Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I tried to pick up Rise for the first time at 11pm after a full day of tedious bullshit. Awful timing on my part. Game throws quite a bit at you. Keen to pick it up tomorrow thouhh

Yeah I got overwhelmed real fast and I'm just gonna start fresh some other time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I only tried the demo for Fuser not expecting much, but after improving/ruining the demo tracks with All Star, I kind of want it now...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Twelve by Pies posted:

On top of that, there's only the one maze, and that's it. Nothing new, nothing different, and no real changes to the board itself.

This is also Tetris 99.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RillAkBea posted:

MonHun talk, I've pretty much whittled my choices down to Long Sword/Light Bowgun. I had some real trouble with the long sword at first because it's kinda awkward to position but once you get the hang of it, it has some really neat moves. Being able to drop into a defensive stance with the wirebug and tank a charge is just fantastic if you nail the timing.

Really though, I've been spending almost as much time just exploring the areas as hunting mons. I hope we get some more added later.

They have a content patch for end of month and another one on the road map as TBD that finishes the story. The Mon Hun Thead is all about Rise right now. They are very likely to release a DLC expansion in a year or so too based on sales and what they did with World. They probably aren't going to go back to releasing a full title for the update instead of DLC expansions. Even pokemon stopped doing 3rd title bullshit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rodney The Yam II posted:

A couple of quick reviews, don't remember seeing these ones mentioned:

Thief Simulator

Feel the same way. I bought it for like a dollar and, yeah, someone really wanted to make a burglary game and just had a budget of like twenty bucks and a pizza, but all in all it's pretty fun, and surprisingly tense when your in a house with someone else trying to grab whatever you can, hoping they don't leave the living room.

Also there's a point you reach where you can steal cars and completely disassemble them. I'm talking literally taking out each bolt and screw of an engine as you pull every piece of it apart to sell or discard, it's wild that this is just in the game as a side thing.

Also, you can decorate your place with stolen stuff, what?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
After nearly a year, Streets of Rage 4 is finally getting DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LwwRrI-NY0

The DLC adds a survival mode, at least one new playable character, new moves for the existing cast, new weapons, and new music (this time by Tee Lopes of Sonic Mania fame).

A release date isn't available yet, but when the DLC comes out it'll be accompanied by a free patch that'll add a new difficulty setting (Mania+!), training mode and tutorials, gameplay tweaks and some new selectable palettes for the characters.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Pacman 99 proving to be more divisive than Tetris or Mario. I kinda like it? But hard agree on it being more obtuse than either of the games before it.

I think using the different options might influence the randomization of each board/threshold but maybe it's just my imagination?
Speed sometimes makes the board easier to clear (some quadrants missing dots) for a quicker board clear / speed up?
Train might reduce the threshold of dots needed for a bonus fruit, so you can cycle the board quicker and add to your train? Or maybe it just gives you additional ghosts on train?
No idea how strength might work. Maybe a slight attack bonus to your badges?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

When is Dusk coming out?

I needs it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

When is Dusk coming out?

I needs it.
Not sure if a date's announced yet, but apparently it just passed Nintendo Lot Check a couple of days ago, so it should be pretty darn soon. Or SOON™, as the publisher likes to say.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tempura Wizard posted:

Pacman 99 proving to be more divisive than Tetris or Mario. I kinda like it? But hard agree on it being more obtuse than either of the games before it.

I think using the different options might influence the randomization of each board/threshold but maybe it's just my imagination?
Speed sometimes makes the board easier to clear (some quadrants missing dots) for a quicker board clear / speed up?
Train might reduce the threshold of dots needed for a bonus fruit, so you can cycle the board quicker and add to your train? Or maybe it just gives you additional ghosts on train?

There's some attack that makes the ghosts on other boards have a very short blue phase when you eat a pellet like you are in the deep boards only it started for me on like level 1 so I'm sure someone attacked me to get that to happen that or the game bugged out hard.

How hard is it to put actual descriptions of what the attacks do in the manual? It's not obvious at all even trying to watch other players screens.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hatty posted:

Wario Ware 99. do it

This would actually kick rear end

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Feel the same way. I bought it for like a dollar and, yeah, someone really wanted to make a burglary game and just had a budget of like twenty bucks and a pizza, but all in all it's pretty fun, and surprisingly tense when your in a house with someone else trying to grab whatever you can, hoping they don't leave the living room.

Also there's a point you reach where you can steal cars and completely disassemble them. I'm talking literally taking out each bolt and screw of an engine as you pull every piece of it apart to sell or discard, it's wild that this is just in the game as a side thing.

Also, you can decorate your place with stolen stuff, what?

Huh. I saw that game and thought it looked mildly interesting but very cheap and janky. Guess I'll put it on the ol' wishlist.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New No More Heroes 3 trailer

https://youtu.be/jtBbkVoKgJQ

Can't embed because of age restrictions. Really looking forward to this.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

New No More Heroes 3 trailer

https://youtu.be/jtBbkVoKgJQ

Can't embed because of age restrictions. Really looking forward to this.

This definitely nails the tone but I really hope we get to see some indepth look at gameplay soon because I'm getting worried this is gonna be all sizzle and no steak.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lmao about travis strikes again

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Was the english dubbing always that bad for these games? Woof.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Was the english dubbing always that bad for these games? Woof.

the personality the VAs bring to their characters has always been like 60% of what made these games good. not sure what you're talking about

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah I got overwhelmed real fast and I'm just gonna start fresh some other time.

Wouldn't feel too bad about it, i put a decent chunk of time into world and rise was still a little overwhelming

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You ever play Warlords? It's four player versus Breakout/Pong and it loving owns.

Our neighbor gave us their Atari 2600 when I was a kid and it included Warlords and 4 of those dial controller things. It owned so much and Warlords 99 would be sheer chaos.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

That’s not what I was implying at all. I collect and enjoy retro games that were released before I was born, I understand that nostalgia is not required to like an old game (or movie or book or anything). But I do not understand why anyone likes Pac-Man, it’s just not fun or interesting to me. I wish it was so I could be part of the fun :shrug:
What's the oldest game you do like?

I'm trying to think of how many versions of PAC-MAN I have on Switch. I think it's:
  • PAC-MAN (Namco Museum)
  • PAC-MAN Vs. (Namco Museum)
  • PAC-MAN Championship Edition 2+
  • PAC-MAN (FC/NES) (Namcot Collection)
  • PAC-MAN Champtionship Edition (M2 Demake) (Namcot Collection)
  • PAC-MAN 99
So that's more than Tetris and SMB, but less than Puyo Puyo?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kirbysuperstar posted:

You ever play Warlords? It's four player versus Breakout/Pong and it loving owns.

Got to play that a bit at an arcade convention and can confirm that it does, in fact, own.

Given that I've been looking to break into the Switch market, maybe I should just develop a blatant knockoff of that and make it like a dollar.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I played Pac-Man for the first time that wasn't at a pizza parlor when it was cheap on PS4 for like $1, it was the OG and Ms. Pac-Man both. I spent a weekend just playing them, learning how the ghosts work and strategies and stuff. I didn't get very good but it slowly started to hook me despite it being simple and me never really liking that era of games too much (I grew up on NES but Atari/older arcade always felt old even in 1992). Ultimately I looked up "optimal strategy" for Pac-Man 1 to get the final trophy and it was pretty interesting learning about how it's a solved game and so on. Gist of it is, Ms. Pac-Man obviates the original in pretty much every way.

I am definitely not good at it and I haven't tried any of the newer neon Pac-Mans, but I would say I get it now. Compared to a lot of games from that era, it's more engaging.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This definitely nails the tone but I really hope we get to see some indepth look at gameplay soon because I'm getting worried this is gonna be all sizzle and no steak.

They're gonna announce a gameplay trailer and it's just gonna be the scorpion collecting minigame from 1 completely unchanged again.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rageaholic posted:

Should I get the 8BitDo Pro 2 even though I have the SN30 Pro+ already? It looks pretty samey, but I do like that toggle for the Switch (the only thing I'll be using it for).
I think the main improvements are as advertised. So if you wouldn't make much use of the paddle buttons or the multiple profiles, I'm not sure there's enough improvement otherwise over the Pro+ to be worth it. The slider switch to change between Switch and Xinput mode is nice, but changing between those modes on the Pro+ is hardly difficult.

Personally the profiles and smartphone control are a big deal for me as there's a handful of third-person 3D Switch games that don't support horizontal camera inversion, so being able to quickly enable it on the controller is a win. Aside from that though the Pro+ does everything else I need it to do, so I'll be keeping it around.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ms. Pac Man is the original game mod. Learning the history of it is awesome.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/draculavoice/status/1379086438466256897?s=20

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tempura Wizard posted:

I'm enjoying it too but I have no idea what I'm even doing since unlike Tetris or Mario there's a bunch of stuff that I can't figure out. It really needs some documentation out there. Hopefully it won't be too long before someone figures out the exact mechanics and puts out a guide.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I only tried the demo for Fuser not expecting much, but after improving/ruining the demo tracks with All Star, I kind of want it now...

It loving amazing and if you enjoyed the demo buy it immediately. There is a ton of DLC and I’ve purchased all of it because even songs you hate (I’m looking at you All Star) have some redeeming qualities when broken down into parts.

The career mode is just a glorified tutorial, it sucks but teaches you a lot. The real meat is making sick mash-ups on your own. The weekly events usually have some theme that encourages you to do something you might not have otherwise considered.

Fuser is drat near my game of the generation. I’ll fool around with it off and on until my console dies.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Another discovery in the new firmware, apparently there's a Bluetooth audio driver now

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1379934036622249989

Nintendo might be working on native BT headphone support

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

repiv posted:

Another discovery in the new firmware, apparently there's a Bluetooth audio driver now

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1379934036622249989

Nintendo might be working on native BT headphone support

This is nintendo we're talking about; it'll be a new joycon/protroller with a headphone jack.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
About loving time. It has sucked having to plug in making GBS threads earphones into my Switch knowing that I have good quality wireless headphones right there. I even considered the adapter option, but held off in case they did something like this.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

This is nintendo we're talking about; it'll be a new joycon/protroller with a headphone jack.

Oh word?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you can't actually plug headphones into the jack though, you have to buy an additional peripheral that bridges the headphone jack to your phone, which you can then connect to bluetooth

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

you can't actually plug headphones into the jack though, you have to buy an additional peripheral that bridges the headphone jack to your phone, which you can then connect to bluetooth

Oh word?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mister Facetious posted:

The sticks will be smaller and drift sooner

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

Can we make an exclusive to Japan and a bundle with a game mostly so you have to import it if you want to use it? Like the 3DS right stick adapter.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a BOTW thread or can I ask my stupid questions here?

I think I have to abandon my horse and it's very sad.

night slime
May 14, 2014
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779975&pagenumber=987#lastpost

You can hold ZR or ZL or something and you can move your horse out of a tight spot

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You can always ask questions here, you're just more likely to get an answer and much faster if the game has a dedicated thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Thanks for the link!

Also: it's not that my horse is stuck really.... basically what happened was I rode him to the tower near Zora's domain where it's constantly raining and thundering and then I dismounted him and tried to climb the tower not really realizing that the surrounding flying enemies would absolutely gently caress me up in my attempt (not to mention I'd constantly be getting zapped by lightning and dying.

So now I'm in a spot where I'm revived at the base of the tower and I can't even get Link out of there alive, much less get back to the horse.

So all I can do is use my Sheikah Slate to travel back to a safe spot for now. I presume later I'll have gear that will grant me some sort of lightning immunity at which point I can retrieve dear Posty.