Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Also, due to my limited knowledge of Japanese, I gave joker two last names XD

(I named him kitano kurase)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
What should I vote for in the poll? I can't decide.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Chieves posted:

I like the awkward teenage years that are the middle evolutions. Except Quilladan. Sorry my dude.

Every Pokémon is cute and/or cute in their own way but I must admit Quilladin is probably the least cute/cool of all my friends. At least Chespin is aggressively adorable though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Propaganda Hour posted:

same as every other month, wait for a joke option to get edited in

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

sounds like someone didnt vote for option 4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've successfully convinced a friend of mine to play sonic chronicles :)

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My computer died a couple dies ago, so I've been playing the few PS4 games I have, and I realized 2 things:

Kingdom Hearts 1 still has the best plot and atmosphere of the Kingdom Hearts games, but man, gently caress the combat system. The lack of animation canceling makes it feel super rigid, and I'm definitely not a fan.

I've also been replaying Final Fantasy XII: TZA and it's definitely my favorite FF still. The amount of secrets and extra content is staggering, and the localization is ridiculously fun. Plus, with the remaster allowing so many broken things, you kind of get to "choose your own difficulty" so to speak, and I think that's one of the best approaches to balance I've seen in RPGs.

Like, yeah, you can use Limit Breaks to trivialize a boss 30 levels before it's suggested, but try out various items and debuffs too--they might work!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like going up against hunt targets and optional Espers way earlier than you're "supposed" to in FFXII. The game gives you the tools to pull it off in most cases but it makes you actually have to pay attention to buffs, debuffs, ailments, and actual good gambit setups to succeed, and that rules.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Previously on Persona 5 Strikers:

My "New Game +" recipe run continues with revisiting Sapporo ramen, which is miso-based.

Getting closer, the additions this time: sauteed corn topping, daikon sprouts, and the traditional pat of butter for artery-clogging richness. Kimchi for the red, parsley and cilantro for the green (I have somehow almost used up the two big bunches I bought a while ago lol)

I hadn't thought much of corn as a topping (even though I know there's usually a couple of kernels in Cup Noodles) but it is really nice when slurping up the soup, the mouthfeel (along with the butter which always improves it lol) was excellent

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Blue Labrador posted:

My computer died a couple dies ago, so I've been playing the few PS4 games I have, and I realized 2 things:

Kingdom Hearts 1

Final Fantasy XII: TZA

I downloaded a difficulty mod for FFXII which sounded really fun because it really rewards you for knowing a ton about the game, but the first like 4 hours of the game are very boring and I've played it like seven times so I keep very very slowly trudging through it

I also tried playing KH1 a few months ago now and ended up stopping because yeah the combat system is really rigid and not good. No animation cancelling, they wait FOREVER before giving you dodge roll, and on the highest difficulty I was constantly dying from enemies off-screen because every enemy in the game has some sort of lunge attack

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My favorite Kingdom Hearts game is the first one, “Kingdom Hearts 2”

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

wuggles posted:

My favorite Kingdom Hearts game is the first one, “Kingdom Hearts 2”

The title card "Kingdom Hearts 2.9" is one of Gaming's All-Time Moments

Edit: Apologies it was "Kingdom Hearts II.9"

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I downloaded a difficulty mod for FFXII which sounded really fun because it really rewards you for knowing a ton about the game, but the first like 4 hours of the game are very boring and I've played it like seven times so I keep very very slowly trudging through it

I also tried playing KH1 a few months ago now and ended up stopping because yeah the combat system is really rigid and not good. No animation cancelling, they wait FOREVER before giving you dodge roll, and on the highest difficulty I was constantly dying from enemies off-screen because every enemy in the game has some sort of lunge attack

This echoes my experience to a scary degree.

I decided to skip to Deep Jungle in KH1 because I'm a Big Dick Gamer (TM) and literally everything two-shot me. The monkeys were rough, but doable, but Clayton no-scoped me like twenty times before I was able to beat that boss (the eye lasers and not being able to block them didn't help). Not having Roll and Guard as starting abilities should be criminal; that's very dated design.

And were you using the Fight for Freedom mod? I was planning on starting over and trying that out when my new PC parts arrived next week. The early game's that bad, huh? Was that 4 hours of Vaan only, or are you talking about the whole early-game section that includes the cloud city?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Blue Labrador posted:

And were you using the Fight for Freedom mod? I was planning on starting over and trying that out when my new PC parts arrived next week. The early game's that bad, huh? Was that 4 hours of Vaan only, or are you talking about the whole early-game section that includes the cloud city?

Yeah it's Fight for Freedom, and I don't mean the mod difficulty I just mean the base game. I've played through the first couple hours of FF12 like a million times on emulator because I keep thinking I'm gonna replay it, but the beginning portion is just so boring I always stop. It's kind of like how I think about playing Radiata Stories a lot but the very long six-hour intro makes me not want to because it's a long tutorial zone where you don't have any of the cool stuff yet. FF12 basically doesn't even start until Raithwall Tomb, so all the stuff before that where you barely have a license grid and no gambit slots or items all sucks

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah that was a really solid and unusually self aware bit

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

wuggles posted:

Yeah that was a really solid and unusually self aware bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzfPcSysAg

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Rarity posted:

And that's how it's done :smug:

Congratulations! I'm pretty sure you completed this faster than I did in the last bingo round, so perhaps... it is time for the Bingo Crown to be passed along.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

New Super Metis posted:

Congratulations! I'm pretty sure you completed this faster than I did in the last bingo round, so perhaps... it is time for the Bingo Crown to be passed along.

You're gonna do a Cady Heron and break it in half :hai:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
FYI FAK, I went back and loaded my DS2 save (even though I am desperate to return to DS3) and found the Frigid Outskirts.

Happy I did not continue with that. What a weird old mess and those Reindeer are horrendous to try to fight. I also do not mind that I missed any of the coop bosses seeing as I had technically done them in the main game. Perhaps if they had been unique I might have made the effort to finish them off but for now I am happy to have seen of the game what I have.

Speaking of DS3 the new weapon arts stuff is really interesting. I made all my flasks estus because of my inability to remember to heal so I have no ashen estus but that works for me as occasional Streets of Rage esque power moves :)

I am still trying to think of a game to play inbetween DS3 sessions that fits this bingo square: "Try a genre of a game you don't usually play'.

Anyone have any ideas?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

FYI FAK, I went back and loaded my DS2 save (even though I am desperate to return to DS3) and found the Frigid Outskirts.

Happy I did not continue with that. What a weird old mess and those Reindeer are horrendous to try to fight.

Yeah, I really don't get how they designed that and thought "this is fine."

VideoGames posted:

I am still trying to think of a game to play inbetween DS3 sessions that fits this bingo square: "Try a genre of a game you don't usually play'.

Anyone have any ideas?

Did you ever play open sorcery? If not, you could try that, I doubt you play a ton of twine text adventure games

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

VideoGames posted:

Speaking of DS3 the new weapon arts stuff is really interesting. I made all my flasks estus because of my inability to remember to heal so I have no ashen estus but that works for me as occasional Streets of Rage esque power moves :)

I'll be honest, I feel the chance to FP in DS3 is one of the worst changes they made.

In DS1/2 my first run would start out with sword & shield, then splash out a bit into magic while I figure out what I want to end up as (usually full caster).

To do that, you just need around 12 ATN for two spell slots, then a bit of INT. 16 INT gets you a ton of offensive and utility options and doesn't need that much investment. Even if you just use them to draw aggro, 30 Soul Arrows (or even 60 if I wanted to double up) every time you hit a bonfire goes a long way.

DS3? You need 14 ATN for two slots, and that nets you 114 FP. Soul Arrow costs 7 a pop, and weapon arts also use it, so you get significantly fewer casts. Then Ashen Estus means cutting into your normal Estus, so now you have less healing with no consumables like DS2 to make up the difference.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Anyone have any ideas?

The Secret of Monkey Island
Super Monkey Ball
Timesplitters 2 (features monkeys)

edit: also have you played Pony Island?

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 8, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Anyone have any ideas?

You said you'd play Danganronpa months ago and I bet you don't play many visual novels

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Any word on video games yet?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The world is video games are good

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Just beat the "final boss" of MH Rise, was carried pretty hard through high rank by random Japanese players mainly haha. This game is good and I'm excited to practice new weapons and keep grinding out stuff :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Did you ever play open sorcery? If not, you could try that, I doubt you play a ton of twine text adventure games

Good idea! I do not! :D

BisbyWorl posted:

DS3? You need 14 ATN for two slots, and that nets you 114 FP. Soul Arrow costs 7 a pop, and weapon arts also use it, so you get significantly fewer casts. Then Ashen Estus means cutting into your normal Estus, so now you have less healing with no consumables like DS2 to make up the difference.

Thank you for this, my playstyle means I would never come across it. (I barely ever touched spells in 1 and 2 and much like those, I probably will not be in 3 either.) DS3 definitely seems attuned to me as a player so I am one of the very lucky ones.

Convex posted:

The Secret of Monkey Island
Super Monkey Ball
Timesplitters 2 (features monkeys)

edit: also have you played Pony Island?

Completed Monkey Island 1 2 and 3.
Not played super monkey ball but do not own a gamecube.
Played and completed every timesplitters there is and would LOVE the series to return.

I have started Pony Island but not finished it :)

Rarity posted:

You said you'd play Danganronpa months ago and I bet you don't play many visual novels

That is the best suggestion because I actually did start it and am currently at the point where I am in the lunchroom and some mechanics are being explained to me and I do not play many visual novels at all! :D

OK. Open Sorcery and Danganronpa. Fantastic. Thank you everyone!

Call Your Grandma posted:

Any word on video games yet?

Bird is the word.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Not played super monkey ball but do not own a gamecube.

Good thing a console is no longer necessary! https://dolphin-emu.org/download/ Grab the latest x64 version from here :)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Propaganda Hour posted:

boycott any poll that don't have our lady and savior, Bowsette

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did either rarity and the other person (razzledazzle maybe?) who was playing DR at around the same time get to DR3

It seemed like they both stopped before playing the best one??!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I stalled out on Trial 5 of SDR2 cause I went back to console gaming :negative:

VG start streaming your Danganronpa time so I can watch your reactions tia

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

I'll be honest, I feel the chance to FP in DS3 is one of the worst changes they made.

In DS1/2 my first run would start out with sword & shield, then splash out a bit into magic while I figure out what I want to end up as (usually full caster).

To do that, you just need around 12 ATN for two spell slots, then a bit of INT. 16 INT gets you a ton of offensive and utility options and doesn't need that much investment. Even if you just use them to draw aggro, 30 Soul Arrows (or even 60 if I wanted to double up) every time you hit a bonfire goes a long way.

Tbf I think at least in theory that being able to snipe enemies with ranged attacks that hit a usually garbo stat is meant to offset having less Sunny D to chug but umm, yeah, having to choose between HP/MP healing doesn’t really feel good at all. I have I think 9 estus total for my pyromancer (cause I hate myself) but it still feels bad knowing I could just have gone melee and torn poo poo up with a basic bitch long sword and just had 8/1 instead of 6/3. They really should have had separate Estus/Ashen Estus Shards to find with maybe two fluid ones that you can change at Andre’s.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I stalled out on Trial 5 of SDR2 cause I went back to console gaming :negative:

VG start streaming your Danganronpa time so I can watch your reactions tia

Hahaha I have to say that does intrigue me quite considerably. I am not sure I could make a visual novel stream interesting so the story might be so wild it would have me all over the place.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't have a tier list on my bingo card but I liked seeing this one

The Dancing tier is missing both Annette Dominic and A-Set. Fail.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

Also, due to my limited knowledge of Japanese, I gave joker two last names XD

(I named him kitano kurase)

Playing Persona 4 Golden, I looked up the "canon" name because I have no idea how Japanese names work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Streets of Rage 4 DLC announced baby!

The fight continues in Wood Oak City.

After the events of Streets of Rage 4, our heroes wanted to prepare themselves for future threats. Axel, Blaze and their mates will start a very special deranged training with the help of Dr. Zan, who built an AI program from the remnants of Mister X’s brain that simulates every kind of danger they could be facing.

With this new DLC, get ready for:

• 3 new playable characters
• A new Survival mode with weekly challenges
• Character customization: build your own fighting style with new moves
• New weapons and enemies!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Streets of Rage 4 DLC announced baby!

The fight continues in Wood Oak City.

:toot:

bovis posted:

Just beat the "final boss" of MH Rise, was carried pretty hard through high rank by random Japanese players mainly haha. This game is good and I'm excited to practice new weapons and keep grinding out stuff :D

Congrats! I hit 6* Mitzusune like it was a brick wall last night and got real tilted. Maybe I should look into this “getting carried”

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wuggles posted:

Congrats! I hit 6* Mitzusune like it was a brick wall last night and got real tilted. Maybe I should look into this “getting carried”

Consider instead: get good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Walla posted:

Playing Persona 4 Golden, I looked up the "canon" name because I have no idea how Japanese names work.

I always tend to pick "canon" names when they're available, not really sure why.

Persona 4's protagonist being Yu Narukami is surprisingly uncontroversial given that there are ongoing fandom arguments about the canon names for the P3 and P5 protagonists. What always happens is that they get named in a manga adaptation, and then later the anime adaptation gives them a different name and that's the one Atlus uses in spin-offs, but then fans get mad and argue about which one is the "real" name.

wuggles posted:

I did most of the urgent hub quests in multiplayer and I don't regret it. Questionable whether that means I was "carried" or not but I like to think I contributed via KOs and :toot:ing out buffs.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

I always tend to pick "canon" names when they're available, not really sure why.

Persona 4's protagonist being Yu Narukami is surprisingly uncontroversial given that there are ongoing fandom arguments about the canon names for the P3 and P5 protagonists. What always happens is that they get named in a manga adaptation, and then later the anime adaptation gives them a different name and that's the one Atlus uses in spin-offs, but then fans get mad and argue about which one is the "real" name.

The funniest part about Persona Q is that you can't use Narukami as a name, as it has a 6 character limit.