Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

His whole shtick is claiming to be an authority on historical warfare based upon scientific testing done in a field using LARP protocols. His work on swords vs floppy 'spears' was revolutionary.

I already know who this is without watching the video lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I appreciate the effort but it's not like this hasn't already been aptly handled

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_Shoots_%26_Leaves more generally

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hate that I was taught that the oxford comma was wrong by those mind-butchers who called themselves my elementary school teachers and I thank God every day that I broke out of their thought prison and use all the commas I want

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I hate that I was taught that the oxford comma was wrong by those mind-butchers who called themselves my elementary school teachers and I thank God every day that I broke out of their thought prison and use all the commas I want

Impressive writing a sentence that long about using commas and not actually using any commas

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There aren't many hills I'll die on, but using the Oxford comma is absolutely one of them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarineShitposts/status/1379954680818712578?s=19

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I wondered about this for a second or two.

If a shark could attack a swimming kangaroo, and camels can swim, well, the world is a pretty big place, chances are decent a shark has attacked a camel.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Solice Kirsk posted:

There aren't many hills I'll die on, but using the Oxford comma is absolutely one of them.

Get in the locker, cry and piss yourself

VS

Get in the locker, cry, and piss yourself

Nerd

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think they once found horse bones in a tiger shark stomach or something so I guarantee at least one shark knows camels exist. All the other sharks probably don't believe him though. Like it's the shark equivalent of the Chupacabra....only they ate it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phy posted:

Impressive writing a sentence that long about using commas and not actually using any commas

:thejoke:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I got into an argument with a high-school teacher who wanted to ultra-Oxford. I still remember her sentence: "Six, small, brown puppies were found in a dumpster Monday morning." She insisted that because "six" was an adjective, it was part of the list.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I got into an argument with a high-school teacher who wanted to ultra-Oxford. I still remember her sentence: "Six, small, brown puppies were found in a dumpster Monday morning." She insisted that because "six" was an adjective, it was part of the list.

Well, tell them they're a wrong little old round pink euro wooden teaching bitch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

His whole shtick is claiming to be an authority on historical warfare based upon scientific testing done in a field using LARP protocols. His work on swords vs floppy 'spears' was revolutionary.

Let's not forget such political takes as "the British class system is actually a good thing, because some people are just better than others!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I appreciate the effort but it's not like this hasn't already been aptly handled

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_Shoots_%26_Leaves more generally

Problem here is not lack of comma but clearly the. Determiners a/an and the are 100% unnecessary and should be abolished.

See I deleted them all from above line (and this one) and it still makes perfect sense.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Problem here is not lack of comma but clearly the. Determiners a/an and the are 100% unnecessary and should be abolished.

See I deleted them all from above line (and this one) and it still makes perfect sense.

What gently caress?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oxford comma sometimes makes sentences nonsensical. Example:

Without: I sometimes enjoy eating pizza, burgers and hotdogs

With: I sometimes enjoy eating pizza, burgers, and the Oxford comma

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
just use a loving condom,

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

just use a loving condom,

The comma is basically the coitus interruptus of punctuation, so no.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm really wondering why facebook thinks I might know Ed Asner

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You don't? Look him up, he's pretty well-known.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress I'd reconsider Facebook if it let me be friends with Ed Asner

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Maybe they just meant "may know" as in he's on the approved list of people you are allowed to be aware of.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

rodbeard posted:

I'm really wondering why facebook thinks I might know Ed Asner

I got a similar recommendation for Bill Barr, turns out we have 6 mutual friends.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Makes you really appreciate bill burr doesn't it

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I got a similar recommendation for Bill Barr, turns out we have 6 mutual friends.

The former Attorney General and all around terrible human being? If so, your six friends have questionable friends and also you are either Eric Trump or Mitch McConnell's press secretary.

Or Bill Burr? They are very different people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Facebook tells me three of my "friends" are members of a landlord group but won't tell me which ones so I can block them :(

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Facebook tells me three of my "friends" are members of a landlord group but won't tell me which ones so I can block them :(

It used to be if you went to the page of the group it would show who was in it, with people you know at the top.

At least, that's how it worked in 2015, which was the last time I used that hellsite.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Solice Kirsk posted:

I invited the stripper, JFK, and Stalin.

Congrats, you have now implied that JFK is a stripper by use of the Oxford comma.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's almost as if hyphens could be used in order to counter this type of confusion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

Nothing that low, but most were actually 10

That line graph seems deceptive

Makes sense that he's high Intelligence though, dude used to be a librarian and analyst.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

theflyingorc posted:

I invited the stripper, JFK, and Stalin.

Congrats, you have now implied that JFK is a stripper by use of the Oxford comma.

If you don’t use the Oxford comma, there’s a stripper with a very weird name.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Commas, should be used to indicate rhythm. Don't burden yourself with using them to convey meaning, you will be misunderstood anyway.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Grendels Dad posted:

Commas, should be used to indicate rhythm. Don't burden yourself with using them to convey meaning, you will be misunderstood anyway.

I have used
the commas
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for a list

Forgive me
they were useful
to indicate
rhythm

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Grendels Dad posted:

I used to do this in highschool writing and my writing looked a lot better when I stopped

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

The comma is basically the coitus interruptus of punctuation, so no.

As with sex the optimal solution is abstinence

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I don't know why we should honor the pretentious college and its pretentious town on the name of this very useful usage of a comma. I will die before I call it an 'oxford' comma. It is the people's comma. Suck my balls, Oxford.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grendels Dad posted:

Wow I didn't know Christopher Walken posts here. You were ripped off in 2003 Mr Walken, Chris Cooper phoned that poo poo in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Memento posted:

Wow I didn't know Christopher Walken posts here. You were ripped off in 2003 Mr Walken, Chris Cooper phoned that poo poo in.

If you post with commas you won't attract the worm