Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

There also seems to be some fans who feel like they weren’t transparent enough about where the money was going last time. I think those people probably greatly underestimate how much both tv shows and the physical merchandise cost to produce though.

Based on the frequent posts of a couple critics in an MST message board I peek at from time to time, I think you're spot on. A subgroup of people massively ignorant of the conditions under which TV is produced are convinced that Joel, on his own, is doing a lot of impractical artsy-fartsy stuff and insisting on higher production values instead of the bare-bones original show. Complaints about having all the extra puppeteers, for example, or not just having the three main performers with the puppets in the theater.

I also suspect that they don't understand other basic things like that the new MST3K is union, where the original cowtown show was not. But from the tone and content of their posts, somehow I don't think they'd be very open to the idea that paying people a fair amount for the work that they do is something to praise instead of condemning.

All the "Making of" features focused on crafting and pre-production and all the standard stuff that involves spending money on developing what goes onto the screen, and I expect that made these people angrier because why were they doing multiple concept drawings and models of stuff instead of just making it all? drat that Joel and his willingness to waste money; he's out of control without Jim Mallon to keep him in line.

I am wondering whether there's going to be a "live riff" option in their app that allows you to remote with friends to watch a bad movie from Shout, without the MST treatment, and riff on it yourselves. I'd rather do that in person, but as the last year has shown, that's not always possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Junkie Disease posted:

I'll gladly pay mst3k monthly over Netflix

For me I think it will depend on the ongoing live content. The pandemic has made me more than willing to drop money on monthly events (such as The Mads) so I could see giving them a monthly fee for a regular “live” hosted episode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

I've been trying to get my partner to watch Avalanche with me. She can't stand MST3K but loves 70s chic. No dice so far.

But Avalanche is a perfect episode if you do! It's competent! It's not good, but competent. And as mentioned extremely 70's.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

What can help, too, is that Rifftrax didn't have their annual Kickstarter this year, and Joel has our undivided attention and wallet access.

... maybe that's why they didn't have it :tinfoil:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Narsham posted:

Based on the frequent posts of a couple critics in an MST message board I peek at from time to time, I think you're spot on. A subgroup of people massively ignorant of the conditions under which TV is produced are convinced that Joel, on his own, is doing a lot of impractical artsy-fartsy stuff and insisting on higher production values instead of the bare-bones original show. Complaints about having all the extra puppeteers, for example, or not just having the three main performers with the puppets in the theater.

They also seem to be under the impression that the old show having low production values was a deliberate choice, but when you read or listen to interviews with the old crew it becomes clear that they were absolutely doing the best they could on an almost non-existent budget. If they could’ve made the show look better they would have. The Netflix shows weren’t perfect, but I think they did a great job of managing higher production values without losing the show’s low budget charm.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Also just a bit rich lecturing Joel Hodgson about the ethos of MST3K.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

fsif posted:

I HATE JOEL HODGSON'S SPENDTHRIFT WAYS in 1096-point font.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fsif posted:

I HATE JOEL HODGSON'S NEW EPISODES

edit: of course I'm beaten to this joke

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

An interview with Joel about the kickstarter.

https://tv.avclub.com/exclusive-joel-hodgson-says-it-s-time-to-makemoremst3-1846634073

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Give me my snow globe Daddy Joel

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I get chills from this every time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That excellent video reminds me of what a good job they did of making Felicia Day seem not pregnant. I remember that she had a kid right after shooting ended, and I wondered how that was going to turn out--I guess the right lenses and lighting can do a lot to make a person's head look narrow.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I love this video so much.

On the other hand I'm not gonna pay yet another monthly subscription, especially if it means I have to use an app. I might wait and see if there's going to be an option to just buy episodes. Or get a DVD like some kind of dinosaur.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

HopperUK posted:

I love this video so much.

On the other hand I'm not gonna pay yet another monthly subscription, especially if it means I have to use an app. I might wait and see if there's going to be an option to just buy episodes. Or get a DVD like some kind of dinosaur.

The $100 tier includes downloads of all the episodes, so I assume it will be an option at some point.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I had a dream about this last night after the discussion started here, and at one point I call to my dad--fellow MSTie--in the next room, saying, "Good news! They got Ben Affleck to come back to the show!" Then, "Well, okay, I guess just 'news.'"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Currently at $1.5 million with over 7k backers. So we're definitely getting at least three more episodes. :v:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I want those shorts.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Narsham posted:

Based on the frequent posts of a couple critics in an MST message board I peek at from time to time, I think you're spot on. A subgroup of people massively ignorant of the conditions under which TV is produced are convinced that Joel, on his own, is doing a lot of impractical artsy-fartsy stuff and insisting on higher production values instead of the bare-bones original show.

These takes are such a bummer. The new series isn’t a slam dunk but it’s clearly the result of a bunch of super creative people who are all excited to make new MST3K. That their excitement doesn’t match up with what a guy on the internet might want is just sort of how it goes, but now people get real upset about it when someone doesn’t make something exactly the way they wish they could make it if they were capable of making it.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 8, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If they wanted to know what Jim Mallon would have done with the property for a revival unencumbered by Joel's artsy-fartsy tendencies, they just have to google up those flash cartoons of Tom Servo from 2011.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If they wanted to know what Jim Mallon would have done with the property for a revival unencumbered by Joel's artsy-fartsy tendencies, they just have to google up those flash cartoons of Tom Servo from 2011.

Those felt like when a studio has to make a movie using a comic book property they have before a certain date just so they can keep the license.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ja2ke posted:

Those felt like when a studio has to make a movie using a comic book property they have before a certain date just so they can keep the license.

but corman's fantastic four is actually semi-decent?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TL posted:

That does sound great, I'm in.

This is going to sound insane, but the complete lack of any comprehensible story actually gives it this weird tension that makes it genuinely uncomfortable to watch, in a good way.

There's just this Weird poo poo going down and these poor people have no loving idea what to do about it.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My apologies, no offense meant to the Corman Fantastic Four.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ja2ke posted:

My apologies, no offense meant to the Corman Fantastic Four.

The only Fantastic Four movie that reaches the lofty heights of "almost OK"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PostNouveau posted:

The only Fantastic Four movie that reaches the lofty heights of "almost OK"

it's been thoroughly cormanized

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

oh poo poo... sounds as though Oswalt and Day are returning

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 8, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The add-ons built in to the pledges is really helpful. Added the Blu-ray box set to a $100 pledge. The music box snow globe was kind of tempting but not $170 tempting.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of hoping this meets all the stretch goals not just for the sake of 12 episodes, but also so that we get new shorts. The shorts that have already been riffed provide some pretty great jokes, I wanna see what they can do with more.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm happy with the Gizmoplex idea. Mostly because I live in Germany and without a VPN it was impossible to watch any of the new (or old) episodes. I'm also just generally excited to see anyone trying to step out from under the shadow of big streaming services.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Already at $1.72mil, likely to hit $2mil by 8 hours from now. If so, it will have reached in 24 full hours what the prior crowdfund attempt took a full week to reach

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh, not sure if anyone posted amid all the excitement, but Bill Corbett's COVID test came back negative according to his twitter so he can get vaccinated after all. On the off-chance anyone was concerned about that. Hooray.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

imagining the last minute recording session to replace Har Mar Superstar's vocals on the theme song

Ha, that was my first thought as well when the news broke. That they need to re-record the theme now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

HopperUK posted:

Oh, not sure if anyone posted amid all the excitement, but Bill Corbett's COVID test came back negative according to his twitter so he can get vaccinated after all. On the off-chance anyone was concerned about that. Hooray.

I'm glad to hear this :unsmith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ja2ke posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Then pretend ja2ke was talking about that bizarre sit-down interview Warren Beatty did as Dick Tracy from 2008.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
In keeping up with the now more-or-less guaranteed 13th season (look at those numbers), the It's Just A Show podcast team has written a thirteen-episode watch-list for MST3K, cherry-picking one episode from every season.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Then pretend ja2ke was talking about that bizarre sit-down interview Warren Beatty did as Dick Tracy from 2008.

Warren Beatty’s Dick Tracy vs Sean Young’s Catwoman, and the movie consists entirely of segments from the Ellen show.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
wait how the gently caress does that list pick Hamlet as the best of season 10

That should be the bottom of season 10 when 10 had boggy creek, future war, and final justice

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

wait how the gently caress does that list pick Hamlet as the best of season 10

That should be the bottom of season 10 when 10 had boggy creek, future war, and final justice

I'm also a bit iffy on Catalina Caper for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dawgstar posted:

I'm also a bit iffy on Catalina Caper for season 2.

Catalina Caper is a fun romp. I've seen it half a dozen times and I'm still surprised when Little Richard shows up every time.