Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Evil Eagle posted:

There are extremely strong Para/Thunder Khezu dual blades in GU

That would explain why I didn't see them, I played Charge Blade/LBG in GU. Maybe when I eventually pick it back up I'll make them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

lets hang out posted:

Charm tables let's gooooooooooooo

They are calling it a bug. I want to forget everything about charm tables, they were only made okay when someone discovered you could set the system clock to a time and date that gave you like 10 seconds more than you needed to load the game and press create character to lock in the second best table or something which still was drat good. Way better than having to speed run the first half of the game to find out if you were on a lovely table that locked you out of important skills.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does buddy level/equipment and/or palico type have any effect on Meowcinaries or the submarine thing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Does buddy level/equipment and/or palico type have any effect on Meowcinaries or the submarine thing?

Level definitely does. The argosy submarines, for example, have different types of bargaining bonuses you can activate depending on the buddy's level.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

For the Meowcenaries, you have 5 levels of effectiveness and the higher level buddies you send, the better/more rewards you get. I think even at the highest level of buddies you can only get up to level 4 though, and in order to get level 5 you need to use the consumable.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love how ridiculous the argosy is in Rise. Dispatching a team of dogs incapable of language in submarines to bargain and trade on my behalf.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love how ridiculous the argosy is in Rise. Dispatching a team of dogs incapable of language in submarines to bargain and trade on my behalf.

To be fair, if I saw a dog emerging from a submarine I would give it whatever it wanted

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pablo Nergigante posted:

To be fair, if I saw a dog emerging from a submarine I would give it whatever it wanted

Just a little note on their collar that's like "may I have some honey, please?" while they sit there and pant and wag their tail. :3:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Just a little note on their collar that's like "may I have some honey, please?" while they sit there and pant and wag their tail. :3:

Exactly. You'd have to be heartless to resist

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

Look, just because they don't talk to you...

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Xad posted:

Look, just because they don't talk to you...

Even if they don't - what's stopping them from trading with people anyway?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/clever-dog-buys-cookies-every-day-with-leaf-currency/Y5HZQMG7PTAUNN6HQAJWVP3WNY/

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

boz posted:

Maybe they'll give each weapon a 4th skill to inflict wounding like in Iceborne, wouldn't that be great?

gently caress no. Wounding was the worst.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Snake Maze posted:

So is there any downside to water strike, the hammer’s third switch skill? It seems like a straight upgrade - side swipe was already a move I felt like you only ever used because you wanted the attacks after it. Water strike works just as well for that, it doesn’t seem any slower, but it also gives you a counter for roars and the like.

It's ever so slightly slower than the attack it replaces, but otherwise no.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

And Tyler Too! posted:

gently caress no. Wounding was the worst.

Yeah like, there are ways it could've been done and done well but it certainly was not.

Plus, monster riding gives nearly the same good brain feel as wallbanging.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I always get some visceral sick pleasure in my brain when I haul the monster away from pubbies on a two monster quest to go beat up the other monster until it's ready to mount and beat up the first objective monster. Like, it's the most effective way to do mounts, but it probably pisses people off who just want you to bang it into the wall and drop it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Filthy Haiku posted:

I always get some visceral sick pleasure in my brain when I haul the monster away from pubbies on a two monster quest to go beat up the other monster until it's ready to mount and beat up the first objective monster. Like, it's the most effective way to do mounts, but it probably pisses people off who just want you to bang it into the wall and drop it.

I did that the other day. I felt awful about dragging the monster out of the zone, but the 'other monster' was Rajang and it needed someone to slap it awake and ride it until it face-cannoned that Anjanath. :colbert:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Just switched to GS, really enjoying the weighty feel. Any tips for someone new to GS? Also just got to HR, cool to be able to go through all the monsters again - are there many new ones exclusive to HR though?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Just switched to GS, really enjoying the weighty feel. Any tips for someone new to GS? Also just got to HR, cool to be able to go through all the monsters again - are there many new ones exclusive to HR though?

Plenty of new stuff, there's even a new end boss when you finish up the current HR stuff.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I did that the other day. I felt awful about dragging the monster out of the zone, but the 'other monster' was Rajang and it needed someone to slap it awake and ride it until it face-cannoned that Anjanath. :colbert:

Why feel guilty? If pubs don’t want to use the fun method to hunt, that’s their problem. I’m going to smash these monsters together like I’m 6 and they’re made of plastic while I make comic book noises NYEOWNNN CRSHHH BKMMM

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I get salty when there are shiny monster bits on the ground when it's ready to be mounted and I seemingly automount the mon. What do I do? Run to the other side of the map to beat up the other mon or run into the wall a few times then pick up the shinies? I suppose riding to the other mon will result in even more shinies.

Leaving items behind hurts my soul. Even if I'm leaving them to likely go make an even larger pile of shinies elsewhere.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Normal vs Long Funlance for a full burst lifestyle: Do you just pick the GL with the highest shelling level? So Normal 3 over Long 2 for eg?

Long seems a bit more flexible in general, but sometimes a higher shell level Normal is available.

E: Found this and related comparison vids that show Long vs Normal full burst is basically a wash at the same shelling levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79R4HMb2u0

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 8, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

every single shiny drop you left on the ground was a plate or other, equivalent, rare drop

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I fought mag for the first time

https://twitter.com/Cythrin/status/1379990388660834308

10/10, would hunt again

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Wrist Watch posted:

I fought mag for the first time

https://twitter.com/Cythrin/status/1379990388660834308

10/10, would hunt again

good you are gonna fight him a lot. Used in a good deco, your gonna want several of them too most likely.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's ever so slightly slower than the attack it replaces, but otherwise no.

Have to test when I get home, or maybe someone else can, but I'm pretty sure it comes out slightly faster if you combo into it. Like if you do lvl 1 charge hit -> charged swing -> water strike I think it comes out faster than side swipe.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Don't feel like you need to do a full charge for every attack, you can do a lot of hit and run until you get a big opening. The wire bug dodge that sheaths your weapon and gives a buff is beyond useful. There is a tackle you can do to cancel a charge, press A while charging. And you can jump off the palamute while dashing by just pressing B and get to third level charge regularly. This counts for the wire bug jump as well.

I didn't like the starting switch skills for GS that much. The jump attack is meh and uses two bugs up.. The forward dash into charge has crazy hyper armor into a follow up Rage Slash which is my bread and butter.

The wire bug really makes the greatsword absurdly mobile.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm sort of sick of riding mons already. It really fucks with the scale of the fights and makes everything feel a lot smaller.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 8, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Someone running a monster across the map really sucks if you didn't bring a palamute.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wildtortilla posted:

I get salty when there are shiny monster bits on the ground when it's ready to be mounted and I seemingly automount the mon. What do I do? Run to the other side of the map to beat up the other mon or run into the wall a few times then pick up the shinies? I suppose riding to the other mon will result in even more shinies.

Leaving items behind hurts my soul. Even if I'm leaving them to likely go make an even larger pile of shinies elsewhere.

The shinies seem to stay there for a bit, so I just usually go back to the spot after dismounting the monster.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

stev posted:

I'm sort of sick of riding mons already. It really fucks with the scale of the fights and makes everything feel a lot smaller.
Its definitely the same kind of feel as hunter arts and wounding for me. Like, that's cute, please don't bring it back

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I think I have HR phobia right now: the fear of running out of Monster Hunter things to do. So I'm finding more and more excuses to putter around in LR.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

v1ld posted:

Normal vs Long Funlance for a full burst lifestyle: Do you just pick the GL with the highest shelling level? So Normal 3 over Long 2 for eg?

Long seems a bit more flexible in general, but sometimes a higher shell level Normal is available.

That seems to be the current theorycraft wisdom yes. Long / Normal / Wide all have a single lance that gets level 5 shelling (Being the Howlitzer pet line for long, the Rathian line for normal, and the cornpopper for wide) so those are going to be your go to for full bursts, shelling, staking and the like. Expect more level 5s after the next patch. Not sure on the damage rotations or anything for the extra damage you get for swinglance by having a weapon with better raw but l4 shelling - but since Wide is almost entirely shelling damage pretty much all other weapon considerations aside from shelling level are moot.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I wonder what the pie chart of wirebug recoveries that helped vs wirebug recoveries where you eat poo poo and you should've just taken the invulnerability that comes with being hit looks like.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

v1ld posted:

I think I have HR phobia right now: the fear of running out of Monster Hunter things to do. So I'm finding more and more excuses to putter around in LR.

LR is the extended tutorial. Play the drat game. If you build every set of armor you easily have a thousand hours worth of content already in the game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Saint Freak posted:

I wonder what the pie chart of wirebug recoveries that helped vs wirebug recoveries where you eat poo poo and you should've just taken the invulnerability that comes with being hit looks like.

Some enemies have juggles where they skip you in to the air and attack you on your way down, which is super useful for recoveries. Also you can wirebug out of the followups to grab attacks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

90% of my recoveries end with me flying into another attack. It's great.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

Its definitely the same kind of feel as hunter arts and wounding for me. Like, that's cute, please don't bring it back

I think that riding might be improved by limiting how far you can take the monster - if you get bucked off when trying to leave the current area, then it'd focus the mechanic more. I like it better than monster mounting at least, since mounting felt like just a very long and elaborate knock-down when you're playing solo. At least solo monster riding you get some damage in from bashing into a wall.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think that riding might be improved by limiting how far you can take the monster - if you get bucked off when trying to leave the current area, then it'd focus the mechanic more. I like it better than monster mounting at least, since mounting felt like just a very long and elaborate knock-down when you're playing solo. At least solo monster riding you get some damage in from bashing into a wall.

This would suck since going off to wyvern ride the other monsters and bring them to the main fight for extra damage and shinies is cool and good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It just means invading monsters aren't a threat or a problem to be dealt with, they're just a guaranteed source of a shiny pinata.

At the very least it should be a lot harder to ride non target monsters than it is at the moment. Sometimes it's literally one hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I tried to play some Sekiro the other day and MonHun brain really hosed me up I couldn't even figure out how to use items right at first.