Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I'd love to see what kind of hard drugs those people are on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's absolutely nothing of substance to that article. Just "CP2077 has a lot of problems, I'd like CDPR to make a new game." Okay. With a provocative-sounding headline built for clicks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's weird that with 1.2 they basically decided to make almost the entire crafting skill tree useless by making components cheap as poo poo at vendors. Disasembling or reducing costs makes zero sense now since it's better to just buy cheap components you need directly instead of dealing witht the tedium. So these skills are on the level of "reduce fall damage by 5%" now:

Scrapper - Junk items are automatically disassembled.
Workshop - Disassembling items grants a (5% | 10% | 15%) chance to gain a free component of the same quality as the disassembled item.
Ex Nihilo - Grants a 20% chance to craft an item for free.
Efficient Upgrades - Grants a 10% chance to upgrade an item for free.
Cost Optimization - Reduces component cost of crafting items by (15% | 30%).
Let There Be Light - Reduces the component cost of upgrading items by (10% | 20%).
Waste Not Want Not - When disassembling an item, you get attached mods back.
Tune-Up - Allows you to upgrade lower quality components into higher quality ones.

On one hand it's good that the bad system was effectively scrapped but on the other hand we gained a new batch of dead skills that probably aren't getting replaced by something else.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Palpek posted:

Waste Not Want Not - When disassembling an item, you get attached mods back.

I still love that for getting good mods outta dumb looking clothes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

they are right

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
If CDPR decides to cut its financial losses by abandoning CP2077 then it will have FAR longer reaching consequences than fan disappointment.
Edit: I mean going from Dragon Age Origins Bioware to Anthem Bioware in one cycle.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Their marketing people (the ones with the bigger budget than the dev team) are likely saying the same thing.

It's hard to fix a brand that has been tainted in this way. The "actually it's good now" line is a hard sell to consumers no matter how true it becomes. We gave them our first impression, money up front. People feel like suckers asking them to do it again.

Pretty much the same reason evil companies like Blackwater rebrand themselves to Academi, despite being very transparent about it and why they do it. It works.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If they make a genuinely great game set in Night City, it will still sell like hot cakes. It's this game and CDPR that tainted by the terribad release, not the setting or world.

The brand that took a beating was CDPR not Cyberpunk. So their releasing a new Witcher isn't going to be very useful if it suffers from the same problems as this game - other than once again starting up the hype train of TW3 expectations, the very last thing they should do right now.

E: That article was straight up fanboyism - I like Witcher, I want more Witcher. Give. Now.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

tbh i dont want a new witcher game from them either since they will just gently caress that up too and add garbage on top of that whole series

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

They only have so much creative talent. They can either make another cyberpunk game or literally anything else. And anything else will probably be more profitable.

Sell the cyberpunk IP to Bethesda so that in 2026 I can be kleptomaniac V with a fatman that lives in a street shack stacked to the ceiling with stolen money and ammo.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Hell yeah, I can't wait for people to be insanely hyped over Witcher 4, this time it will be different guys, this is the real deal, the true RPG experience...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bholder posted:

Hell yeah, I can't wait for people to be insanely hyped over Witcher 4, this time it will be different guys, this is the real deal, the true RPG experience...

It will be a destiny clone where you team up with friends to fight monsters as we explore the origins of the Viper school or some nonsense.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
We'll find out soon whether or not CDPR is committed to Cyberpunk or not.

After Bioware released their shitstain of a mass effect game called andromeda, their dev team made a pass at fixing the bugs, but then quickly abandoned it afterwards in favor of developing Anthem :laffo:

I'll say that I still think Cyberpunk is in a much better state than andromeda was after launch, because at least the visuals are impressive and the characters aren't completely :downs:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Cyberpunk is a way better game than Andromeda on account of it actually has some good quests and memorable characters

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bholder posted:

Did you hear that Ciri may be the lead character?

That article... yeesh. What they want is another TW3 DLC.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the idea of the modern cdpr making something like W3 again is so laughable its insane lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If CDPR dump CP2077 what the gently caress else are they selling for the next several years while they develop an entirely new game? Where do they get money?

Plus yeah, they got a lot of bad PR from the bad launch, but going from "OK we messed up here is our long term (vague) plan to fix things" to "YOU GET NOTHING LOLZ BUT PLZ BUY IN 2024" a month later is just next level PR suicide.

They kind of have nothing else to do but try to fix it up and sell DLC while starting up the next thing that comes out years from now.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
CDPR basically did a "Game of Thrones season 8" speedrun with CP2077: they took something that was a highly anticipated part of the cultural zeitgeist (at least, gamer culture in this case), and proceeded to gently caress it up so badly that whenever people talk about it, it's usually "what could have been" or "wouldn't it have been better if they did ____", instead of "oh man that was amazing".

Though granted, at least with CP2077 you can mod some of that "what if" feeling in, unlike GoT season 8 (which retroactively made the earlier seasons bad, it was that terrible).

sean10mm posted:

If CDPR dump CP2077 what the gently caress else are they selling for the next several years while they develop an entirely new game? Where do they get money?

Plus yeah, they got a lot of bad PR from the bad launch, but going from "OK we messed up here is our long term (vague) plan to fix things" to "YOU GET NOTHING LOLZ BUT PLZ BUY IN 2024" a month later is just next level PR suicide.

They kind of have nothing else to do but try to fix it up and sell DLC while starting up the next thing that comes out years from now.

People keep saying this as though CP2077 is still selling like gangbusters. It isn't. Only the diehard fans are gonna put money down for CP2077 DLC and that's not likely enough to keep them goin. About all they can do is move on to something new, and hope that enough suckers will still part with their money for pre-orders.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Palpek posted:

Hmm ok thanks, I'll play around with it more then, I want to see what the reflex tree can do.

Made this list of mostly-Reflex cyberware for my respec, may be useful:

Highly recommend the Synaptic Accelerator/Reflex Tuner pair for the Nervous System slots over Kerenzikov if you're going with Sandevistan. And the QianT mk.4 not the mk.5, the former has just 15 secs of cooldown which is the most important feature. Permanent slo-mo isn't as useful as being able to trigger it quickly on demand, so no long cooldowns.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, should wait for the Q4 results and Q1 numbers to be published - it's a bit of an ask to wade through that. But, unless something more interesting comes up, I'll try to translate into human speak how much money is in the till and all things equal, is there any realism for major shifts in focus. Or whatever else speculation comes to mind.

At the very least I'm looking forward to the fiction around the numbers.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

sean10mm posted:

its kinda like they really really hosed up and this is going to be an extremely difficult thing to recover from

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

sean10mm posted:

If CDPR dump CP2077 what the gently caress else are they selling for the next several years while they develop an entirely new game?

Witcher 4? That would sell a ton of units even if it was garbage and someone else could think of new stuff to make for a 2027 or so release.

sean10mm posted:

They wouldn't actually say that. They would just slow down fixing and then once CP2077 fell off the media radar just take all the staff off of it.

It's what pretty much all the major publishers do with most of their games these days while still making bank.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CDPR still owns GOG so I don't think the Cyberpunk situation is comparable to Bioware with Andromeda/Anthem. They're still more in control of their own destiny.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

v1ld posted:

That article... yeesh. What they want is another TW3 DLC.

A new W3 DLC for that HD rework they have some company work on would be pretty good idea.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Katt posted:

Witcher 4? That would sell a ton of units even if it was garbage and someone else could think of new stuff to make for a 2027 or so release.

It would take years to make Witcher 4. That's like the whole problem!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

alex314 posted:

A new W3 DLC for that HD rework they have some company work on would be pretty good idea.

Yeah, that would be good.

I'm gonna hold off on playing the HD rework until I can get hold of an RTX card - i.e., never - but an actual story DLC that's good would be great as a dessert for the full run through I plan to do.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

sean10mm posted:

It would take years to make Witcher 4. That's like the whole problem!

I don't even know what that game could be after the Witcher 3. Unless they do something totally different in the universe.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
We'll know if the brand or genre is tainted if every other company halts in-progress plans to release a cyberpunk themed game to ride on a perceived success of Cyberpunk 2077.

The only good news I imagine from a budget standpoint now is that CDPR scaling back its marketing efforts should mean funding is more like 1:4 marketing:development. The marketing staff themselves I can only conjecture at what their staffing levels look like. On the other hand, even if we dumped $1B+ into development I don't think we'll be able to get a Cyberpunk dream release or something released either - there's only so much that can be done in so much time and adding more engineers to an effort usually results in more delays, not less.

In any case, CDPR is essentially confirming in the strategy deck that they're working on another Witcher title which was only guessed at before. The question is how long they've been working on it and whether Cyberpunk's release had anything to do with it. Because during Witcher 3's development cycle they announced Cyberpunk unfortunately in hindsight and it's not clear how long it would be before they were able to adequately staff the project to iterate through it sufficient for the scope of an ambitious wide release AAA title. I'm sincerely hoping that internally they know what they did wrong and that lying or misleading the public a bit is part of the execution going forward but in a way to lower expectations, not increase them into the stratosphere like what happened with Cyberpunk.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
witcher 3 ended perfectly. what the gently caress are they going to do for witcher 4 that doesnt add unnecesary things to the 3 previous games.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Show the inevitable breakdown of Geralt's relationship and his descent into lonely alcoholism.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crossover with forgotten realms and add Drizzt

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Talk about how after graduation Geralt went off to college to become a journalist and Yennifer fulfilled her dream of becoming a lawyer. Ciri got really into the sixties, and no one ever saw her again.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

witcher 3 ended perfectly. what the gently caress are they going to do for witcher 4 that doesnt add unnecesary things to the 3 previous games.

In a world where CDPR learns how to make a good game again, all you have to do is set it with a witcher school like the manticore or the viper, and then have be a new protagonist in a different part of the world. Or if they want to link it to the known characters, you have it be Eskel, who is established to be Geralt's near equal.

Scale it back from World Is Ending like in W3, and keep it more focused like B&W and you would be fine.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Make a "create your own Witcher" game to mostly leave Geralt's ending finished is my guess.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Witcher 4 will probably be a Moster Hunter type deal that can get multiplayer attached to it. It will definitely look great in Flywheel form.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Yeah, move on to Cyberpunk 2 please. I want more.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Sell the Witcher franchise to Bethesda and make Witcher 4 in the Skyrim engine. The game starts with Geralts birth.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also when it comes to lore all they have to do is set it in the past during the golden age of witcher schools to explain the massive ammount of monsters running around and having tons of new recruits. Vesemir's youth or something along those lines, it basically writes itself.

End it with Vesemir taking care of little Geralt to atone for his morally dubious decisions and fans will pass out.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 8, 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just make the Ciri future vision real and make The Witcher 2077 you cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

necrobobsledder posted:

We'll know if the brand or genre is tainted if every other company halts in-progress plans to release a cyberpunk themed game to ride on a perceived success of Cyberpunk 2077.

This is a very good point that shouldn't be overlooked. There's probably some very panicked reshuffling of projects going on in some game company conference rooms right about now.