Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Azran posted:

Oh, I'd no idea NoClip had made a video on Hades. :allears: Unrelated to that, I checked who the voice actors were and Zagreus is voiced by the composer? Talk about talented, jeez.

If you want to add even more talent to that, he's also the fastest speedrunner of the game on the dev team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKepf4jyn4o&t=660s (also he voices Skelly as well as Zag)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/deathloop/status/1380160357872861185

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I never had strong hopes for Deathloop to begin with. Thankfully it'll probably be on Game Pass.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That's a shame, I'm really looking forward to Deathloop

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

I never had strong hopes for Deathloop to begin with. Thankfully it'll probably be on Game Pass.

Did you like Dishonoured/Prey at all, because it's looking to be another one of that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Did you like Dishonoured/Prey at all, because it's looking to be another one of that.

Prey was amazing, but I didn't play the Dishonoured games. I know this is the same dev, but Deathloop has been in development hell and constantly delayed. I'm just having flashbacks to Cyberpunk, and the countless other constantly delayed at the last minute games that finally released and were disappointing. I'll play it either way since it'll likely be on Gamepass.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

The biggest issue with d:os, a game that I love, to me, is this poo poo

The maps have very specifically gated level zones, but with zero signposting for where they are or the appropriate way to progress. Like if you just keep walking down the beach you'll go through your level 1 area, dip into the level 2, oops all level 6 and you're dead. You like need to have that image open on another monitor so you know where you're basically allowed to be going at any point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor posted:

The maps have very specifically gated level zones, but with zero signposting for where they are or the appropriate way to progress. Like if you just keep walking down the beach you'll go through your level 1 area, dip into the level 2, oops all level 6 and you're dead. You like need to have that image open on another monitor so you know where you're basically allowed to be going at any point.
Also those hyphenated level areas will kill you. Sadly, D:OS2 kept that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The level-gated zones wouldn’t be that bad except some of them aren’t signposted very well. Gothic 1 and 2 already had this figured out, there were big swings in difficulty but it was obvious when you were entering a new area.

Especially weird since the east side of the map is perfectly readable- trapped ruins zone and everything on fire zone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had trouble with D:OS2 because I would spend what felt like forever in a battle only to lose it and wonder if I was under leveled or just bad.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You can evac from battle at basically any time in D:OS so I think mainly you're meant to stumble into a way too hard battle and flee while making a mental note not to go back there yet.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Prokhor posted:

I dunno, I remember leaving from Cyseal straight into that level 6 area and managing to overcome that despite the level difference was what made me 100% fall in love with the game. As pentyne wrote Larian have perfected the turn-based fantasy tactics game, despite their weaknesses in other areas.

Man, I wish Divinity: Fallen Heroes hadn't been put on eternal hiatus. i want my divinity xcom goddamnit

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I said come in! posted:

Prey was amazing, but I didn't play the Dishonoured games. I know this is the same dev, but Deathloop has been in development hell and constantly delayed. I'm just having flashbacks to Cyberpunk, and the countless other constantly delayed at the last minute games that finally released and were disappointing. I'll play it either way since it'll likely be on Gamepass.

Deathloop looks far less ambitious what Cyberpunk was going for tho. I think it is far more likely that Arkane is struggling because of COVID-19 than that it is a horribly mismanaged project.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The pick-your-own-games Fanatical All Stars Bundle has quite a number of good games in it. It starts at (if I converted correctly) US$1 for one game, but there's quite a few that's good to get,. which include:
- Steamworld Dig
- Deadly Premonition
- Beholder 1, Beholder 2
- Homeworld Remastered
- Sim City 4

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Artelier posted:

The pick-your-own-games Fanatical All Stars Bundle has quite a number of good games in it. It starts at (if I converted correctly) US$1 for one game, but there's quite a few that's good to get,. which include:
- Steamworld Dig
- Deadly Premonition
- Beholder 1, Beholder 2
- Homeworld Remastered
- Sim City 4

Sweet deal, thanks.
Now what cheats do I need to make deadly premonitions less painful?

Send me a PM if you want Steamworld Dig, didn't know I already had it.

tripwood fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 8, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, you might need cheats just to get Deadly Premonition to launch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the combat is, uh, not good. so you might want to just go for one hit kills or invincibility so you can spend more time on the weird investigation part which is what anyone likes about the game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I tried playing Sim City 4 a couple years ago and after an hour of tinkering it still had severe graphical issues making it unplayable.

I think the only reason EA is still letting it be sold is because Sim City 2013 was a disappointment.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there a Troubleshooter thread? Because I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff and things the game has thrown at me in the first couple hours. I'm playing on Normal and in my first four or five missions, my main dudes block or dodge probably 75% of attacks against them and when they do get hit, they lose a totally insignificant portion of their HP. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to increase the difficulty, here--I'm not exactly a professional XCOM player or anything but this is certainly not my first SRPG--or if it's going to ramp up. And should I just not pay too much attention to all the stuff and things for a while? I feel like there's not much I can do with the mastery gobbledygook right now but it's hard to tell if it's because it hasn't opened up or I'm missing something fundamental about the way it's supposed to work. What the heck is a training manual and why would I want more of them...?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

OzFactor posted:

Is there a Troubleshooter thread? Because I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff and things the game has thrown at me in the first couple hours. I'm playing on Normal and in my first four or five missions, my main dudes block or dodge probably 75% of attacks against them and when they do get hit, they lose a totally insignificant portion of their HP. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to increase the difficulty, here--I'm not exactly a professional XCOM player or anything but this is certainly not my first SRPG--or if it's going to ramp up. And should I just not pay too much attention to all the stuff and things for a while? I feel like there's not much I can do with the mastery gobbledygook right now but it's hard to tell if it's because it hasn't opened up or I'm missing something fundamental about the way it's supposed to work. What the heck is a training manual and why would I want more of them...?

There is both a Troubleshooter thread, and a thread that will tell you if games have a thread

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

OzFactor posted:

The thread is here

If I remember the game does start out easy but ramps up after a while, ho0w far in are you?

Training manuals are a cost you pay to unequip masteries.

I wouldn't worry too much about masteries right away, let your characters level up and open more slots and also get some better ones as drops.

Stuff and things will be unlocking the whole drat game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Something Awful Games: There's a thread for (if there's a thread for) that.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
A ha! Heading to that thread, thanks friends.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cozy Grove just released and looks cute and chill as hell. I'm still grooving on Dorf Romantik for my chill fix, but does anyone have any thoughts on Cozy Grove?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Cozy Grove just released and looks cute and chill as hell. I'm still grooving on Dorf Romantik for my chill fix, but does anyone have any thoughts on Cozy Grove?

This loks super neat! I hope it's good!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

I'm really looking forward to Deathloop, but I'm certain that I'll need to upgrade my computer to run it. I don't mind news of a delay - the worst thing which can happen to a game is being pushed out before its ready.

Prokhor posted:

I'm pretty sure you can see the levels of enemies before you engage them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mierenneuker posted:

Deathloop looks far less ambitious what Cyberpunk was going for tho. I think it is far more likely that Arkane is struggling because of COVID-19 than that it is a horribly mismanaged project.

Yeah I think most of the development has been in the Lyon studio too, and France has been hit hard by lockdowns

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I expected that announcement to be that it got got by epic for a year so I’m glad it’s just a four month delay instead.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Did you like Into the Breach? This sure looks like it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anno posted:

Did you like Into the Breach? This sure looks like it.

That game is currently running a kickstarter!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

StrixNebulosa posted:

That game is currently running a kickstarter!

Ah nice, thanks. That’s a good amount more information. I really like the look of it.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Fresh from the year 2000: Siege of Avalon: Anthology!

I'm not sure if Siege of Avalon is even well known enough to be a cult classic, but it is an underappreciated cRPG that had an obscure release. It was originally episodic, with the first episode being free and the rest having to be bought directly from the developer's website. It's a game with tons of memorable writing, with an interesting setting, characters, and storyline. It's doesn't imitating other cRPGs at the time, mixing large amounts of dialogue with real-time combat. It's not terribly well balanced, but it is fun. For example speed is an attribute you can build up in the game to absurd amounts, becoming a whirling dervish of destruction. You'll probably end up with a brokenly powerful character by the end. I'm thrilled that it got a a re-release.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They've been posting some short, little weapon videos for that Streum On Necromunda game and I dunno, it kinda looks to have the same problem as Space Hulk wrt gunplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un4VCoWH2ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCnFiO4sELw
Was EYE a fluke? Anyway, my money's on Darktide for 40k shooting.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm pretty sure you can see the levels of enemies before you engage them.
It's still asinine. It's one thing to put high-level enemies behind a zone transition, it's another to be in a level 2 city and walk out the gates to explore and WHOOPS now you're in a fight with level 7 enemies that were just offscreen and will wreck your poo poo in moments. Especially when there's no real rhyme or reason why this one skeleton to the northwest is level 3, but this skeleton in the southeast is level 8.

I really want to like the D:OS games, but no matter how much everyone praises the combat for being super-tactical, I just can't get over how unpredictable it is. It feels like every action you can take will result in unintended consequences that somehow gently caress you over. Hey that guy seems dangerous, let's hit him with a lightning bolt and stun him! Except whoops that also caused him to bleed a tiny bit, and now the blood is electrified and connected to the pool of water my archer is standing in and now he's stunned too. Oh poo poo my guy is on fire, let's cast rain and put him out! Well that worked, but now the battlefield is filled with smoke and none of my dudes can do anything because they can't see, unless they stand in some pixel-perfect location that's impossible to predict. Hey let's cast fireball on that big group of undead! Wait, what do you mean you didn't know that this one undead enemy releases flammable gas on damage, which has now exploded and caused a chain reaction that somehow resulted in all of your party members getting gibbed? It's so tactical, how could you not see that result coming?

It doesn't help that the combat is free-move instead of on a grid, so there's a bunch of time spent tediously getting that fireball radius into the pixel-perfect location so that you don't accidentally hit something you don't want to, or ending up with an enemy juuuuuuuuuust out of line-of-sight because you clicked slightly off and used up the .00001 AP that would have gotten you the perfect shot. And it's even harder to tell where surfaces actually begin and end, especially gases, so any AoE ability is a giant loving dice roll on whether your lightning bolt will hit one guy, or clip a puddle and somehow electrify half the battlefield. If there was an easier way to see the outcome of abilities I'd be all over it, but as it is, every single click had me tensing up and wondering if I was about to gently caress myself.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Every gate in Cyseal except the newbie one is guarded by soldiers that tell you not to go out cause you are not ready. That thing about stumbling into a deadly enemy and being doomed is pure fantasy even without considering you can teleport out of fights.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will say that my experience having played through divinity original sin 2 twice start to finish is the game would be greatly improved by an "undo last move" button. or a way to plan a move and see ranges without having to commit to it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

They've been posting some short, little weapon videos for that Streum On Necromunda game and I dunno, it kinda looks to have the same problem as Space Hulk wrt gunplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un4VCoWH2ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCnFiO4sELw
Was EYE a fluke? Anyway, my money's on Darktide for 40k shooting.

SpaceHulk's problem was that guns felt slow and you moved slower. This feels just right to me, you can move around, dodge stuff, empty a mag and peace out with you OK Legs!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I expected that announcement to be that it got got by epic for a year so I’m glad it’s just a four month delay instead.

I don't think Microsoft needs Epic's money, I don't see any Bethesda games going Epic exclusive from now on.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's a review I found on the Switch version. Most of it should apply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrt0UN7pROk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PowerBeard posted:

SpaceHulk's problem was that guns felt slow and you moved slower. This feels just right to me, you can move around, dodge stuff, empty a mag and peace out with you OK Legs!

It's other problem was that the guns all sounded anemic though, which looks to be a thing with this one too.