Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So that player is definitely getting punished unless he is named Pettersson or Hughes, eh?
If he's a scrub his career is probably done in Vancouver even

Seems kind of unfair given that he can't have been the only person to go out, but that's probably not how these things work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Punishing the player when the team still held a full freaking practice post positive test with everything known about incubation period and infection times would be a hugely dick move so of course it'll happen.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eh I feel like NHL management would be far more likely to punish a player for not back-checking enough or frowning in a interview than anything COVID related

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Punishing the player when the team still held a full freaking practice post positive test with everything known about incubation period and infection times would be a hugely dick move so of course it'll happen.

Let us pray it happens to Jake Virtanen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

WeaponX posted:

Eh I feel like NHL management would be far more likely to punish a player for not back-checking enough or frowning in a interview than anything COVID related

Yes well the Canucks are provably run by a pack of phenomenal idiots, so....

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs win :siren:

No Leafs gear today because it’s Birdie’s birthday :toot:

Leafs did their usual get a bunch of chances and not do anything with them until the other team gets their legs, but most worrying is that they just don’t seem to have an answer for heavy point play. The forwards are really passive when the puck goes high and it costs them possession and tires guys out when plays extend.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What's the story with Jack Campbell? Only 73 games played in the 10 years since being drafted in the 1st round, including not playing in the NHL at all in 14-15 and 15-16. And now all of the sudden he's killing it? Talk about a late bloomer.

Edit: here's his stats page...
https://www.nhl.com/player/jack-campbell-8475789

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The short answer for Campbell is that it’s 10 games and anything can happen.

The narrative answer is that he put a lot of pressure on himself to be the franchise goalie for Dallas because of his draft position, and when he struggled to adjust to the pro game he went into a negative spiral. When he was traded to the Kings he was “rebuilt” in the AHL, put a stop to his negative thought patterns, and he’s been ok to good since coming back to the NHL from there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or maybe just a random goalie riding a random hot streak like all goalies do from time to time.

He was drafted by Dallas during that long period when Dallas had not the faintest idea what a good goalie might look like, then he was stuck for several years behind Jonathan Quick's Contract. But his stats were always pretty good when he did play for the Kings. Probably a Decent Starting NHL Goalie who's currently running hot. You know, just like Freddy Andersen was when Toronto gave him the 5x5 contract that's finally about to run out.

edit: gently caress; beaten

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will always pull for Jack Campbell because I got to see plenty of practices with the Stars and the dude busted his rear end every time to try and get it all together.

I hope it's not a streak and things are finally clicking for him. He's put in the work at this point.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm pulling for him too. I've always had a soft spot for American goalies.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The Jack Campbell Appreciation Station

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, I guess the Athletic has a story on him, if you've got a subscription...
https://theathletic.com/2494891/2021/04/05/im-not-gonna-lie-about-my-life-how-jack-campbell-was-saved-on-his-way-to-the-maple-leafs/

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He's a goalie and it's been 10 games. I would highly doubt he's just figured everything out now.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

but enough about Horvat's lungs

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/mrgrozz/status/1379958846203043840?s=19

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'll take the PP improvement at least. The habs have been rolling one of the worst power plays in the league for years now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

knew that the Avs would have a stinker at some point but woof, was not expecting it to be like that

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Grubauer has never been a full time starter yet, plus he's played in 32 of 38 games. I can't say I'm surprised he gave out a little, just as long as we can find A backup at some point, Johansson isn't an answer. And he certainly wont be ready for the patented "Both goalies go down deep in the playoffs so we have to use our third string and he posts a 50 save shutout in game five before allowing 7 goals in the next" strategy the Avs have employed the past few years.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
miss the talk about the canucks announcement earlier, but here's the letter

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
also

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bad-covid-news-canucks-aquilini-restaurant-ordered-closed-1.5977061

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh did he own that place. Uber pretentius place, yet they still sell mac & cheese?...and they closed one of favourite thai places to build it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It is a crime that we haven't gotten a full season from Matthews these past two seasons. He was on a ~54 goal pace last year, and this year, he's on a ~62 goal pace. Both over a 82 game schedule.

McDavid is currently on a ~139 point pace.

These are both ridiculous numbers. I wish we could have seen them in a full season. Here's hoping this isn't their absolute peak.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JawKnee posted:

miss the talk about the canucks announcement earlier, but here's the letter

Open Trudeau!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McDavid needs 32 points in 16 games to score 100.

Hopefully he gets those games against the Canucks who will be alive but just barely.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ridiculous trade deadline rumor time!

https://twitter.com/puckauthority1/status/1379962807513452544?s=21

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

I love this rumour, because supposedly people were arguing whether Tay Tay would get a first rounder, like, last week. But now, he's worth the Leafs two top prospects (who, I believe, are highly regarded prospects in the league), PLUS another prospect.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"this is subject to changes"

"I did not just pull this from my rear end"

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
https://twitter.com/MrBooth_7/status/1379997303281315846?s=20

Hmmm...hey! Wait a second!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Ugh, I was really hoping we could re-sign Ullmark. Need to sign 2 goalies for next season if he leaves.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He's just a big fan of former Leaf David Booth! I like the cut of his jib, get it done Mr. Dubas!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

In case people didn't see it, Leon's second goal from last night was insane.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHL/status/1380169812408696833

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1380178246826872835?s=20

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1380178246826872835

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

We are true friends

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

fawning deference posted:

We are true friends

Eskimo trade brothers?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

If there's another definition of friend I am unaware

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

This is such a strange deadline

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Buffalo trading away the only good goalie in their entire system would be the most Sabres thing ever.

Unless they then signed him as a free agent, which would rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
I guess the details for the Panthers-Hawks trade are now known:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1380189877187268614