Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

The funniest part about Persona Q is that you can't use Narukami as a name, as it has a 6 character limit.

Yeah that was pretty funny. I don't even remember what name I ended up using.

I don't remember what name I used on my first playthroughs of P3 and P4, either. They were a long time ago and neither character's canon name had been established yet. I know I picked Japanese names but I can't at all remember what.

In vanilla P5, I named the main character Akira Kuzunoha. Akira because that was his manga first name and it seemed as good as anything, and Kuzunoha because it seemed like a fun homage to the other SMT spinoff protagonist with a talking cat friend. Then in Royal and Strikers I just went with Ren Amamiya, which my girlfriend suggested--she'd just gotten done getting the platinum in P5 Dancing and was used to calling him Ren by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New No More Heroes 3 trailer

https://youtu.be/jtBbkVoKgJQ

Can't embed because it's age restricted, really looking forward to this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'll wait for Okay ONE More Hero But Then It's Straight to Bed to come out first.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The canon names are the ones in your heart.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the canon names are the ones in super smash bros, actually

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
My introduction to Persona was the Schildkrote P3 LP, so Minato Arisato is permanently embedded in my brain.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

Streets of Rage 4 DLC announced baby!

The fight continues in Wood Oak City.

After the events of Streets of Rage 4, our heroes wanted to prepare themselves for future threats. Axel, Blaze and their mates will start a very special deranged training with the help of Dr. Zan, who built an AI program from the remnants of Mister X’s brain that simulates every kind of danger they could be facing.

With this new DLC, get ready for:

• 3 new playable characters
• A new Survival mode with weekly challenges
• Character customization: build your own fighting style with new moves
• New weapons and enemies!

Here's a trailer

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1380143599174742018?s=19

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
uh, Joker's canonical real name is "chud fuckbutter" according to my save file

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Joker's canon name is Jun Kurosu or Tatsuya Sudou depending on which universe you're in

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Canon names are silly, but canon is also just a silly concept in general

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

hatty posted:

Canon names are silly, but canon is also just a silly concept in general

I'd like to hear more about your opinion on canon.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mediocre cameras

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of the funniest bits of canon is that bloodrayne is in the same universe as the blair witch project

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Lol I'm so lame. I passed out early on my own birthday from drinking too fast and now I'm slightly hungover

Being 30 sucks you guys :(

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
don't mourn your 20s, trust me.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, your 20's kind of suck. Your 30's are a good time. So far I'm not a fan of the 40's but I'm only 41. Maybe it gets better.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Simone Magus posted:

Lol I'm so lame. I passed out early on my own birthday from drinking too fast and now I'm slightly hungover

Being 30 sucks you guys :(

Being in your 30s sucks in a fun way. In your teens you were actively rebelling in whichever dumb way your brain could think of. In your 30s, your body is beginning to rebel and some of its methods are hilariously dumb.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been in my 30s for almost five years now and it's basically been the same as my 20s but I have more money and less hair

(spending most of your 20s in grad school and adjuncting will do that to you)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Consider instead: get good

ok

I know, I know, two carts. I went like 3/4 of the hunt without carting but mitzu is really good at hitting you and then immediately hitting you again.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Walla posted:

Yeah, your 20's kind of suck. Your 30's are a good time. So far I'm not a fan of the 40's but I'm only 41. Maybe it gets better.

lol me too, but so far our 40s have consisted of a global pandemic and economic collapse so let's fuckin hope it gets better.

e: played a helluva lot of great games tho

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My 20s really sucked, I was sick and depressed for most of it. 36 now, and i've spent my 30s seeing a therapist to deal with childhood trauma and make sense of my 20s. I have a full time job now, own a house, and i'm married. So life is much better, other than I am going bald now.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My biggest complaint about being in my 40's is I will wake up with a random pain that persists for days. Like my shoulder has been hurting all week but that's because I slept wrong and it will be fine by Saturday.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Loving the higher resolution art.

Can't wait to recruit my buddy EngineerCar.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm trying to work up the energy to play Strikers some more. I don't really even have a headache per se, my brain just... feels wrong

I dunno why I keep thinking my alcohol tolerance is still super high. It's not like weed where accidentally overdoing it is NBD

Also I'm seriously getting actually mad at the DE devs. Not because the patch is taking time, but because they are so loving terrible at communicating.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I spent my 20s with no friends and dealing with being trans, I'm spending my 30s with tons of mates and a stable job and partying loads while I refuse to admit my body is falling down around me now excuse me while I do a 30 minute workout with a bum ankle and bum shoulder

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Loving the higher resolution art.

Can't wait to recruit my buddy EngineerCar.

I'm so extremely hyped for this. SaGa Frontier is one of my favorite PS1 RPGs and this remaster looks pretty incredible all around.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I'm so extremely hyped for this. SaGa Frontier is one of my favorite PS1 RPGs and this remaster looks pretty incredible all around.

Extremely yes

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

New No More Heroes 3 trailer

https://youtu.be/jtBbkVoKgJQ

Can't embed because it's age restricted, really looking forward to this

I expect it to be terrible but I'll probably get it anyways b ecause I'm stupid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Extremely yes

The only question is: do I start with Asellus, or do I save the best for last?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

The only question is: do I start with Asellus, or do I save the best for last?

You seem to have spelled Amelia wrong :thunkher:

P5 Strikers:

I honestly expected to just kinda zone out during the story, like with DQ and Hyrule Warriors, but drat it's really good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emelia was the first character I beat the game with back on the PS1 so maybe I'll do the same thing here.

Simone Magus posted:

P5 Strikers:

I honestly expected to just kinda zone out during the story, like with DQ and Hyrule Warriors, but drat it's really good

Yeah, it's really much more of a Persona 5 sequel than anything. Legitimately good story, continued character development from the original, all of that good stuff.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Haha Makoto is a Yakuza fan XD

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

You seem to have spelled Amelia wrong :thunkher:

And so have you :v:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I've never played SaGa Frontier but it looks really interesting from all the screenshots i've seen about it. Is there any advice to be given for someone new to the series going to pick up the game for the first time?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

I've never played SaGa Frontier but it looks really interesting from all the screenshots i've seen about it. Is there any advice to be given for someone new to the series going to pick up the game for the first time?

Don't grind battles. Battles cause time to progress and there are various events across the world that only happen during certain times. Battles will increase in difficulty as you fight more of them.

It's generally pretty open-ended. You'll have a main quest that you're trying to accomplish but usually along the way you'll be doing lots of sidequests to progress time and build up your characters with better equipment/stats/skills.

There are humans, mystics, mecs, and monsters.

I forget the differences between the humans and mystics but monsters can absorb enemies after defeating them and then they can transform into other stronger monsters and mecs are only as powerful as the equipment you give them, so you can load them up with super strong equipment and they'll be a powerhouse.

You can't do everything in every playthrough, but that's okay. Campaigns are typically short-ish and the main quest of each character's campaign is different.

Yes, that's how Blue's campaign is supposed to end.

EngineerCar is cool and will join you if you have another mec on your team and they're easy to access once you can travel to any of the other worlds.

Junk Shop Glitch is broken and is generally a good way to break the game if you need to though there's no guarantee that it'll be in the remaster.

e: Of the 7 original main characters (idk anything about the new 8th character other than he was cut content that the remaster is restoring so idk what his campaign is like), both Red and Blue are only playable in their respective campaigns. Red's reason is because he has a secret identity as a kamen rider so he can transform into a super powerful superhero form as long as nobody living is around to see him transform (robots don't count as living). Blue's reason is because he's an rear end in a top hat and won't join anyone else's quest. The remaster might change this, idk, the 8th character is Fuse and idk if he will be able to recruit Red or Blue.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 8, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Don't sweat battle rank. Someone brings it up any time Saga gets mentioned but it's so not a big deal unless you decide to play in a really bizarre way. Like it's a meme from 20 years ago started by people who obsessively grinded in place for hours and hours and when the game slapped their wrist for it they got hugely butthurt on gamefaqs or w/e about it and now it's the only thing anyone seems to think they know about Saga. It'll never be a problem if you're just fighting the enemies who cross your path while you're going about your business. Hell you even can grind a bit, just don't treat it like Dragon Quest 1. When you're playing normally battle rank going up is actually a good thing because stronger enemies means greater odds of learning cool new skills.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 8, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol gently caress I got through the third chapter of Loop Hero first try, killed the boss, then died to his respawning dog :negative:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Don't sweat battle rank. Someone brings it up any time Saga gets mentioned but it's so not a big deal unless you decide to play in a really bizarre way. Like it's a meme from 20 years ago started by people who obsessively grinded in place for hours and hours and when the game slapped their wrist for it they got hugely butthurt on gamefaqs or w/e about it and now it's the only thing anyone seems to think they know about Saga. It'll never be a problem if you're just fighting the enemies who cross your path while you're going about your business. Hell you even can grind a bit, just don't treat it like Dragon Quest 1. When you're playing normally battle rank going up is actually a good thing because stronger enemies means greater odds of learning cool new skills.

This is a better version of what I was trying to say. Don't stick around just endlessly grinding but don't worry too much about fighting either

e: main reason I say not to grind a bunch is because there are definitely a bunch of things you'll miss out on getting to do if you just grind a bunch because you can get pushed forward to the next major story thing instead of exploring and questing.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 8, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something of note for SaGa Frontier is the way magic works.

There are several categories of magic, each with two possible schools of magic within them. These categories are Magery (Realm and Mystic magic), Yin-Yang (Light and Shadow magic), Symbol (Rune and Arcane magic), Spiritual (Mind and Evil magic), Place (Time and Space magic), and a special category for magic that is character-specific (Mirage and Life magic). Within each category, a character can only learn spells of one type. For example, if you teach Emelia Light magic, she can't learn Shadow spells, and vice-versa.

Low-level spells can just be bought at a shop. To learn higher-level spells, you need to obtain the "gift" for a type of magic, which requires a side quest, sometimes a long one (lookin' at you, Rune and Arcane magic). Completing the side quest gets the gift for that magic type for every eligible member of your party. That means that if you do the Light magic gift side quest, everyone in your party capable of learning Light magic (that is, any human or mystic who doesn't already know Shadow magic) will get the gift and will be able to start learning the higher-level Light magic spells.

Some magic types are special and their gifts can only be obtained by specific characters. These are:
  • Realm - Only Blue and Rouge can have the gift, and they start with it.
  • Mystic - As you might expect, only mystics can have this gift.
  • Time and Space - These gifts are specific to two characters: Time Lord (Time, obviously) and Kylin (Space). For most characters, you can buy basic Time or Space spells, but can't earn the gift. Blue, like with a lot of magic things, is the exception, because he has to earn one of these gifts as part of his main story.
  • Evil - Only one character, period, has this gift and nobody else can get it.
  • Mind - Blue and Rouge are the only characters who cannot get this gift (well, and the Evil magic character).
That means the main magic gift side quests are Mind, Light or Shadow, and Rune or Arcane.

With Light and Shadow, you can pretty easily get the Light gift for some party members and the Shadow gift for others. For example, if your main character has Light magic but you want other people in your party to have the Shadow gift, make sure you have at least one Light spell bought for your main character (and anyone else you want to have the Light gift), then go try to start the Shadow gift side quest. The characters who have Shadow magic will just do the side quest off-screen and get the gift, then you can go on and get the Light gift for everyone else. The same works in reverse if you want your main character to have Shadow but others to have Light.

The complicated ones are Rune and Arcane. Both of those quest lines require you to travel around and do multiple dungeons to obtain four special runes or four special tarot cards, depending on the gift. Bolding this part for importance: if you want a character to get the Rune or Arcane gift, they must be present when you obtain every single one of the runes or cards. That means if you obtain a rune, then recruit a new character, that character can never get the Rune gift because they missed out on being present for one of the Runes. There's a trick, I think, that lets you get the opposite gift for other members of your party after you complete the first quest line, but I don't know off the top of my head how it works, and it's debatable whether it's worth the trouble to do both long side quests. Hell, each side quest alone is already longer than Lute's entire main story :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Be nice if they changed the rune/arcane requirements to make it a little simpler. I think I read somewhere that they did remove the recruitment cap, and they made similar little changes in the RS2 and 3 remakes.

My tip would be to not put off buying magic for a long time. I did that the first time I played, foolishly denying myself some very helpful and very cheap buff spells.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 8, 2021