Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
GODZILLA VS KONG MATCH 8 7.41%
TAY VS BUNNY MATCH 52 48.15%
DARBY VS DRAKE MATCH 28 25.93%
MOX AND BUCKS VS BULLET CLUB MATCH 13 12.04%
HANGMAN VS MAX MATCH 7 6.48%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Butch like as a guy. I like him and Blade as a tag team. His match with Mox, for reasons that are wholly out of his control, was real bad though.

I get not watching Dark, but it is actually throwing to not watch Elevation. Elevation actually has stories and promos and segments now. It's a step above. Should be shorter is all, but when I see a Jazmin Allure match, I know what they're doing. Lot of folks they hired need training. Even the bigger names like Swole need seasoning. There's only one way to get that. I still think once the pandemic is over (lol) we'll see them get cut back since TK won't feel responsible for feeding the entire Florida indie circuit.

Lamuella posted:

This would have been a good to very good Dynamite were it not for how... off the pacing felt. Lots of good segments but they felt like they were taking place in the wrong order.

As a very small example of this: Tay vs Bunny should have immediately followed Drake vs Allin. You had the HFO confront Allin on the stage, you have Bunny get separated and stand alone, then you had Tay attack her. The next logical step is for Tay to roll her into the ring and start the match.

This I do agree with. I have no idea why the Inner Circle segment wasn't just all in one go. Shave some winks off of Jericho's promo. Have the Pinnacle run down to start the beatdown. Have Tyson show up to even the odds (Tully totally counts). Then you can have the women's match after the TNT title match with no issue. Didn't get the pace of this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I see a wrestler in JD Drake that's potentially vader or gorilla monsoon-level in being a meaty dude that's more quick and agile than they look, that's far from boring.

he did a roll from the corner that took me by surprise, and a moonsault that was pretty drat effortless

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I kind of miss when not everybody needed to be on TV every week. I remember not so long ago, you could go a week without The Bucks or Mox or some other big name regular being on the show or even being mentioned and it was fine because that week's show was about telling other stories. Now it kind of feels like we're getting the same crew on TV every week and there isn't as much space to stretch out and take a breath on certain people/stories to allow the smaller, mid-card stories to be told.

Maybe that's not actually happening and just my perception of things coming off of a show that I didn't really like a ton. Next week looks pretty stacked, though, so I'm hopeful that I'll enjoy next week a bit more.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Alaois posted:

are you sure you like wrestling

yes, I am sorry I do not share the same opinions as you do about every aspect of it.

enigmahfc posted:

Obvioulsy, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
12 ppvs sounds like hell. 4-6 is fine. I’d rather 4 with some smaller shows like Fyter Fest peppered in @ like 2-3 hours max, just with no commercials. Once they start touring those shows could all be at Daily’s Place while the normal PPVs take place elsewhere.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

blunt posted:

I'd still watch Dark if it was the 45min show with a meaningful match it used to be as opposed to the 2 hour jobber marathon it's become.

I'd be okay with Elevation being the 45min show with a meaningful match, but jobber parade Dark is perfect, imo. The low stakes make it a perfect vehicle for Taz and Ex to bullshit around and that's like 65% of the appeal to me.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Lamuella posted:

As a very small example of this: Tay vs Bunny should have immediately followed Drake vs Allin. You had the HFO confront Allin on the stage, you have Bunny get separated and stand alone, then you had Tay attack her. The next logical step is for Tay to roll her into the ring and start the match.

Instead we had an Inner Circle interview segment that turned into a beatdown, followed by a Britt Baker interview segment. By this point all the energy from the earlier attack has burned off and you have to start cold again.

Yeah this is another great point to throw on the heap.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
4 PPVs a year is just fine. It makes them feel special. Having the 'special editions' of Dynamite like The Winter Is Coming and Bash at the Beach and Jericho Cruise (if that can ever happen again....) in between those 4 PPV's is the best.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Rarity posted:

Tay Conti's progress is going really well if she's able to get a match that good out of Allie

lol Allie held up her end better than Britt ever has in a non-gimmick match.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I really liked the Jurassic Express vs Bear Country match even if it got a little sloppy sometimes. Sometimes you just wanna see a buncha big guys throwing themselves at each other, and I appreciated that Bear Country has multiple "I'm gonna toss my giant partner at you" moves.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MorningMoon posted:

This is gonna be the worst thursday-sunday

Not an empty quote.

J-Ru said it best - AEW's high floor beats WWE's low ceiling. Takeover might have been the better show, but even flipping to it during commercials made my eyes hurt from its production.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

AEW needs 6 hours of cable tv every single week and 15 ppvs a year, this will be good for the company and we know that’s true because of previous examples, holding patterns because of Circumstances is unacceptable

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ganso Bomb posted:

I kind of miss when not everybody needed to be on TV every week. I remember not so long ago, you could go a week without The Bucks or Mox or some other big name regular being on the show or even being mentioned and it was fine because that week's show was about telling other stories. Now it kind of feels like we're getting the same crew on TV every week and there isn't as much space to stretch out and take a breath on certain people/stories to allow the smaller, mid-card stories to be told.

Maybe that's not actually happening and just my perception of things coming off of a show that I didn't really like a ton. Next week looks pretty stacked, though, so I'm hopeful that I'll enjoy next week a bit more.

I do think they’re trying to jam too much into every show while still trying to give time to their bigger guys, and also have lots of wrestling matches, but people do take weeks off. Maybe it feels less like that right now given we’ve had a lot of Bucks / Kenny / Mox with this storyline, but the top guys have taken time off recently. Jericho / Inner circle was out for a week or two and Cody wasn’t there last night.

It also feels like they’re trying to tell stories more with promos rather than matches more than when they first started. I don’t love that.

I do really love the recent spate of trios matches though. Good way to tell stories. Gimme last night over the non-match version of that story beat any day of the week.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

CobiWann posted:

Not an empty quote.

J-Ru said it best - AEW's high floor beats WWE's low ceiling. Takeover might have been the better show, but even flipping to it during commercials made my eyes hurt from its production.

This felt like a "base level" kind of Dynamite episode, and that means it was still better than 90% of the shows I choose to watch. AEW has set a standard to the point that even when I am not totally into the match or wrestler, I trust AEW enough to keep it 'good'.

I also liked Sting saying to Archer, "yeah, you should be killing people each and every week, dude! Let's see it!"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope the basic idea of PAC v. Omega comes true because that's still a terrific pairing, could be an absolute banger. A tiny part of me wants PAC as champ so loving badly because he might be in the top 5 wrestlers in the company alongside his two buddies.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Allie looked amazing in that match, and her selling was incredibly unique and fit her perfectly.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Heel Bucks having the SCU retirement match makes a lot of sense.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pylons posted:

Heel Bucks having the SCU retirement match makes a lot of sense.

I think that's happening for sure. Would be cool for all 4 of them, plus you could push the Bucks even further into heeldom by having them be absolute jerkasses about retiring SCU.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ganso Bomb posted:

The problem is PPVs - you have to build to them, and if you don't build to them, you get the WWE move of "well they didn't start building this until two weeks before hand, how can this be an Important PPV match!" Double Or Nothing is still six weeks-ish out, so a lot of time to go, in my opinion, but that's how long stories go, they take a while!

The other side of that is with more PPVs, you can "end" more things, and cycle in different people and different storylines, but then, if everyone's important and getting time, then nobody's important. Maybe a second show alleviates this, maybe it just creates ten matches for a PPV and one gets short shrift and everyone gets mad about it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Allie looked amazing in that match, and her selling was incredibly unique and fit her perfectly.

Yeah, absolutely not a carry job by Tay which I sorta expected it to be going in.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Meltzer got into so many heads.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1379977552907923457?s=21

“You can’t feature anybody when you’re featuring everybody.”

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Alaois posted:

how the gently caress is eddie kingston and jd drake's wrestling boring but you love the loving butcher

jd drake being boring is not a take i expected to see. Ive thought all his matches have been real entertaining. The big guy can go

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I Like Allie, and Tay is obviously great. I really want the belt on Tay, but the right move is probably putting it on Baker.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Duke Pukem posted:

jd drake being boring is not a take i expected to see. Ive thought all his matches have been real entertaining. The big guy can go

He is unique to the roster too. Nobody has his look or his promo ability. He targets a new type of fan as well that is needed for AEW. The blue collar bad rear end speaks to a lot of different sections of people!

He’s very valuable to AEW.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I can think of another big bellied wrestler, that don't look like an atha-lete that was a hero to the working class, daddy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ICR posted:

Is the complaint that there's too many people on TV or not enough people on TV?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Kunabomber posted:

I can think of another big bellied wrestler, that don't look like an atha-lete that was a hero to the working class, daddy

Yeah, Keith Lee was pretty awesome before he vanished.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, Keith Lee was pretty awesome before he vanished.

oh man don't remind me :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

explosivo posted:

Is the complaint that there's too many people on TV or not enough people on TV?

yes

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kunabomber posted:

Yeah, Otis was pretty awesome before Vince decided to take away his best friend, his girlfriend, and his briefcase all at once.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I liked Dynamite last night, although the thing that got me most hyped up was the Best Friends coming out with a nod to continuity and challenging for a Best Friends/Death Triangle match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

oh, in case anyone cares, Anthony Ogogo really did have a Subway ad in the UK nine years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ4EHvoPwbY

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

I Like Allie, and Tay is obviously great. I really want the belt on Tay, but the right move is probably putting it on Baker.

This is such a sad indictment of how they've used Shida

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Lamuella posted:

oh, in case anyone cares, Anthony Ogogo really did have a Subway ad in the UK nine years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ4EHvoPwbY

Holly Bleasdale is All Elite

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I did very much enjoy Shida supporting Tay and grinning as she realized Tay was going to win that match.

I'd be down for Shida losing it to Tay and being a mentor figure to her. Shida's fought basically everybody, I understand the hesitancy to put her in more title feuds for a while.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When I'm talking about roster bloat I don't give a poo poo about who's on elevation or dark. They're youtube shows with stakes never getting too high above a certain point. Go nuts with those--feature 100 people on elevation and dark.

It's more that I'd like Dynamite to be a bit more focused and snappy, and this week's wasn't. I'm not hitting a panic button, or yelling about Meltz, I'm just...I dunno, let's clean it up for the one TV show most of the general audience is going to catch from this promotion.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

From the discourse, it seems as if AEW cannot recover from its current problems so we should wrap it up...AEWailures?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ICR posted:

This chart is going to be used as a GOTCHA! but I can't take it seriously when it's counting -1 as a featured wrestler last night.

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is such a sad indictment of how they've used Shida

How so? She's had a title reign that's approaching a year and she's beaten everybody. Britt's improved a lot, her promos are great, and her last match on Dynamite was an all-timer. It...makes sense that people would want to see the title move from Shida to Baker.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

TV Zombie posted:

From the discourse, it seems as if AEW cannot recover from its current problems so we should wrap it up...AEWailures?

AEW was dead the moment those Creepers threw some bad punches, you can never recover from a disaster like that. That's why Dark Order is also dead and buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

Holly Bleasdale is All Elite

Holly Bleasdale is backstage at NXT UK. A German wrestler asks her "So what sport do you do?"

She says "I'm a pole vaulter"

He replied "Really? I thought you were English"