Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

DAMNED BANTY EGGS!!! :derp:
:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

#25 and #36 have also now pipped. At least #8 hasn't begun to unzip yet, although there is MUCH annoyed peeping coming from it.

We're not running the cam yet, but I'd advise anyone interested in watching the hatch to check our YouTube channel every couple of hours--if you see eggs, the hatch is on!
The eggs go into lockdown tonight, I'd expect a chick or two maybe tomorrow at the earliest. Meanwhile, the brooder box is ready, and Club Flamingo is GO! Vital instructions on How To Chicken, in place.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 1, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

spookygonk posted:

Will post an update shortly. We still have all five which is as it should be.
:neckbeard: i'm so relieved. i was kind of afraid to ask, just in case the lack of updates meant bad news. (that's usually how it works for my quail)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Two more eggs have pipped, #6 & #10. All five pipped eggs are behaving themselves and not unzipping yet, though we do have peeping and rocking eggs.

AND--we have a surprise for everyone this year. It'll be revealed once Chickam starts!

EDIT--Two more eggs have pipped, #14 and 16, for a total of 7 eggs pipped. I just moved the eggs to the bottom of the ReptiPro and put them into lockdown--raised the humidity to 65% and stopped turning the eggs, it's what signals the eggs that it's time to hatch--so now the little beggars can hatch all they want!

I'd say we can expect our first hatch tomorrow!

EDIT #2: Chickam will begin today! We now have a total of 8 eggs pipped, #7 pipped overnight--with lots of peeping going on! I think #10 will be the first to hatch, I'm checking the eggs every 30 minutes and will start the cam once hatching is going to start.
I'm checking the eggs every 30 minutes and will start the cam when one is nearing hatch. And YES, I talk to the eggs! It encourages them to hatch, and if you listen they'll peep back at me, sounding very annoyed. The eggs in the front row are the ones that have pipped.
I've now entered the phase of Time Of No Sleep, Bring On The Coffee. Blarg...

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 2, 2021

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yay Chickam!

Shoulder party is in full effect

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chickam has begun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KJ4uq6fuJU

The Chickam thread in GBS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964037

Post your name suggestions there!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 2, 2021

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Hurray for Chickam! :toot:

hope and vaseline posted:

Yay Chickam!

Shoulder party is in full effect

Their big feet! :love:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/birdcardigan/status/1377907999356854280

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

omg

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i just checked chickam and saw tiny damp babies all tired out from their big journey :kimchi:

- omg there's a hand! they're awake! they're ALIVE
:qq: chix

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the two grandchildren of frida quailo and the sacred felafel

(scrubtit is also thriving, but i think he's moose's rather than friday's. mostly because quimmix likes being picked up and scrubby hates it!)

perepelki fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 4, 2021

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Eclipse is shaping up to be the dominant one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGNUk3y1fg

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Alterian posted:

Eclipse is shaping up to be the dominant one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGNUk3y1fg
:kimchi:! chicks being afraid of worms is my new favourite thing! i love the way they delicately dance and prance around on tiptoes

in other chick news, here are some bathing beauties

and mother moose, a hen fulfilled

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Chics moved into their new home this weekend, next stop is the coop!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

they grow up so fast :qq:

the twins just spent their first night outside in the coop. even though they're fully feathered, i always get so anxious about it. but of course moose kept them safe and warm.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We have a broody hen! One of last spring’s Buff Orpingtons (Hoover’s hatchery via Tractor Supply, for those keeping score at home).

I gave her 5 eggs and I put 7 eggs in the incubator as insurance against accidental crushed eggs. Now we just have to wait...

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The chicks got more space today and spent some time dust bathing :3:

Broody mama is broody.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Joburg posted:

The chicks got more space today and spent some time dust bathing :3:

Broody mama is broody.

I think brooding birds have some sort of quantum entanglement going on that lets them somehow increase their size by an unknowable exponential factor.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

We lost all three of our chooks last night to a predator..

I know predators have different patterns, which is most likely with heads completely removed?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Explosionface posted:

We lost all three of our chooks last night to a predator..

I know predators have different patterns, which is most likely with heads completely removed?

If you're anywhere in the us, I'd say raccoon.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I think brooding birds have some sort of quantum entanglement going on that lets them somehow increase their size by an unknowable exponential factor.

Angry Orb!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v85cffInrbw

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lawson posted:

If you're anywhere in the us, I'd say raccoon.

This.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, raccoon. Exactly what happened to our three girls.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Yep, in the middle of the US, suspected raccoon. I would be less angry if they bothered to at least eat my birds instead of just killing them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ugh. If you want advice on dealing with the aftermath and raccoon-proofing and trapping, I just went through this.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Things in the weasel family do that too.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Halloween Jack posted:

Ugh. If you want advice on dealing with the aftermath and raccoon-proofing and trapping, I just went through this.

I will definitely listen to anything. Closing on a new house today that's more on the outskirts of town with more predator traffic. We're also going to need to rethink the idea of "let them roam around the entire yard all day and close them up as soon as we can get to it after dark"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Uh, your chickens need to be in before dark. Daytime attacks by mammalian predators are rare, but they all come out at night.

The first thing is to figure out how the predator got in. Weasels are really hard to proof against; they can squeeze through tiny gaps. But if it was a racoon you can probably find the entry point with a little looking around. The predator may also not have gotten in--racoons can't tear through hardware cloth, but they can reach through it and yank the heads off chickens resting nearby.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We plan to build this soon: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sorry about your chickens, Explosionface. That sucks!

I’m sure I’ve posted about it before but I use an 8’x8’ version of this for a summer coop. The only negatives I have found is that it has to be staked/strapped down really well and wind coming in the front disturbs the chickens. Mine is in the fenced rabbit yard so it’s mostly made with chicken wire instead of hardware cloth. If the chickens understand how to roost then I leave the door open 24-7. If it’s really hot I take off the plywood back cover. I need to replace the hole-y tarp on it (it’s a Texas Monster Truck advertisement right now, I’m sure the neighbors will miss it) but it’s too drat windy.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/exaltiora/status/1369984022466727938

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

an offended raven just looked me dead in the eye and telepathically conveyed "if you want to put out water for us but don't want us near your quail, then don't put our water near the loving quail! idiot"

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i'm shamed.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qrdbyjJZlg1s1ddrj.mp4

Wildo
Aug 20, 2005
Phallus Phalli
The chickens went on a run through the garden today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Finally got around to naming our chics. They are 5 weeks old today.

Yngwie J Malmsteen

Jackson Brownie

Bill Frisell

Fuzzy Butt

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Luna posted:

Finally got around to naming our chics. They are 5 weeks old today.

Yngwie J Malmsteen

Jackson Brownie

Bill Frisell

Fuzzy Butt

i love them. their faces are kind, but firm

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the kookaburras are learning, the rules of the game have changed. now they only laugh after they've already won. then i get treated to a deafening chorus of laughter that slowly retreats step by step into the distance as they hop from tree to tree, cackling hysterically and sharing my quail between them. i would compare them most closely to raccoons, in that they enjoy a challenge and have a clear sense of humour, but also dolphins, in that they work in teams and are far smarter than i am

rest in peace emu and echidna; born on invasion day, named after native fauna, taken by kookaburras, forever young

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i think at this point the thing i'm most grateful and respectful for is that they're coordinated enough, and there's enough of them, that they could easily take two or three quail at a time. but they don't. they take one, and enjoy it immensely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i feel like i have to report every quail death in this thread now not just listing how it happened and to whom, but why i neglected them long enough for the kookaburras to strike, so you can learn from my sins

emu was taken when i'd just eaten some fly agaric i found in the bush and suddenly needed to puke (fly agaric enthusiasts will know how suddenly and intensely the nausea comes on)

echidna was taken when i stepped inside to turn the stove off

they are always watching