Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xtal posted:

. Queueing ranked is an agreement not to be poo poo.

In which case why do you ever queue ranked?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Everyone sucks at OW, even you and me, and when you accept that it becomes much easier to enjoy.

It's just a fuckin' video game you play to have fun. Insulting other players achieves nothing but increasing the over all hostility in the playerbase.

So don't loving do it.

It doesn't make you feel or play better and it doesn't make other players better at the game. Just be a nice, chill person and you're teammates will likely respond in kind.

gently caress being a jerk in online video games.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

In which case why do you ever queue ranked?

To carry, but some people are beyond hope.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
generally insulting your teammates makes your team more likely to lose because no one likes being insulted and it makes you more likely to lose going forward because it puts you in a pissy, negative mood

I have always had my best results when I'm relentlessly, almost sickeningly positive. It's not an easy attitude to hold!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Elo hell is the belief that there is nothing you can do to increase your rank because of your teammates. I have personally climbed from bronze to GM multiple times. I've done so without being an rear end in a top hat or being banned from the game.

Maybe work on your gameplay, buddy.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Elo hell is the belief that there is nothing you can do to increase your rank because of your teammates. I have personally climbed from bronze to GM multiple times. I've done so without being an rear end in a top hat or being banned from the game.

Maybe work on your gameplay, buddy.

When did you queue? Do you think that has a factor or not?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xtal posted:

When did you queue? Do you think that has a factor or not?

At all times. Queue time is not a factor. My experience at 3am is the same as my experience at 1pm. Dead enemies are still dead enemies regardless of what day it is.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds like you are living in a different world from everybody else's experience. I actually addressed this early on because it's a core part of ELO hell. Lower ranks have more punishing variance due to casuals.

xtal posted:

I also think this explains ELO hell: the lower your SR, the more likely you are to be affected by casuals coming in and out of the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Please explain how my winrate was solidly above 80/90% in every case where I queued from Bronze upwards, only slowing down when I started going up against better players.

The other team has 6 possible casual players who have no idea what they're doing. You only have 5 possibles, if you, yourself are not a casual player. This inherently puts the odds in your favour.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what is your SR, xtal

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what is your SR, xtal

Diamond with good queues, plat with bad queues

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yes, that's true. Low ranks are filled with players like you who can play ok, or flame their team and play 500 lower. The point is both teams have equal numbers of these people - so the only way you can improve is stop doing it and getting personally better at the game. Neither of which you seem capable of.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

xtal posted:

Diamond with good queues, plat with bad queues

so you're an average player 5 years in

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

Please explain how my winrate was solidly above 80/90% in every case where I queued from Bronze upwards, only slowing down when I started going up against better players.

The other team has 6 possible casual players who have no idea what they're doing. You only have 5 possibles, if you, yourself are not a casual player. This inherently puts the odds in your favour.

Because... you aren't in ELO hell. Have you heard the phrase "the exception that proves the rule?" It isn't astonishing that you can break out of low ranks by being extremely good, ELO hell says you need to be extremely good to break out of low ranks. To put it in approximate terms for demonstration, you need to win 90% of your games to rank up, rather than 50-75%. That is ELO hell.

so you're an average player 5 years in

I didn't have a PC until a year ago but yes, ELO hell is a killer.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I have bad team mates too.

I lie to them: "Close one." "We can do this." "good push." "glhf"
Currently Rep 5 and rolling in my free lootboxes.

Also it makes bad games more enjoyable for everyone.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If elo hell was real i'd have never gotten out of plat, where I originally placed. I actually only went up about 200/300SR a season.

This is not indicative of elo hell. This was me slowly improving faster than other people improving. Elo hell doesn't exist. Only players refusing to improve exist.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

xtal posted:

Because... you aren't in ELO hell. Have you heard the phrase "the exception that proves the rule?" It isn't astonishing that you can break out of low ranks by being extremely good, ELO hell says you need to be extremely good to break out of low ranks. To put it in approximate terms for demonstration, you need to win 90% of your games to rank up, rather than 50-75%. That is ELO hell.

I didn't have a PC until a year ago but yes, ELO hell is a killer.

you don't need to rank up. you're exactly where you should be given your skill, and frankly, your ability to coordinate with your teammates

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

dogstile posted:

What role do you play? I queue support and at least to me it can feel like there's less room to make a big impact than say DPS. Maybe I'm just not healing the right people and need to work on that.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

you don't need to rank up. you're exactly where you should be given your skill, and frankly, your ability to coordinate with your teammates

It's not up to me to make up for my bad teammates. Ranking up would make it easier. That is... ELO hell.

For evidence: my win rate goes up with my SR, except on days with noobs coming in for events.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

withoutclass posted:

What role do you play? I queue support and at least to me it can feel like there's less room to make a big impact than say DPS. Maybe I'm just not healing the right people and need to work on that.

I've done it as tank, support and DPS. I actually had the hardest time doing it as DPS (but that was when goats was big, so i'm not surprised, this has likely changed).

Support's historically have been really able to swing fights with one or two abilities. Lucio got me to GM by shotcalling, rather than doing any crazy lucio stuff. Ana I got to GM by getting really good with anti nades and sleep darts, which was more learning the timing of when people play.

xtal posted:

It's not up to me to make up for my bad teammates. Ranking up would make it easier. That is... ELO hell.

For evidence: my win rate goes up with my SR, except on days with noobs coming in for events.

Ah yes, the diamond noobs. Solidly casual players, those diamond noobs.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway, did you all know apex legends is free, a better game, and also not from a Nazi company?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

xtal posted:

Anyway, did you all know apex legends is free, a better game, and also not from a Nazi company?

lol running to another game because you're bad at this one

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't it true that far more people play apex? Did they all get banned for saying noob in overwatch?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

xtal posted:

Isn't it true that far more people play apex? Did they all get banned for saying noob in overwatch?

just the ones who go by "xtal" and whine all the time

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fyi Apex Legends is even more strict about chat behavior than Overwatch is. If you get reported by a teammate for saying something like "noob" or "trash" you'll get suspended for a week, and then banned on your second offense.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not true in my experience. I get called slurs all the time and they don't even have an interface to report teammates.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

xtal posted:

I get called slurs all the time

Yes, and if they get reported they'll be suspended and then banned.

xtal posted:

and they don't even have an interface to report teammates.

This isn't accurate, you can report a player you're spectating, or teammates in the post-match screen where it shows your team's banners.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Reports only did nothing in season 1.

I've gotten plenty of people banned

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tracer is in 'Ello Hell

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

elo hell only exists for you if you believe in it imo, symptom of easily being tilted and carrying resentment forward. You settle to the SR you're playing at on average and if you're consistently playing all pissy and expecting your team to read your mind when you run away from them trying to make a play, then you're playing poorly and it reflects on your SR.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 8, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

elo hell only exists for you if you believe in it imo, symptom of easily being tilted and carrying resentment forward. You settle to the SR you're playing at on average and if you're playing all pissy and expecting your team to read your mind when you run away from them trying to make a play, then you're playing poorly and it reflects on your SR

This doesn't explain the 900-point day to day variance.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xtal posted:

sure it does, it goes up when you're getting carried

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

sure it does, it goes up when you're getting carried

And on the other days it's... ELO hell?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUlA8Hcv4s

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

xtal posted:

you'd think a hardcore bitcoin enthusiast like yourself would take this more in stride

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I was in elo hell reading this thread. But just now I unsubscribed and instantly hit diamond :potg:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xtal posted:

And on the other days it's... ELO hell?

yeah if you're swinging that much you're probably losing and staying mad about it, then blaming each new team for the previous loss and playing like it's deathmatch while berating teammates the whole time

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

withoutclass posted:

ELO Hell is real and I know because I live there. Placed into low gold a couple seasons back. Now I feel like I've learned a lot and play better than ever and I can't get out of low silver and I'll be bronze soon. Very cool!

A lot of people place into gold the first time they play comp, then quickly plunge into silver or bronze which is more in line with their actual skill level. You need to place then play 50+ games in a season IMO (due to variance) to really get an accurate read on your SR. Also consider the average skill level in OW keeps increasing (due to a: people getting better at the game over time, and b: the player base shrinking / game popularity declining which means less new players), so you need to be improving a bit just to stay in the same place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*dying as reinhardt trying to flank the other team* is this elo hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Four teammates dead in the killfeed, but I've already set up my flank

Bravely, I attack, confirming three enemy team kills before I die

"Why did we lose that team fight? You're all garbage"

Why am I trapped here, in this Hell?