Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alhazred posted:

I'm not a huge fan of jokes like "haha, these kinda puzzles are totally stupid, right? But we're gonna force you to do them anyway."

Yeah, I can handle it once and HZD doesn't have too many of those puzzles iirc. They still aren't fun but at least I got a chuckle out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did like the bit in the DLC where Aloy is working on a puzzle and the NPC nearby says something like "why are you waving your arms in the air like that?"

Because the puzzle is an augmented reality construct projected by the focus and only Aloy can see it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite deconstruction of that gameplay trope is the achievement shop in Nier Automata wherein you can just straight up buy cheevos you have started the requirements for. You have to nearly 100% the game to unlock it so you'll surely have several half completed trophies and logs.

In true Yoko Taro anti completionist fashion, a huge chunk of the list asks you to basically fulfill their requirements in a roundabout way in order to purchase them. The cheevo for collecting a huge amount of Money costs exactly that much Money to buy from the shop. :v:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

orcane posted:

GTA V is an entire game about this trope and it's just awful all the way.

GTA V had puzzles in it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was gonna complain that Horizon Zero Dawn kinda needs health regeneration outside of combat, but then I ran into an outfit series (from the DLC?) that adds that. Not a bad solution, I'll switch to something tankier in combat when fast healing's more important, but it's nice to swap to that between times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I can't get a good video but I'm like 90% the new bear in monster hunter rise does the Akira slide

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm replaying Fallen Order and its funny how you don't have a flashlight for dark areas, instead the game tells you to use the block button so you hold up your lightsaber.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

muscles like this! posted:

I'm replaying Fallen Order and its funny how you don't have a flashlight for dark areas, instead the game tells you to use the block button so you hold up your lightsaber.

I absolutely love how they use that in the reveal of your new look in that one vision, great moment. Honestly all the Force vision scenes in that game are great stuff, just nails the dream logic of the whole thing

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hazardousmouse posted:

GTA V had puzzles in it?
No it does it about game mechanics/progression.

"Ha ha we're making the characters in game constantly point out how much it sucks to be sent on errands by assholes for no reward, isn't that funny? Because we give you, the player, the runaround and don't reward you. Get it? We're so clever :smuggo:"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GTA is the anti-Nier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA V is the game people always act like they're playing in the 'dragging this game down' thread, something tedious and conceited and self-righteous that dangles fun in front of you like a carrot on a stick and then makes fun of you for having arms too short to reach it. When those people complain about their game, they have no drat idea what they're talking about. GTA V is their boogeyman. I have never played a game with such an enormous budget that also holds such utter contempt for the person playing. Even RDR2 actually WANTS you to be a pretend cowboy, slow as it may be. GTA V doesn't even let you GT an A because cars you've garage'd are permanent non-respawning objects and if you blow em up you cannot get em back without paying for car insurance?? I already do that in real life and it's too expensive in the real LA, I don't want to have it also be too expensive in the fake LA

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Apr 8, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't even understand what the gently caress that post is saying, I played GTAV and enjoyed it. Never touched online. Worst thing I can say is the classic rock station was weak

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't even understand what the gently caress that post is saying, I played GTAV and enjoyed it. Never touched online. Worst thing I can say is the classic rock station was weak

gta v has deep contempt for me, a classic rock dad

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Gta v is hated by a lot of people on this forum and I guess the internet in general, and I honestly don't get it. The story is a bit immature but apart from that it was an incredible achievement at the time and it's still an impressive game. Had a blast playing it and bought it twice, once I on the 360 (lol) and once on PC.

Online is a loving scam though and I cheated myself millions after playing for a few days after playing for 4 hours to make 250k and then accidentally losing it for renaming my corporation. Get out of here.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stexils posted:

gta v has deep contempt for me, a classic rock dad

I just wanna mow my lawn, sip a Monster, and play GTA while listening to ACDC, why must rockstar confound me?

Son of Rodney posted:

Gta v is hated by a lot of people on this forum and I guess the internet in general, and I honestly don't get it. The story is a bit immature but apart from that it was an incredible achievement at the time and it's still an impressive game. Had a blast playing it and bought it twice, once I on the 360 (lol) and once on PC.

Online is a loving scam though and I cheated myself millions after playing for a few days after playing for 4 hours to make 250k and then accidentally losing it for renaming my corporation. Get out of here.

I spent at least 10 hours hanging out with Amanda and the kids as Micheal just to try and bridge the bound between father and child, and husband and wife. Certified great game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I have enjoyed GTA 5, I thought it was pretty good GTA-ing even if Saint's Row ends up doing it better, but I am squeamish about torture and I can't finish the Trevor torture mission. A cutscene I could get through but not controlling it. It's too bad because I'd like to play more.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

Online being a scam where you either pay up or start grinding, and the single player world being surprisingly empty because all of the non-story things you can do are mostly in the online mode are two of the main complaints from me.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

gohuskies posted:

I have enjoyed GTA 5, I thought it was pretty good GTA-ing even if Saint's Row ends up doing it better, but I am squeamish about torture and I can't finish the Trevor torture mission. A cutscene I could get through but not controlling it. It's too bad because I'd like to play more.
Immediately afterwards Trevor launches into a whole speech about how torture doesn't work and only hinders operations, it's way weirder than the scene itself, like if you had Makarov shouting KILLING IS WRONG I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS during No Russian

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tbh that's pretty on brand for Trevor

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ruffian Price posted:

Immediately afterwards Trevor launches into a whole speech about how torture doesn't work and only hinders operations, it's way weirder than the scene itself, like if you had Makarov shouting KILLING IS WRONG I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS during No Russian

Trevor is a manipulator and a gaslighter, do not take anything he say at face-value. If you pay attention he's not as psycho-random crazy as he seems, he just leans into it because it loving scares the poo poo out of people.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ryu ga Gotoku, the dudes behind the Yakuza series, also made a Fist of the North Star game, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise. It is a post-apocalyptic-hellhole Yakuza game in every way, except that every time not-Kiryu punches a dude, the dude swells up and explodes in a giant cartoony shower of gore. Seriously, though, it has the serious main story, piles of ridiculous substories in which everybody is a goddamn fool, bonkers-rear end minigames, the same voice actors, the same basic combat system, the same sense of humor, and even an entire cabaret-club management game. It's pretty dumb - Fist of the North Star was never very deep - but it's good times.

My favorite little thing, though, is also the thing that made me give the game a chance in the first place. If you explode a guy in just the right way, he lets out a death cry as he dies: a big red shout that hangs in the air for a few seconds before turning into a sparkly thing that you can pick up to heal or recharge your explody gauge. There are lots of death cries, which you collect like trading cards. Mostly English profanity and romanized Japanese probably-also-profanity:

They all turn into sparkly healing items. All except one: 'Hidebu!' When you punch the right kind of thug in the right kind of way, he yells 'Hidebu!' as he dies, and the big red shout hangs in the air for a little while... then it changes color and falls to the ground, thud. You can then pick it up:

And beat the poo poo out of your opponents with it:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't like games where I have to play lovely characters. Given the option between a game where I play someone who isn't an rear end in a top hat, and a game where I play someone who's a contemptible piece of poo poo that I would hate in real life, I'll go with the former, thanks.

Anyway is there a game where they've done the 'oh boy doing [thing] really sucks huh???' and then just...doesn't so it? Like if someone commented about how sewer levels are long and boring and then it just ends up being a single short hallway or something and they're like 'oh okay wasn't so bad'.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

Anyway is there a game where they've done the 'oh boy doing [thing] really sucks huh???' and then just...doesn't so it? Like if someone commented about how sewer levels are long and boring and then it just ends up being a single short hallway or something and they're like 'oh okay wasn't so bad'.

There's a level in the first Halo game called The Library, which is infamous for being incredibly long and repetitive, to the point that most people agree it's the low point of the whole thing. It's an endless walk through samey-looking huge dark hallways, using a unique but drab set of textures and decorations, while the game's least interesting enemies constantly run at you.

In Halo 2, you go to a second Halo ring, and eventually realize you're going to visit a second Library. This time, it's heavily foreshadowed- you can see the exterior of the building on the horizon for a while, the NPCs talk about going there, and you spend a long time working your way up to it and fighting through the entrance.

Then you step into a room that looks exactly like the old Library, with the same assets, same layout, and the chapter title pops up, which is "That Old Familiar Feeling", and you silently sigh and resign yourself to what's about to happen.

Then ten steps later a cutscene starts and that's the end of the level.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

There's a level in the first Halo game called The Library, which is infamous for being incredibly long and repetitive, to the point that most people agree it's the low point of the whole thing. It's an endless walk through samey-looking huge dark hallways, using a unique but drab set of textures and decorations, while the game's least interesting enemies constantly run at you.

In Halo 2, you go to a second Halo ring, and eventually realize you're going to visit a second Library. This time, it's heavily foreshadowed- you can see the exterior of the building on the horizon for a while, the NPCs talk about going there, and you spend a long time working your way up to it and fighting through the entrance.

Then you step into a room that looks exactly like the old Library, with the same assets, same layout, and the chapter title pops up, which is "That Old Familiar Feeling", and you silently sigh and resign yourself to what's about to happen.

Then ten steps later a cutscene starts and that's the end of the level.

Some of the OG Halo devs commented on a Halo speedrun and they mention that the Library was meant to be really different and interesting but due to memory issues or something they literally just walled off all the interesting parts.
It's actually a really cool commentary: https://youtu.be/9ndZbg8Mr-Q

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Morpheus posted:

Lair of the Clockwork God has a door locked with a giant sliding puzzle, which is solved by blowing the door up

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Tbh that's pretty on brand for Trevor

Trevor's the reason I've never finished the game. I kinda enjoy the other two protags, but when the game makes me play as Trevor I just absolutely hate it.

The Saints Row protagonist is a sociopath in a fun way. Trevor's just miserable and sucks all the fun immediately out of the game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You can't do that though, you can't both do the thing and proclaim that doing the thing is bad. The writers get to eat their cake and have it too, and I don't care for it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
GTA V had a pity skip option if you failed a mission often enough, so during repeat playthroughs I used that to skip all the lovely missions like the entire FIB arc.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The Saints Row protagonist is a sociopath in a fun way. Trevor's just miserable and sucks all the fun immediately out of the game.

Really more of a puckish rogue, I'd say.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SodomyGoat101 posted:

I mean in Saints Row 2 the protag does some pretty amazingly terrible things

Man I love the Saints Row games (minus 1, which is just a bad GTA clone). Really jonesing for that kinda fun take on the genre once again

Actually, where is my Bully 2 Rockstar? I think it's my favorite of their games, solely because of the smaller scale of the whole thing and how perfectly terrible the villain is. I don't think there's ever been a villain in a game that I've looked forward to punching more tbh

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Morpheus posted:

I don't like games where I have to play lovely characters. Given the option between a game where I play someone who isn't an rear end in a top hat, and a game where I play someone who's a contemptible piece of poo poo that I would hate in real life, I'll go with the former, thanks.

Nuts and Bolts starts with you having to do a big collectathon but then stops it after a few seconds to bring you to the real game, but given that people actually wanted Banjo Threeie that kind of had the opposite effect

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Far Cry Blood Dragon.

"Slow tutorials sure do suck rear end, huh?! Don't you just hate em?!"

*while making you do a slow, lovely tutorial*

An actual good play on that: Saint's Row 4. "Can't this poo poo go any faster?!" (timer drops from 30 minutes to 2)

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Amusingly, Hidebu! isn't a swear word; it's what the authors of FotNS decided Itai yo! (It hurts!) sounds like if you say it while your head's exploding. With FotNS being as influential as it is, it's now a meme.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gaius Marius posted:

Gta V has no respect for the player. You can have fun with a game that sucks but that doesn't make the game not suck. Making it take forever to achieve anything noteworthy doesn't make the game's and plot's consequences realistic, it makes it boring.

Edit: GTA SA had a few different stages of your guy's body mesh as you got fatter and thinner and changed the textures if you got jacked. GTA V doesn't even have the decency to stop calling your guy a lazy fatso after you compete in a triathlon and max the stat out.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Apr 8, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Retro Futurist posted:

Nuts and Bolts starts with you having to do a big collectathon but then stops it after a few seconds to bring you to the real game, but given that people actually wanted Banjo Threeie that kind of had the opposite effect

Yeah, the game did everything wrong to get fan interest, which is a shame because it's actually a really fun game on its own merits. The best Lego game ever made.

CJacobs posted:

Gta V has no respect for the player. You can have fun with a game that sucks but that doesn't make the game not suck. Making it take forever to achieve anything noteworthy doesn't make the game's and plot's consequences realistic, it makes it boring.

Edit: GTA SA had a few different stages of your guy's body mesh as you got fatter and thinner and changed the textures if you got jacked. GTA V doesn't even have the decency to stop calling your guy a lazy fatso after you compete in a triathlon and max the stat out.

Feels like that San Andreas may have had some bloat but it's the last GTA game that respected the player, nowadays it almost seems like Rockstar actively resents the franchise's popularity.

SodomyGoat101 posted:

The SR3 protagonist is fun in being an irreverent rear end in a top hat but not a petty or unpleasant one, and it turns out the 'charismatic morally dubious rogue' trope exists for a reason.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

Gta v is hated by a lot of people on this forum and I guess the internet in general, and I honestly don't get it.
I think it's the cultural impact of GTA III. The internet in general thinks GTA is the kind of free-roaming, bloody, blank-slate-protag, easy-peasy shooting spree, beat-missions-your-own-way game it was 20 years ago on PS2, and complains when it gets a focused story built around clearly defined characters and directed cinematic moments, which is what GTA firmly and unapologetically has been for 13 of those 20 years and you could make a case for 17.

Not so much the kind of story that really still works as a fun video game in all or even most of its facets, it has to be said, but like RDR2 a decent story that works well if you're wise to Rockstar's schemes that are supposed to make you think it's a big complex sim game and ignore most of those elements in favour of beelining the story, and if you treat it as a slightly interactive movie. Online's a grift though for sure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah one thing I will give GTA is that it was never the jump in a car and start mowing people down game, so I take no issue with it punishing that behavior. Wanton killing was discouraged even in 3, most characters called you a psycho if you did it with them in your car, and iirc Vice City tried to get people to stop playing that way by making killing sprees their own mini game like Trevor's side missions in V.

Don't get me wrong, GTA V doesn't suck because it's GTA, they still nailed the general tone and atmosphere and even the gameplay besides the controls. I don't like the OVERALL story but moment to moment it was very funny. GTA V sucks because it's harder to actually experience the gameplay they crafted due to the hurdles you gotta jump to 'earn' it outside story missions. If they rectified that and made being in the game world as fun as it is listening to Frank and Lamar bicker like the odd couple, it'd instantly solve so much.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Apr 8, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The best GTA will honestly just always be Saints Row 2 and 3, though maybe more 2

And the best GTA minigame will always be the insurance fraud games in those

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vice City Stories is secretly the best GTA and nobody knows it because it started trapped on the late life PSP. It's got a fantastic soundtrack, a ton of cool side missions, a decent story, a really nice empire building system where you can take and develop criminal enterprises from other gangs and need to defend the in return. It also let you buy bulletproof cars and things like that.

Really wish rockstar would've kept going in that direction, a city the size of Los Santos in V with the empire building system of VCS/Godfather II would've been killer

Saint's row 2 is great, but it always feels a step down from GTA, it always felt like they didn't have the same level of confidence in the product that Rockstar has.

3 and 4 are just bad, the tone went so far into the nonsensical that you can't even pretend to take it seriously. And stripping out all the customization options is total bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
GTA V is fine