Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Internet Explorer posted:

Like, if you're a packet cop you have to tell me.

But only if the VPN certificate has gold fringe!

Edit: New page content. Because no mention of that dumpster-fire of a business is complete without the actual song written about it:
https://vocaroo.com/1i4oQqcUmveg

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Edit: New page content. Because no mention of that dumpster-fire of a business is complete without the actual song written about it:

Holy poo poo :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

Does your "infosec head" not know about 802.1X?

Not emptyquoting

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OMG I completely forgot about Senior Engineer at the TV station.

I hope larches is doing OK, haven't seen them around in a while.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thank you so much for reposting this gem.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

When my current position pisses me off, I only have to talk to the people who are still working in my previous position to feel a bit better

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For better or worse I have gone from being able to spin up a service account on a whim to test or setup whatever I was working on to needing to fill out a form in servicenow with fields like “business justification “

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

*Drop everything you're doing and come troubleshoot this with me!*

We have door buzzers at the entrance so you can push the button, rings a phone inside, someone answers, you say you are delivering pizza or you're an ambulance or whatever and they can unlock the door so you can come in.

One of them was just making random noises (has been for weeks according to some people). I guess my boss went down there 'to fix it', comes back to the office to get the whole toolkit + cart and me.

Why are you moving wires around on a 66 block and poo poo? What are the odds that it's actually a wiring issue on something nobody ever fucks with? Simplest things first.

I put a test set on the wires after removing the panel, works fine. Re-connect the buzzer and it sort of works, it's full of static and the person can't hear you, but it's not making the techno beeping noises. I would guess the switch is what's actually bad, since it sticks and the speaker/mic might be bad too.

People obviously don't use this since it doesn't work.

Order a replacement, should be here monday to install. I go out to put the cover back on so it's not just a wire in a junction box, guess who misplaced the screws.

And now they want to wire up an old analog phone there until the new one comes back. Again, not a big deal but I've spent almost the whole morning on this.

I like playing with random poo poo like this sometimes, but I don't like working on poo poo that has zero documentation, we can't call the vendor because that would cost money, and then in an hour I'll get "Soooo how's the bitlocker thing going" :raise:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's one way to deal with coil whine.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

Does your "infosec head" not know about 802.1X?

Hell, basic MAC filtering would prevent nearly all of your users from "accidentally" plugging their personal devices in, and the ones it doesn't stop you should probably fire anyways. Tell him it's a honeypot - infosec guys love that poo poo.

Yes. But they would expect us in network to run it, and we don’t have the manpower or time to spin up a .1x system. I’d have to check on the sdwan box is they have Mac filtering, but it’s a solvable solution that doesn’t require ripping everything out because they have a tantrum.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, I've been trying to be the Go-Between to help my grandfather (mid 80s) get his MSN email account unlocked.

It is, seemingly, impossible to talk to a human being in regards to MSN. They have everything centered around the website, and automated systems. Some of it, useless, if you can't actually log into your account.

And just now, after answering every bit of drat information they asked for, have rejected it, once again. And..I...I don't know what the hell they want.

They are taking something that should be fairly loving easy, and making a nightmarish bureaucracy out of it , that would be right at home in Brazil

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Do those accounts still exist? I heard a while ago they were purging them if you didn’t access them in X days.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yeah well, I told them a decade ago to move over to Gmail. I even set him up a gmail account, but the computer is just the email machine, and MSN/Outlook is RIGHT there on the start menu of Windows 10( as an aside, I bloody well hateWindows 10.)

Oh, and the account does/did exist, just that the account was compromised and ended up getting locked, and of course, no one bothered to tell me until it WAS locked

Oh, and the recovery email is set to my grandmothers, which we can't access, and the recovery NUMBER is , of course, the house phone , and the recovery thing TEXTS a code, so , you know, that doesn't work.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah well, I told them a decade ago to move over to Gmail. I even set him up a gmail account, but the computer is just the email machine, and MSN/Outlook is RIGHT there on the start menu of Windows 10( as an aside, I bloody well hateWindows 10.)

Well that’s a bit silly in my opinion. It’s one of the best and most secure operating systems (out of the box anyways). It’s an extraordinary flexible and powerful platform, and the OS as a service model is integral to its continued long term success on billions of devices. But we’re using different methods to judge it.

I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather’s woes. It’s a perfect example of the digital divide and quite clearly shows how solutions tailored for wide audience still leave many people out in the cold. I consistently return to The Distribution of Users’ Computer Skills: Worse Than You Think, which shows exactly what the headline tells you.

Most people here will tell you 2FA is essential and everyone, even your grandparents, should use it. I am inclined to agree. But we need to go to where our audience is, and when you have New York Times articles describing getting a one time SMS 2FA for identity verification for unemployment services as “kafkaesque”, it illustrates quite clearly just how far we in the security industry need to go to meet our audience. All the education in the world can’t help you if you’re not responsive to the needs of the people/customers/users you serve.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Oh and here’s something pissing me off. Death to Daylight Savings Time! Been a month and still biting me in the rear end. I hate computers. And DST.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Iron Rose posted:

Well that’s a bit silly in my opinion. It’s one of the best and most secure operating systems (out of the box anyways). It’s an extraordinary flexible and powerful platform, and the OS as a service model is integral to its continued long term success on billions of devices. But we’re using different methods to judge it.

It very well may be flexible, and powerful, but everytime I have to touch Windows 10, it feels like I have to push through a gaggle of dancing clowns to do what I need to do.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It very well may be flexible, and powerful, but everytime I have to touch Windows 10, it feels like I have to push through a gaggle of dancing clowns to do what I need to do.

Can you give me some insight on what you are trying to say? Is it default start menu that has a lot of widgets that you have a hard time adjusting or ignoring? What are you attempting to do that you end having a hard time doing or just failing to do?

If windows 10 is bad, what is good?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh and here’s something pissing me off. Death to Daylight Savings Time! Been a month and still biting me in the rear end. I hate computers. And DST.

Uhh pretty sure DST is the loving best and we should be on it full time. Sunlight until 830 PM so I can bike for hours after getting off work? Big ol gently caress Yes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Iron Rose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHsd-EU_KKI

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sickening posted:

Can you give me some insight on what you are trying to say? Is it default start menu that has a lot of widgets that you have a hard time adjusting or ignoring? What are you attempting to do that you end having a hard time doing or just failing to do?

In my eyes, Windows 7 Enterprise has been as close to perfection as I've seen.
I despise the whole " Hey, let's be a tablet, BUT ON DESKTOP!" . ......actually, their " Lets be a tablet ON TABLET"! was bad. I had bought my mother a Surface some years ago.

I.. Look, I wasn't intending or trying to make a derail about Win10. I was, and am, a Windows 2000/Win 7 diehard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Johnny Aztec posted:

In my eyes, Windows 7 Enterprise has been as close to perfection as I've seen.
I despise the whole " Hey, let's be a tablet, BUT ON DESKTOP!" . ......actually, their " Lets be a tablet ON TABLET"! was bad. I had bought my mother a Surface some years ago.

I.. Look, I wasn't intending or trying to make a derail about Win10. I was, and am, a Windows 2000/Win 7 diehard.

Those widgets are completely optional and can be removed with a few right clicks. This isn't windows 8, the "tablet" experience isn't even a thing in windows 10 really like I would describe back in 8.

The start menu experience, outside the widgets, is so lightyears ahead in functionality that I can't even begin to go back to 7. I can build a far superior customized start menu. Nothing quite ties together the ability to press the start button on my keyboard and then type for what i want. poo poo is great and you are insane.

And even if you dislike the settings menus (which I am also not a fan of), all of that can be countered by just searching for the control panel and bingo, you are back to using the old power tools the way you previously did.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sickening posted:

Those widgets are completely optional and can be removed with a few right clicks. This isn't windows 8, the "tablet" experience isn't even a thing in windows 10 really like I would describe back in 8.

The start menu experience, outside the widgets, is so lightyears ahead in functionality that I can't even begin to go back to 7. I can build a far superior customized start menu. Nothing quite ties together the ability to press the start button on my keyboard and then type for what i want. poo poo is great and you are insane.

And even if you dislike the settings menus (which I am also not a fan of), all of that can be countered by just searching for the control panel and bingo, you are back to using the old power tools the way you previously did.

Doesn't the god mode from Windows 7 also working Windows 10? That makes the settings a whole lot easier to manage as well if you really want to go that path, for home use.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

xzzy posted:

cyber is the worst word/prefix to have entered use in my lifetime and I hate how it refuses to die.

It always feels like it's non technical people that keep pushing it too, it must sound super serious and scary to them.

there is a major AU infosec firm called CyberCX and it absolutely has to be deliberately named.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Doesn't the god mode from Windows 7 also working Windows 10? That makes the settings a whole lot easier to manage as well if you really want to go that path, for home use.

What exactly do you think “god mode” is or does, out of curiosity?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Uhh pretty sure DST is the loving best and we should be on it full time. Sunlight until 830 PM so I can bike for hours after getting off work? Big ol gently caress Yes.

I just want multi continent PagerDuty schedules that aren’t out of balance 12% of the year

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Sickening posted:

Windows 7 had type-and-search in its Start Menu as well. The key differentiator is the the one in Windows 7 actually worked.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Win2000 and Win7 were great, Win10 is functional as a platform for Steam games and that's about it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

Yeah. If you have a problem with what's in the Start menu, then C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu is right there.
I mean, both Unix-based OS' on the market beat it out for usability, unfortunately Microsoft went after Netware early and developed a comprehensive, and 'good enough', manageability stack early. That got them entrenched in big business early and established a solid revenue stream.

Good news for me, instrument vendors are trending towards Linux, and supporting VMs more, all our new mass spectrometers are run by Linux machines. A couple of weeks ago on a "vendor office hours" call I had one of our big instrument vendors jump all over the idea of replacing high-powered, non-standard workstations with well-provisioned VMs.

But the Linux thing means need a strategy for managing them next year. Or, better, making someone else manage them my way.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

I live in fear that MS will one day stop this from working. It really bothers me. Otherwise W10 is fine by me.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

xiw posted:

there is a major AU infosec firm called CyberCX and it absolutely has to be deliberately named.

I came across a job posting on LinkedIn from a company named 'PostHog' which is really up there as one of the worst.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

What exactly do you think “god mode” is or does, out of curiosity?

Provides a full list of all system settings, organized by type? Yeah, I know windows settings is searchable and would get you to the same place, I'm just ingrained in using it from spending so much time on Win7 on my personal PC.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Iron Rose posted:

when you have New York Times articles describing getting a one time SMS 2FA for identity verification for unemployment services as “kafkaesque”, it illustrates quite clearly just how far we in the security industry need to go to meet our audience.
:eyepop:

What?!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Provides a full list of all system settings, organized by type? Yeah, I know windows settings is searchable and would get you to the same place, I'm just ingrained in using it from spending so much time on Win7 on my personal PC.

Are you referring to the old (still accessible) control panel?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yeah, that sounds like the person isn't just tech illiterate, they've never read kafka.

DelphiAegis posted:

I am absolutely baffled that you think anyone would have a clue what you meant by "the god mode."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Windows god mode was totally a thing, but all it really did was expose a bunch of settings in one folder instead of having to go to wherever they were actually located.

Also, the windows 10 hate here has a very “dang kids get off my lawn” feel to it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, that sounds like the person isn't just tech illiterate, they've never read kafka.

It was in the context of "So and So needs to prove to the government that she was, indeed, so and so." I can't find the exact article - it was a few days ago (I looked! Sorry). Essentially it described that so many people were having trouble with the automated verification system they were stuck in lengthy queues to hold up gov't ID to a "trusted verification agent."

This was a self described "computer worker" too.

The Fool posted:

Windows god mode was totally a thing, but all it really did was expose a bunch of settings in one folder instead of having to go to wherever they were actually located.

wait really? Was it literally called god mode? What horrible naming!

e: welp there's egg on my face now. though i would humbly suggest the control panel completely replaces any need for it.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 8, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005
AAAHHHHHH loving Spectrum.

We have service in one of the former BrightHouse areas. We have a static IP, so we get the pleasure of being stuck with both a modem AND a router from them. Service keeps randomly dropping. It will work anywhere from 1 hour to 1 day, and then just quit until the modem and router are power cycled. Tech after tech keeps saying the router is dropping the v4 address assignment and only keeping the v6 (that is not valid anyways).

They replaced both the router and the modem and it still keeps doing it.

They don't know why it is happening.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd imagine the comparison's probably to beuracracy with "you need a form for a form for a thing", only "you need a device to unlock your device and that's just craAAAazy!"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea well jokes on you guys I had to get a text message for my UI benefits and I woke up this morning and I’m a giant bug :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Also, the windows 10 hate here has a very “dang kids get off my lawn” feel to it.

Between this and the Windows 10 thread lately, I'm not understanding what is going on.