Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Somewhere, someone's having a massive heart attack and these idiot children are costing them precious minutes.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (July 27, 1991)

Johnny Aztec posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat!

It figures that Axa finally gets a story where she gets to be a badass fighter, and it's bogged down by stupid assholes.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

That's positively Larson-esque. Even Adams-esque.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Samovar posted:

That's positively Larson-esque. Even Adams-esque.

Yes it’s weirdly surreal in a non-Ballard Street way, which is usually surreal in a more crazy kind of way.

Like it tho.

I’ll try and post Ballard Street at least twice a week from here on.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (August 14-20, 2000)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/7/01

Brenda Starr 3/25-27/46

Chilblains! There's a word you don't see much of these days.

Smokey Stover 6/2/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All the K and K dailies were humorous. The weekly was dumb.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Little My bringing in the important facts.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 8, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows Concludes! Featuring Little Claire, Lottie's new hairdo, and the glimpse of a new mystery!

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store

Also from the webpage.

John Allison posted:

Good to see Little Claire, Bad Machinery favourite and Lottie’s Wicked Things co-star, briefly back. I’m afraid you will have to wait to find out exactly what her wig-blowing news is but we will get to the Great British Bump-Off eventually.

The original version of this page had a note about the fate of John Cloake (left to perish in the snow earlier in the story), in the end I threw it away so we could see Claire, but here’s the relevant piece of the page to reassure Cloake fans…

Here is the panel he mentions:

I don't know when (or if) we'll see The Great British Bump-Off. After Author Unknown?, which starts next week, it looks like Allison is doing another Steeple story. He also has been hinting part two of Destroy History: NEMS. I hope that The Great British Bump-Off doesn't go the way of Babysitter of the Year, a proposed Lottie story from 2016 that never materialized.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why is Lottie's orange shaped like a lemon? OR why is she peeling an orange lemon? Is this a British fruit? I learn so much from this comic

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Why is Lottie's orange shaped like a lemon? OR why is she peeling an orange lemon? Is this a British fruit? I learn so much from this comic

Now that brexit's done and they're out from under the yoke of EU bureaucrats, British fruit can be any shape it wants to be.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "14 -Jucika's Stiletto Heels."

"Jucika and the New Book".

Alright, time for some Jucika lore. There are several strips where this gentleman appears with this consistent design and acts the part of Jucika's husband. Live together, go to bed and get ready in the morning together, go on dates, etc. But there are also many more strips where Jucika is dating, flirting, living alone, etc. So what is the situation?

The answer is simple cartoon logic, of course. Jucika is married or single in the context of a strip for exactly as long as is needed to tell the joke.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "14 -Jucika's Stiletto Heels."

Using the tree and pole as panel borders is both inspired, and hosed with my head for a good while.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Twelve by Pies posted:

I want to say I also absolutely loathe Rose Is Rose. That little kid can gently caress right off with that lovely annoying baby talk. And I heard in a previous version of this thread that the Pascal kid used to talk like that too, and given he's one of the main characters I can only imagine how annoying that must have been.

Also watch out, Rose likes hot and spicy food containing...jalapenos, the hottest pepper known to man! How can her stomach endure such insane, hellish heat?

That is correct, in the early days Pascal had the speech impediment. Then they introduced the neighbor baby at some point and Pascal grew up slightly. Also you missed the feeder fetish stuff from the early days.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holbrook is leaking

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows Concludes! Featuring Little Claire, Lottie's new hairdo, and the glimpse of a new mystery!

Bottom left panel, Claire's a woman now, doing the standard Tackleford Woman Pose.

quote:

I hope that The Great British Bump-Off doesn't go the way of Babysitter of the Year, a proposed Lottie story from 2016 that never materialized.

I still believe in Robert Cop.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JethroMcB posted:

Bottom left panel, Claire's a woman now, doing the standard Tackleford Woman Pose.

And showing off the back of her knees to Lottie as well.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I like how she has a Smokey the Bear sticker on her laptop.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

One thing I like about Wallace is its willingness to play around with "joke rhythms" and break from the setup-setup-punchline system. Bits like this remind me more of sitcom TV writing than comic strips, and that's hard to pull off in this medium.

Curtis

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Good Listener posted:

I like how she has a Smokey the Bear sticker on her laptop.

Check out the band poster.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

howe_sam posted:

Using the tree and pole as panel borders is both inspired, and hosed with my head for a good while.
Yeah it took a second for me to realize that was a trash can on the pole, then I looked back and saw the other gutter was a tree and I realized what the artist was doing. Really very nice way to show the action of her walking along like that.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

YOU DO NOT loving HAVE TO FORGIVE YOUR DEAD ABUSER!!!

jesus loving christ.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Schwarzwald posted:

Check out the band poster.

Haha yes good.

Also at this point I think Saul in Mary Worth is just checking out that huge order of french fries. I do not blame him one bit, those look good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

howe_sam posted:

Great, now it's loving with mine!

In today's slightly extended Blueberry: The original Burning Man, or 'Remember, Blueberry, this is a sneaking mission...', or Crowe, master of subtlety

...so ends the first book! I hope you lot have been enjoying it, 'cause there's plenty more to come!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 20, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Aug. 20, 1944)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (May 17, 1991)

We learn more about Sauli's poor attempts at obfuscating the inspiration of his book, and some take a little explaining.
Muusiala/Mämmilä: while mämmi is a specific food, muusi in general means a mass of stuff reduced to a soft pulp, though usually it refers specifically to mashed potatoes.
Suuroma/Isopaljo: way back in the beginning I mentioned that Isopaljo literally means "bigmuch", and likewise Suuroma could be translated as "greatown".
Bank manager Hietanen: santa means sand and hieta means silt.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (May 17, 1991)

"I don't want to become my dad's mouthpiece" Ya look old enough to be his loving wife! The hideous ghoul teens becoming central members of the cast made me stop reading Mämmilä, plus the soap opera aspect is kind of robbing the story of a lot of likeability. It's realistic that everyone's flawed to one degree or another but it's not really fun to read, it's just kind of plodding soap opera misery.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

I couldn't not read "quality time" in a Hank Hill voice

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

YOU DO NOT loving HAVE TO FORGIVE YOUR DEAD ABUSER!!!

jesus loving christ.

No you don't have to but most traditional systems and quite a lot of modern evidence shows that it's not a bad idea. Forgiveness is for yourself not for them. Especially if they're dead.

It's not the same as condoning or whatever. But you are right, you absolutely don't have to.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Bloop posted:

No you don't have to but most traditional systems and quite a lot of modern evidence shows that it's not a bad idea. Forgiveness is for yourself not for them. Especially if they're dead.

It's not the same as condoning or whatever. But you are right, you absolutely don't have to.
I think it really hinges on what the survivor of abuse wants - and in this story, she wants to forgive him as a means of processing her emotions about the events and releasing them. Forgiveness can also be helpful because it explicitly means there's something to forgive, and places the blame for abuse squarely where it belongs, on the abuser.

Unfortunately, this story is a badly written slog so genuine theraputic methods that help quite a few people (and would likewise be ill-fitting for plenty of other people) are coming off as the Only Good Way To Process Abuse and as weirdly easy and mild to boot.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

So ends the Case Of The Good Boy. Archie was a good boy, of course, as was Pepper, but I think Jack was probably the good boy of the title.

Come back tomorrow for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The "oh gently caress it's Blaise" bug-out happens before they even get any screen time. Wonderful.