Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://streamable.com/x7j13d
(Now available on Hulu, The Presence and Absence of Bugs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is that? Take Shelter?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's William Friedkin's Bug. And only I can see it!!!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's William Friedkin's Bug. And only I can see it!!!

Fuckin' love this movie. Shannon and Ashley Judd are awesome in it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

isaboo posted:

Fuckin' love this movie. Shannon and Ashley Judd are awesome in it.

They really are.

Friedkin is the king of "movies that have stuck with me forever but nobody I know has ever seen".

Killer Joe is probably my favorite movie to recommend and send people into as blind as possible.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 7, 2021

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That is a very mean thing to do.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah honestly that's the last movie I'd present without any kinda content warnings (that and anything by Gaspar Noe)...and I learned that from experience stupidly making it the focus of a movie night I was hosting once (i'd forgotten how crazy it gets, somehow)
Don't get me wrong, great cast, great direction, but...ugh....
My patented William Friedkin Rating System (WFRS) is based on a simple question based on Killer Joe: Did I have to watch someone's face get caved in with a can of pumpkin pie filling? Bug was a no, so that's already bonus credit.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
To clarify, I have sent like 3 people into that movie blind, all of them film buffs close to me that I know can handle movies of that nature and with a general idea of "its hosed up and wild". I went into it even blinder than they did.

I would not do that to anyone I know who might not be able to handle it.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 7, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I dunno how the gently caress I ever missed Killer Joe but I'm sure as gently caress gonna watch it now. I mean it's got Matty Mac but also....

Emile Hirsch, Juno Temple(!!! KeeleyJones !!!), Gina Gershon and Thomas Haden Church

Hell yes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its me the guy who loves all mst3k hosts (not all sketches however)
Im down for more mst3k and dont think riftrax does it better

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Caught The Untouchables finally...INFERIOR to Dick Tracy. Pretty but stupid. Some well directed sequences...at moments Costner's flat deliveries and the cartoonish script resulted in unintentional humor.
I give it extra credit for making the brave choice of having Kevin Costner use a baby as a human shield.
"I'm armed and expecting an imminent gun battle...this is a good time to push a baby stroller..."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Of course, if we're ranking The Untouchables as a Batman movie (which it basically is) then it's one of the best

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It’s clearly in the Battleship Potemkin genre, at least stylistically

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k
I'm liking 2021 more and more
If this gets the live shows streaming oh boy

I've liked the older stuff and the newer stuff, so I'm definitely on board for more episodes. I wonder what format/service they're going to aim for.

When cut to the bare essentials, MST3K should be a pretty cheap show to make, right? I'm sure some movies ask for a lot of money for the rights, but there must still be a lot that don't. There are just so many movies out there. Or, if you want to go super-cheap, just use some public domain movies.

(Also, Jonah is a great host.)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its pretty cheap but it's format will always be an unwieldy hat on a hat.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Old Guard impressed me in that it's the most incoherent film to set up a sequel that I've ever seen. And I saw the Josh Trank Fantastic Four.
It definitely had the components of a movie, but it felt so flat and idiotic that half the time it felt like a fever dream. I realized that some of the highest concept characters potentially (Hi I am a human being who has lived for thousands of years) are also some of the most boringly flatly written in fiction. It's a funny combination, it's like this empty thing parading in medals of "history" it hasn't earned tonally or in any of its performances.
I get that it's a "stupid action movie", but christ it's over two hours long and definitely takes itself seriously on some level.
It felt like a movie created by some sort of bad algorithm, though I appreciated the gay Crusader slam poetry interlude.
I will say though, it made me realize that the guy from Queen's Gambit was born to play a Dick Tracy villain.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Watching Tigtone on HBO Max and I actually really like it? It's definitely early 2000 Adult Swim flavor in violence and cruelty. But also absurdity, which saves it. The art style was grotesque to me when I first saw it, but it fits the world where everyone but the peasants are all grotesque monsters.

The comedy isn't revelatory or anything but the show is definitely willing to go out there for a laugh. Like the punchline to the Centaur episode stitched me up for how it was both super weird and obviously set up at the same time.

And at 11min an episode no story overstays its welcome.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I kind of liked that it was just straight sci-fi and didn't end with a "You know, maybe being Limited isn't so bad. Love and human connection is the real power." Still a so-so at best movie though.

Strangely enough, the surprisingly okay TV series was pretty comfortable with portraying Cooper's character as scary and amoral at best. He's only "good" because the other people are worse. The otherwise terrible pilot that kneecapped the show also made fun of the "I know Kung Fu" scene in the movie, which was a little funny.

I guess I mostly got pissed they whiffed what would have been a really cool and unusual story beat, by having De Niro's character absolutely own Bradly Cooper's character, a man who depends on meds for success (and which doesn't change throughout the movie), throught the power of institutional money and power (and buying out his pharma connection).

It would have been cool! Maybe a little D.A.R.E. but still cool! Like a 70s movie or something.

The show sounds better tho. I might check it out after I check everything else out.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 7, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

isaboo posted:

I dunno how the gently caress I ever missed Killer Joe but I'm sure as gently caress gonna watch it now. I mean it's got Matty Mac but also....

Emile Hirsch, Juno Temple(!!! KeeleyJones !!!), Gina Gershon and Thomas Haden Church

Hell yes.

I don't want to amp it up but it was my favorite movie that year.

I happened to watch it in a dirty theater in Times Square when mid-way a random homeless woman wandered in somehow and with the sound of ripping burlap puked all over the first couple of rows.

People just moved up and kept watching. It's my favorite movie watching experience. The smell was like some 4-D poo poo.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The WeWork documentary on Hulu was great. Rich people are morons

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Junkie Disease posted:

Its me the guy who loves all mst3k hosts (not all sketches however)
Im down for more mst3k and dont think riftrax does it better

I am fine with all the hosts, my favorite period was the Mike period, but I think thats less to do with Mike as a host and more with preferring the Pearl/Brain Guy/Bobo dynamic to Dr. Forrester and Frank. I hope they make more, because I enjoy even mediocre mst3k.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
My favourite episode is the one where Pearl watches the movie and Mike has boys' night with Bobo and Brainguy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Pearl/ Brain Guy/ Stupid Monkey was the best iteration of the show. Oh and I guess Mike was there too

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I also enjoy all the hosts, and the grumbling about Jonah sounds just like the people bitching when Mike took over. Bring on more with the reboot cast I say, although I will admit that while I love Patton Oswalt, he and Felicia Day are the weakest bads by far.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I also enjoy all the hosts, and the grumbling about Jonah sounds just like the people bitching when Mike took over. Bring on more with the reboot cast I say, although I will admit that while I love Patton Oswalt, he and Felicia Day are the weakest bads by far.

Elvis Spinning in his not grave

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't dislike Jonah because he's different, I've disliked Jonah for a decade for being the poster-boy for obnoxious geeky dweebs in comedy with a lot of arrogance and no self-awareness. He was "that guy who was even more obnoxious than Chris Hardwick" on the Nerdist podcast for a long time before MST3K.

But yeah, Joel is way better than Mike, what a downgrade :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Looking back, I think a lot of my favourite/least favourite with MST3K is based on the quality of the VHS rips I had. I didn't like the Robot Holocaust or Alien from LA episodes because my copies were so bad I couldn't clearly hear the dialogue they were mocking.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Haha ok I forgot about Elvis, second worst then.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Caught The Untouchables ...
I give it extra credit for making the brave choice of having Kevin Costner use a baby as a human shield.
"I'm armed and expecting an imminent gun battle...this is a good time to push a baby stroller..."

(Not spoiler tagging a movie almost as old as me.)

I mean, it was more him trying to get the woman and her baby out of there ASAP since she was struggling up the stairs at a sluggish pace. The bigger dumb decision was trying to at times make it historically accurate and then completely inventing such a bizarre death for Frank Nitti.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I made the somewhat questionable decision to watch Jacob's Ladder last night for the first time - at 1AM by myself in a dark room :gonk: I had some pretty hosed up dreams, to say the least. Good god.

This was one of those films I'd been meaning to watch for decades - I remember when it first came out when I was 5 years old back in 1990, and it was one of those films I can still recall my parents and older brother talking about as being especially scary - thus it was one of very few 'R' films I wasn't allowed to see at the time. I guess because of that I was always a bit wary of just how hosed up it might actually be, and avoided it on that basis. But I saw it on HBOMax while browsing around last night, and figured, why not?

I am glad I watched it - extremely memorable film that gave me a lot to think about. Frankly, I'm still mulling it over. Obviously it's meant to be one long death-hallucination of some sort, but that seems like an overly simplified way of looking at the film and it doesn't ring entirely true or feel accurate. The life we see Jacob leading after the war seemed like more than a hallucination or some imagined journey into death, to me. But I'll need to see it again.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kaworu posted:

I made the somewhat questionable decision to watch Jacob's Ladder last night for the first time - at 1AM by myself in a dark room :gonk: I had some pretty hosed up dreams, to say the least. Good god.

This was one of those films I'd been meaning to watch for decades - I remember when it first came out when I was 5 years old back in 1990, and it was one of those films I can still recall my parents and older brother talking about as being especially scary - thus it was one of very few 'R' films I wasn't allowed to see at the time. I guess because of that I was always a bit wary of just how hosed up it might actually be, and avoided it on that basis. But I saw it on HBOMax while browsing around last night, and figured, why not?

I am glad I watched it - extremely memorable film that gave me a lot to think about. Frankly, I'm still mulling it over. Obviously it's meant to be one long death-hallucination of some sort, but that seems like an overly simplified way of looking at the film and it doesn't ring entirely true or feel accurate. The life we see Jacob leading after the war seemed like more than a hallucination or some imagined journey into death, to me. But I'll need to see it again.

Just be glad they didn't include this deleted scene with blood coming from the ceiling! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hkLhMuzk3E

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm watching Saving Private Ryan again and drat this movie is still a gut punch even after all these years

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It sounds like you watched Jacob's Ladder the c correct way. I watched it under similar conditions.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I happened to watch it in a dirty theater in Times Square when mid-way a random homeless woman wandered in somehow and with the sound of ripping burlap puked all over the first couple of rows.

Funny, I recalled that you mentioned this before and after reading that I went and had to give it a watch for myself.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't dislike Jonah because he's different, I've disliked Jonah for a decade for being the poster-boy for obnoxious geeky dweebs in comedy with a lot of arrogance and no self-awareness. He was "that guy who was even more obnoxious than Chris Hardwick" on the Nerdist podcast for a long time before MST3K.

But yeah, Joel is way better than Mike, what a downgrade :colbert:

I understand this completely. Ultimately he was fine enough on MST3K for me, but you could put a 100 names in a hat and I'd probably be more excited about that host.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just realized earlier today that I could re-up my Netflix account through my VPN to get the cheaper Argentina rate (669 ARS/month) for the "Premium" tier. Google says 669 ARS = 7.25 USD, but I guess after taxes/fees it came out to just under $12. Still a nice discount!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

teagone posted:

I just realized earlier today that I could re-up my Netflix account through my VPN to get the cheaper Argentina rate (669 ARS/month) for the "Premium" tier. Google says 669 ARS = 7.25 USD, but I guess after taxes/fees it came out to just under $12. Still a nice discount!

Plus you can get different movies if you stream netflix from other countries. I think that still works anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector Hound posted:

Plus you can get different movies if you stream netflix from other countries. I think that still works anyway.

I think they've gotten wise to it, somewhat. From what I've read you can't see movies in the menu that aren't available in your accounts region, but if you have a direct link to them they'll still work.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Late to say it, but I finally watched The Vast of Night and wow just what a terrific, terrific little movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Happy endings got added to hbo max, this is a very funny show that managed to get 3 seasons before finally being canceled (due to network bullshit). And it looks like hbo has the episodes in proper order which was a problem before with Hulu.