Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Hey all, just starting to think about comics as a more serious thing than as just something to doodle in my sketchbook. Here's a one pager that I've been working on:

Let me know what you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Gonna keep howling into this void with a new comic:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Chip McFuck posted:

Hey all, just starting to think about comics as a more serious thing than as just something to doodle in my sketchbook. Here's a one pager that I've been working on:

Let me know what you think!

Chip McFuck posted:

i really like these both. the only reason i didn't comment after the first because i couldn't think of anything more helpful to say than "i like the jokes" and "i like the art". but i do, very much

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Chip McFuck posted:

This post has been reported for personal attacks.

squealing county
Mar 27, 2021
Pigly, Quigly, and Stout are back but not so good at animation as the rest of this thread.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

squealing county posted:

Pigly, Quigly, and Stout are back but not so good at animation as the rest of this thread.

i love it

squealing county
Mar 27, 2021

Thank you, the rest of the comments are available in the GBS thread

squealing county
Mar 27, 2021
that is to say, comics.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've decided that the problem in between myself and cranking out more pages of my webcomic was how onerous and tedious I've always found digital coloring to be.

So! To that end, I've invested in some copic-like markers and begun practicing coloring stuff before embarking on doing an actual full-color page.

Here's the results.

Trip report - I'm really enjoying it so far. Honestly, coloring with markers on actual physical paper has been what I needed to rekindle my 'drawing spark' so to speak, so I'm eager to see how this ends up looking when I attempt to color a full comic page. It's a bit of a learning curve, though, because the markers seem to smudge the ink.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'm glad you found something that works! Doing a different format or playing around with a different medium than you're used to can really help jumpstart the old art muscles, for sure.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DrSunshine posted:

I've decided that the problem in between myself and cranking out more pages of my webcomic was how onerous and tedious I've always found digital coloring to be.

So! To that end, I've invested in some copic-like markers and begun practicing coloring stuff before embarking on doing an actual full-color page.

Here's the results.

Trip report - I'm really enjoying it so far. Honestly, coloring with markers on actual physical paper has been what I needed to rekindle my 'drawing spark' so to speak, so I'm eager to see how this ends up looking when I attempt to color a full comic page. It's a bit of a learning curve, though, because the markers seem to smudge the ink.
Are you doing the inking digitally, or doing it by hand? If the latter, you can probably invest in some inks that are more insoluble.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Fangz posted:

Are you doing the inking digitally, or doing it by hand? If the latter, you can probably invest in some inks that are more insoluble.

By hand! I've been just using regular india ink, but that's a great suggestion. I hadn't even thought of that ink could be more insoluble.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
nice B)

coloring traditionally is almost meditatively pleasing to me, it definitely has its drawbacks (like the difficulty with doing anything non-additive) but I find the variety of sensory feedback and lack of screen to be very enjoyable

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Coloring by hand will also give your webcomic a very unique look that will help it stand apart from other digital based comics, so I wholly support this endeavor! Reminds me of the Kick-rear end comic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
:toot::toot::toot:My comic has a real website now! :toot::toot::toot:

https://tapas.io/series/John-Doe

I also made a cover page for it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

:toot::toot::toot:My comic has a real website now! :toot::toot::toot:

https://tapas.io/series/John-Doe

I also made a cover page for it.

Awesome!! Congrats, man!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Congrats :toot: .

I've gotten it in my head that I should provide transcripts / descriptions of my comic and for some reason I didn't think it would take that long to type up the 40-something pages I've got drawn so far :sweatdrop: . It's something I've been meaning to do for awhile now, and better now than when I'm 140 pages in, I guess.

Anyone else done anything like transcriptions for accessibility?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I always start and then tap out around page like 5 :/

I also kind of feel like just a straight transcript of my comic (including blocking/choreography and scene descriptions) for a person with a visual impairment wouldn't be really entertaining for them, and that for the amount of work to make it actually worth their time, I'd be rewriting the thing in prose pretty much. Just the nature of the medium, there's a lot lost when the visual is lost, in a way I don't think you can really make up without completely *switching* the medium in which it's represented. Like it would be better to just do a chapter by chapter prose rewrite in order to take advantage of the strengths of prose, rather than trying to essentially do a Google Translate of each page.

I'm not saying that to dissuade anyone or say it's not worthwhile to consider readers w/visual impairments, just for me it would be like, I dunno, being a composer and trying to verbally describe a piece i wrote so that a person with a hearing impairment could access it. The accessibility is there (and that's a worthy endeavor), but I'm not sure the entertainment is.

Of course if you're willing and able to do this I think that's awesome and you should follow through.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Bold of you to assume my comic's entertaining to anyone in the first place :smug: .

But on a serious note: as I've been exposed to it and read about it, the more I've learned that offering accessible options is generally a good thing. I don't know who in my potential audience will find transcripts and descriptions useful -- maybe no one will! -- but if it can help someone enjoy what I've made, then I'm happy to offer it. Maybe it's someone wanting to read along with their sighted friend, maybe it's someone who doesn't speak English well and needs an easier way to look up words, maybe my handwriting font is just hard for someone to parse for whatever reason, who knows.

My art is important to my creative process, and I wouldn't be doing this as a comic if I didn't think there was something inherent to the medium to let me tell my story, but I've also got the time and I'm willing to put in the effort to implement this other way of experiencing it.

And this isn't a post to try and persuade anyone into offering transcripts themselves. Some things just aren't going to be easily adapted, after all. I just wanted to see if there was much discussion about the topic.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i have eternal plans to reboot one of my many failed webcomics, and i'm leaning more toward text-heavy graphic novel than full comic for two reasons. 1) the accessibility is built in, so i don't have to worry about going back and doing a text summary of each page; 2) making a fully visual longform comic is a backbreaking years-long hard labour sentence and the whole artform was developed by humans as an elaborate means of self-torture and punishment for our sins

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Hell yeah, I think there's a lot of room for stuff like illustrated prose to find a home online. It's something I've been tempted to do too but I don't have the motivation to spin that many plates in the air at once.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

My art is important to my creative process, and I wouldn't be doing this as a comic if I didn't think there was something inherent to the medium to let me tell my story, but I've also got the time and I'm willing to put in the effort to implement this other way of experiencing it.

This is a really great perspective and I support you on your endeavor :shobon: I hope my post didn't come across like "lol don't."

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Learning by doing, right? I decided to stop being afraid and just start making my comic about goblins.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Hell yeah, good luck :slick: !

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

I'm loving the ink work on these, especially the 'HEH.' Its form and the way it takes up space is just super pleasing. Are you doing all those hatches manually, or have you got a brush that speeds the process?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So back a while I said I'd start coloring my pages mostly physically, using markers, from now on. I tried it with this and man, it worked so well! I'm super happy with how much less time it took to do. 90% of it is physical, and I did highlights and some extra shadows and gradients digitally.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

So back a while I said I'd start coloring my pages mostly physically, using markers, from now on. I tried it with this and man, it worked so well! I'm super happy with how much less time it took to do. 90% of it is physical, and I did highlights and some extra shadows and gradients digitally.

I like the way that looks

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Hey I've been scouring the forums, and the next at large for advice on my comic, and help in general. I'm a new artist, I started drawing about 18 months ago, but I didn't start taking it seriously until december, when I started spending an hour or two doing studies every day. I've fallen off that wagon a bit, because I learned that taking a break when doing intense practice is actually really helpful. My webcomic is in my avatar, but I have the latest page here, and was wondering if I could get some critique or feedback? I'm pretty thick skinned, and can handle it. Though in my experience people who say that generally can't I really can, and every piece of advice I got from a new artist has helped me grow so much. I'm crossposting this to the digital art thread as well, so yeah! Let me know what you think!

Specific criticism I'm looking for (besides general things that you think I might be missing entirely!) Ways I can tighten up the style I'm going for, whether the textured canvas works well or not, thoughts on the textured multi-colored lines. Brushes that might do the same thing or better! The one on the left is the size I upload at, and the size on the right is my original working size.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Hey I've been scouring the forums, and the next at large for advice on my comic, and help in general. I'm a new artist, I started drawing about 18 months ago, but I didn't start taking it seriously until december, when I started spending an hour or two doing studies every day. I've fallen off that wagon a bit, because I learned that taking a break when doing intense practice is actually really helpful. My webcomic is in my avatar, but I have the latest page here, and was wondering if I could get some critique or feedback? I'm pretty thick skinned, and can handle it. Though in my experience people who say that generally can't I really can, and every piece of advice I got from a new artist has helped me grow so much. I'm crossposting this to the digital art thread as well, so yeah! Let me know what you think!

Specific criticism I'm looking for (besides general things that you think I might be missing entirely!) Ways I can tighten up the style I'm going for, whether the textured canvas works well or not, thoughts on the textured multi-colored lines. Brushes that might do the same thing or better! The one on the left is the size I upload at, and the size on the right is my original working size.

Wow, that's really impressive for someone who just started drawing 18 months ago! I'd say keep up practicing. I'm not sure what I'd say about your style - just keep practicing and drawing and it'll come by itself. Do continue to keep experimenting and do lots of studies of difficult things like hands and faces.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah absolutely, I made this today because people were commenting on my progress, and it made me so happy.

(Link for full size: https://bobapearlessence.com/Webcomic/06/Never_Give_Up.png

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I can see you are using a 3D model program like sketchfab or similar for perspective reference, but the jump from the first image to the rest and some of the cues in the later poses feel like you may be tracing directly on top of the 3D models; the silhouettes look extremely consistent but the interior linework doesn't describe the form of the subjects on quite the same level yet. If this is the case and this process serves you for getting your narrative out then that is fine, but if you want to really grow your drawing style it may be a hindrance long-term to use the reference models in this particular way.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Reiley posted:

I can see you are using a 3D model program like sketchfab or similar for perspective reference, but the jump from the first image to the rest and some of the cues in the later poses feel like you may be tracing directly on top of the 3D models; the silhouettes look extremely consistent but the interior linework doesn't describe the form of the subjects on quite the same level yet. If this is the case and this process serves you for getting your narrative out then that is fine, but if you want to really grow your drawing style it may be a hindrance long-term to use the reference models in this particular way.

Absolutely, you nailed it in one, I've learned that way since the beginning. in fact some of the growing pains you see starting in may are me trying to break from that 3D mold and getting better at when the tracing is appropriate and when it's better to use as a general guideline for proportions!

E: I have been getting more confident and been pushing myself to grow in just the way you're talking about, I'm sure there's going to be another big dip as I go further in my craft.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 17, 2021

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah building on this, it's better to get just a feel for the way people move and the way objects look in reality. Though I haven't actually sat down and done a huge amount of figure drawing from real life or still lives, I still try to employ close observation whenever I go out or interact with the world and embed the "gestures" of things in my head. The next time you are able, observe the way people interact with objects at a public place, like a cafe or park, or on public transit. How do they sit? Where do their shoulders lie? What do they wear? How does their hair rest?

Try and take a few cues from classic cartooning like the "Line of action" to imbue your drawings with life.

It's sufficient to just get a naturalistic sketch of a figure or object, and the mind more or less just fills in the gaps. You needn't worry about being 100% photorealistic as long as the shapes and gestures look natural rather than posed or stilted.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 17, 2021

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

ill do u one better: look at these. scanned pdfs of old masters' cartooning techniques. its public domain and not :filez:

The Moon
Jun 8, 2006
In Space
Hi goons! Been working on a webtoon called Punch Drunk!

A mixed martial artist’s career options are limited when she loses an arm and replaces it with a high tech prosthetic. Meanwhile, her home dojo faces money trouble, and a suspended fighter with a bad reputation tries to create a women's roster at a notoriously savage fight promotion.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/punch-drunk/list?title_no=653521

Been having a lot of fun with it. My wife writes it and I do the drawings. It is fulfilling and also exhausting getting it done with most of our free time outside of our day jobs.

sliami posted:

ill do u one better: look at these. scanned pdfs of old masters' cartooning techniques. its public domain and not :filez:

This looks awesome! Thank you!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

And now, the updated beginning and thrilling conclusion of "Joey the Rat."

Critiques very welcome. Some people might remember I posted the first 7 pages a few months ago and I got some really useful feedback, I'd love to know what people think works or should be improved on the finished thing.

My plan now is to print it. I have some PDF/tiff files at 600dpi with all of the edits you see above. I'm a bit concerned about how smooth the lines will appear on the printed page, though. Here is what a slice looks like if I cut out 450x450 pixels and paste it into a 72dpi image:

The line edges are kind of craggy in a way they don't really look on the page. Do I need to worry about this before I send it to the printer? If I go to staples or something and ask them to print it at 300 dpi, will that be a useful preview of how it will look on the page from a "real" printer?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Moon posted:

Hi goons! Been working on a webtoon called Punch Drunk!

A mixed martial artist’s career options are limited when she loses an arm and replaces it with a high tech prosthetic. Meanwhile, her home dojo faces money trouble, and a suspended fighter with a bad reputation tries to create a women's roster at a notoriously savage fight promotion.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/punch-drunk/list?title_no=653521

Been having a lot of fun with it. My wife writes it and I do the drawings. It is fulfilling and also exhausting getting it done with most of our free time outside of our day jobs.

This looks awesome! Thank you!

This is great! I like the colorful art and the upbeat sports movie style of storytelling. I'm excited to see where you guys go with it!

Out of curiosity have you ever read the manga "Teppu"? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teppu) It's also about Women's MMA, though the story's quite a bit darker than this.

The Moon
Jun 8, 2006
In Space

DrSunshine posted:

This is great! I like the colorful art and the upbeat sports movie style of storytelling. I'm excited to see where you guys go with it!

Out of curiosity have you ever read the manga "Teppu"? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teppu) It's also about Women's MMA, though the story's quite a bit darker than this.

Thank you so much ! We have a lot planned cant wait for things to get moving and to delve deeper into everything.

I haven't read Teppu but thanks for bringing it to our attention, will have to check it out!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Truman Peyote posted:

My plan now is to print it. I have some PDF/tiff files at 600dpi with all of the edits you see above. I'm a bit concerned about how smooth the lines will appear on the printed page, though. Here is what a slice looks like if I cut out 450x450 pixels and paste it into a 72dpi image:

The line edges are kind of craggy in a way they don't really look on the page. Do I need to worry about this before I send it to the printer? If I go to staples or something and ask them to print it at 300 dpi, will that be a useful preview of how it will look on the page from a "real" printer?

600dpi is a bit overkill for a finished print quality ready file, but I work at a small time print shop. If you want, I can do some text prints, and scan it and or photograph it under a loop. Feel free to DM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hey I remember when you posted the first half! I enjoyed it!

Looks like your art's improved a bit since then as well. I particularly appreciate the attention to detail you've put into many of your backgrounds. Also I'm kind of surprised Ned survived at the end. He'd of deserved it for murdering an adorable rat like that :colbert:

Truman Peyote posted:

The line edges are kind of craggy in a way they don't really look on the page.

This was the exact reason why I started inking my pages digitally in CSP. There's a learning curve but once you get a feel for it the results are several orders of magnitude better just due to being able to redraw a line you hosed up and how smooth the lines become thanks to stroke stabalization.

For example, these are pages I made back to back. The main difference is that the second is digitally inked:

Just don't be a dumbass like me and start using the new format to draw things so small they can't be seen at web resolution.

Also I can't vouch for how well the digital pages will print because I haven't tried yet. So proceed with caution. :shrug: