Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've installed a fast travel mod because gently caress relying on teleportation scrolls and myrad towers. I fully expect this to gently caress up my game due to how many scripts are running in enderal though

Where did you get that mod?
I can't play games like this without some sort of inventory expanding mod.

e: oh nm. Nexus has a whole Enderal section.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bioware has put out a pretty big list breaking down the changes for the Mass Effect Trilogy remaster:

Full article

Most of the work was done on ME1, as expected.

Some highlights:
You can sprint out of combat in ME1
Dedicated melee button in ME1
You can ADS with all weapons in ME1, even the ones you're not trained on. So snipers aren't useless on non-sniper classes.
Items can be flagged as junk to sell or breakdown, inventory sorting in ME1
XP rebalanced in ME1, no level 50 cap on the first playthrough. No XP penalty in the Mako, so no need to jump out for the last shot to get full XP.
Mako is heavier and less floaty (but you can still climb mountains like a motherfucker), now has a boost.
Character creator unified across the trilogy, additional options, face codes in ME1
Achievements reworked, new achievements, progress for some achievements now carries over across all three games (e.g. Kill 250 enemies across all games)
DLC weapons and armour is now better integrated, available from shops rather than just being dumped in your inventory when you start the game
Galaxy at War rebalanced in ME3, score isn't boosted by playing multiplayer since that's not in the collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-7-2dL0A0

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Fruits of the sea posted:

Not sure why anybody was expecting anything different this time around.

The Missing seems like a fair reason to expect anything different in this regard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

Bioware has put out a pretty big list breaking down the changes for the Mass Effect Trilogy remaster:

Full article

Most of the work was done on ME1, as expected.

Some highlights:
You can sprint out of combat in ME1
Dedicated melee button in ME1
You can ADS with all weapons in ME1, even the ones you're not trained on. So snipers aren't useless on non-sniper classes.
Items can be flagged as junk to sell or breakdown, inventory sorting in ME1
XP rebalanced in ME1, no level 50 cap on the first playthrough. No XP penalty in the Mako, so no need to jump out for the last shot to get full XP.
Mako is heavier and less floaty (but you can still climb mountains like a motherfucker), now has a boost.
Character creator unified across the trilogy, additional options, face codes in ME1
Achievements reworked, new achievements, progress for some achievements now carries over across all three games (e.g. Kill 250 enemies across all games)
DLC weapons and armour is now better integrated, available from shops rather than just being dumped in your inventory when you start the game
Galaxy at War rebalanced in ME3, score isn't boosted by playing multiplayer since that's not in the collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-7-2dL0A0

I am unironically excited for the remaster. I’ve tried replaying ME1 a few times in the last few years but the lack of controller support has been killing it for me lately.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nuramor posted:

Wouldn't a "no neuromods at all" run be even more miserable?

I wouldn't call it miserable. I did the no neuromods run and it felt like playing a proper survival horror game rather than whatever vanilla Prey actually is (it kind of starts out as survival horror but rapidly stops being that)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 8, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I would like a "skip all the tedious timesink poo poo in each game" button

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Veotax posted:

XP penalty in the Mako
Buh? That was a thing?

Seems like a pretty sensible list of improvements to be honest.

thark posted:

The Missing seems like a fair reason to expect anything different in this regard.

I'll take your word on it, never heard of it before now. I watched the trailer on steam and it looks like me, attempting to play a platformer. Just constantly running into obvious deathtraps.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would like a "skip all the tedious timesink poo poo in each game" button

probe launched

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
The gently caress kind of western RPGs are there without timesinks

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Buh? That was a thing?

Seems like a pretty sensible list of improvements to be honest.

I guess it was to stop you from "cheesing fights" or something. Killing a Geth Colossus is easier in a tank than on foot, so you get less XP.

But you got around that by doing most of the damage in the Mako and then landing the killing blow on foot, which got you full XP.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Or just killing everything in the Mako cause for all of ME1's good parts and flawed parts at no point is it a hard game.

E: Granted I have not played it on the further difficulties but I also don't know why on earth you would play an RPG-Shooter on "Make fights take ten minutes" difficulties so maybe it's not a me thing. :shrug:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ME1 is an extremely hard game for a few hours if you’re playing on the hardest difficulty (and you’re pumping paragon/renegade at every opportunity).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

good changes but that series reduced itself to being a multiplayer-only game for me and nothing could make me care about its singleplayer again other than completely redoing much of mass effect 3. I would have absolutely jumped on it if it had remastered ME3 multiplayer to have a full-sized community again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I am unironically excited for the remaster. I’ve tried replaying ME1 a few times in the last few years but the lack of controller support has been killing it for me lately.

I legit just came to post this.

I’m super excited for that alone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm just excited to hang out with my favourite Mass Effect character, that one elcor whose name I forget who calls his little friend 'Din' in the most fondly exasperated way. I like them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Quill posted:

The atmosphere is spot on. I just finished my first playthrough last week and fully intend to have another go. It's a really great experience. I also started the Mooncrash DLC and while it's very different from the core game, they made some clever design decisions to engage the player.

Yea, when I say its scary as hell that is a compliment. I'm not scared easily by things that aren't real. I really should be going back, maybe someday. I just know my brother is at fault for everything and I wanna space his rear end.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Azran posted:

So, uh, is there a thread or something where I can find goons willing to set up some Paypal to Steam wallet exchanges? My regional store doesn't take Paypal but I think I can be sent digital gift cards through Steam. Main reason is that any purchases I make through credit card are 64% more expensive than the listed price due to Argentina being Argentina.

By the way, a goon helped me test this out and it went great! Even with the Paypal transfer fee, I saved quite a bit of money than if I'd just sent it to my bank account.
The process was the following: I sent him €25 (plus enough to cover the fee) and he sent me a €25 digital gift card through Steam, which got converted to ARS without any issues (and at the best exchange rate possible for me). Since Steam Wallet money isn't subject to the 64% fee on all credit card purchases, it's the best possible result for me. If anyone wants to help me transfer the rest through the process outlined above, let me know!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm one of those annoying "#1 was the best Mass Effect" people so it's unfortunate that they're gonna be changing it so much, but I can also just play Mass Effect 1 when I want to, so I hope this helps make it more accessible to people so they can agree with me that it was the best one.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CarlCX posted:

I'm one of those annoying "#1 was the best Mass Effect" people

You're not alone. History will prove us right!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
GRIP: Combat Racing: 93PJ4-VV4IR-BX?6G - what's the letter after the penultimate letter of the alphabet?
PACER: 5C4Q0-7ZTVB-??XN0 - what gaming platform are you playing these games on?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

I, Butthole posted:

PACER: 5C4Q0-7ZTVB-??XN0 - what gaming platform are you playing these games on?
Snagged this, thanks!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I know Hades was very well received, but after playing it for a couple dozen hours I just want to say I'm extremely impressed with how good it is. Sound design, gameplay variety, the amount of reactive dialogue, all the different conversations that appear whenever you return to the House, the voice acting :allears: I love how characters will even react to new decoration being placed near them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Azran posted:

I know Hades was very well received, but after playing it for a couple dozen hours I just want to say I'm extremely impressed with how good it is. Sound design, gameplay variety, the amount of reactive dialogue, all the different conversations that appear whenever you return to the House, the voice acting :allears: I love how characters will even react to new decoration being placed near them.

Yeah they absolutely knocked it out of the park with it.

I really enjoyed the NoClip documentary about the game as well.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Kibayasu posted:

ME1 is an extremely hard game for a few hours if you’re playing on the hardest difficulty (and you’re pumping paragon/renegade at every opportunity).

If you're willing to do multiple playthroughs with the same character, you can max paragon/renegade skills without ever putting a point into them. You can get 4 free points in either per playthrough. Possibly 5, 4 in 1 and 1 in the other.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

CarlCX posted:

I'm one of those annoying "#1 was the best Mass Effect" people so it's unfortunate that they're gonna be changing it so much, but I can also just play Mass Effect 1 when I want to, so I hope this helps make it more accessible to people so they can agree with me that it was the best one.

Propaganda Hour posted:

You're not alone. History will prove us right!

ME1 is the best one, and it's not even close.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah they absolutely knocked it out of the park with it.

I really enjoyed the NoClip documentary about the game as well.

Oh, I'd no idea NoClip had made a video on Hades. :allears: Unrelated to that, I checked who the voice actors were and Zagreus is voiced by the composer? Talk about talented, jeez.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Aw man, I finally get my severance and i missed the Evil Genius 2 sale.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Kins posted:

Thunderful Group's Annual Report lists a Steam version of Deadly Premonition 2 as being part of their publishing slate.

Having played it on the Switch I'll say it's a sequel for hardcore fans only. If you really really REALLY enjoyed the first game's silly dialogues then it has those in spades (and York is as big of a goofball as before) but the gameplay is somehow even more tedious and dated than in the original. The game world feels emptier too, the controls are clunkier and I thought even its graphical style and especially character animations were worse somehow. It will be very badly reviewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOvygrl7vw&t=305s

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 8, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

First off, I'm amazed that the base game got anywhere close to positive reviews if this is the enhanced edition. It's got elements that were outdated in 2004 much less a decade later for PC rpgs. It draws from the 90s school of hard games where you have to slowly scroll your mouse along the walls hoping to find a switch or a button because the alt key won't light it up. Because of the 3/4 camera you'll need to be rotating it constantly as switches, buttons, and quest essential items will be blocks by the scenery.

The game design overall isn't bad, it's just geared to the kinds of people who get angry that Elder Scrolls games now have quest markers instead of the good old days when NPCs would give you vague directions and you had to explore. Aside from a few moments of extremely bad design where you can understand the intent behind it but it still makes for extremely tedious gamplay, it's a pretty good game.

The story and writing is pretty basic, nothing exciting or engaging but it serves as a perfectly reasonable vehicle to drive the plot forward and push you as the player to investigate and dig into the main and side quests. There's a definite sense that they aren't taking it super seriously, so there's a lot of light-hearted humor without being too zany or wacky. All the conversation lines are voiced, and there's even a lot of ambient background lines you'll hear from NPCs as you walk around. Not even quest related, just villagers going about their day.

The character leveling system is okay, pretty simple to understand how stats and skills work and if you mouse over it'll explain what each does. Here's where it takes a massive dive in accessibility. In order to learn new spells/combat skills, you have to find or buy the skillbooks you need. There's a few vendors you can find early on that may have what you need, but the store inventories are rng, so if you need a skillbook and can't find it, you have to wait some hours in real time until the merchant resets. Starting out it was so completely new to me, and there's no real explanation that it works that way, you can end up in a dead end state pretty fast if you aren't tearing through every location talking to any named NPC and checking their inventory (also, every npc you talk to can buy/sell stuff).

The map and world design ends up working really nice if you have a walk-through to guide you where to go, especially early on. The first map is set from levels 2-7 I think, and a 1 level difference early on is a huge hurdle to get past. If you try to explore randomly when you find a new area you're more likely to encounter higher level enemies that can wreck you, and stealth is pretty boring as a whole in this game.

Crafting is kind of a big thing, and seems like a lot of back and forth shuffling around items onto different characters, having to travel to specific locations to use forges, whetstones, etc. for the recipes. It's probably a pretty easy way to break the game, as I dug into it only slightly and was quickly overwhelmed by it. It doesn't help that the UI makes it really hard to sort and organized everything in the same 1x1 size inventory boxes and you can't read the names until you mouse over to check. Just from making magic arrows and grenades alone I'd bet it's worth all the time it takes to get it to that point.

So, all that aside, why would anyone like or enjoy this game?

Combat.

Larian has essentially perfected turn based RPG style combat for video games. The complaints I had about having to figure out and find skills is because the combat is so good that not having the max number of skills you can acquire feels like playing an incomplete game. You can drop oil slicks, water puddles, poison clouds, electrified steam clouds, etc. to take control of the battlefield. The same ground/air effects using have more utility then just their obvious effects, like shooting fire into a poison cloud to make it explode, or dropping water on burning ground to create steam so archers and mages lose visibility. All that versatility is a mix of battlefield surroundings, spells, magical arrows, and magical grenades that can all work interchangably to create those effects and synergies. An archer can use piercing attacks to make an enemy bleed all over the area, making a blood puddle, then a mage can cast shock on the puddle and electrify it to stun everyone standing nearby.

There are regular damage dealing spells, melee warriors who can chunk trolls into goo, high dps duel wield stuff as well. It's got an amazing amount of flexibility overall, and I could probably hit the text limit for a post before I finish going over all of it.

All together, its a decent if mostly obtuse and poorly guided game-play experience. Everything that isn't about leading to more combat is just kind of there, and is at best inoffensive and straightforward. Most of the time its ending up in a basement or a cave and knowing there must be something else in the area to do and having to zoom in and scour the map for a button on the wall or something.

It's like a proof of concept tech demo made into an entire game. The game exists to show off the combat system and prove that Larian can make games like it. I know from reviews that D:OS was more of a 7/10 game when it came out, and D:OS 2 was pretty universally a 10/10 game. I'd say if you don't have either, ignore the first one and go straight to the second. If you own both, check out D:OS until you get bored and then move to the sequel. It's a pretty long game, ~45 hours, and that's with a walkthrough guide me every step of the way so I wasn't randomly exploring or getting lost.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

For what it's worth.... Evil Genius 2 is actually pretty good. The only annoyance is you can only have one active side-story at a time, but the general game loop is a lot of fun, especially if you liked the original.

My favourite fix from the original is you no longer NEED a higher minion to train the lower type up, they can just use a training machine on their own. No more hunting on the world map for fresh Mercenaries or Guards after a Super Agent visit gets them all killed.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

twistedmentat posted:

Looks like it is still -23% ($31) off at greenmangaming, for me at least.

Estel
May 4, 2010

pentyne posted:

Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

First off, I'm amazed that the base game got anywhere close to positive reviews if this is the enhanced edition.

If someone liked old-style rpgs the only alternative to D:OS was the enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate that were released the year before. So it was a new game in a "dead" genre and the combat was something new and interesting.

D:OS is not a bad game but part of the positive reviews is dependent on when the game was released.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Estel posted:

If someone liked old-style rpgs the only alternative to D:OS was the enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate that were released the year before. So it was a new game in a "dead" genre and the combat was something new and interesting.

D:OS is not a bad game but part of the positive reviews is dependent on when the game was released.

It’s like how XCom The Bureau isn’t a bad game, but the well was completely poisoned when they revealed it as the new XCom and everyone thought that the franchise was going to be killed forever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s like how XCom The Bureau isn’t a bad game

Objection, your honor.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Objection, your honor.

It’s not great but it does what it sets out to do fine and has some good moments like when it turns out the main character is some guy that you’re mind controlling.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Granted that is a fun thing but getting there just, isn't great.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's not outright bad, it's mediocre verging upon ok up until the ending. It's no Enforcer.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I played half of the bureau on hard and at a certain point all the enemies become terrible bullet sponges who can down your guys in two to three hits. I stopped playing after redoing a mission a dozen times or something.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Azran posted:

Oh, I'd no idea NoClip had made a video on Hades. :allears: Unrelated to that, I checked who the voice actors were and Zagreus is voiced by the composer? Talk about talented, jeez.

For real whiplash, he also sings orpheus and voices skelly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Estel posted:

It feels like the latest D&D editions and CRPGs are a lot more liberal with viable exotic races beyond elf-dwarf-halfling, exotic classes beyond fighter-thief-cleric and various terrain \ elevation \ crowd control stuff to make combat more interesting. I feel like there's a major evolution beyond the old BG paradigm (which wasn't necessarily the case even in the early 2010's, when a lot of CRGP's were basically regurgitating the "classics")