Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lake of Methane posted:

How much of EVE is specifically goons compared to being its own thing that is goon-adjacent?

https://warontherocks.com/2021/03/all-about-eve-what-virtual-forever-wars-can-teach-us-about-the-future-of-combat/

I would say that a plurality of the GOON Tagged eve presence is goon adjacent. Like my buddy was in back when the mascot went from grenade to bees, but he's never paid the 10bux. But he did get activated when I told him the Horn of Goondor got sounded around pandemic summer. It's got roots, deep arcane roots. Never forget benghazi and vilerat. Jesus Vilerat is gonna be a legend I tell my son, and he's gonna remember it with the same clarity I remember the Iran Contra scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

quote:

But in fact it’s happening right now, albeit virtually

oh so it's not happening right now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
https://twitter.com/FBICleveland/status/1379980932300435456

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Goddammit :facepalm:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Clear: https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/04/08/fbi-lake-county-bomb-squad-perry-power-plant-ongoing-law-enforcement-situation/

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Rest in peace mr. Ritter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

My bad for posting old news.

Thanks for the update.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

No dude I woke up and decided to attack, you were supposed to tell me, a doctor, that names are not unique identifiers.

I don't understand how that account keeps giving but it's hilarious.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hahaha a bigass goanna running amok in a minimart, this is pretty common in Australia too. (I believe that is technically an Asian water monitor, a protected species in Thailand.)

Lake of Methane posted:

How much of EVE is specifically goons compared to being its own thing that is goon-adjacent?

https://warontherocks.com/2021/03/all-about-eve-what-virtual-forever-wars-can-teach-us-about-the-future-of-combat/

EVE is currently engaged in Us vs Them Total War in which the collected peoples of EVE have come together to try to exterminate Goons. Again. (They try this every couple of years for like the last decade. We've spent most of that decade dumpstering them repeatedly, but lately they've started to overwhelm us with sheer numbers. They really hate us and there's an entire Fox News-style eve propaganda hate machine ecosystem built up around motivating each side, which is probably part of why. N+1 is all that anyone on the enemy side understands, unfortunately, so this is the quality of bad guy we have to put up with. I weep for the species.)

We're the main driver of almost anything interesting that happens in the game but in terms of percentage of the overall nullsec population, we're a sizeable player but by no means the biggest.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

EVE is a terrible game that people let take over their lives and lol at the idea of the DoD learning anything from it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some former football player killed 5 people and himself.

WBTV: AP source: NFL pro killed five people, then himself in York County, S.C. shooting.
https://www.wbtv.com/2021/04/08/five-killed-including-two-children-shooting-york-county-home/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pmchem posted:

EVE is a terrible game that people let take over their lives and lol at the idea of the DoD learning anything from it.

The DoD would absolutely take lessons from EVE, unfortunately.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lake of Methane posted:

Considering I had someone with a GEWNS tag(which requires an SA account)freak the gently caress out on me for saying that I am an active poster, I'm going with basically entirety goon adjacent

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Gonna guess CTE was a contributing factor.

I asked my wife to get my brain checked after I die. I've already got TBI, and I'll never know, but it will be done closure for my kids

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Considering I had someone with a GEWNS tag(which requires an SA account)

That is not really the case anymore. A lot of active SA posters who play Eve who are in the imperium have gone to alt corps or other member corps. Which means the number of people with GEWNS tags who aren't actual SA posters but are directors or something that needs them to be in Goonfleet proper is a higher ratio than it used to be.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bulletsponge13 posted:

Gonna guess CTE was a contributing factor.

I asked my wife to get my brain checked after I die. I've already got TBI, and I'll never know, but it will be done closure for my kids

I would 100% bet on CTE and it makes me glad I bruised my kidney when I was playing in 9th grade and never played again.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

I would 100% bet on CTE and it makes me glad I bruised my kidney when I was playing in 9th grade and never played again.

I recently sought treatment for TBI outside of the VA. I learned 2 things.
1- they take this poo poo serious. I was assigned to a therapy team (Physical, Occupational, and Cognitive) within a week. They don't gently caress around.
2- we are far enough removed from my war that sharing details shocks people. Casually answering questions like "How many concussions?" With "Do you want physical blows only, or blast overpressure, too?"

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I recently sought treatment for TBI outside of the VA. I learned 2 things.
1- they take this poo poo serious. I was assigned to a therapy team (Physical, Occupational, and Cognitive) within a week. They don't gently caress around.
2- we are far enough removed from my war that sharing details shocks people. Casually answering questions like "How many concussions?" With "Do you want physical blows only, or blast overpressure, too?"

Curious, did the VA refer you to guys outside or did you seek them out on your own? If the second part is true, what prompted you to leave the VA system (and how long did it take to make that decision)?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It'll be interesting to see whether American football will ever see a serious reckoning for all the brain trauma inflicted. I just don't see it happening, though, as even those fans who acknowledge the reality of the issue seem to reluctantly accept it. And there's plenty more who just don't give a gently caress about the lives impacted. It's all too easy to turn a blind eye to.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Boxing still exists and makes a shitload of money, football isn't going anywhere. The value that can be extracted is still more than the damage being done.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Biden doing gun stuff that isn’t likely to lead anything except lost votes.

But also braces are gross and you should SBR stuff...barring state law issues. The “ghost guns” will probably just make 80% frames FFL items, but I’m not sure that can even be done as an executive action and it probably is related a rules making process same with 80% stuff.

That one is more, it sucks for people who like doing custom builds and project stuff, but they’ll still be able to do it, just probably have to serialize it, and a lot of makers even include it as an option now from what I understand.

Also the ATF will get a anti-gun head, whose a long term field agent, and now worked for Giffords gun control group. He’ll continue the trend of never being formally confirmed and just be an acting one. Not sure how the legalities for stuff like that work.

So all in all likely a big wet fart done to get gun control people off his back, that won’t accomplish anything, so I’ll beat Mlmp08 to the punch, in saying it’s probably nothing to worry about.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There was a point where middle class families stopped letting little Timmy go to the boxing gym, and that's when boxing went from second biggest sport in America to its current status of "rare occasional event people care about." I keep waiting for the same to happen to football but my coworkers remain happy to have their little Timmys on the gridiron

In news, Facebook had a big breach, they knew about it for a year or so and didn't care.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...k-idUSKBN2BU2ZY

quote:

Business Insider reported last week that phone numbers and other details from user profiles were available in a public database. Facebook said in a blog post on Tuesday that “malicious actors” had obtained the data prior to September 2019 by “scraping” profiles using a vulnerability in the platform’s tool for synching contacts

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Friends posted:

There was a point where middle class families stopped letting little Timmy go to the boxing gym, and that's when boxing went from second biggest sport in America to its current status of "rare occasional event people care about." I keep waiting for the same to happen to football but my coworkers remain happy to have their little Timmys on the gridiron

In news, Facebook had a big breach, they knew about it for a year or so and didn't care.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...k-idUSKBN2BU2ZY

Also MMA is still a big growing thing too, it’s never going away.

Honestly football or hockey going away, are more likely to occur as a throw away line for something set in the future, then ever in reality.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Violent sports aren't going away, but I do hear parents actually deciding not to let their kids play full contact stuff any more.

Football as a game will likely slowly transition to one of the safer variations we have now(like touch or flag), and will become a sport you encourage your kid to do because they have no other options, not instead of other options.

I feel like hockey is already there. I don't think many canadians are giving up futures as surgeons to play hockey, tho I may be wrong

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RFC2324 posted:

Violent sports aren't going away, but I do hear parents actually deciding not to let their kids play full contact stuff any more.

Football as a game will likely slowly transition to one of the safer variations we have now(like touch or flag), and will become a sport you encourage your kid to do because they have no other options, not instead of other options.

I feel like hockey is already there. I don't think many canadians are giving up futures as surgeons to play hockey, tho I may be wrong

There will always be canadians who aren't good at much but hitting someone.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Let’s not forget Eastern and Northern Europe too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I mean, Americans too, so we will always have violent sports. But parents are getting less likely to let little Timmy play football until its clear that yeah, his destiny is hitting people.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ASAPI posted:

Curious, did the VA refer you to guys outside or did you seek them out on your own? If the second part is true, what prompted you to leave the VA system (and how long did it take to make that decision)?

Went on my own without the VA. I got sick of being told it wasn't real/didn't effect me/is all in my head. I don't see the VA for anything anymore beyond meds.
They told me nothing was wrong with my knees. Multiple orthos disagreed.
They told me it was impossible to damage my back where it hurts.
XRays disagree. Multiple areas of compression with nerve impingement.
Was told my headaches were migraines they wouldn't treat.
Post Concussion Syndrome.

These are minor issues I've had. I stopped going years ago when I went in with serious neurological issues, and sat for 12 hours not seeing anyone but a triage nurse. Then, when I told a nurse I was leaving, "You can't. You haven't seen a doctor, and you aren't cleared."
"I am, and I don't think you have enough security to stop me. Get me my loving discharge paperwork."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My younger brother was actually pretty good at hockey, but that just made the coach of every opposing team tell his guys "go gently caress him up at all costs" and that was the end of that, because a) that's the game and b) no thanks, they're schoolkids ffs.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

I mean, Americans too, so we will always have violent sports. But parents are getting less likely to let little Timmy play football until its clear that yeah, his destiny is hitting people.

I remember Bob Arum once said, something to extent of, as long as there are still ghettos and barrios boxing will always exist (I think he was saying that in relation to MMA growth), which gives it a class distinction too (as others mentioned) as opposed to purely punch man talent. If there is ever a true indication of violent sports declining, it will be when the lowest end of the socio-economic scale start saying no you can’t play this.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't think I can even give a count.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

But also braces are gross and you should SBR stuff...barring state law issues. The “ghost guns” will probably just make 80% frames FFL items, but I’m not sure that can even be done as an executive action and it probably is related a rules making process same with 80% stuff.

The 80% number itself is effectively an ATF number they picked. Pretty sure they can just EO that dial down to 0% to effectively ban 80% lowers.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ktbenner/status/1380208919826599939?s=19

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1380208789845123079?s=19

Two different news sources saying that Gaetz's best buddy is either pleading out or cooperating with the feds. So that's fun.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Stultus Maximus posted:

That was Derek Boogaard.

quote:

A native of Saskatchewan, where he grew up in several different communities as the son of a Mountie, he was known primarily as a fighter and enforcer throughout his career, from junior hockey to the pros. His fighting prowess earned him the nicknames of "Boogeyman" and "The Mountie", and made him a favourite with fans. In 2007, he was voted as the second most intimidating player in the NHL, behind Georges Laraque, who attributed his retirement in part to a desire to avoid the serious injury Boogaard could inflict, such as the cheekbone fracture Todd Fedoruk suffered that had to be repaired with metal plates.

Boogaard died at 28 from an accidental drug and alcohol overdose while recovering from a concussion. A posthumous examination of his brain found he had suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy more advanced than that seen in some former enforcers who had died in middle age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Boogaard

Cugel the Clever posted:

It'll be interesting to see whether American football will ever see a serious reckoning for all the brain trauma inflicted. I just don't see it happening, though, as even those fans who acknowledge the reality of the issue seem to reluctantly accept it. And there's plenty more who just don't give a gently caress about the lives impacted. It's all too easy to turn a blind eye to.

You're right, something I've heard that might be the Big Deal wouldn't be from the NFL or NCAA, but if school districts start losing class action lawsuits from former players. If they can't get insurance anymore it would dent the pipeline.

I have some cousins whose family put a big focus on football in high school for their two boys. One is in his early 20s and still struggles with weight as he was told to put on pounds to be on the offensive line. The other is just finishing high school and is borderline illiterate. Neither is gonna make headlines but football didn't improve their lives.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CainFortea posted:

I don't think I can even give a count.

The 80% number itself is effectively an ATF number they picked. Pretty sure they can just EO that dial down to 0% to effectively ban 80% lowers.

I’m not sure they can truly go down to 0, since it would make a block of aluminum a restricted item. I suspect they may try to dial it down more or use clearly looks like a gun, and then the gun industry will respond and it will be more cat and mouse stuff. Also I’m pretty sure it’s an EA and not an EO,

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

RFC2324 posted:

I played football in HS and my kid is a fuckin brick who would probably make a killer player when he's older but there's no way in hell we're signing off on that if we can get him to do literally anything else instead.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bret Hart's autobiography is one of the most gutwrenching tragedies ever put to print, heavy reccomend.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yo all this boxing and mma poo poo can piss off where's my Real Steel already?

Wanna see robots uppercutting each other into the rafters, not meat bags turning their insides to goo

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well, his heart wasn't in it but the crowd ate it up. Deep inside, Buddy dreamed of a goal, just one drat goal.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

shame on an IGA posted:

Bret Hart's autobiography is one of the most gutwrenching tragedies ever put to print, heavy reccomend.

This x1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
It's my understanding that the pistol brace for ARs was designed for a disabled person and I would have liked to have seen something where a person with a disability could be authorized use of one. Kind of like how people with disabilities can use a crossbow for hunting in some states. I really hate how it was co-opted by idiots wanting to turn their SBR into a legal rifle. It's not a pistol and I don't care what anyone says (I'm not gonna argue this so hopefully this doesn't start a derail).

Also my uncle is a big football fan, although I don't know his views after the whole kneeling for the anthem thing. I don't talk to the guy unless I have to. But anyway he also thinks MMA will be the downfall of civilization. Go figure lol.