Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If you've never listened to the D&D Court episodes, the one they dropped today has an absolutely legendary follow-up to last month's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally got current again, I kind of appreciate the mountain climbing. Low level fights in DND are usually kind of boring, and conversely it becomes a lot harder to have basic physical challenges when the PC's can teleport or shapeshift and what not, I like seeing another challenge for them while they still can.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I demand to know what this cyclops' relation to Pendergreens is

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I actually really prefer early-level 5e combat. Higher level 5e can get way too bonkers with the magic at players' hands (for my taste at least, I know most people probably differ from me, here).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Since a lot of people were loving Lou in this thread, it's probably worth pointing out that he just did an episode of Adventuring Academy on Dropout with Brennan, where they fully stat out a character. Brennan apparently made sure to keep which character they were going to stat out a secret from Lou while planning it, but wanted to stat out this character in case they ever do another season of Fantasy High, though he made sure to say there were no promises it was going to happen. It's being done as a "just in case" thing, basically. That said, when he tells Lou that they're going to make a full level 20 Scrumbledown Bim, Lou almost walks out of the room.

Still, they go through deciding all the character details: his stats, his class levels, his possessions etc. It's fun to watch. I've never even seen Fantasy High, so I wasn't sure of the significance of the character, but Lou did his best to make him a completely vile dick that he never wants to face, but probably will one day and will hate every second of. Like I said: fun. If history is any indication, then it'll probably be up on YouTube in a week or two for anyone without Dropout who wants to see it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 2, 2021

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Chungledown Bim is the result of Fabian’s arrogance and cowardice, and thus is a monster he himself created.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

Since a lot of people were loving Lou in this thread, it's probably worth pointing out that he just did an episode of Adventuring Academy on Dropout with Brennan, where they fully stat out a character. Brennan apparently made sure to keep which character they were going to stat out a secret from Lou while planning it, but wanted to stat out this character in case they ever do another season of Fantasy High, though he made sure to say there were no promises it was going to happen. It's being done as a "just in case" thing, basically. That said, when he tells Lou that they're going to make a full level 20 Scrumbledown Bim, Lou almost walks out of the room.

Still, they go through deciding all the character details: his stats, his class levels, his possessions etc. It's fun to watch. I've never even seen Fantasy High, so I wasn't sure of the significance of the character, but Lou did his best to make him a completely vile dick that he never wants to face, but probably will one day and will hate every second of. Like I said: fun. If history is any indication, then it'll probably be up on YouTube in a week or two for anyone without Dropout who wants to see it.

Well, related to the character they madeLou does face him. It was the boy's night special that's up on Dropout. Chumbledown Bim is a loving monster in that too, all they could really do was run.

I spoilered it in case someone isn't fully caught up on Fantasy High.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

really is worth a watch, I actually didn't know he and Brennon did improv together, which makes sense since they have good chemistry and all.

"Have I told you what NPC we're doing?"

"No, Brennon, you actually told me multiple times you're going to surprise me, I told you I don't want to be surprised, you said 'ha ha ha'..."

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

tsob posted:

This is absolutely outstanding. Lou and Brennan are treasures to be sure.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Someone mentioned a page or two back that they don't like Spritle, and I'm gonna second that opinion after this latest episode. I don't think it's companion overload though; I just hate the monotone voice Murph uses for Spritle. It drags me out of the episode every time he speaks as Spritle, because he's so stiff sounding. Which is intentional, but is still really jarring and annoying. Spritle has started getting more human as things have gone on though, so I hope Murph ditches the voice soon too, because I can't stand it. I think Fia and Zerk's bragging competitiveness over the two companions putting on a play this episode would probably have been a lot more fun with a more engaging Spritle, for instance.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I’m catching up on Unsleeping City and just wanted to say how good Murph is. He’s playing an incredibly funny and bombastic shithead, but he never takes over the table. Cody’s relationships with Pete and Ricky are some of the highlights of the season, and I think Murphy’s generosity as a player has a lot to do with it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Dimension 20's latest season, Of Mice and Murder started last night. I'm only a few minutes in, but I'm already wondering why they didn't have Siobhan as one of the guests considering the fact it's set in a Fantasy England and she's the one recurring Dropout member who is actually British. Or just made it all new faces, for that matter. I like Ally, but she's the one cast member who's a regular on the show, so I wish they'd replaced her with someone else. Rekha was one of the best parts of Escape from the Bloodkeep and I kind of wish they'd replaced her too, honestly, even if she only did one season before this.. It'd be cool to see Jake or Caldwell on a season of Dimension 20, for instance. Adam Conover, Erika Ishii etc. are cool people they could have used from within the Dropout stable too, and it's obvious they have connections within the wider D&D space at this point considering some of the other guests they've had over the years/seasons.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

Dimension 20's latest season, Of Mice and Murder started last night. I'm only a few minutes in, but I'm already wondering why they didn't have Siobhan as one of the guests considering the fact it's set in a Fantasy England and she's the one recurring Dropout member who is actually British. Or just made it all new faces, for that matter. I like Ally, but she's the one cast member who's a regular on the show, so I wish they'd replaced her with someone else. Rekha was one of the best parts of Escape from the Bloodkeep and I kind of wish they'd replaced her too, honestly, even if she only did one season before this.. It'd be cool to see Jake or Caldwell on a season of Dimension 20, for instance. Adam Conover, Erika Ishii etc. are cool people they could have used from within the Dropout stable too, and it's obvious they have connections within the wider D&D space at this point considering some of the other guests they've had over the years/seasons.

With Sam Reich there, I think it was a way for them to get some of their friends paying jobs during the pandemic, rather than getting the perfect cast. The usual people they get seem to have other jobs right now, but I know a lot of the other shows aren't getting renewed on Dropout right now. I believe Sam in particular had said he wanted to be on one of the seasons just for the fun of it, but the rest are probably for variety and helping their friends.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

tsob posted:

Ally uses they/them btw

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

With Sam Reich there, I think it was a way for them to get some of their friends paying jobs during the pandemic, rather than getting the perfect cast. The usual people they get seem to have other jobs right now, but I know a lot of the other shows aren't getting renewed on Dropout right now. I believe Sam in particular had said he wanted to be on one of the seasons just for the fun of it, but the rest are probably for variety and helping their friends.

yeah I bet the math on that has changed now that it's digital, because all the earlier seasons were very clearly shot over like 3 days to be able to afford guests flying into LA

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

seaborgium posted:

That's a really good point, and not something I had considered. Oh well; the first episode is still tonnes of fun regardless. I think Raph and Grant are probably the best at least in that episode, but it's obvious all of them are having a ball. I just loved Grant using props to imitate what his character is doing, so he was constantly holding a pen when his character is holding a pipe, or a pad of A4 paper to simulate a newspaper. Ally's little dog moments are great too; the sniffing, the fact they want Lar's tail to indicate his mood etc. All really fun stuff. I was expecting the episode to end with a murder any of the cast could have done going off the trailer, and everyone to have to figure out whodunnit, and maybe that's where this'll go in another episode and they just didn't have time to reach that point after one episode, but as is it's still pretty engaging and the fact episode one didn't end that way means that maybe the show will throw a curveball and the bit in the trailer implying it might have a completely different context; like Brennan planning Escape from the Bloodkeep to end with the entire cast engaging in a PvP contest to determine the new lord of evil, and instead everyone being friends to the point he knew he had to abandon that idea after a few episodes.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Ally uses they/them btw

Damnit, completely forgot that. Yeah, I realized that a while ago after double checking Wikipedia when I noticed people addressing them that way in one of the other shows I saw them on, but it just slipped my mind. Thanks for the correction.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 9, 2021

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I think it's gonna be a good season with this cast. Grant is a standout right now.

Also it's great how they are all playing rogues.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
my god, the bag...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crazyeyes posted:

I think it's gonna be a good season with this cast. Grant is a standout right now.

Also it's great how they are all playing rogues.

The whole cast is pure gold but I literally had to pause the video I was laughing so hard at 'Daisy D'umpstaire' and her backstory

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

The whole cast is pure gold but I literally had to pause the video I was laughing so hard at 'Daisy D'umpstaire' and her backstory

Rehka is extremely good. She is also great in Escape From Bloodkeep.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sexpig by night posted:

Rekha's character makes me wonder how common that idea of someone of common birth keeping their birth name but just changing the pronunciation is, because there was a show on UK television when I was growing up called Keeping Up Appearances which starred a woman whose name was Hyacinth Bucket, but she insisted everyone pronounce it Bouquet and Daisy does essentially the same thing. They even have somewhat similar appearances, with the same penchant for flowery hats for instance. The after show discussion with the cast is pretty fun too, and has a lot of the same energy as the NaDDPod chats in the Short Rests. As in, Brennan goes to tell a story about how despite having a reputation as someone who isn't a nerd Grant is responsible for one of the apparently fan favourite parts of The Unsleeping City (the actual Stephen Sondheim being a broadway spirit with two huge anime swords as his weapons), but the discussion almost immediately veers off into about ten minutes of everyone discussing pooping habits.

It also makes me more excited to see Katie in action, because Brennan talks about how they did a pre-show trial run thing that was almost purely combat and (a) Katie opens it by telling everyone that her character is masterbating in a bush, which everyone has to try and improvise with and (b) despite never playing DnD before, her character is so combat focused in comparison to the rest that she completely bodied the whole cast; which meant she went in to the show with a real swagger that she could take anyone, because she's done it before. It also informs why she could intimidate Raph's character so easily in the first episode. It's great.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"of the South Carolina Dumpsters"

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Crazyeyes posted:

Rehka is extremely good. She is also great in Escape From Bloodkeep.

this popped up on twitter at the start of the month and yes, yes she is.
https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1377674755940171778

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Having just listened to the latest episode and accompanying Short Rest I would like to say that I am totally down for the main campaign to go on hiatus for a few weeks again following the end of this arc so that the gang can play a side quest as bad guys in Eldermourne. Reaper's Creepers sounds fun as gently caress.

I don't know if Caldwell would step away again for a few more weeks of paternal leave, though I assume not, but it'd be cool to get a guest on for a few weeks for that short campaign, whether to replace someone or simply to join the full crew. Actually, it sounds kind of awesome to have a mini campaign of 2 to 4 episodes between every arc or three with one guest along each time. It'd give Murphy time to plan out bigger stuff, everyone would get to gently caress around with weird builds they'd never play long term, they could do some fun world building etc.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

Having just listened to the latest episode and accompanying Short Rest I would like to say that I am totally down for the main campaign to go on hiatus for a few weeks again following the end of this arc so that the gang can play a side quest as bad guys in Eldermourne. Reaper's Creepers sounds fun as gently caress.

I don't know if Caldwell would step away again for a few more weeks of paternal leave, though I assume not, but it'd be cool to get a guest on for a few weeks for that short campaign, whether to replace someone or simply to join the full crew. Actually, it sounds kind of awesome to have a mini campaign of 2 to 4 episodes between every arc or three with one guest along each time. It'd give Murphy time to plan out bigger stuff, everyone would get to gently caress around with weird builds they'd never play long term, they could do some fun world building etc.

You could easily keep Caldwell in it for a side quest like that. Having characters they don't necessarily need to survive is always fun for a break. Though I think it's just as much work for the DM on these to set up a side quest as it is to do the main thing. Having one of the other 3 run it, or have a guest DM come in for a bit would be better I think. Hell, bring in Brennan or Lou, or there's a bunch of DM's out there now that would probably love to get some free promotion from running a game on a hugely popular podcast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, Caldwell, Emily, Jake or a guest DM'ing is a way better idea. I imagine Murph would enjoy the chance to PC in Eldermourne for a few episodes here and there too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would love that too; plus it would give Murph a break to plan ahead on future arcs, which I imagine would be helpful.

Has Jake expressed any interest in DMing? Given that he's been hesitant to even play a class with spells, I imagine he's probably in no rush to do something as complicated as DMing but I'd love to see it too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I believe he's mentioned DM'ing a game for one of his wife's friends. It was just a one off though, if I recall.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Apologies for the double post, but I'm currently writing up an effort post about CollegeHumor/Dropout to make a new thread for them in TVIV, rather than making GBS threads up this thread with off-topic discussion every week or two about various shows on the service. I'm doing up an intro on what the attraction, for me at least, is, along with writing up a piece on each of the bigger/ongoing shows (Um, Actually, Game Changer, D20 etc) and with maybe some info on shows related to the service (i.e. NaDDPod and Adam Ruins Everything spun). It's already pretty hefty in a word document even without the pictures I want to throw in, so yay for procrastination I suppose. I think they'd appreciate the irony in the fact I'm putting off college work to do a big post on a thing called Collegehumor where the cast regularly bemoan how little their college degrees were actually worth, if nothing else. Anyway, does anyone have a good idea for a title, because it's the one thing I'm drawing a complete blank on. Something along the lines of:

TVIV: Collegehumor on Dropout/YouTube - (insert comedic title here)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Triple posting to say that I posted a thread on TVIV for Dropout Stuff and/or Dimension 20 chat, so I promise I'll stop mentioning it here now.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't have anything particularly deep to say about it but Eldermourne continues to be excellent imo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this last episode was so good, a perfect example of Murph and them making a villain fight constantly funny and engaging, then suddenly realizing that the stakes are high and the party is totally hosed lol

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, I usually kind of lose my ability to pay attention in these really battle heavy episodes, but the goofy bizarre vibe of the guy kept me engaged. Solid episode.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

These most recent episodes are really drawing attention to the jersey-rear end way that murph pronounces "water". once you hear "wooder" for the first time, you can't unhear it

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Eh, I'm from the "wooder" region and it didn't even register for me.

For what it's worth, I pronounce the word correctly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

very excited for what im sure will be a gigantic mess in this trinivale one-shot

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

eke out posted:

very excited for what im sure will be a gigantic mess in this trinivale one-shot

When they described it last week with "they're basically badguys at this point" I figured we were in for a treat.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

docbeard posted:

When they described it last week with "they're basically badguys at this point" I figured we were in for a treat.

When they said that last week, they were right.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I believe they described the episode as having real "always sunny" energy so i can't wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it's a real good ep folks