes in season 5 with avasarala and the admirals reciting war on terror stuff felt so bad because it was a similar thing. is this the worst genocide in human history, or is it a 9/11 analogy? let's shoot for both.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Every show is shot in Vancouver, even the ones shot in Toronto.

I'm still sad they didn't have Roger Cross wandering around in the background as extra given the primary film shot location.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

also, we're gonna get rid of all technology so we don't repeat our mistakes! oops, what happened to our antibiotics?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

As showrunners, we know many of you are very confused about the death and return of Starbuck, and we'd like to make it clear to all of you that we don't know either.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

also, we're gonna get rid of all technology so we don't repeat our mistakes! oops, what happened to our antibiotics?

In the greater scheme of things it gave humanity another ~10k years of existence before climate change, nuclear war and the machine uprising wipes it out forever so I guess it wasn't such a bad decision in the end

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gangringo posted:

Whatever the reason I loved it as a perfect way to get across the "like us, but not us" vibe of the colonials. There was some deep-seated cultural dislike of 90° corners on paper. It was so deep-seated that nobody ever felt the need to explain it.

That and the also never explained cultural references like "roll the hard six" or the "what do you hear" call and response were just masterclass world building.

I always thought "roll the hard six" was exclusively a Viper jock reference to how in spaceflight you can pitch 180 and fire your engines to suddenly change direction, but it loving sucks rear end amounts of G-forces. So it's a phrase like biting the bullet for a group of people used to fighting at high speed in zero gee.

GABA ghoul posted:

In the greater scheme of things it gave humanity another ~10k years of existence before climate change, nuclear war and the machine uprising wipes it out forever so I guess it wasn't such a bad decision in the end

Don't worry all this happened before and will happen again. When our time comes we'll pack up and head to Kobol, discover the ruins, and then make our way to the unnamed Earth-like planet which will have recovered by then! Time is a flat circle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget about when they abandoned Earth 1 and went to that new system with several planets. They split up all their different social castes and the farming people got a farming planet, the rich fancy people got a rich fancy planet, and whatnot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pattonesque posted:

And then they implied one of the child characters was a skeleton that was found by archeologists, which meant she only lived until her 30s.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

And then they implied one of the child characters was a skeleton that was found by archeologists, which meant she only lived until her 30s.

love to sacrifice hundreds of lives for a kid who will die in childbirth because we purposely forgot how to do a c-section

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I refuse to acknowledge any BSG episode past Fat Adama. This is where they reached their peak and after that its all downhill.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

love to sacrifice hundreds of lives for a kid who will die in childbirth because we purposely forgot how to do a c-section

Also their plan being like, "let's bury our tech and blend in with the natives so we don't repeat our mistakes" conveniently forgets that institutional memory does not last 10,000 years and oops we made Asimo. Like... if the colonials had maintained their society, there would be record after record of what happened, why, and the lessons learned. Instead we got... that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All this analysis of the BSG finale and nobody's going to touch 'we will interbreed with native cavemen'?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Alchenar posted:

All this analysis of the BSG finale and nobody's going to touch 'we will interbreed with native cavemen'?

That was just so Hera could be Mitochondrial Eve, because for some reason it wouldn't be good enough if we we're merely culturally descended from the Colonials.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Stupid sexy cavemen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Continuing through old-BSG, the second "episode" (actually eps 4-5 since the first episode/pilot is a 3-parter and this one is a 2-parter, they really built those shits to last) is notable for a number of things relevant to what we expect from the 2003 BSG:

- The major subplot is about all the female secondary characters becoming Viper pilots due to a shortage, and the whole thing is about not underestimating or infantilizing women, which must have been a crazy-out-there stance at the time; and yet it was 1978 so the way it's handled is still really gross by modern standards. Still, neat twist I was impressed by was that the arc that starts out with the female love interest saying "I'm going with you" and being told "No it's too dangerous", actually ends up with her dying violently and painfully, which feels like it was maybe the biggest taboo around women in action roles at the time to begin with given the "no it's too dangerous" trope and its longevity even into modern poo poo

- I knew going in that this thing was suuuuuper Mormony but holy christ is it Mormony, like the wedding scene good god

- When they get to Kobol it is literally just Egypt, i.e. they land on the planet and just show you establishing shots of the fuckin Pyramids and Sphinx and then film scenes of them walking around in the Egyptian cities and saying "whoa it's Kobol". There was some suspension of disbelief in those days apparently

- But it makes clear why the Viper pilots' helmets are modeled on pharaohs' headdresses, which I thought was a cool rear end touch early on

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The entire thing with Count Iblis

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Data Graham posted:

Continuing through old-BSG, the second "episode" (actually eps 4-5 since the first episode/pilot is a 3-parter and this one is a 2-parter, they really built those shits to last) is notable for a number of things relevant to what we expect from the 2003 BSG:

- The major subplot is about all the female secondary characters becoming Viper pilots due to a shortage, and the whole thing is about not underestimating or infantilizing women, which must have been a crazy-out-there stance at the time; and yet it was 1978 so the way it's handled is still really gross by modern standards. Still, neat twist I was impressed by was that the arc that starts out with the female love interest saying "I'm going with you" and being told "No it's too dangerous", actually ends up with her dying violently and painfully, which feels like it was maybe the biggest taboo around women in action roles at the time to begin with given the "no it's too dangerous" trope and its longevity even into modern poo poo

- I knew going in that this thing was suuuuuper Mormony but holy christ is it Mormony, like the wedding scene good god

- When they get to Kobol it is literally just Egypt, i.e. they land on the planet and just show you establishing shots of the fuckin Pyramids and Sphinx and then film scenes of them walking around in the Egyptian cities and saying "whoa it's Kobol". There was some suspension of disbelief in those days apparently

- But it makes clear why the Viper pilots' helmets are modeled on pharaohs' headdresses, which I thought was a cool rear end touch early on

Yea, there is a lot of Ancient Aliens mixed in with Mormonism in the 70s series. As was the style at the time.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

What is it with Mormons always turning up in SciFi anyways?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Because their entire religion is scifi fodder. People coming from the stars, heaven being an actual planet that can be found, etc

It's easy to fit in and things like the navoo are 100% plausible for future mormon plans

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was surprised they weren't going to the planet that Mormon Jesus came from, wait was that Kobal?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kolob

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

lol close enough god drat

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

We still never got to see the season 1 Space Mormon comedy club.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Warmachine posted:

lol close enough god drat

Yea just different enough for people to not catch on I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

old-BSG third actual episode: "I dunno let's do an Old West gunslinger story"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember reading that the BSG production was always racing to keep up because the studio had essentially planned around selling a series of made-for-TV movies at a rate of, like, one a month... and then ABC turned around and demanded a weekly series.

Stuff like the Old West episode, aside from what I imagine the network thought would be sure crowd-pleasers, was probably also done in a desperate effort to save some money by doing something where they could at least rent some of the costumes instead of having to make them.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Stuff like the Old West episode, aside from what I imagine the network thought would be sure crowd-pleasers, was probably also done in a desperate effort to save some money by doing something where they could at least rent some of the costumes instead of having to make them.

Star Trek did that with cowboys AND Nazis AND Romans! So did Doctor Who. It's practically traditional in televised SF.

Wasn't the Ship of Lights in old BSG supposed to be directly called "Starbase Kolob" or something

(Yeah there were angel-like advanced aliens whose star drives made plants grow quicker - which saved starving people! in the Fleet! And their base ship is made out of light. It was a pretty cool effect for the time, tbh)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which I was ready to expect knowing the Star Trek tradition but they made all the cowboy hats out of metal :lol:

And they made carnivorous alien horses by painting tiger stripes on them and dubbing in snarling noises when they were on screen, it was sort of charmingly awful

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Only just now got caught up on the most recent season - remember the Cas Anvar stuff breaking before it aired and kept waiting and waiting for them to kill him off. It had a definite "Poochy died on the way back to his home planet" vibe. I really liked the character but reading up on all those allegations, holy hell that dude is radioactive bad and he absolutely needed to go.

Overall really good although I'm sure the thread made hay with Clarissa Mao going beastmode. I get that it'd be a difficult thing to film but I lol'd IRL, looked like something from a bad WB TV series from the 90s or something, felt really out of place.

As a book-reader, interested to see what gets put into S6 if that's going to be the last season (for now?).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Peaches going beast mode reminded me of the extreme close up shots fastest man alive in Baron Munchausen running ... fast. Only those were done far better.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It gave me vibes of the couple getting attacked by the thing in the box in Twin Peaks S3e01.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The thing that gets me is that it didn't need to be a difficult thing to film. I had no idea she was supposed to be fast. When we first see her in season 3 I thought it just made her strong for a few seconds. All we saw her do was crush a dude's skull and then faint. So just skip the part where she's fast and just make her be strong for whatever situation the story needs. Same thing with Alex's death. Just recast him or kill him off screen between seasons so we don't get the most confusing death/send-off of a main cast member ever.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

jeeves posted:

Peaches going beast mode reminded me of the extreme close up shots fastest man alive in Baron Munchausen running ... fast. Only those were done far better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell yeah