Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Rifftrax has it down to a science. There's yet to be a bad one featuring the main guys.

I don't think there's any force on earth that could make Ice Cream Bunny bearable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

sure okay posted:

A good half of Rifftraxs on Amazon Prime are free. I wonder how much they got for that.

I rent the non-free ones all the time for 5 bucks, and I also wonder what kind of cut they get there.

For brand new riffs they do the thing where you have to buy it for 20 bucks, but then its rentable in 3 months. Never done that, but also that gets me wondering if thats an Amazon thing or a Rifftrax thing.

Are you not in the US? In the US you just get them right from the Rifftrax website. Most of them are around ten bucks to buy but they're DRM free. You just download the MP4 and it's yours forever. Amazon Prime has a good selection of free to watch Rifftrax and you can buy them on there too. I don't think you can rent them Amazon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

aint mike nelson a born again what wants to kiss doug tennapel a bunch

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

I don't think he's a born again, he's just always been Christian.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, Mike is conservative christian in that olde timey folksy gee shucks farmboy kinda way.

Not the tiki torches and capitol riot kinda way.

I mean he's best friends with Bill Corbett who makes Lenin look like Ronald Reagan.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cowcaster posted:

he's religious, but if you ever ask for any specifics about him being any kind of bad person everybody starts playing 6 degrees of kevin bacon

and in any case bill corbett is a comrade

e:f;b

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you not in the US? In the US you just get them right from the Rifftrax website. Most of them are around ten bucks to buy but they're DRM free. You just download the MP4 and it's yours forever. Amazon Prime has a good selection of free to watch Rifftrax and you can buy them on there too. I don't think you can rent them Amazon.

???

Im guessing bezos takes 30 percent

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randarkman posted:

I really like it and I'm not Midwestern. Though I am from Norway and that might just be the Midwest of Europe.

i mean the midwest is scandinavian with a smattering of slavs and a sprinkle of germans

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah, Mike is conservative christian in that olde timey folksy gee shucks farmboy kinda way.

Not the tiki torches and capitol riot kinda way.

I mean he's best friends with Bill Corbett who makes Lenin look like Ronald Reagan.

I went from “hey crow t. Robot agrees with me politically!”

to

“Jesus christ Bill talk about something else please god anything else”

so fast

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rifftrax Friends is the only media subscription I have.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

It's this.

They talk the whole time. It ruins the joke and makes the movie harder to follow which means the jokes in context can't land.

Rifftrax has it down to a science. There's yet to be a bad one featuring the main guys.

did they ever redo the star wars rifftrax that had hit internet sensation "chad vader" on it instead of someone funny

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Actually, wait, the Troll 2 rifftrax features noted expensive apple pie enthusiast and violent domestic abuser Lowtax.

That's no good.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Actually, wait, the Troll 2 rifftrax features noted expensive apple pie enthusiast and violent domestic abuser Lowtax.

That's no good.

Mike's only crime was associating with Lowtax in the past. On a forum full of people who once paid Lowtax money to be here, none of us can really throw the first stone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont have a dog in this race since I never bothered with Netflix MST3K but my favourite episode of the old series has to be Outcast of Gor.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jack would say on Pre Rec that he saw a few MST3Ks growing up and he didn’t really enjoy it because, and I quote, “I’d rather just make funny jokes with my friends instead”

this explanation is at odds, however, with the fact that that there is no way Jack, much less childJack, was anywhere near as funny as MST3K or had friends.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

Jack would say on Pre Rec that he saw a few MST3Ks growing up and he didn’t really enjoy it because, and I quote, “I’d rather just make funny jokes with my friends instead”

this explanation is at odds, however, with the fact that that there is no way Jack, much less childJack, was anywhere near as funny as MST3K or had friends.

Especially because he grew up on a farm and the only movie he had was Super-Girl.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

Endless Trash posted:

That was Rich!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

luchajones posted:

That was Rich!

It was both of them actually but I chose to indict Jack with it as he is an easier target!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mike's right Godzilla vs Kong should get an Oscar for the audio. Pity the visuals were sometimes twitchy and weightless but sound the kept up their end.

Good fun.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

finally got around to watching Black Panther. lol that they made up "The Museum of Great Britain" because the British Museum didn't want to be depicted as the big collection of loot it is

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Lmao didn't notice that, also, it's not stolen but "legally purchased/gifted" as in "Hey buddy,I got you Temple of Artemis for the Christmas".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

sure okay posted:

???

Im guessing bezos takes 30 percent

I had no idea you could rent those. Does Amazon really charge $20 for some riffs though? That's weird.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had no idea you could rent those. Does Amazon really charge $20 for some riffs though? That's weird.

I would assume that they are video riffs of newer movies which cost $20 to buy even without the riffs?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I much prefer the Cinema Sins style of humor where you write your "jokes" during a single viewing and never go back and cut out "jokes" that no longer make sense and never rewatch the movie.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Endless Trash posted:

when i was lonely i watched mst3k and pretended they were my friends :unsmith:

:smith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

infernal machines posted:

They were doing the direct equivalent of what Joel was doing in 1990. Whether that lands for you probably depends on where you were in 1990.

I think the big difference is that back in MST's basic cable days, Joel and the other writers wanted to avoid making a bunch of current or timely references, because they felt that would instantly date the comedy (which is something they continued after Joel left and Mike took his place with the 'bots). Of course, then-current references still slipped in because they needed riffs and they can't always fall back on inserting a Three Stooges reference or whatever, but by and large they usually referenced historical or cultural stuff that pre-dated MST3K (especially when Frank, who makes no secret of his love of 1960s and 1970s TV in general, was in the writer's room).

The Netflix series seemed like it was going for a "hipper" audience by making more culturally relevant references. I only watched the first Netflix season once and noped out of the second season a short way into the first episode, but I don't recall as many references to older stuff, be it movies or historical events or whatever (plus, as was pointed out, they just talked too goddamn much during a lot of the movies). Sure, that's because they have a younger staff writing things, so they're gonna write more towards what they think is funny, I get it. And again, I don't fault them for it. It just didn't work for me.

It's especially interesting as Rifftrax also has some younger people writing riffs and such, and they'll get a few modern pop culture references in there. But whereas Jonah is a young guy saying lines written by other young guys that often sound a little too earnestly delivered, Mike and Kevin and Bill are older guys, so it comes across as funnier to hear them make a more modern pop culture reference. Like they're bemused or befuddled at it, but they'll gamely give it a shot anyways. Trace and Frank do much the same thing in their "The Mads are Back" shows (though usually their current references are more political than cultural, as Frank is basically if Bernie Sanders didn't bother self-censoring, and rather than run for public office decided to just watch a lot of Mannix reruns instead). Old people making fun of bad movies is funnier, is what I'm saying. :corsair:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

finally got around to watching Black Panther. lol that they made up "The Museum of Great Britain" because the British Museum didn't want to be depicted as the big collection of loot it is

lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Modern references can definitely be good sometimes, I remember during Manos Live when all the master's brides were fighting, "Is this what Pinterest is?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think the big difference is that back in MST's basic cable days, Joel and the other writers wanted to avoid making a bunch of current or timely references, because they felt that would instantly date the comedy (which is something they continued after Joel left and Mike took his place with the 'bots). Of course, then-current references still slipped in because they needed riffs and they can't always fall back on inserting a Three Stooges reference or whatever, but by and large they usually referenced historical or cultural stuff that pre-dated MST3K (especially when Frank, who makes no secret of his love of 1960s and 1970s TV in general, was in the writer's room).

The Netflix series seemed like it was going for a "hipper" audience by making more culturally relevant references. I only watched the first Netflix season once and noped out of the second season a short way into the first episode, but I don't recall as many references to older stuff, be it movies or historical events or whatever (plus, as was pointed out, they just talked too goddamn much during a lot of the movies). Sure, that's because they have a younger staff writing things, so they're gonna write more towards what they think is funny, I get it. And again, I don't fault them for it. It just didn't work for me.

It's especially interesting as Rifftrax also has some younger people writing riffs and such, and they'll get a few modern pop culture references in there. But whereas Jonah is a young guy saying lines written by other young guys that often sound a little too earnestly delivered, Mike and Kevin and Bill are older guys, so it comes across as funnier to hear them make a more modern pop culture reference. Like they're bemused or befuddled at it, but they'll gamely give it a shot anyways. Trace and Frank do much the same thing in their "The Mads are Back" shows (though usually their current references are more political than cultural, as Frank is basically if Bernie Sanders didn't bother self-censoring, and rather than run for public office decided to just watch a lot of Mannix reruns instead). Old people making fun of bad movies is funnier, is what I'm saying. :corsair:

IDK, they did a lot of topical jokes in the skits, probably fewer in the riffs, back in the cable days. They seem old now because they are, but they were referencing a lot of stuff that was in the news/popular consciousness back in the 90s (every joke about the Olympics, an athlete, musician, or politician, for example).

Rifftrax does a lot of "we're old but here's a pop culture internet thing" too.

I'm just saying that if you find the old pop culture jokes more relatable, it's probably because you too are old. Although I guess it could be that you don't even recognize them as being pop culture jokes because you're so far removed from that time period.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 8, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I doubt if anyone born in the last 20 years would have the first clue what Mike's Lord of the Dance sketch was about.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Can confirm, Old MST3K had a bunch of dated jokes; I had to look up who Jack Perkins was to understand what his skits were going for, and he was the introductory character for the MSTH cuts!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mozi posted:

when i was lonely i watched mst3k and pretended they were my friends :unsmith:

:smith:

When I hear people talking about how the Netflix MST3K was going too fast with their riffs, I think this is the real source of their complaint. The original show had a very strong hang-out vibe, that gave an aura of being around friends who were cracking jokes. The new seasons (at least, the first new season) was a lot more about getting in a high volume of good jokes. And honestly, they succeeded in that. The joke quality and quantity was higher on the Netflix version than in the original. But it lost that hang-out vibe. It was more like being at a comedy club instead of sitting at a table with some funny people. As others have mentioned, the corrected a fair amount in the second Netflix season, and it will be interesting to see how they will take things in this new version.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that's a good way of describing it, yeah

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yesterday I spent like 2 hours looking for sites that make personalized shot glass. Since RLM stopped their bandcamp site and have never restocked their shot glasses run, I wanted to make a RLM shot glasses myself.

I even make the logo already, it's a

STAR TREK
PICARD
Re:View

logo. But shot glasses are so hosed expensive to make since you have to pay an one-time $30-50 set up cost.

Do you guys have any funny RLM desktop thing suggestion? I don't want any stupid apparel. This is like the only time I wish I had a 3D printer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

write "jack" on one of your enormous dildos

if you don't have one, buy one

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

When I hear people talking about how the Netflix MST3K was going too fast with their riffs, I think this is the real source of their complaint. The original show had a very strong hang-out vibe, that gave an aura of being around friends who were cracking jokes. The new seasons (at least, the first new season) was a lot more about getting in a high volume of good jokes. And honestly, they succeeded in that. The joke quality and quantity was higher on the Netflix version than in the original. But it lost that hang-out vibe. It was more like being at a comedy club instead of sitting at a table with some funny people. As others have mentioned, the corrected a fair amount in the second Netflix season, and it will be interesting to see how they will take things in this new version.

Or maybe that's how young people hang out, because of their Twitters and Whatnotters!!! They just say as many jokes as possible and the friend who gets the most jokes in is the winner of the hangout.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

infernal machines posted:

IDK, they did a lot of topical jokes in the skits, probably fewer in the riffs, back in the cable days. They seem old now because they are, but they were referencing a lot of stuff that was in the news/popular consciousness back in the 90s (every joke about the Olympics, an athlete, musician, or politician, for example).

Rifftrax does a lot of "we're old but here's a pop culture internet thing" too.

I'm just saying that if you find the old pop culture jokes more relatable, it's probably because you too are old. Although I guess it could be that you don't even recognize them as being pop culture jokes because you're so far removed from that time period.

I already said I was an old coot :v: And yeah, the skits were much more laden with then-current pop culture stuff. I was thinking more of the riffs, which didn't dip into that well quite as often as the skits (not to say they never did, just not as often).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I have no clue what movie they were watching on the original show but I still remember decades later howling at "They're running out of ALT!" when it cut to a plane's altimeter as it went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

write "jack" on one of your enormous dildos

if you don't have one, buy one

Taking Vicodin so I can take Jack