Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

This is my favourite post about disco elysium:

relatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

It was the giant bug
yeah that got me too. It loves me. I have value...

That whole scene is the game in a nutshell imo, I absolutely cracked up when it appeared and I realised what was happening. Incredible game but I dunno if I'll ever replay it, I get the impression the illusion of choice/consequences would fall apart on replay tbh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the hosed up dream harry has about his ex-wife did get to me a little, if i'm being honest. it's written pretty well and i think most people have had to face something similar to that situation, being unable to accept that your time with someone important to you is basically at an end, and there's no catharsis or end to the chapter, it just... stops. it helps that the game puts intense roadblocks up whenever he even comes close to thinking about it, even though there's enough dialog that the player knows what happened. i was sort of hoping that they'd just talk around it without actually addressing it head-on the whole game, but both the timing and the way they finally get into it feels like an important part of him coming to terms with himself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That whole scene is the game in a nutshell imo, I absolutely cracked up when it appeared and I realised what was happening. Incredible game but I dunno if I'll ever replay it, I get the impression the illusion of choice/consequences would fall apart on replay tbh

i definitely have to replay it at some point because i never found a good record for the church gang to find their sound, and i rolled poorly on empathy (my best loving skill, i just hit it unlucky) that the woman committed suicide after our confrontation. there are a lot of little things that i feel like can be different, like whether you catch the die, etc. i also feel like it would be a good game to watch someone else play and experience for the first time.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

before I played it I thought disco elysium was gonna be this niche, player hostile game where you'd have to work hard to figure out what was going on. was surprised in a really good way when it was like, just straight up entertaining. it rules that having your emotions talk to you somehow makes things less confusing. hype to play it again!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Well poo poo I just started playing last weekend but only had time to play a couple hours. If the big updates at the end of March I may as well put it aside until then.

I really liked what I got to see of the game though, nothing like what I expected.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
The best was when first playing I refused to internalize the racism idea to get past the one guy cause I didn’t want to be racist but then kept playing and couldn’t find another way to get around him that my stats could succeed at so I just said gently caress it guess I’ll become a racist

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

apropos to nothing posted:

The best was when first playing I refused to internalize the racism idea to get past the one guy cause I didn’t want to be racist but then kept playing and couldn’t find another way to get around him that my stats could succeed at so I just said gently caress it guess I’ll become a racist

This is also how Hitler got started.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

apropos to nothing posted:

i took drugs to become stronger but i ended up becoming racist even without internalizing according to the end blurb. heyu whatever

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I became racist when that trucker made some really good points

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I became racist when that trucker made some really good points

This.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

i took drugs to become stronger but i ended up becoming racist even without internalizing according to the end blurb. heyu whatever

I think that internalising the racist thought and saying racist poo poo in dialogues is tracked differently.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just jumped from the roof on the other side to avoid the racist guy. you don't need good physical skills to do it because at the time all I had was empathy and inland empire.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think that internalising the racist thought and saying racist poo poo in dialogues is tracked differently.

it is. you can see it somewhere in the menu with an actual number next to it. they tally choices for stuff like fascism, liberalism and communism (I don't think feminist agenda has a count, but I might be wrong). there's a similar system for coptypes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's a game with a pretty definitive beginning, middle, and end, but I think there are enough big and interesting malleable points along the way like (big spoilers) turning the church into a dance club, or all the dolores dei stuff, or the possibility of kim getting shot and you partnering with cuno in the endgame that I don't think it's on the level of like, a Telltale Walking Dead game when it comes to "illusion of choice". One of the biggest selling points of the definitive edition too is substantial, mutually exclusive side quests tied to each of the political alignments, so that alone is gonna get at least one replay out of me

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I did the classic try to be a good normal guy in my playthrough which becomes apparent is not something the game wants you to do. So on replay I'm going full swing

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

its bad rear end, imo, when australia bans a game
https://twitter.com/RefusedC/status/1372772350744174592

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Australian, Australians and andy thing Aussie is loving fail. No surprises there.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

runod posted:

its bad rear end, imo, when australia bans a game
https://twitter.com/RefusedC/status/1372772350744174592

oh yeah.. THAT happened.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they ban anything with "real" drugs in it so it's the amphetamines lol

Bicyclops posted:

(I don't think feminist agenda has a count, but I might be wrong).
nah, just the political philosophies - four of them and they're each going to have an exclusive quest. Communism, fascism, liberalism and Moralism which is just I-don't-do-politics

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 19, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they ban anything with "real" drugs in it so it's the amphetamines lol

nah, just the political philosophies - four of them and they're each going to have an exclusive quest. Communism, fascism, liberalism and Moralism which is just I-don't-do-politics

I forgot moralism, yeah. it might track the feminist stuff somewhere despite it not being one of the big four political philosophies, though, there are numbers you can see for all the coptypes. I think it's anything that can go in your thought cabinet that isn't just triggered by a single event.

i think one of the cool things about the game is how much work it does in the background without you noticing. the passive check successes and the numbers building to new thought discoveries don't feel artificial or like something you want to look up the mechanics for, you just experience them based on your choices.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Australian, Australians and andy thing Aussie is loving fail. No surprises there.

what about four n twnty meat pies

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I what about our lord and savior the vb long neck. get that up ya

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I thought that the whole point of Australia adding an Adults Only 18+ rating meant that they would stop denying games classification

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Revachol Forever

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Does this mean the free update won't apply on Aus steam accounts?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dildo Effluvium

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

SpaceAceJase posted:

Does this mean the free update won't apply on Aus steam accounts?

i think its just the console versions banned??

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Oh that's alright. That version should be banned imo. It's a game for adults

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
I love the German partyboys.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

Oh that's alright. That version should be banned imo. It's a game for adults

are you implying that video game consoles are for children here in the imp zone?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the update is live on steam and the game should be on the PS store now

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I just got my first game over after loving up at bocce ball so bad that I quit being a cop

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This game loving rules even though I’ve wound up as Cuno’s bitch

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This game loving rules even though I’ve wound up as Cuno’s bitch

theres no shame in being #2 to the GOAT

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Arrhythmia posted:

This is my favourite post about disco elysium:

Lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I want to make progress in this game but I keep restarting :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

I want to make progress in this game but I keep restarting :smith:

why? it's a game where it's fun to live with your bad rolls. just save often so you don't die at any of the minor difficult parts and live with your choices, like the protagonist does.