Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On a different note--the Mandalorian original novel got cancelled

https://twitter.com/delreystarwars/status/1369332524288212997?s=21

Cynically, I wonder if it's because Cara Dune was going to be a major character in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

On a different note--the Mandalorian original novel got cancelled

https://twitter.com/delreystarwars/status/1369332524288212997?s=21

Cynically, I wonder if it's because Cara Dune was going to be a major character in it

That's certainly possible. But I think it's more likely that they didn't expect Mando to be so popular, so they figured why not have a tie in novel. But now Mando is going to be the centerpiece to, like, a dozen (hyperbole, I know who I'm talking to) new shows, and the fact is that the books are always going to be background and second class citizens in Star Wars, so the "adults in the room" are going to handle Mando moving forward. So any books will be figured out later, after they lay the groundwork with the new shows.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I think it's the continuity being in a constant state of flux around the series and era. They don't want to constrain Favreau and Filoni. I would think they could do a one-off story about Mando tracking down a bounty before the first episode, but maybe they don't think that would be a draw.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

jivjov posted:

I don't really get why they don't just recast the character?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

General Battuta posted:

“let’s do something new”

The problem was that the main guy pushing that message was the antagonist who was depicted throughout as confused, torn, and ultimately mistaken. Even within TLJ itself.

Like that was even Luke's arc, being pushed back towards not rejecting the wisdom of the past amidst all the failures.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The problem was that the main guy pushing that message was the antagonist who was depicted throughout as confused, torn, and ultimately mistaken. Even within TLJ itself.

Like that was even Luke's arc, being pushed back towards not rejecting the wisdom of the past amidst all the failures.

Rey found her own answers regarding her parents before she ever spoke to Ben about it. He filled in some details, but is was her visionquest in the cave that started telling her "your parents aren't anyone special. You are just you, just Rey. Figure out your own destiny"

E: Ben and Luke both had different ideas about how to "not let the past define you". Ben wanted to burn it all down and rebuild from the ashes. Luke wanted to bury it all, never to be spoken of or built from at all. They were wrong in their methods, but not in the base principle. Rey was the one that was getting to the idea of synthesizing past knowledge and future growth in harmony

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 9, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

That's not a problem.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

Yeah, I think it's the continuity being in a constant state of flux around the series and era. They don't want to constrain Favreau and Filoni. I would think they could do a one-off story about Mando tracking down a bounty before the first episode, but maybe they don't think that would be a draw.

Yeah, especially as it's not just the novel, but I saw the visual guide was also just canceled, and that would have no doubt filled in a lot of background details of characters and events in the show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

That's certainly possible. But I think it's more likely that they didn't expect Mando to be so popular, so they figured why not have a tie in novel. But now Mando is going to be the centerpiece to, like, a dozen (hyperbole, I know who I'm talking to) new shows, and the fact is that the books are always going to be background and second class citizens in Star Wars, so the "adults in the room" are going to handle Mando moving forward. So any books will be figured out later, after they lay the groundwork with the new shows.

yeah. like why make a book when you can just push out a side mini series about a popular character.

Teek posted:

yeah. they can also probably fix poo poo that was wrong with the sequel trilogy with tv shows and poo poo.

this. i never understand the folks who legit think kylos "gently caress them all, burn it all down for not being like US" poo poo is some genuinly good faith statement. its toxic selfish statement from a dude who realizes every father figure he has had has failed him and such. so he just wants to light the village that rejected him on fire. the movie is pretty loving expclicit that he is in the wrong here even if he has a point. but twitter folks are morons. than they ruined it all with TRS

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drone posted:

I don't really get why they don't just recast the character?

I think they are still working out what to do about Rangers of the New Republic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not quite book related, but next month a ton of Legends-classified TV stuff is coming to Disney+: the Fett cartoon from the Holiday Special, the original Clone Wars show, and both the Ewoks TV movies and cartoon. Honestly I'm more surprised at the Tartakovsky series getting a release than the other stuff. Though I wish the Droids cartoon was in there too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Any particular reason Droids got left off, or should it be expected to appear later?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

No idea. Presumably it's not a rights issue, since it was also done by Nelvana, which did the Holiday Special and Ewoks cartoons. I saw some people speculate that maybe it will get added closer to when Disney releases its "A Droid Story" animated movie, to hype that up.

I do think that the reason the Holiday Special cartoon alone is being added is because the rights issues with the live action segments, not because there's some secret clause that Lucas insisted on in the Disney sale or whatever. Though recently I was listening to some old discussions about the Holiday Special from long-term collectors, who said back when Lucasfilm originally announced they were making VHS releases in the late 80s or early 90s, that they initially were going to include the Holiday Special. I'd never heard that before.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Does Disney+ have standard definition content, just uprezzed? Wondering how a lot of that older stuff will look. I doubt they had masters for the old cartoons they could re-encode?

Happy to see Disney is still pushing the back catalog though.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 17, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well, in line with the old Legends TV stuff coming to streaming, there's also a new range of Legends Hasbro Black Series figures announced, including Jaxxon:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-black-series-books-comics

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Any particular reason Droids got left off, or should it be expected to appear later?

The official site just announced that Droids is going to be added later this year, thankfully. Really looking forward to that. It's very goofy but I think it's high enough quality to watch if you don't mind watching old 80s kids cartoons. Plus it's interesting in that a lot of little bits of it kept showing up in the prequels.

Del Rey also announced that as part of the Lucasfilm 50th anniversary, they're releading new trade paperback editions of certain Legends books with new cover art. The first ones announced are Heir to the Empire, the first Darth Bane book (lol), and Shatterpoint, which is also going to get an unabridged audiobook for the first time.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

To be fair, the first Darth Bane book was fine. It's the rest that were terrible bullshit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm love Shatterpoint

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

The official site just announced that Droids is going to be added later this year, thankfully. Really looking forward to that. It's very goofy but I think it's high enough quality to watch if you don't mind watching old 80s kids cartoons. Plus it's interesting in that a lot of little bits of it kept showing up in the prequels.

Del Rey also announced that as part of the Lucasfilm 50th anniversary, they're releading new trade paperback editions of certain Legends books with new cover art. The first ones announced are Heir to the Empire, the first Darth Bane book (lol), and Shatterpoint, which is also going to get an unabridged audiobook for the first time.

yeah, i listened to the abridged version and it just kinda ended with a fart if i remember.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If I remember correctly (and it's been a long while) I think it cuts out the entire final battle and wrap-up?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i listened to the abridged version and it just kinda ended with a fart if i remember.
Yeah, it went something like

[huge battle]

[more battle]

[even more battle]

[Mace wins]

"Kar Vastor, you're under arrest."

THE END

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arcsquad12 posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you. It was pretty obvious from the interviews about Legacy of the Force that the higher ups had no actual plan for how the storyline would go. John Ostrander wrote Legacy making it a lot further into the future to allow for a change to the status quo. But the old EU crept up on it as the newer books came out where there was only a century or so between the end of "current" EU and the future of Legacy. A century is a long time but when you consider that Jagged Fel is supposed to be the founder of an Empire that has been active for quite a while it puts pressure on the newer EU stuff to set up how the Fel Empire formed. And as I said, they had no plan.

Christie Golden was suppose to write a trilogy focused on Jagged and Jaina post-Fate of the Jedi. It probably would have dealt with the founding of the Fel Empire and Imperial Knights in some way.

Speaking of no plan. It really feels Disney has none for post-Episode IX stories and that's why they decided to do The High Republic since they have a clean slate in that time period.

I really should get around to buying and reading Light of the Jedi.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Speaking of no plan. It really feels Disney has none for post-Episode IX stories and that's why they decided to do The High Republic since they have a clean slate in that time period.

I feel like that's on purpose. There's no way we're not going to see Episode X somewhere down the line (they'll trot out Lucas' old "12 Episodes" thing to justify it), and they're not going to want another canon reset, so Episode 9 is going to be the endpoint for the galaxy until the next trilogy.

It's the same reason we're never going to see Bothans again - they don't want to step on the toes of a hypothetical Rogue Two (not Zev).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, especially with Episode IX telling us Palpatine is fundamentally immortal, and the war is continuing for another cycle, there's gonna be some Big Thing post 7-9 -- be it a Sequel-er trilogy, a big capstone episode X, something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robot Style posted:

It's the same reason we're never going to see Bothans again - they don't want to step on the toes of a hypothetical Rogue Two (not Zev).

It's funny because Bothans have appeared in Disney novels, but with no description of their appearance; and then other visual sources have shown the EU version of Bothans, but without identifying them as such.

I feel like it was a big misstep not to have Bothans in Rogue One, just to confuse even further everyone who thought the "many Bothans" died to get the original Death Star plans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Robot Style posted:

I feel like that's on purpose. There's no way we're not going to see Episode X somewhere down the line (they'll trot out Lucas' old "12 Episodes" thing to justify it), and they're not going to want another canon reset, so Episode 9 is going to be the endpoint for the galaxy until the next trilogy.

this. they are gonna do bunch of tv shows and fill up the 20 or so years between 3 and 4 and also the 30 or so years between 6 and 7. then eventually they will probably do a new trilogy.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, especially with Episode IX telling us Palpatine is fundamentally immortal, and the war is continuing for another cycle, there's gonna be some Big Thing post 7-9 -- be it a Sequel-er trilogy, a big capstone episode X, something.

i think sheeve is dead. Ian McDiarmid isnt getting any younger(though him being dead don't mean poo poo as we have already seen) i think it will be some other dark side threat they start building up in the other shows and poo poo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'll stake anything that when the Sequel Sequel Trilogy gets made, it will be the evil spirit of Darth Vader returning or someone impersonating Vader or something like that. They can cram anyone into the suit and Lucasfilm already has the James Earl Jones voice modulator and 40 year old Daisy Ridley fighting Vader is pretty much programmed to unleash a flood of thinkpieces over how the movie is a commentary on overcoming toxic masculinity or whatever will get YouTubers clicks in twenty years.

I mean, just writing that out I put more effort into that than they did with developing Snoke, so maybe it won't happen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny because Bothans have appeared in Disney novels, but with no description of their appearance; and then other visual sources have shown the EU version of Bothans, but without identifying them as such.

I feel like it was a big misstep not to have Bothans in Rogue One, just to confuse even further everyone who thought the "many Bothans" died to get the original Death Star plans.
The response to "What's your call sign?" in Rogue One should have been "Uhhhhh.... Bothans...? Manuel Bothans?" And then Bodhi could have been all "ah poo poo, I should have been cool and said "Rogue One" like a badass :smith:" as he takes off.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the biggest misstep in rogue one was killing kyle and jan cassian and jyn

now who's going to save the valley of the jedi???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jazerus posted:

Our only hope lies with Jaden and Rosh.

Never trust a stupid poo poo like Rosh.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Our only hope lies with Jaden and Rosh.

Never trust a stupid poo poo like Rosh.

in new canon, ben solo killed all of luke's students mostly because he just loving hated rosh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll never forget those old Jedi Outcast/Academy Re-Edited videos that were basically early 2000s shitposts tearing Rosh Penin apart.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jazerus posted:

You joke but there actually was an idea during the writing of Rogue One to have both Cassian and Jyn survive by being frozen in carbonite and crashing into Coruscant with the goal that they could then be thawed out for more adventures after Return of the Jedi.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think sheeve is dead. Ian McDiarmid isnt getting any younger(though him being dead don't mean poo poo as we have already seen) i think it will be some other dark side threat they start building up in the other shows and poo poo.

TRoS very explicitly doesn't bother differentiating Sheev's "death" at Exegol from his "death" at Endor. By opening up the idea that "blowing up his physical form doesn't actually kill his spirit/essence/consciousness" and not resolving that in any way, they're just setting us up for The Immortal Emperor. Even if Ian stops coming back to play the role, TRoS also sets up the idea of him being able to body hop into someone who murders him.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

jivjov posted:

TRoS very explicitly doesn't bother differentiating Sheev's "death" at Exegol from his "death" at Endor. By opening up the idea that "blowing up his physical form doesn't actually kill his spirit/essence/consciousness" and not resolving that in any way, they're just setting us up for The Immortal Emperor. Even if Ian stops coming back to play the role, TRoS also sets up the idea of him being able to body hop into someone who murders him.

“NO ONE’S EVER REALLY GONE” is such a pitch perfect line to describe how dumb the plot is. Ian Mcdiarmid was one of the fun parts of the movie, but lol at this Saturday morning cartoon villain Pandora’s box they opened up.

“We killed him extra good this time with Jedi magic” yeah sure see you next Saturday at 10.

E: since this is the book thread, I am aware they did that like twice in the old EU, but also I pointedly didn’t bother reading those back in the day. Something about three eyed clones, but maybe still handled better than the films did?

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 8, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm still really curious if there is actual footage out there of Matt Smith as rejuvenated Palpatine, or if that just never got filmed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rob Rockley posted:

“NO ONE’S EVER REALLY GONE” is such a pitch perfect line to describe how dumb the plot is. Ian Mcdiarmid was one of the fun parts of the movie, but lol at this Saturday morning cartoon villain Pandora’s box they opened up.

“We killed him extra good this time with Jedi magic” yeah sure see you next Saturday at 10.

E: since this is the book thread, I am aware they did that like twice in the old EU, but also I pointedly didn’t bother reading those back in the day. Something about three eyed clones, but maybe still handled better than the films did?

the EU eventually built a fairly coherent set of rules around the idea of sith ghosts with the implication that yeah, a sith can stick around, but once their ghost is banished they're done

the palpatine stuff pre-dated that but nobody ever brought him back a second time so it ended up conforming to the rules in the end

Chairman Capone posted:

You joke but there actually was an idea during the writing of Rogue One to have both Cassian and Jyn survive by being frozen in carbonite and crashing into Coruscant with the goal that they could then be thawed out for more adventures after Return of the Jedi.

lol that would have been peak star wars. han solo getting frozen: "drat well we have no idea if he'll survive, no one's ever tried this" and then gradually it becomes clear that everyone and their mother has been frozen in carbonite before han was

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 8, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lando's objections to Han being frozen in ESB, and Vader's own dialog, refer to the "crude" and industrial nature of the equipment, not the procedure itself. Like trying to perform surgery with kitchen cutlery rather than a surgical suite and proper tools

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jivjov posted:

Lando's objections to Han being frozen in ESB, and Vader's own dialog, refer to the "crude" and industrial nature of the equipment, not the procedure itself. Like trying to perform surgery with kitchen cutlery rather than a surgical suite and proper tools

let me have this, jivjov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this in a major way but the Rogue Squadron movie is going to be post episode 9, isn't it? They said it was leading into a new era for Star Wars.