Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Jimmy Golden was in the WWE as Jack Swagger's father.
TIL that Jimmy Golden was Bunkhouse Buck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

TIL that Jimmy Golden was Bunkhouse Buck
...it's possible to know who Jimmy Golden is and NOT know that he was Bunkhouse Buck?!!?!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i didn't know bunkhouse buck wasn't primarily bunkhouse buck

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

davidbix posted:

...it's possible to know who Jimmy Golden is and NOT know that he was Bunkhouse Buck?!!?!
It was for me :razz:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Buckhouse Gold is Jimmy Bucken!?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Vintage vest Vince!

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

davidbix posted:

I'm not sure, but I knew both yet didn't know that he was Swagger's dad.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What is considered Dlo brown’s best match?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Manwithastick posted:

Probably his European title loss against X-Pac at Judgment Day 1998

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

blindfold match vs HHH :colbert:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
D-Lo always looked cool smashing jobbers when he was a face. Like once he got momentum going he was unstoppable.

Wasn't he the first guy Teddy Long had do the white boy challenge? That ruled.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Kosmo Gallion posted:

D-Lo always looked cool smashing jobbers when he was a face. Like once he got momentum going he was unstoppable.

Wasn't he the first guy Teddy Long had do the white boy challenge? That ruled.
D'Lo was the first client of Thuggin' and Buggin' Enterprises. D'Lo was in a jobber tag team with Chris Nowinski, then on MLK Day 2003 Long declared that THE MAN was holding D'Lo back and he was going to give him the spotlight he deserved.

D'Lo picked up wins for three weeks over the Hurricane, Tommy Dreamer, and Maven, then got squashed by Booker T. The following week they revealed that Teddy had D'Lo beaten up and kicked out of the building by his NEW CLIENT, Rodney Mack. Then D'Lo got shoot fired from WWE.

The following month TNBE introduced the White Boy Challenge, defeating local White Boys as well as all three Dudley Brothers. The White Boy Challenge ended when Goldberg squashed him. He stuck around mostly on Heat for another few months, got injured, came back to Heat, and was released in 2004.

Teddy Long continued to come out to a song declaring HERE COMES THE MACK MILITANT from his Thuggin' and Buggin' days for the next decade.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Rodney Mack also replaced Bull Buchanan as John Cena's henchman before Buchanan got fired.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Does anyone know why they seemed so into pushing Rodney Mack, and then just nearly immediately jettisoned him once his challenge was over? (I mean, aside from Vince and brain worms, did something happen? Back then, they were not as fickle, and they could have at least got a little bit more out of him while jobbing him down the card, I'd think.)

Edit: I completely forgot about the Cena thing even though it's in the year that I'm presently watching. Didn't that literally last two weeks or less?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Manwithastick posted:

My personal favorite is his match with Val Venis at Summerslamn 98. It's not the greatest match ever but I've always thought of it as a perfect match to show someone who has never heard of pro wrestling to explain to them what pro wrestling is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Rodney Mack also replaced Bull Buchanan as John Cena's henchman before Buchanan got fired.

I always wonder if Buchanan didn't deserve more. He was kind of like Boss Man in he was really big and still athletic although I don't think nearly as charismatic as Ray, which is why if the answer is 'not really' that's fine.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

1glitch0 posted:

My personal favorite is his match with Val Venis at Summerslamn 98. It's not the greatest match ever but I've always thought of it as a perfect match to show someone who has never heard of pro wrestling to explain to them what pro wrestling is.

I've always had a soft spot for this match-it was two capable, up and coming workers who were given twenty minutes on a PPV and worked their asses off. It wasn't a great match, but they both worked so hard that it was really, really good. It's the sort of thing that never happens in WWE today.

Granted, both D'Lo and Val spent the next few years spinning their wheels after this and neither of them did much of note after this. Which is a shame, in D'Lo's case. Val Venis sucks.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Dawgstar posted:

I always wonder if Buchanan didn't deserve more. He was kind of like Boss Man in he was really big and still athletic although I don't think nearly as charismatic as Ray, which is why if the answer is 'not really' that's fine.

I never felt like he was underutilized in his role as heel ally to whatever heel needed an ally at the time, but I never got sick of him either.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TL posted:

I've always had a soft spot for this match-it was two capable, up and coming workers who were given twenty minutes on a PPV and worked their asses off. It wasn't a great match, but they both worked so hard that it was really, really good. It's the sort of thing that never happens in WWE today.

I haven't watched it in ages but I seem to remember Val/Rikishi in a cage the same way. It felt so cool and unique to put a mid-card match in a cage. That poo poo still never happens.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
In addition to Rodney Mack/Red Dogg being John Cena's enforcer for two weeks, I had completely forgotten that he (and Marty Jannetty, Mark Canterbury, and Brad Armstrong?) were all hired as "veterans" in 2006 to I guess work with the young talent in WWECW?

Canterbury was put into a tag team with Ray Gordy/Jesse that worked both house shows and down in Deep South developmental before he got dumped out of the act for Festus.

Brad Armstrong worked house shows against Eric Escobar/Perez for a few months and parlayed that into a backstage job he held until his death in 2012.

Rodney Mack wrestled on exclusively house shows from 9/30 to 11/06 against Stevie Richards, Balls Mahoney, Sabu, and Little Guido and then got paid to do nothing for another ten months before his contract expired.

Marty got fired within two weeks for neglecting to tell WWE that a court order forbade him from leaving the state of Florida.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

El Generico posted:

I never felt like he was underutilized in his role as heel ally to whatever heel needed an ally at the time, but I never got sick of him either.

I remember like 10 years ago, someone who was feuding with John Cena brought out Bull Buchanan, who cut a stunningly entertaining promo about how Cena ruined his life. I doubt he'd have been a superstar, but they probably could've done more with him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
How hands-on is WWE in the production of the foreign language feeds of their shows? Knowing how big Vince is on screaming in the ears of his announcers, is there anything in place to do the same to the other languages? Or, is there more emphasis on having it come across the way WWE wants it to on, say, the Hindi broadcast (being that India is a huge market for them) than the Russian one?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TL posted:

How hands-on is WWE in the production of the foreign language feeds of their shows? Knowing how big Vince is on screaming in the ears of his announcers, is there anything in place to do the same to the other languages? Or, is there more emphasis on having it come across the way WWE wants it to on, say, the Hindi broadcast (being that India is a huge market for them) than the Russian one?

All I know is that Pumi from Gatoh Move does the Thai commentary for WWE, and from his photos, it doesn't seem like he's very produced at all. There are definitely some notes in Thai though.

https://twitter.com/pumi_gtmv/status/1379216839973040130/photo/1

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

TL posted:

I remember reading that the french commentators were forced to use "sport-spectacle" and "superstar" over "catch" and "catcheur".

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

fez_machine posted:

All I know is that Pumi from Gatoh Move does the Thai commentary for WWE, and from his photos, it doesn't seem like he's very produced at all. There are definitely some notes in Thai though.

https://twitter.com/pumi_gtmv/status/1379216839973040130/photo/1

I like how his script is basically just to mention when smackdown/raw is on but i also can't read thai so i kinda wonder what the other stuff

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What happened to Jinder Mahal? I remember him being pushed to the moon, but wasn't watching WWE closely at the time and don't know how he ended.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Was there ever a segment on Nitro where an overweight Elvis impersonator got hit in the gut by a disco ball? Or did I dream that?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Grey posted:

What happened to Jinder Mahal? I remember him being pushed to the moon, but wasn't watching WWE closely at the time and don't know how he ended.

Sadly, he was hindered

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What are the coolest clusterfuck moments to end a show? I am talking about where nearly the entire locker room gets involved and everyone is pairing off with their rival. I know ECW used to segments like that a lot, but haven't seen WWE do it in a long time.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

The Grey posted:

Out with injury, got at least one or more surgeries on some nagging issues.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

The Grey posted:

What are the coolest clusterfuck moments to end a show? I am talking about where nearly the entire locker room gets involved and everyone is pairing off with their rival. I know ECW used to segments like that a lot, but haven't seen WWE do it in a long time.

A variation of this is the Mick Foley title win on Raw, which is an all-time highlight.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

TL posted:

Not very.

Most famously, they had no idea that, between the commentary from Carlos Cabrera and Marcelo Rodriguez, and Ricardo's ring announcing, the Spanish speaking audience primarily knew Alberto del Rio as "El Patron Alberto." Thus, when Alberto left and elected to take the name El Patreon Alberto/Alberto El Patron, he was free to trademark it since WWE hadn't.

Some stuff is just confusing. Like how Pat Laprade does commentary—working for the network, not WWE—on the Quebec feeds even though WWE had its own Quebecois French team until whatever happened to Jean Broussard and Ray Rougeau this week happened.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

When's the last time the whole face locker room came out to celebrate a face winning a title or otherwise getting a big win? I'm thinking along the lines of Ron Simmons winning the WCW title.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Power Windows posted:

When's the last time the whole face locker room came out to celebrate a face winning a title or otherwise getting a big win? I'm thinking along the lines of Ron Simmons winning the WCW title.
Big E a few months ago.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Grey posted:

One of my favorites, which was a LONG time ago was when WWF and WCW were facing off and WWE had the numbers advantage and then everyone with WWF who had been in ECW just turned around and stared at the WWF people. It was such a great moment when the WWF guys were like oh gently caress. Probably the highlight of the Invasion.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

The Grey posted:

In 2017 we were supposed to get Jinder/Brock at Survivor Series in a Universal vs WWE Champion match but IIRC someone (possibly Brock?) called an audible, so roughly a week or two before the PPV, Jinder dropped the title to AJ Styles in the UK at either a house show or SmackDown taping, and his push was killed dead.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

How did wrestling territories used to work? I came up watching WWF/E-WCW/ECW from the early 90s up until 2000 or so. Im an MMA guy but have been reading a few wrestling threads off and on since PSP became a thing when MMA threads joined wrestlehut. Was it a super carny thing where affiliations would gently caress with each other if the NWA booked a show in NY or was it a kind of gentleman's agreement where everyone would more or less respect "territory"?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Eat This Glob posted:

How did wrestling territories used to work? I came up watching WWF/E-WCW/ECW from the early 90s up until 2000 or so. Im an MMA guy but have been reading a few wrestling threads off and on since PSP became a thing when MMA threads joined wrestlehut. Was it a super carny thing where affiliations would gently caress with each other if the NWA booked a show in NY or was it a kind of gentleman's agreement where everyone would more or less respect "territory"?

At a national level the existence of the National Wrestling Alliance enabled this to work. You were the affiliate for a particular region and nobody from the NWA would run shows in your area as long as you didn't run shows in theirs. Along with this, by being an NWA affiliate you got to book the world champion and world tag champions on your show which boosted your attendance.

People did press their luck with this in terms of who ran shows where and how the champions were booked, but in general that was the cartel approach.

And of course you got "outlaw" shows running all over the place, but working one of those shows could hurt your chances of doing well on NWA shows.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

In addition you had a few 'independent' territories (such as the future WWF) that weren't officially part of the NWA in order to avoid anti-trust lawsuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Grey posted: