Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SavageMessiah posted:

For what it's worth, the N-word being a toggle is probably because it's easier for them to block that one with very few false positives because it's a single word and pretty distinct. The others are much more vague so the slider is probably essentially setting how much collateral damage you are willing to accept to block that poo poo.

Perhaps I am giving them too much credit though lol.

Definitely the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skwirl posted:

Right below the toggle they have "and all variations" so at the very least that's hard r n-word and the ending with an a one. Can their software accurately detect that in every single possible accent? Scottish people have to fake a posh English accent to use phone banking.

This thing will absolutely constantly flag innocent words while letting the worst filth through unless the speakers have the exact speech patterns of the white techbros that got paid to scream slurs at it during development

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mak0rz posted:

This thing will absolutely constantly flag innocent words while letting the worst filth through unless the speakers have the exact speech patterns of the white techbros that got paid to scream slurs at it during development

There was just a news story about a black girl using proctor software for COVID home schooling having to sit next to an open window because it wouldn't recognize her being there unless there was insanely bright light on her face. She was basically hosed when it was overcast.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

lol I didn't even think about how they'd train this thing. Jesus Christ.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's probably enough exigent hate speech on twitch and what not they don't need new samples. Just a lot of white tech bros deciding where particular examples fall on the misogyny scale

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1379949180169297920?s=21

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Was he the one who said waterproofing isn't torture and when given one gave up in the first few minutes?

edit: I mean waterboarding

toanoradian has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Apr 8, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Was he the one who said waterproofing isn't torture and when given one gave up in the first few minutes?

Assuming you mean waterboarding, there's more than one, including Geraldo.

Although, waterproofing a large deck is also hard enough I wouldn't argue with anyone who called it torture either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We should definitely waterproof stephen crowder, so he explodes in his own piss.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

smoobles posted:

Some white men at Intel spent time & money developing an app that uses advanced AI to let stream watchers decide how much misogyny and racism they want to hear

https://twitter.com/beesmygod_/status/1379940286927937540

if I was Intel I'd implement a slider to differentiate between hard r and regular n-word

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Scottish people have to fake a posh English accent to use phone banking.

When I have group calls using Google chat, the voice recognition only understands my Scottish friend if he puts on a Sean Connery accent. Always amusing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/tomokoseph/status/1379772547919568898?s=19

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

Close, but remember, we know how software detection of black skin tones is.

The filter will determine that there are, in fact, no black people on streaming services.
They can't actually turn off the filter piecemeal so instead they censor all n-words and pay gig economy workers to insert new n-words as required

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
This website isnt exactly "idiots on social media" but I'm not sure where to send it and it has me laughing. Something about the all-caps enthusiasm and 1998 web design

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Most of the UK outside of the south east also has to do that, I talk to the phone like it's the queen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Now do Iraq.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

OwlFancier posted:

Most of the UK outside of the south east also has to do that, I talk to the phone like it's the queen.

I use the Bank of Scotland and have to pretend to be a little old lady called Morag from the Hebrides for it to understand me. I naturally do sound more like the queen. Want to swap?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OwlFancier posted:

If I talked to my phone like it was the queen I would just be cursing nonstop

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

toanoradian posted:

That one was Christopher Hitchens, who lasted approximately one splash before dropping the dead man's switch and, to his credit, immediately switched his position, permanently, to "it's absolutely torture and it is loving insane that we are doing it at all"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Bismuth posted:

This website isnt exactly "idiots on social media" but I'm not sure where to send it and it has me laughing. Something about the all-caps enthusiasm and 1998 web design

God I need to make a nice Web 1.0 thread soon

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Skwirl posted:

Although, waterproofing a large deck is also hard enough I wouldn't argue with anyone who called it torture either.

you just need the right deck sealant

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

toanoradian posted:

Yeah, as mentioned Hitchens was actually waterboarded in a realistic fashion and gave up quickly and went on to say it was absolutely torture. Crowder does have a video of him being 'waterboarded' but it consists of him lying on a basically flat surface with a towel on his face and a buddy dumps water on his face every now and then, giving him warning before every pour to allow him to hold his breath and whatnot.

e: Ah, here we go. There's another event I was trying to find because Hitchen's didn't quite match up with what I remembered. Radio host Erich Muller did something similar, he was an ardent Bush supporter and denounced people saying waterboarding was torture until a listener poll had him trying it out for himself

quote:

On May 22, 2009, Muller had himself waterboarded during his radio program on WLS,[34] having lost a listener poll determining whether he or co-host Pat Cassidy would be the one waterboarded. The talk show host had previously claimed that calling waterboarding "torture" was wrong, something he had stated that he hoped his reenactment would prove.[35] Lasting only 6 seconds ("8 seconds less than the average person", according to program guest Marine Sergeant Klay South, who was the one to administer the waterboarding), Mancow afterward changed his opinion, saying, "It is way worse than I thought it would be, and that's no joke", and described waterboarding as "absolutely torture".[34][36]

Questions were later raised about the validity of the procedure. South had no formal training in waterboarding and had never before performed the procedure, leading the online celebrity and gossip site Gawker to accuse Muller of faking the whole thing.[37][38] Muller later stated in an interview on Countdown with Keith Olbermann, "I admit it, it was a stupid radio stunt. But waterboarding, all it is, is water in your nose and mouth with your head back." Further adding "We went into this thinking it was going to be a joke. But it was not a joke – it was horrible. 'Hoax' is probably not the right word, but we did think it was going to be a joke."[39][40]

And a brief transcript from NPR of this segment
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104498599

quote:

LYDEN: Well, he lasted just six seconds. The average is 14. Here he is being interviewed about it by co-host, Pat Cassidy.

Mr. MULLER: It is way worse than I thought it would be, and that's no joke.

Mr. PAT CASSIDY (Radio Host): Would you consider that torture?

Mr. MULLER: Look, all that's been done to this country, and I heard about water being dropped on someone's face, and I never considered it torture. Even when I was laying there, I thought this is going to be no big deal. I go swimming. It's going to be like being in the tub. I do now want to say this: absolutely torture. Absolutely. I mean, that's drowning.

LYDEN: One man's belief that waterboarding is not torture reversed in only six seconds.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 11:59 on Apr 8, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Skwirl posted:

I was being hyberbolic, but it's a gruesome and incredibly exploitative form of entertainment that encourages the worst in people.

My actual area!

True crime predates detective fiction, in fact the reason detective fiction exists was because of the British public's lust for more true crime. It's also the reason the press in it's infancy was able to take off - the Guardian in particular owes it's existence to true crime.

If you want to find out more then the Detective fiction writer PD James and the historian T.A. Critchley wrote a book called the maul and the pear tree. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/573194.The_Maul_and_the_Pear_Tree which is about the murder that started the public's obsession with all murder - the 1811 Ratcliffe Highway Murders.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

teen witch posted:

God I need to make a nice Web 1.0 thread soon

Please include this delightful bean site that looks like it was made in 1998 amd never updated

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not to pile on with the RacismFiltr app but god what a perfect illustration of the tech-will-solve-everything mindset. We don't need to do the hard work of training bigotry out of society, we can just make it so you don't have to hear it if you're such a snowflake. Freedom and choice for all!

Never mind also that if someone's shouting slurs at you in-game, the slurs aren't the only lovely thing about them you are still having to deal with, they're still there yelling at you in real-time and being an abusive rear end with no consequences even if all you hear is bleeps (especially because a game with this filter in it will just use it as an excuse to not have any moderation)

Concentration camps? Well you don't have to look at them, problem solved

We shall agree to disagree

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
But filters totally stopped any shenanigans in club penguin....oh...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

A few years ago I had to cancel autorenew on my xbox live gold ( I had a 360 and back then you could only cancel by phone) and they had a voice recognition system called Max. I have a pretty middle of the road generic English accent and even I couldn't get it to understand me.

Eventually I had to just put on the exact same ridiculous American game-show host accent the recording was using to get it to even let me into the menus.

My brother's wife is from Northern Ireland (Newtownabbey) and she has never been able to get siri or any kind of voice recognition to work at all.

Data Graham posted:

Never mind also that if someone's shouting slurs at you in-game, the slurs aren't the only lovely thing about them you are still having to deal with, they're still there yelling at you in real-time and being an abusive rear end with no consequences even if all you hear is bleeps (especially because a game with this filter in it will just use it as an excuse to not have any moderation)
Also that I have never seen a game with automated text filters that hasn't hosed it by either being overzealous and falling foul of the scunthorpe problem, or by missing banned words entirely when people insert spaces or punctuation or mis-spell words.

Part of the problem is that AI doesn't get context, it tends to just look for the combination of letters and then use a black box process to have it work out patterns that it inevitably applies wrong, especially in nuanced cases like race and offense.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The worst part about true crime people is when they reach the grizzled gumshoe stage... they start trying to "solve cases" and start thinking "exposing myself to hosed up poo poo online" is a personality trait. They start thinking that "reading a bunch of murders" has endowed them with an understanding of law and justice. The fact that there's like entire reddit boards devoted to Jon Benet or those Dutch hikers is just sad imo.
I get why it's popular as a genre and only spreading though. People are loving depressed and feel generally powerless.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Part of the issue of course is that slurs and profanity, when used as a trigger for consequences, are just a convenient shorthand for "this person is being a poo poo". If they eliminate the slurs through magic technology, all it does is remove an easy way to identify a problem person and get rid of them. Now you have to watch them carefully for a long time, build a dossier,, "This guy is acting like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet",

Masterclass in solving the wrong problem / missing the point.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The worst part about true crime people is when they reach the grizzled gumshoe stage... they start trying to "solve cases" and start thinking "exposing myself to hosed up poo poo online" is a personality trait. They start thinking that "reading a bunch of murders" has endowed them with an understanding of law and justice. The fact that there's like entire reddit boards devoted to Jon Benet or those Dutch hikers is just sad imo.
I get why it's popular as a genre and only spreading though. People are loving depressed and feel generally powerless.

Yeh, these people would be better off studying the history of police procedure, which as it happens is insanely complicated and area specific, and funnily enough not a history of ruggedly handsome men in new York offices with flashing neon signs outside the window.

The irony is a lot of the reddit stemlords who get into this stuff would be A Lot happier studying the science of crime detection and following the natural route of that to becoming one of the over 50 edgelords playing the great game.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Data Graham posted:

Not to pile on with the RacismFiltr app but god what a perfect illustration of the tech-will-solve-everything mindset. We don't need to do the hard work of training bigotry out of society, we can just make it so you don't have to hear it if you're such a snowflake. Freedom and choice for all!

Concentration camps? Well you don't have to look at them, problem solved

We shall agree to disagree

Exactly, and the shitheads will just switch to other terms to avoid the filters anyway - like the 4chan "joggers" thing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Even freep started using ‘amish’ on their website.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Masterclass in solving the wrong problem / missing the point.
There's a great phrase which is "Liberals can only police tone and not content" and I think about that a lot.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Maybe Intel is actually smart and the program automatically uploads the uncensored tirade to YouTube and publicly shames them.

Am I the IOSM?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/whoiszhu/status/1379641428754726915

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I never even understood the start of the whole waterboarding is not torture thing because if it wasn't torture why did they think we were doing it?

Give the 'terrorists' a little rinse?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NLJP posted:

I never even understood the start of the whole waterboarding is not torture thing because if it wasn't torture why did they think we were doing it?

Give the 'terrorists' a little rinse?

They know it's considered morally correct but also think it's good. It's sort of like how Holocaust deniers basically argue "it didn't happen, but it was cool."

Edit: morally INcorrect, jeez

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Apr 8, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Waterboarding is no big deal, but we use it because it works (on dishonorable non-white people)"

"George Floyd just died out of spite and drugs, the cops are blameless, but he did deserve to die"

"Heather Heyer wasn't killed by being run over, she had a heart attack at that exact moment, too bad"

Just more of this shell-game argument technique I mentioned yesterday, making people have to counterargue a completely absurd or contradictory tangential premise instead of the outrageous thing right at the heart of the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Bread Santa's making fun of idiots:

https://twitter.com/MrBreadSanta/status/1380008129757257730