Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It was abrupt, I think it needed a couple more chapters of proper epilogue. lol that Reiner lived

Edit for more content: I think the fuckedupness of Ymir falling in “love” with Fritz and Mikasa not being over Eren is on purpose, the chapter screams that the story is continuing off page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

kinda hard to say that the people calling the series fash apologia were wrong after that lmao

lmao yes.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

kinda hard to say that the people calling the series fash apologia were wrong after that lmao
*me crossing my fingers*

dont sympathize titan hitler dont sympathize titan hitler dont sympathize titan hitler

gently caress

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
While I don't think the "AoT is fash" reading holds even now that it ended, Isayama wrote the reactions to Eren's story a BIT too sympathetic to my taste. Like, he was always more broken than evil, Titan Hitler is a stretch, but c'mon, dude almost extinguished humanity, y'all shouldn't remember him so fondly

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It just real convenient that Eren didn’t Rumble any person that the rest of the cast really cares about outside of Henge.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I was expecting the folks in the area of the fight who were transformed into Titans when the centipede went nuts to die, really surprised Isayama let them all live

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Ethiser posted:

It just real convenient that Eren didn’t Rumble any person that the rest of the cast really cares about outside of Henge.

thats by design apparently? Maybe he walked his personal colossus posse especially slowly towards where all the important characters would be

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

v0v, it's an ending I guess. Feel like it could've played better with like one more chapter, but at least it's an ending - even if I think it's got its issues. Really didn't like the whole 'Ymir was just so in love with King Fritz' bit and how Mikasa ended up, but I did like the state of the world not being a Naruto-type happy world peace immediately. "Thank you for becoming a mass murderer for our sake" was a big oof, wonder if it reads better in Japanese.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Eren said he was giving Connie his mom back and the titans in that area turned back into humans, does that mean the colossal titans in the middle of the ocean just turned back into people and they're now drowning in the middle of the ocean

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Eren kind of forgot about the titan fleet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Marluxia posted:

Eren said he was giving Connie his mom back and the titans in that area turned back into humans, does that mean the colossal titans in the middle of the ocean just turned back into people and they're now drowning in the middle of the ocean

Well, he did kill 80% of humanity...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marluxia posted:

Honestly "All the Titans turned back into Humans" is *really* a thing that deserved some screentime since based off what we know some of them are probably hundreds of years old minimum.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
that weird crawling titan they left alive will be very confused

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'd like to state that it's fun how much like Tokyo Ghoul, another series that thrived on its raw edge and grim "anyone can die at any time" nature, this series ended with a really toothless ending that celebrated its edgy boy protagonist and made sure to just be as middle ground happy ending as it could.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'd like to state that it's fun how much like Tokyo Ghoul, another series that thrived on its raw edge and grim "anyone can die at any time" nature, this series ended with a really toothless ending that celebrated its edgy boy protagonist and made sure to just be as middle ground happy ending as it could.

I mean to give AoT credit at least I can remember the cast while 80% of Tokyo Ghoul's ending was me going "wait, who is this again? Why should I care about them?"

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Regarding Ymir.. I definitely read her relationship with her king as being extremely hosed up and abusive and that she loved him the same way victims are conditioned to love their abusers, so I'm reading this big 'ymir loved her king so much she couldn't let go' as 'ymir was so loving traumatized and abused that she couldn't let go of her abuser because she was so psychologically hosed up by him that she thinks what shes feeling is romantic love.' I dunno, I only speak and read english so I cant say if that's what he was going for or if he really meant romantic love because loving yikes if that's the case.

Also, I know there will be lots of hot takes about how this ending proves that aot is fascist but despite everyone patting eren's butt about how noble it was for him to make himself the bad guy, I am still walking away with the opinion that genocide is still bad. Are we even 100% sure it was necessary? Eren seems to think so but eren is a dumbass teenager who got slammed with all this god like knowledge with barely any way to fully comprehend it. Like maybe theres a reason they dont give the founding titan to kids??

DamnitGannet fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 8, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah my full feelings on the ending is that it isn't very good and it's way too sympathetic towards Eren. However, that page with Eren and Armin is so genuinely insultingly bad it wrapped right into being absolutely hilarious. Worth it for that alone.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'm not sure where everyone is getting So upset about the ending br it being kinda rushed. It's pretty much exactly what we all predicted the ending would be once the rumble started down to the letter. Yeah the heroes are too sympathetic to Eren. But that's realistic. When your friend does something unforgivable people naturally still feel bad about having to turn on them. Even if you know they don't deserve it, you still feel it. And the ending didn't sidestep the fact that the Worlds survivors will be pissed at Paradis and the Jeagerists control the Island with some Kumbaya cop-out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Armin rightfully calls him pathetic there.

I do feel there should be one more chapter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I somehow feel like I should bring up Chainsaw Man Part 1's ending here somehow, even if that was good instead of bad, because it shared the absurd edge, turned up the murder dial higher than its competition here, and generally made people go "Wait. This is in JUMP?"

Then its last chapter was about how what the villain really wanted was hugs.

(Only there, it worked.)

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I just finished reading Beastars before I caught up on AoT so my standards for what makes a bad ending is different because Beastars' ending was really not great.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Overall I liked it. I would've liked to see the whole Mikasa-Ymir thing fleshed out a bit more, felt like we really glossed over Ymir's intentions. The end result is exactly as I expected. Titan powers disappear and the series end on a hope for peace. I'm disappointed there was no final dialogue between Reiner and Eren though. He was setup to be the coprotagonist, I wish he had more weight to the ending rather than a bystander

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

A mediocre and frankly half-finished ending to an otherwise great story. I don't think it retroactively ruins anything but, maaaannnn, it's still disappointing. I'm also, like, not really sure how to take some of the weirder aspects. Is the thing about Ymir and Mikasa supposed to recontextualize Eren and Mikasa's relationship as abusive from the start? I don't understand why it has to end like this and it couldn't get a proper epilogue chapter, but whatever. It could be worse, I guess.

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah my full feelings on the ending is that it isn't very good and it's way too sympathetic towards Eren. However, that page with Eren and Armin is so genuinely insultingly bad it wrapped right into being absolutely hilarious. Worth it for that alone.

I can't decide if That One Page is character assassination, a so bad it's good shock twist or incisive and thoughtful commentary on shonen writing from Isayama.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 8, 2021

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

In the end, I'm glad that Captain Rivaille survived the Eotena Onslaught.

Also Falco trying to hug Gabi and immediately getting suplexed was a bright spot.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
What the gently caress is this

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Can anyone explain what the bit about Berthold was supposed to be about? Also is the choice they're talking about Mikasa making the choice to kill Eren, or is it the choice to say she thinks of him as family all the way back in Liberio? Wtf man...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Super Rad posted:

Can anyone explain what the bit about Berthold was supposed to be about? Also is the choice they're talking about Mikasa making the choice to kill Eren, or is it the choice to say she thinks of him as family all the way back in Liberio? Wtf man...

Eren "pushed" Dina away from Bert and sent her towards his own mother. Maybe he controlled the Santa titan and convicted it not to chew who could say, anything is possible

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
For a while there I’d really started to spoil on the series since it seemed like we were hurtling towards an ending that would try to rationalize Eren’s global genocide as a difficult yet noble decision he’s chosen to make.

So I’m glad it wound up being exactly that and worse lol get hosed forever. Eren orchestrating the death of his own mother is so lovely it reaches back in time to ruin Dinah keeping her last promise to Grisha. And did you say the forests were extinct Eren?

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

that was ok. hey. lets all play the attack on titan tribute game again.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

TheHan posted:

And did you say the forests were extinct Eren?

yeah.. if that is accurate what Eren actually did was stop his genocide when the probable death of life on the entire planet is assured

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
you can really tell just how good an ending this was when the greatest praise anyone can give it is poo poo like "i didn't hate" or "it was ok". lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll have to do a reread to know my true feelings but current thoughts are “eh”. the better translation showed that Eren was really just mad that he was going to die in 4 years and that’s why he didn’t pursue Mikasa which makes more sense than him thinking she didn’t love him, that was my major problem when reading the bad scans. My other problems like the Dina thing and Historia being put on the back burner for no reason still exist, oh and Ymir being in love with her abuser kinda sucks

hatty fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 8, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Speaking of Historia Remember all that speculation that her kid's father was secretly Eren? Or that it was all a ruse to fool the military people? Nah I guess she really did just fall for her childhood bully and become a non-character just like him.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I know I don't want to be the one on the forefront of the culture war on this ending.

Like I just saw twitter nobodies say this ending was making the manga "more racist" without explaining a thing. So I'm just forced to think if they're going with the blood curse poo poo by saying they're jews with the justification of them turning into monsters by eren being the bad jew and the blood curse lifted then the world would accept the Eldians and things would be a okay

I am going to believe no one would say that until someone posts sauce otherwise.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 8, 2021

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Felt like the ending could've been better if Isayama hadn't suddenly remembered at the last minute that it's a shonen series.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm hoping Isayama drew an entire spoof chapter and leaked it as an elaborate April Fool's joke, and that the real chapter is something else entirely.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

Felt like the ending could've been better if Isayama hadn't suddenly remembered at the last minute that it's a shonen series.

Feels like the ending was poo poo out of nowhere.

The manga's been downhill since 131, but it's been a constant kind of downhill, with some really clever beats from time to time.

This is just... bad, and it's the kind of bad that doesn't flow naturally out of even the worst parts of past chapters.

I've said somewhere that I was frustrated with 138 because it had room to either come in for a solid landing or to crash, but I didn't think it could crash like this. The style feels wrong.

I have no idea what the gently caress happened here.

AND THE loving GRISHA PANEL! Teasing that one years ago, and it's worse than the worst hypothesis people had for it.

Catpetter1981 posted:

I'm hoping Isayama drew an entire spoof chapter and leaked it as an elaborate April Fool's joke, and that the real chapter is something else entirely.

This is actually impossible, and it still makes more sense than ending like this.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of Historia Remember all that speculation that her kid's father was secretly Eren? Or that it was all a ruse to fool the military people? Nah I guess she really did just fall for her childhood bully and become a non-character just like him.

Historia is the biggest question mark for me.

With everything else you can squint and kind of see what Isayama may have been going for (even if it's nonsense), but Historia's storyline defies explanation.

The ambiguity regarding the father of her child was just... well, bad writing I guess. Details like the Farmer being an non-character who has no name or face, Historia discussing getting pregnant with Eren, Eren's presence when Historia made her move on the Farmer, Historia's dead-eyed expression whenever she looked at the Farmer, the paper-thin justification for their relationship, the noted irregularity that Historia didn't marry the Farmer, or that her child's due date didn't match what she told the military, or that the birth just happened to coincide with the final confrontation... amounted to nothing. She just marries the Farmer during the time skip and nothing more about their relationship is said.

For me, it seems like there was something planned that got dropped. I literally cannot believe that Eren isn't the father - or at least that it wasn't in the cards at some point.

It would have so clearly exemplified the pronatalism theme of the story ("Because he was born into this world"/"Start a family... love someone in the walls") had Eren been motivated by the life of his child rather than Mikasa. It also would have made Historia's sidelining more palatable - not completely fine but better than what we got.

Instead, the pronatalism theme was quietly dropped and Historia was basically written out of half the story. Truly bizarre.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

In It For The Tank posted:

With everything else you can squint and kind of see what Isayama may have been going for (even if it's nonsense), but Historia's storyline defies explanation.

The ambiguity regarding the father of her child was just... well, bad writing I guess. Details like the Farmer being an non-character who has no name or face, Historia discussing getting pregnant with Eren, Eren's presence when Historia made her move on the Farmer, Historia's dead-eyed expression whenever she looked at the Farmer, the paper-thin justification for their relationship, the noted irregularity that Historia didn't marry the Farmer, or that her child's due date didn't match what she told the military, or that the birth just happened to coincide with the final confrontation... amounted to nothing. She just marries the Farmer during the time skip and nothing more about their relationship is said.

For me, it seems like there was something planned that got dropped. I literally cannot believe that Eren isn't the father - or at least that it wasn't in the cards at some point.

It would have so clearly exemplified the pronatalism theme of the story ("Because he was born into this world"/"Start a family... love someone in the walls") had Eren been motivated by the life of his child rather than Mikasa. It also would have made Historia's sidelining more palatable - not completely fine but better than what we got.

Instead, the pronatalism theme was quietly dropped and Historia was basically written out of half the story. Truly bizarre.

Agreed. The censoring of Historia's POV makes zero sense in retrospect, and the part in 130 with the Zeke/Eren convo cutting into Historia/Eren makes even LESS sense now, narratively.

Regarding Ymir/Worm Really baffled about this too. Ymir actually really loved her rapist, picked Mikasa as someone who could "free her from the pain of love" (this still barely makes any sense), smiles as Mikasa kisses Eren's disembodied head, and then dies on her way back to her home planet, I guess. Regarding the worm, I was fine with it being unexplained as it was in the original Ymir flashback, but since it randomly became a thing in the final battle, its purpose was kinda bizarre. It escapes, Reiner wrestles with it, titanizes a bunch of people but not really since that didn't end up mattering anyways, and it seems to die offscreen for some reason and all we see is the vanishing corpse. I don't see why it added anything to the story or any tension to the final battle at all, it could have just been cut completely.

Eren killing his own mom makes a lot of his motivation post-basement really bizarre too. We are really to believe that Eren killed his own Mom, killed 80% of humanity, in a really halfassed Lelouch gambit. At least there was world peace after Lelouch died, The world that Eren left them is worse than what they started with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

The "final panel" reveal also doesn't make a drat shred of sense with this chapter. It's not important, it's not in character, and it's not thematically fitting.

I know it's been talked about, but most bad endings feel like natural endproducts of earlier bad decisions. You can see how A leads to B leads to C leads to the writer completely making GBS threads the bed.

This... doesn't feel that way.

I was worried that the manga would poo poo the bed, and it... sorta did, but not too bad. There's some poop, you look at the bed, consider it a learning experience, it'll wash right out.

And then you look up, and somehow the last chapter poo poo the ceiling. What are you even supposed to say?