Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
There is a place here that will cook up any fish you caught on the lake. I've never seen someone do it before but that'd be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I live in SD and hadn't seen a Cracker Barrel. It looks just like Al's Oasis, my favorite place to stop when driving across the state.

They've got solid diner food with great fries

And have some legitimately amazing pies:

And now I realize I have to drive 3 hrs to have some this weekend.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all of that looks 10000% better than the best thing at Cracker Barrel

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, that's an incredibly unfair comparison to Cracker Barrel. That burger actually made my stomach growl in anticipation.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tex Avery posted:

Seriously, that's an incredibly unfair comparison to Cracker Barrel. That burger actually made my stomach growl in anticipation.

Yeah that burg looks like an A+ diner burg. Definitely would.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Don't tell me this poo poo aint beautiful in its own way.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Tex Avery posted:

Yeah, just the kitsch and candy sticks etc - had a similar feel. But feels actually like coming from a genuine place at Al's Oasis.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just googled "cracker barrel food" and it all looked great until I found some of the real pics from online reviews.

I don't even know what this one is. French toast?

And this one I couldn't upload to imgur.

https://images.saymedia-content.com/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_700/MTc0NjE4MjgyODQwOTU4OTIx/whyihatecrackerbarrel.webp

I've always wanted to check that place out since I've had one near me forever but just never bothered. These pics don't really give me confidence. It doesn't seem to be southern food like someone mentioned but just like, standard maybe midwest food you eat every day. Pot roast, turkey dinner, grilled chicken, etc.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 7, 2021

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

wilderthanmild posted:

Having a party to tell everyone that my dog, who looks exactly like a lab mixed with a border collie, is in fact a lab mixed with a border collie.

Please invite me.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

I will.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chuka Umana posted:

It definitely is. I was in a house today that was near as bad but occupied, in galveston...sad af seeing old people holed up in places like that, but that's what happens.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Chuka Umana posted:

its where young people go to die from crack

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Empty Sandwich posted:

in the US, you can't sell actual game meat, which annoys the hell out of me. any meat sold in stores or restaurants has to be farmed/ranched, so that it can be inspected. (not fish, obviously.)

I had wild boar at a restaurant once in France. it tasted like pork made out of steak.

It's mostly a game management thing. If people could make money selling game meat a lot of game species would be functionally extinct in about 12 months. A lot of states don't have bag limits but there is a limit to the amount of meat you can stuff in a freezer, letting people sell it would turn into a nightmare of poaching and quasi-legal sales.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Outrail posted:

It's mostly a game management thing. If people could make money selling game meat a lot of game species would be functionally extinct in about 12 months. A lot of states don't have bag limits but there is a limit to the amount of meat you can stuff in a freezer, letting people sell it would turn into a nightmare of poaching and quasi-legal sales.

When I worked in utility construction I had a coworker who would take off three weeks around deer season because he inherited a butcher shop from his dad that did nothing but game deer, and he would make enough money during those three weeks to take two hunting trips a year + two nascar race trips.

He took that poo poo off even if he didn't have paid vacation time because it was so lucrative.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ALL HANDS ABANDON SHIP! REPEAT, ALL HANDS ABANDO..........!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEH_4ku4j_A

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I am so jealous. What happened to the cat statue?!

When she eventually had to go to a nursing home and we needed to clear out her house a bunch of my cousins looted the place like assholes even though she was completely broke and there was nothing of value in the entire house. None of them actually cared about her or helped to clear out the house they just came around to loot the place and take anything that wasn't nailed down. So one of them got the cat and presumably sold it at a yard sale or just threw it out.

Captain Lavender posted:

I live in SD and hadn't seen a Cracker Barrel. It looks just like Al's Oasis, my favorite place to stop when driving across the state.

They've got solid diner food with great fries

And have some legitimately amazing pies:

And now I realize I have to drive 3 hrs to have some this weekend.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Please invite me.

I was talking about the dog in the article, but I do happen to have a border collie shar pei mix that looks sorta like a lab border collie mix.

Also cracker barrel's entire schtick is trying to pretend to be one of those good good locally run diners that places like it run out of business.

That Al's place is probably pretty good eating based on the pics. At the very least it's better than cracker barrel.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

wilderthanmild posted:

I was talking about the dog in the article, but I do happen to have a border collie shar pei mix that looks sorta like a lab border collie mix.

Also cracker barrel's entire schtick is trying to pretend to be one of those good good locally run diners that places like it run out of business.

That Al's place is probably pretty good eating based on the pics. At the very least it's better than cracker barrel.

Holy poo poo your dog is cool!

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I have a question – why did meat pies never take off in America? They seem perfectly suited, it's hot meat and gravy in a portable container that you can eat while you walk or drive, what's not to like

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

We do. Chicken and beef pot pies. Frozen ones are a staple

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Casualties of the last housing crisis, right?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I just checked too see if my old hometown diner was still in business and welp

genuinely sad, I have so many memories here :(

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

PokeJoe posted:

that poster did specify a "portable container", and i would lol forever if i saw someone walking down the street eating a pot pie

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

90s Solo Cup posted:

Casualties of the last housing crisis, right?

Yes but also detroit went through some major financial poo poo as well as corruption poo poo that just left it in ruins.

I love thinking about major cities from the ancient past that are ruined...Like I wish I could go back and witness Babylon on it's last legs, everything getting boarded up, people just moving out, dust sweeps in, slowly everything gets buried and people forget. It will happen to ever city eventually.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

that poster did specify a "portable container", and i would lol forever if i saw someone walking down the street eating a pot pie

American meat pies are called Hot Pockets

I mean empanadas are popular depending on exactly where you live, but that's basically the same thing anyway

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yes but also detroit went through some major financial poo poo as well as corruption poo poo that just left it in ruins.

I love thinking about major cities from the ancient past that are ruined...Like I wish I could go back and witness Babylon on it's last legs, everything getting boarded up, people just moving out, dust sweeps in, slowly everything gets buried and people forget. It will happen to ever city eventually.

Detroit may be unique in that it's the only economically healthy city in recent history that was just wholesale abandoned due to demographic shifts.

There was no massive flood or economic devastation, no famine, no pestilence, no war, people just heard that schools were being desegregated so they moved nine miles away to Oakland County. It's wild.

The Detroit metropolitan area is home to 3.7m people and a $267b/yr economy. They all just got up and went to other school districts and left Detroit proper to rot.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 8, 2021

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Where I live in the midwest we have empanada places and kolache. Apparently there are sweet and savory kolache but the place near me only does savory. They are dough stuffed with various fillings like sausage, cheese, hamburger, onions, etc. They are really good, very portable, and cheap.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Where I live in the midwest we have empanada places and kolache. Apparently there are sweet and savory kolache but the place near me only does savory. They are dough stuffed with various fillings like sausage, cheese, hamburger, onions, etc. They are really good, very portable, and cheap.

Kolaches are great, and Czech stop is great:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Oh hell yeah, I'm gonna have to get kolache today now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

PokeJoe posted:

This is killing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LifeSunDeath posted:

Kolaches are great, and Czech stop is great:

Wow, this may be the first time I've seen a picture of kolaches vaguely resembling real koláče.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Aardvark! posted:

Imagine the freedom of casually strolling down smalltown main street eating a piping hot pot pie. Right in everyone's faces. :911:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Brain In A Jar posted:

I have a question – why did meat pies never take off in America? They seem perfectly suited, it's hot meat and gravy in a portable container that you can eat while you walk or drive, what's not to like

They did ( just not everywhere ) pasties are a thing in / around Duluth.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The Bloop posted:

American meat pies are called Hot Pockets

I mean empanadas are popular depending on exactly where you live, but that's basically the same thing anyway

there was an empanada place within walking distance of me until covid :f:

ive often wondered why there isnt a big chain in america selling basically hot pockets as fast food. you could do all the logistics research in the UK, offer a nice selection, i bet it'd be a hit

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Wow, this may be the first time I've seen a picture of kolaches vaguely resembling real koláče.

lotta czechs in central Texas

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Aardvark! posted:

there was an empanada place within walking distance of me until covid :f:

ive often wondered why there isnt a big chain in america selling basically hot pockets as fast food. you could do all the logistics research in the UK, offer a nice selection, i bet it'd be a hit

seriously drive through chebureki is a thing of dreams why not done

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Aardvark! posted:

It's extremely common to buy a meat pie in Australia and stand/walk around playing a game called 'don't spill it on the sidewalk while guarding it from magpies and kookaburras'.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
You must always blow on the pie. Safer communities together.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
As an American living abroad the first meat pie I had blew my mind. We can't have them because everyone would be dead within weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Spanish Matlock posted:

As an American living abroad the first meat pie I had blew my mind. We can't have them because everyone would be dead within weeks.

America is a Mr burns medical logjam, nothing could make it any worse.