Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Its definitely a bit of a shock going from him from the grieve stricken guy on a suicide run to the super spy baron. But it has been 2-7 years so that's time for your mindset to change. The baron thing is still a little odd because I think his story was his family went to his father in law's place for safety or something? And you'd think the rich guy would have a safer place? But its a comic book and this version has more potential so... I'll allow it.

Not sure there's a safe place to be when an entire country is picked up out of the ground and then blown to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I bet STAC Goat hasn't even been to the memorial.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Here’s a weird thought that would totally make sense but won’t be in the show: what if the vaccines the FS stole is for a disease that came about during the Blip and all Unsnapped people have zero immunity for? Five flu seasons have come and gone, for instance.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Marsupial Ape posted:

Here’s a weird thought that would totally make sense but won’t be in the show: what if the vaccines the FS stole is for a disease that came about during the Blip and all Unsnapped people have zero immunity for? Five flu seasons have come and gone, for instance.

Wouldn't half of the flu strains also be wiped out? I mean not sure if mutations would compensate, but it seems that with less people on Earth, less chance for an annual spread.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Zil posted:

Wouldn't half of the flu strains also be wiped out? I mean not sure if mutations would compensate, but it seems that with less people on Earth, less chance for an annual spread.

I don’t know if I am up for the “are viruses alive?” argument, at the moment.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The part of Zemo’s characterization that I don’t like is the way his ancient and sugary sweet butler is like “oh so good to have you back, sir!”

He BLEW UP the UN. Are we not supposed to view him as a Timothy McVeigh style ultra terrorist? Aren’t we to assume like hundreds of people died in that massive building exploding or did it literally only kill the King of Wakanda? In which case his body count is still... pretty high?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

The part of Zemo’s characterization that I don’t like is the way his ancient and sugary sweet butler is like “oh so good to have you back, sir!”

He BLEW UP the UN. Are we not supposed to view him as a Timothy McVeigh style ultra terrorist? Aren’t we to assume like hundreds of people died in that massive building exploding or did it literally only kill the King of Wakanda? In which case his body count is still... pretty high?

The butler said that as a response to Zemo joking that he should serve Sam and Bucky spoiled food, not to mention the fact that he looks like he's served at LEAST one previous Zemo. He's probably the baddest person on that plane.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the long term butler of a mass murdering, terrorist, super villain isn't a great person morally.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The butler was the cherry on making him appear to be an evil Bruce Wayne.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

STAC Goat posted:

The baron thing is still a little odd because I think his story was his family went to his father in law's place for safety or something? And you'd think the rich guy would have a safer place?

you'd think a rich guy would have a safer place in case of [city is raised miles into the sky and then plummets like a meteor]

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The_Doctor posted:

The butler was the cherry on making him appear to be an evil Bruce Wayne.

Yeah, the butler is indeed evil Alfred.

It would be cool to get a Zemo spin off. Zemo and his evil butler hunting down nazis and super powered people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Desperado Bones posted:

It would be cool to get a Zemo spin off. Zemo and his evil butler hunting down nazis and super powered people.

Sounds loving diabolical.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds loving diabolical.

OH SHIIIIIIIIT

:getin:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the butler has probably known Zemo since he was a baby, he's allowed to like the guy

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

stev posted:

I wonder how the prison system dealt with the snap. Do they just say linear time is passing so that five years counts as part of someone's sentence if they were gone for that time? Or do they add another five years to avoid people 'getting out' of their years behind bars? Is someone who was sentenced to five years the day before they were snapped released having not actually served a day of their sentence?

Legally I suppose that time would have to count but I can't imagine for profit prisons taking that lying down, since 50% of their prison population didn't exist for half a decade.

Pretty much, they likely would also arrange parole for guys like Bucky and Sam. Sam was easy enough by signing the accords and agree that any and all footage involving his work can be used by the US government without his position

And as for Zemo, it's clearly obvious that he realize what one man can do to an entire universe and realize that this is his calling. Hencewhy he was reading Machiavelli and playing chess, he is making his return to the world at large, still reeling from the Blip and ready to take what is rightfully his.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Can we keep Daniel Brühl in the MCU? (#don'tkillzemo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ajVtFy51QY

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That is a wonderful mustache

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

He can twirl it while boasting on his new evil plan against the Avengers.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Did prisoners that got blipped have to serve their sentence with or without the time they were gone...hmmm...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

That guy mischaracterizes the Flag Smashers' motivation. It's not that they thought things were better during the blip, I'm pretty sure the source for that reading is Sam's dumb partner, it's that they were displaced to make room for returners.

One thing to consider is that the entire point of Thanos' Snap was to reduce the ecological pressure on limited resources. Sure, his solution is absurd on its face, but it might have had a twisted internal logic to it. Figure a prime target would be the idle rich. The people with more money than God, with houses on almost all the continents, etc. People who can and will fly a Learjet from New York to Paris to pick up some escargo to go. So while it reaped from every class, maybe it hit the 1% considerably harder to free up more resources. And when they came back, those 1%ers wanted their poo poo back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's pretty clearly what the Flag Smashers are talking about-- the conversation about Kari wanting to be a teacher indicates a working class background and odds are they found a new vitality and essential being during the Blip the same way the Black Plague forced the nobles to pay peasantry more for their labor. Once everyone came back that must have hosed the market sideways and a whole lot of jerkoffs bullied their way back into power via entitlement. Knowing myself and other working class people I'd bet that Kari and the Smashers didn't do a lot of great long-term planning or investing in ways to keep their newfound economic status, they were more concerned with the work itself, so I understand why they'd be pissed off and romanticizing the Blip.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Man, you guys are going to have egg on your face when it turns out the Flag Smashers don’t care about wealth redistribution and just really want the McRib back.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The butler was live action Woodhouse from Archer

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Its Rinaldo posted:

The butler was live action Woodhouse from Archer

Zemo about to make him eat a bowl of spiderwebs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't the new episode up at 3am EST?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The flag smashers are posters on r / thanoswasright

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Every Friday like clockwork

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

twistedmentat posted:

3am est friday. It's 4am est thursday morning. One more day still friendo

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
I'm excited to see the Wakandan delegation and am really curious as to what they want to do about Zemo, since it might conflict with what Bucky wants to do with Zemo first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

One thing to consider is that the entire point of Thanos' Snap was to reduce the ecological pressure on limited resources. Sure, his solution is absurd on its face, but it might have had a twisted internal logic to it. Figure a prime target would be the idle rich. The people with more money than God, with houses on almost all the continents, etc. People who can and will fly a Learjet from New York to Paris to pick up some escargo to go. So while it reaped from every class, maybe it hit the 1% considerably harder to free up more resources. And when they came back, those 1%ers wanted their poo poo back.

"Their poo poo" isn't going to magically become free to the world when they die, you know; it will be inherited. The only disruption caused by their return would be the family row.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jedit posted:

"Their poo poo" isn't going to magically become free to the world when they die, you know; it will be inherited. The only disruption caused by their return would be the family row.

I'd love a Succession or Arrested Development style series about this. :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

zoux posted:

Anyone else feel like the characterization of Zemo in Civil War is completely different from the one in FatWS? I wouldn't say that's categorically a bad thing but the last we saw of the dancin' dude he was trying to blow his brains out after completing his nihilistic master plan.

Yes, Daniel Bruhl himself, apparently.

Daniel Bruhl posted:

"In Civil War, as much as I enjoyed playing the part, I thought, 'Give me that mask at least for a second, for one scene!' 'What about Zemo's aristocratic background?' 'Why is he called Baron?' That all was added here in the show, and it was so much fun to play around with it."

Also, in regards to the dancing:

Daniel Bruhl posted:

"It's so hysterical. [That moment] was improvised when I saw the crowd dancing, going loco. I felt the beat and was like, Zemo has been sitting in a dodgy German prison cell for years. So, he needs to let off some steam and show his moves. Let's go for it! I enjoyed so much the reaction of Anthony and Sebastian looking at me."

So that shot of Bucky staring at something off-screen just before they leave the nightclub probably is him staring at Zemo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

Also, in regards to the dancing:

So that shot of Bucky staring at something off-screen just before they leave the nightclub probably is him staring at Zemo.

There's an extended version of the scene, apparently.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m only finished with episode 2 but I really don’t see how the flagsmashers are the bad guys here, unless the idea of “one world one people” is suppose to be bad.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m only finished with episode 2 but I really don’t see how the flagsmashers are the bad guys here, unless the idea of “one world one people” is suppose to be bad.

I don't think they are supposed to be, honestly. Antagonists, sure but not the villains as such. At the point you're at they've already implied they're opposed by others (the Power Broker), and I imagine that they're more the ultimate problem. I imagine Zemo will probably become more of an issue over time too, along with the new Cap.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

tsob posted:

I don't think they are supposed to be, honestly. Antagonists, sure but not the villains as such. At the point you're at they've already implied they're opposed by others (the Power Broker), and I imagine that they're more the ultimate problem. I imagine Zemo will probably become more of an issue over time too, along with the new Cap.

New cap just screams rear end in a top hat but does Disney have the balls to make Cap a literal Nazi ala The Boys?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boris Galerkin posted:

New cap just screams rear end in a top hat but does Disney have the balls to make Cap a literal Nazi ala The Boys?

I assume you don't mean literal nazi when you say literal nazi but Marvel tried that and people hated it. And its really not Walker's thing. I think they're nailing the arrogant, entitled stormtrooper rear end in a top hat of him going too far into the full on villain angle.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

I assume you don't mean literal nazi when you say literal nazi but Marvel tried that and people hated it. And its really not Walker's thing. I think they're nailing the arrogant, entitled stormtrooper rear end in a top hat of him going too far into the full on villain angle.

Yeah, he's really more of a Thin Blue Line, Seal Team 6, American Sniper kind of rear end in a top hat, which is way more relevant than full nazi.

And besides The Boys did their nazi arc perfectly. With a pg13 constraint they could never top "Girls DO get it done"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
EAT MY poo poo YOU NAZI BITCH is one of the best line reads in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Boris Galerkin posted:

They stole medicine, tried to kill Sam and Bucky, and they think the world was better off when half the population was dead. At the very least they are callous and cruel, and that is besides everything we don’t know about them yet.