Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Captain Monkey posted:

go watch Dark.

The show's website is loving AMAZING with episode-by-episode guidance and relationship mapping. It's so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Superman keeps a kryptonite ring in his belt buckle in case he's in a position where he's about to lose his mind, etc, and trusts batman and the other leaguers to grab it and put him down if he needs to be put down.

In the comics, that is. And by put down I mean knock out, not like "yo momma's so fat, they named her Rao cause drat that bitch be great" insults.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Nth Doctor posted:

The show's website is loving AMAZING with episode-by-episode guidance and relationship mapping. It's so loving good.
Which is kinda necessary, tbh. For how good the casting is, everyone kinda looks similar - which works great as a mistery when you're trying to piece the puzzle together, not so much if you want to get the full story on your first time through the series.

Speaking of Dark: I've loved the first season but I was really put off by all the stuff introduced in the last episode of S1 > the start of Season 2 to the point that I gave up after a couple of episodes in S2. I really loved the "Stranger Things, but grounded/thriller" feeling of S1, but I didn't really care for the generic 12 Monkeys postapoc future of S2. Especially cause it felt like it was taking the story away from the small town, character driven drama towards a more generic "fate of the world" story. Should I keep up with it, given what was driving my interest?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Superman keeps a kryptonite ring in his belt buckle in case he's in a position where he's about to lose his mind, etc, and trusts batman and the other leaguers to grab it and put him down if he needs to be put down.

The question of how they're going to take it from a madman who's as quick as the Flash and stronger than any of them presumably not being addressed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Jedit posted:

The question of how they're going to take it from a madman who's as quick as the Flash and stronger than any of them presumably not being addressed.
Very carefully.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Which is kinda necessary, tbh. For how good the casting is, everyone kinda looks similar - which works great as a mistery when you're trying to piece the puzzle together, not so much if you want to get the full story on your first time through the series.

Speaking of Dark: I've loved the first season but I was really put off by all the stuff introduced in the last episode of S1 > the start of Season 2 to the point that I gave up after a couple of episodes in S2. I really loved the "Stranger Things, but grounded/thriller" feeling of S1, but I didn't really care for the generic 12 Monkeys postapoc future of S2. Especially cause it felt like it was taking the story away from the small town, character driven drama towards a more generic "fate of the world" story. Should I keep up with it, given what was driving my interest?

In my opinion yes. It goes back to the town for the majority of the time and it’s all interconnected.

That said I also agree with not wasting time on media you aren’t enjoying. So it depends on how bored you were.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jedit posted:

Technically he isn't as quick as the Flash. Everyone just forgets that the Flash is one of the most powerful heroes because otherwise every single one of his encounters could end in a blink.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Flash's kryptonite is forgetting he's the Flash.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

rydiafan posted:

The Flash's kryptonite is forgetting he's the Flash.

Nowhere is that more evident than the TV show. His power level fluctuates so much that it's hard to give a poo poo about what's going on.

Speedsters all have the same issue:
If they can solve any problem in the blink of an eye, the only threat is other speedsters. That gets in to DBZ type fights where they are evenly matched in all aspects that it might as well be a fight between two normal people.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I liked in Man of Steel when he floats out of the spaceship and holds his arms out and becomes Jesus the Christ of Nazareth. Powerful.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Push El Burrito posted:

I liked in Man of Steel when he floats out of the spaceship and holds his arms out and becomes Jesus the Christ of Nazareth. Powerful.

10 Subtle Movie Moments YOU Missed!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Morpheus posted:

Technically he isn't as quick as the Flash. Everyone just forgets that the Flash is one of the most powerful heroes because otherwise every single one of his encounters could end in a blink.

'Those races were for charity.'

In general though a lot of people mad/confused about the Snyder movies still seem to have not actually watched them, which I suppose isn't unfair given 2/3 of them got butchered on the way to the cinema.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

"Well! What is it?"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Nowhere is that more evident than the TV show. His power level fluctuates so much that it's hard to give a poo poo about what's going on.

If they can solve any problem in the blink of an eye, the only threat is other speedsters. That gets in to DBZ type fights where they are evenly matched in all aspects that it might as well be a fight between two normal people.

It also somewhat constrains how they can creatively solve problems using their abilities, at least for mediocre writers. In the show there were more than a few episodes where it basically went: "I tried going fast, but it didn't work!" -> "Well have you tried going faster?" -> Turns out that Flash can in fact go faster, and it works.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In the comics, that is. And by put down I mean knock out, not like "yo momma's so fat, they named her Rao cause drat that bitch be great" insults.

He actually gave it to Batman. Trusting that he wouldn't do something insane with it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Usually the way they put limits on The Flash is by making the really super fast speeds potentially dangerous. In the Justice League cartoon he had to go extra extra fast one time to take out Braniac and it caused him to almost fade out of existence or something, he said he could never go that fast again.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In one of the many Flash discussions I've seen on here, some goon said that the Flash is totally fast enough to catch/dodge bullets, but is loving terrified of being shot and so has never tried it. I always liked that as a weakness for the character - his power is scary and unknown, so of course he's not gonna push the limits every single time.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Basebf555 posted:

Usually the way they put limits on The Flash is by making the really super fast speeds potentially dangerous. In the Justice League cartoon he had to go extra extra fast one time to take out Braniac and it caused him to almost fade out of existence or something, he said he could never go that fast again.

He went so fast that he literally ripped open a hole into the Speed Dimension

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was dumb about Godzilla vs King Kong was how when things go sideways in the Hollow Earth the scientist guy is able to just fly the vehicle that he didn't even know about like a couple of days ago (and was calling a helicopter on the boat ride there.) Also later he's able to rewire the power source to cause it to give Kong a jolt of electricity.

Then there's the thing where the movie violently murders all the human villains for the crime of not trusting Godzilla and building their own anti-Titan weapon.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah, the classic coyote>bear>tiger approach.

Then the Gorilla's that go in last will freeze in the winter. I think that's how the Simpson's bit goes. It's a valid solution to evil plants that kill you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

Something I thought was dumb about Godzilla vs King Kong was how when things go sideways in the Hollow Earth the scientist guy is able to just fly the vehicle that he didn't even know about like a couple of days ago (and was calling a helicopter on the boat ride there.) Also later he's able to rewire the power source to cause it to give Kong a jolt of electricity.

Then there's the thing where the movie violently murders all the human villains for the crime of not trusting Godzilla and building their own anti-Titan weapon.

I just assumed that if he hadn't died mid-speech the full plan was going to be to extort protection money out of the various world governments. But that's probably me projecting my hatred of capitalism

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Look Barry was in a coma for several weeks that doesn’t do good things to your brain but he’s trying his best.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

This is a weird nitpick and I feel bad criticizing a child but in Ozark season 1 the girl they cast to play the daughter in the flashback episode is so bad.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I can't think of an entity I would trust less with Godzilla powers than a private corporation. If the dude's plan worked, the Mecha woulda been deathraying union meetings before the end of the day.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Crowetron posted:

I can't think of an entity I would trust less with Godzilla powers than a private corporation. If the dude's plan worked, the Mecha woulda been deathraying union meetings before the end of the day.
Interior, emergency Union meeting - in a corner, a 300ft mecha lizard in a hat tries to blend in, hiding his gigantic billy club under his trench.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Apr 9, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
When the camera is moving around like it’s stalking the characters.

Stop doing that Longmire, slinking along the wall or going through the bushes. Especially when there’s a potential hostile or stalker-y character we haven’t seen in a while.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pussy Quipped posted:

This is a weird nitpick and I feel bad criticizing a child but in Ozark season 1 the girl they cast to play the daughter in the flashback episode is so bad.

On Ozark season 1 I had constant problem with the Langmores and how Martin handles that situation; some local hick crime family keeps trying to steal cartel money he is trying to launder and being a constant thorn on his operation, and the cartel just sits on their thumbs and do nothing about it.

Cartels know for killing people over one missing package now do not care about their half-a billion operation? Yeah, right.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Apr 9, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Granted there are a million versions but modern batman does indeed keep at least one kryptonite weapon in a lead-lined utility belt pouch basically at all times

Notably, because Lex Luthor's kryptonite ring gave him cancer.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Those races were for charity.'

In general though a lot of people mad/confused about the Snyder movies still seem to have not actually watched them, which I suppose isn't unfair given 2/3 of them got butchered on the way to the cinema.

Modern Superman is nowhere near the speed level of the Flash, yeah.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Depends on whether it's a Superman book or a Flash book, and whether the writer needs one or the other to be faster.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I really did like the flashes part of the "fighting re-animated dead superman" in the JL movie. Having Superman track him with his eyes was an awesome "oh poo poo!" moment.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

AFewBricksShy posted:

the JL movie. Having Superman track him with his eyes was an awesome "oh poo poo!" moment.

My IIMM with this was that although it was cool seeing him rev up and Superman track him, I was left wondering exactly where and why he was speeding? It’s shot like he’s going to run around Superman, and while that’s in keeping with Barry’s ‘not very good at fighting’ schtick, it does beg the question of what precisely he was hoping to achieve,

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Torquemada posted:

My IIMM with this was that although it was cool seeing him rev up and Superman track him, I was left wondering exactly where and why he was speeding? It’s shot like he’s going to run around Superman, and while that’s in keeping with Barry’s ‘not very good at fighting’ schtick, it does beg the question of what precisely he was hoping to achieve,

I was thinking supersonic sucker punch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aphrodite posted:

Notably, because Lex Luthor's kryptonite ring gave him cancer.

I did like that bit and how they played it in Justice League. The stuff's glowing green, and energetic enough to be used as an extremely potent energy source. The effect it has on Kryptonians is one thing (I kinda figured it's a result of them absorbing solar radiation so ridiculously efficiently also means they absorb the harmful stuff too) but the stuff is still obviously radioactive. They actually foreshadow it a bit in World's Finest before Justice League was a thing; the Joker acquires a 'jade' dragon statue with a track record of its owners dying mysteriously, and of course, it just happens to be carved from Kryptonite.

Also reminded of one comic that plays with the Silver Age conceit that the stuff was everywhere, with even the most pathetic antagonists seemingly able to get their hands on it. In that case, you could buy Kryptonite on Ebay, and the producers of an in-universe Superman movie found it easier to use the real thing for a prop.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was thinking supersonic sucker punch.
Yeah, or more likely "super fast push" - that kinda happens anyway.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Flash is the Fastest Man Alive and Superman isn't a man.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FreudianSlippers posted:

Flash is the Fastest Man Alive and Superman isn't a man.

Next you'll be claiming he isnt super.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Batman’s always like “I’m Batman” but how does he know?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Why does Howard knows that he is fact, part of the story?

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Batman’s always like “I’m Batman” but how does he know?

Because that's what his credit card tells him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Getting away from superhero talk, was digging through our catch-all drawer and found some promotional bookmark for that old 80's fun movie Look Who's Talking. I think it was the first of the "crazy baby fun movies" of the time.

That said, I remember even as a kid being super skivved out about the sequel. yeah, it starts the same as the first one, with the sperm swimming to the egg but do I need to spoiler this? Anyway, in the first movie, makes sense that Bruce Willis voices the sperm, because he becomes the kid. But for some loving creepy reason in the sequel, the girl is the egg, and the sperm are all male voiced. So when the sperm get there, it take on a super rapey scene with the girl-voice screaming No and the sperm-male-voice being super loving gross about it all.

Now looking back on it, this was also about the time I was getting sex ed, so maybe it caused a little extra WTFness, but who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to start a family funny movie about talking babies with inferred rape?

edit: I just saw on Facebook it is a loving 10 year anniversary of Game of Thrones. I can't believe it's been that long. So what was your jumpship moment for that series, where you went gently caress it, I am Out?

For me it was season 5 with the horrible Sand Snakes, the Dorne plot that had no point, oh, and Sansa and Ramsey because of course it makes total sense Littlefinger would just give her over to a psycho.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Apr 10, 2021