Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh and I didn't even mention that Mark "fucks goats" Millar suggested "as a joke" that the equivalent "Death of Superman" and "Knightfall" story for Wonder Woman was...The Rape of Wonder Woman

""I pitched this to DC for a laugh years back. The idea was that, like 'Death of Superman', we had 'Rape of Wonder Woman'; a twenty-two page rape scene that opened up into a gatefold at the end just like Superman did."

The comic's idea surfaced around 1993, the year of the mentioned Death of Superman arc as well as the Batman arc Knightfall where the Caped Crusader got his spine broken by Bane and is forced to give the Batman identity to violent anti-hero Azrael as he recovers. Despite Millar saying that the story was just a joke he had made, he mentioned the fact that DC Comics was actually considering publishing the story and already had an artist draw a sketch for the comic's first page.

This was meant to be DC's way of exploring a state of weakness to Wonder Woman in a similar vein to the previously Superman and Batman stories; with the comic starting with Wonder Woman being violated in public. However, the increase of rape allegations in the media at the time and a lot of complaints in both DC's writing and art departments lead to the comic's quick cancellation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

My feelings about Mark is the same as Grant Morrisons

quote:

He still lives in Glasgow, is there a chance of bumping into him?
There’s a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I’m going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Millar's story apparently requires Matthew Vaughn to adapt it into something presentable. See: Kick-rear end and the first Kingsman.

Also LOL at peoole complaining that Wanted is unrealistic when the comic book version has character literally made out of poo poo. Also I'm guessing the movie is probably more enjoyable than the comic book? Only other thing I know about it is the ending where the main character who was modeled after Eminem screaming at the reader while loving someone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McCloud posted:

Oh and I didn't even mention that Mark "fucks goats" Millar suggested "as a joke" that the equivalent "Death of Superman" and "Knightfall" story for Wonder Woman was...The Rape of Wonder Woman

What the everloving christ

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McCloud posted:

Morrison's insults are even well written

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

McCloud posted:

""I pitched this to DC for a laugh years back. The idea was that, like 'Death of Superman', we had 'Rape of Wonder Woman'; a twenty-two page rape scene that opened up into a gatefold at the end just like Superman did."

The comic's idea surfaced around 1993, the year of the mentioned Death of Superman arc as well as the Batman arc Knightfall where the Caped Crusader got his spine broken by Bane and is forced to give the Batman identity to violent anti-hero Azrael as he recovers. Despite Millar saying that the story was just a joke he had made, he mentioned the fact that DC Comics was actually considering publishing the story and already had an artist draw a sketch for the comic's first page.

This was meant to be DC's way of exploring a state of weakness to Wonder Woman in a similar vein to the previously Superman and Batman stories; with the comic starting with Wonder Woman being violated in public. However, the increase of rape allegations in the media at the time and a lot of complaints in both DC's writing and art departments lead to the comic's quick cancellation."

mark millar will not see heaven :yikes:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

McCloud posted:

Morrison is so loving good

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Millar is capable of good and interesting base ideas for stories. The set ups of Wanted and Kick rear end are both really interesting. The problem is that he always takes it in the dumbest and most puerile direction imaginable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's why Superman Red Son worked. Because Grant Morrison did the ending.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Why does this look so cheap?

Nthing that Millar's name being on it makes me more inclined to not go near this, his particular take of fallen/corrupted/tainted superheroes just dont really have anything interesting to say anymore, if it ever did beyond the novelty of it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Millar's always struck me as the poor man's Garth Ennis, and a lot of people already have issues with Ennis at his best

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

McSpanky posted:

What the everloving christ

See, you know something is really bad when it makes you go, "You know, compared to this, maybe Whedon's WW script isn't that bad..."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Was Mark Millar the guy who wrote the comic where Iron Man was going to use the N-word before being interrupted?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Neurolimal posted:

Millar's always struck me as the poor man's Garth Ennis, and a lot of people already have issues with Ennis at his best

Yeah absolutely

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Was Mark Millar the guy who wrote the comic where Iron Man was going to use the N-word before being interrupted?

You're thinking of Bill Jemas' Marville, I'm pretty sure

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Millar's success mystifies me, because his entire gimmick seems to be "create pastiche of something familiar, add swearing, sadistic ultraviolence and anal rape, £$ching$£".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Payndz posted:

Millar's success mystifies me, because his entire gimmick seems to be "create pastiche of something familiar, add swearing, sadistic ultraviolence and anal rape, £$ching$£".

The 00s was a hell of a time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

That's actually a pretty good comparison. The real difference is that, at heart, Ennis is a romantic and Millar is a cynic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

That's actually a pretty good comparison. The real difference is that, at heart, Ennis is a romantic and Millar is a cynic.

Ennis is the guy who had a Punisher villain wear protective gear made out of babies, right?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Ennis is the guy who had a Punisher villain wear protective gear made out of babies, right?

I don't think so. He did have a plotline where Frank had a kid and the villain kidnapped her. Is that what you're thinking of?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Grendels Dad posted:

Let me guess: Half the cape people in this trailer are Actually Evil. Especially Super-Jesus.

God I wish. No, it's more about the fail children of wealth super-heroes.

Who knows though, worse works of his have had better adaptations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't think so. He did have a plotline where Frank had a kid and the villain kidnapped her. Is that what you're thinking of?

Apparently. A quick search suggests I was thinking of a panel from Mark Waid's Insufferable:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Apparently. A quick search suggests I was thinking of a panel from Mark Waid's Insufferable:

This is...actually...what the gently caress...this is

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowman_McK posted:

Did you not see the Aborted Fetus Demon from DC that one time?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

hahahaha, that's awesome.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

hahahaha, that's awesome.

As someone who is typing this while holding a ten day-old baby in his arm, that guy must be Powerman-tier strong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

As someone who is typing this while holding a ten day-old baby in his arm, that guy must be Powerman-tier strong.

He isn't, but duct tape is.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Payndz posted:

He adds "can be boiled down to a brief elevator pitch" so when he sells the rights for adaptation filmmakers can shave off anything they want (mostly rape) while core idea remains.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Payndz posted:

Millar tends to get good or at least iconic artists to work with him. So, beyond the elevator pitch, you do often have these striking little packages that standout.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

lmao

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

They should have made this dude Swedish so he could be like "you can call me...Baby Bjorn!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

They should have made this dude Swedish so he could be like "you can call me...Baby Bjorn!"

Welp. I guess we can shut down the internet for the day. Not gonna top this.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

Pretty funny?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grendels Dad posted:

This feels like they stole the idea from Devilman.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

That's always been my take, with the added note that Millar shouldn't be legally permitted within 1000 feet of a school.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

That's always been my take, with the added note that Millar shouldn't be legally permitted within 1000 feet of a school.

Or, really any place children are likely to be. Or come from. Like vaginas. Basically Mark Millar shouldn't be permitted to be anywhere near women and children. Because he's gross, nasty and creepy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

This feels like they stole the idea from Devilman.

Go Nagai did something like that twice, from what I remember. First in Devilman where one of the devils kept the souls of the people he ate as a shell protecting his body, and once later on in one of his Mazinger sequels (Grendizer, maybe?) where a villain duck taped a school classroom to a giant robot to keep the hero from fighting it.

Edit: yeah it was Grendizer.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 9, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't really see that Ennis is better or worse than Millar, but maybe I'm out of touch. The last Ennis thing I looked into was Crossed and I am not sure Millar has done anything quite as skeezy as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

well why not posted:

I don't really see that Ennis is better or worse than Millar, but maybe I'm out of touch. The last Ennis thing I looked into was Crossed and I am not sure Millar has done anything quite as skeezy as that.

He absolutely has and it's called The Unfunnies.