Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

mysteryberto posted:

Evga b stock is up and dang the prices are high. If you don’t want to support scalpers you can buy two generation old scratch and dent cards

https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=8

All I see is power supplies. Did they sell out that quick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm curious about how NVIDIA will know I bought my 3080 from Craigslist, since it was new in box and the seller included the receipt from best buy :shrug:

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
So what is the best way to try to track down a GPU right now? I'm trying with the shuffle but I'm wondering if there are other options to be following up on.

As far as GPU reliability I've had good luck until recently, I'm on my 3rd Sapphire RX 580 because the first suddenly after a year, and the second had a fan running on max and died after an hour out of the box. The third seems to be working ok but I just built a new computer and would like something with a bit more pop.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Malaria posted:

All I see is power supplies. Did they sell out that quick?
they're sold out now but they had $1429 2080 ti and $689 1080 ti when I saw it

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jimong5 posted:

So what is the best way to try to track down a GPU right now? I'm trying with the shuffle but I'm wondering if there are other options to be following up on.

As far as GPU reliability I've had good luck until recently, I'm on my 3rd Sapphire RX 580 because the first suddenly after a year, and the second had a fan running on max and died after an hour out of the box. The third seems to be working ok but I just built a new computer and would like something with a bit more pop.

The best way is to just buy a prebuilt PC with one. Since you already made your PC you can decide between buying from a scalper, camping out or compulsively watching discords/shuffles/whatever, or just waiting. The right choice for you depends entirely on which you have more of: money, time, or patience.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Annath posted:

I'm curious about how NVIDIA will know I bought my 3080 from Craigslist, since it was new in box and the seller included the receipt from best buy :shrug:

In your case they won't, and you should be perfectly fine.

Most sellers on eBay don't include the original receipt, though, which is where things get sticky.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The best way is to just buy a prebuilt PC with one. Since you already made your PC you can decide between buying from a scalper, camping out or compulsively watching discords/shuffles/whatever, or just waiting. The right choice for you depends entirely on which you have more of: money, time, or patience.

I mean my best bet probably is waiting but if my rx580 luck continues I have to put in my old gtx 680 and that’s been kinda crappy. Camping the shuffle it is, I was just wondering if there were shuffles other than Newegg.

Scalper prices are so nuts I’d probably be better buying a prebuilt just for the card

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I managed to get a 3060 from today's shuffle.

I am shocked.

Finally gonna have a decent computer.

What cool games have I missed in the last ~7 years on PC?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CP2077

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Malaria posted:

the yakuza games
Doom
Maybe cyberpunk after another year of patches
Control with rtx on

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Malaria posted:

I managed to get a 3060 from today's shuffle.

I am shocked.

loop hero
valheim
crusader kings 3
battletech
divinity original sin 2
satisfactory
factorio
subnautica

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

e: ^^^ lol love all the overlap between our lists as i was typin em up

Malaria posted:

I quickly scanned my Steam hours played list and heres a sampling of more graphics leaning games I've played that i recommend (there are lots of non graphics heavy games like Rimworld, Hearts of Iron IV, Cities Skylines, Factorio, Stardew Valley, Graveyard Keepeer, Monster Train, Loop Hero, etc)

RDR2
Battletech
Subnautica
FlightSim 2020
Witcher 3
Titanfall 2
Grim Dawn
Satisfactory
Rebel Galaxy

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Ok, I have a ton of games to buy apparently! Thank you!

Any big rear end monitor recommendations?

I'm currently on a Samsung 24" thing from like 10 years ago that's 1080p@ 60hz. It's basically a TV not a computer monitor.

Was looking at those big 34" curved monstrosities. The Gigabyte one seems like a good deal for price/performance.

I should probably go look and see if there is a monitor thread.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Curved monitors have their place, but some (many?) people find them distracting

RTings.com is the site you're looking for.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malaria posted:

I should probably go look and see if there is a monitor thread.

There is! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494 Skip to the end, the OP hasn't been updated in ages.

People in there have Opinions about 34" curved monitors, both for and against, for good reasons on both sides. (I love mine)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
For 16:9 I don't think curved monitors help any but for ultrawides it definitely helps a bit. Not that crazy Samsung 1000R curve but 1800R is a gentle enough curve to be subtle but help on the edges.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, it's more a question of 21:9 vs 16:9 than it is curved vs flat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DrDork posted:

There is! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494 Skip to the end, the OP hasn't been updated in ages.

People in there have Opinions about 34" curved monitors, both for and against, for good reasons on both sides. (I love mine)

Yeah I have a 1440p curved 32 and I love it.

I had a 32 4K but driving that drat thing in games wasn’t worth it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Rinkles posted:

This is the worst GPU prices have been, right? Beating out all the previous mining crazes?

Yeah I remember 1080Tis being like double MSRP at their worst in 2017 while 3080s right now are more like triple MSRP.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had curved monitors at work for a while and it definitely helps, but I chose to go flat to save the ~$150. I picked up a 34" Samsung SJ55W for $300 at Costco. I love ultrawide monitors, this one is my second. The other one is an older LG that we use on the other computer because its not only nice for gaming, but great for productivity, like having a less bulky dual monitor setup.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Has anyone here successfully replaced thermal pads on their 3080s or 3090s here?

mA fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 8, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Jimong5 posted:

I had curved monitors at work for a while and it definitely helps, but I chose to go flat to save the ~$150. I picked up a 34" Samsung SJ55W for $300 at Costco. I love ultrawide monitors, this one is my second. The other one is an older LG that we use on the other computer because its not only nice for gaming, but great for productivity, like having a less bulky dual monitor setup.

Being able to have three usable windows open side by side rules

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Malaria posted:

Ok, I have a ton of games to buy apparently! Thank you!

Don’t buy anything (unless you love the developer/game and want it forever), just get an Xbox game pass subscription and play tons of games you missed out on

The value is ridiculous

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mA posted:

Has anyone here successfully replaced thermal pads on their 3080s or 3090s here?

I haven't but I was strongly considering it for my 3080 FE. The VRAM gets so fuckin' hot on that if you're folding/mining that it's ridiculous and will hit 100c+ then throttle itself.

You apparently need two different pad thicknesses on the FE, and all different models use different thermal tape thicknesses as well.

This guy has a nice FE guide and allegedly drops his VRAM temps over 30c:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvxXuGrh8aE

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 8, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Don’t buy anything (unless you love the developer/game and want it forever), just get an Xbox game pass subscription and play tons of games you missed out on

The value is ridiculous

not to mention that most of the games you installed still work after your sub expires.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

mA posted:

I'm planning on doing this tomorrow when the parts arrive, I discovered that Dyson Sphere Program shoots my 3090 FE's memory temps to 106C if I don't kneecap the power limit.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Blorange posted:

I'm planning on doing this tomorrow when the parts arrive, I discovered that Dyson Sphere Program shoots my 3090 FE's memory temps to 106C if I don't kneecap the power limit.

Oh god the idea of doing that scares me :ohdear:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hasturtium posted:

The AGP Radeon 4670 was probably the fastest overall, but wasn't much quicker than the prior AGP 3850 and was conclusively the end of the era. Unless you were invested in Glide the Voodoo5 didn't have much to recommend it aside from quality antialiasing - the Geforce2 and Radeon cleaned its clock in both features and performance. From everything I ever heard Rampage would have been the bee's knees, but vaporware is vaporware.

Well fair enough, I honestly didn't realise AGP cards were still being made much after the one I picked up. Guess I didn't research that much

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Annath posted:

Oh god the idea of doing that scares me :ohdear:

Oh yeah if I managed to get ahold of a 3080 there's no way I'd ever summon the courage to tinker with it in any way.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

mA posted:

I have, as I needed to do so to install the EK waterblock. It's honestly not hard.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

mA posted:

I've been looking into doing it on my 3090 FE. I watched some videos and the modification doesn't look that hard...but I'm not sure how much if any performance I'd get for my use case (gaming not mining). I suppose it would increase the life of the product. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk since I've never taken apart a GPU before.

I think you also need to re-paste it if you open it up, so that's another thing to consider.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Butter Hole posted:

I've been looking into doing it on my 3090 FE. I watched some videos and the modification doesn't look that hard...but I'm not sure how much if any performance I'd get for my use case (gaming not mining). I suppose it would increase the life of the product. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk since I've never taken apart a GPU before.

I think you also need to re-paste it if you open it up, so that's another thing to consider.

If you're only gaming and not mining at all I'd skip it, at least for now while your card is unobtanium. The VRAM won't max out temps in gaming no matter what you do, so there's no performance to be gained, only risk.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

HalloKitty posted:

Well fair enough, I honestly didn't realise AGP cards were still being made much after the one I picked up. Guess I didn't research that much

I think the only reason I did was that I got a great deal on a 7800GS in early 2007 and built a Core 2 Duo E4400 box around an i865G motherboard to accommodate it. In hindsight it was really silly of me, but that box kept thumping along for years as a home theater PC...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

Bad is relative and they are relatively bad.
The 6800 hashrate is about equal to a 3070, not better by any real margin nor is it the only metric that people look at. You might be looking at unconfirmed or old data if you are seeing a parity. RDNA2 has a bad ROI at MSRP and its just ok at scalper prices. For gaming its underpriced compared to nvidia when buying from scalpers.

quote:

If you are going to pay a scalper, look for a 6800 or 6800xt. They have a poo poo ROI so miners dont want them. That means the markup is less than an nvidia card with comparable gaming performance.

I mean, you agree with me and then contradict yourself immediately. Yes, it's the same range as 3070 (slightly faster but not much of a real difference). Yes, that means it's at parity. WhatToMine has the 3070 at 58 MH and the 6800 at 64 MH so it's 10% faster, which sounds about right. Nicehash says $5.28 vs $5.16.

If you think the ebay prices are different then you haven't checked prices lately. Both 6800 and 3070 sell for about $1400 on ebay right now, which is exactly what you would expect for two cards that mine at similar rates. 3060 Ti may be just a little cheaper (seeing it for about $1325-1375).

At MSRP the 6800 is a little worse than the 3070 (it's about 15% more expensive but mines about 10% faster), both 3070 and 6800 are significantly worse than the 3060 Ti and 3080 of course.

It's not the drastic difference that everyone imagines it to be. RDNA2 mines fine, it's not as good as the ideal NVIDIA cards that are cherrypicked for mining but it's on par with some of the other Ampere cards like 3070. And the ebay prices for RDNA2 are not significantly more advantageous than Ampere. 6800 is a little faster than 3070 but both are selling at $1400 right now.

If there were pallets full of RDNA2 cards available, miners would buy them, just like they would buy 3070 or 3060 Ti, or 2070S. Every 6800 still makes 5 bucks a day. Right now we are still in the "throw every GPU you can get online, no matter how lovely" stage of the mining boom, miners don't care what the card is, they just want more of them, what's why literally every single card on the market has sold out.

There isn't pallets of RDNA2 available and that's the only thing holding miners back. It mines fine, or at least as fine as some of the less ideal ampere cards. The "RNDA2 is so bad at mining, pweaze don't buy these!" is wildly overblown, they are definitely subject to mining demand, that's why the prices ended up in the same places as the NVIDIA cards.

quote:

Any large scale operations arent paying ebay prices for their nvidia cards, they are putting in wholesale orders for pallets. The same kind of order would be worse on amd and nvidia has kept up on supply so they have not been pushed towards AMD yet.

Wholesale orders aren't paying MSRP either - you should not make the mistake of interpreting that as "miners buy pallets at a time therefore they get cards at MSRP", they don't. They're still paying inflated rates from partners, likely about halfway between MSRP and ebay prices - you can see from Linus's thing that they're getting $2700 for a 3090 right now, he's selling at actual cost. Maybe the import duty gets added because of the jaunt out of the country and back in, without which it would be $2300 for a 3090, but partners are charging for the privilege of access to GPUs during a mining boom, as usual - they get to "scalp" a bit themselves, they sell them without warranty, and they sell them pallets at a time rather than one at a time through their store.

Miners are willing to bite on that because it's still worth it to get ahold of cards that are making something like 10 to 12 bucks a day, and because it's still cheaper than ebay, and because they can get access to a whole pallet full of GPUs at once instead of one at a time from a retailer or off ebay.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 8, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

partners are charging for the privilege of access to GPUs during a mining boom, as usual - they get to "scalp" a bit themselves

These events have made it pretty clear that Nvidia needs to dump this old, old model.

It’s embarassing to see PS5s sit there at the same price they were advertised as, along with FEs which are basically the closest equivalent, while the usual gang of gamer brands tell you to suck it up because they’re not losing profit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

These events have made it pretty clear that Nvidia needs to dump this old, old model.

It’s embarassing to see PS5s sit there at the same price they were advertised as, along with FEs which are basically the closest equivalent, while the usual gang of gamer brands tell you to suck it up because they’re not losing profit.

the most embarrassing thing was in 2018 when partners did the same thing, sold straight into the mining farms and lol gently caress gamers at this company we make money, then mining finally crashed and all the partners were caught with giant orders of chips they made on the assumption that mining was going to continue forever. Then partners started whining to the tech media that the big evil meanie NVIDIA wouldn't let them cancel their contracted orders, oh my god guys let me play the tiniest violin for you

I realize the precedent of 3DFX is strong but partners are more and more useless, they don't even remotely try to hit MSRP, their cards aren't really all that great vs founders, they sell straight to miners during the mining booms, etc. I pretty much would rather NVIDIA just sell all their chips reference cards until the market is firmly established, so that partners have to launch into a market that's relatively saturated and put out some actually good deals.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 8, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I'm now wondering if the ReBAR BIOS update for my Z390 board was worth it. Sure I have Resizable BAR working now and it's stable but I can't overclock my 9700K. I originally had it running at 5GHz all core and now anything above stock fails to POST :|

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

I'm now wondering if the ReBAR BIOS update for my Z390 board was worth it. Sure I have Resizable BAR working now and it's stable but I can't overclock my 9700K. I originally had it running at 5GHz all core and now anything above stock fails to POST :|

What board do you have? I think you can roll back to the old bios if you really want, but I had a similar issue and eventually got it working.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Just posting to find my old posts itt. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high