Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
GODZILLA VS KONG MATCH 8 7.41%
TAY VS BUNNY MATCH 52 48.15%
DARBY VS DRAKE MATCH 28 25.93%
MOX AND BUCKS VS BULLET CLUB MATCH 13 12.04%
HANGMAN VS MAX MATCH 7 6.48%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

That's ok, I'll still keep watching that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

neoaxd posted:

I'd be okay with Elevation being the 45min show with a meaningful match, but jobber parade Dark is perfect, imo. The low stakes make it a perfect vehicle for Taz and Ex to bullshit around and that's like 65% of the appeal to me.

pandemic dark loving rules

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

This chart is going to be used as a GOTCHA! but I can't take it seriously when it's counting -1 as a featured wrestler last night.

it's just a list of people who appeared on the show last night

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TV Zombie posted:

From the discourse, it seems as if AEW cannot recover from its current problems so we should wrap it up...AEWailures?

I think so. I think it’s time Tony calls it quits and publicly apologizes to Vince and Hunter for forcing viewers to choose. Vince’s philosophy has always been to help the other guy not to hurt them, and had Tony ever watched the Monday Night War documentary on the award winning WWE Network on NBC peacock then he’d understand that. Tony can give the aew tape library to the WWE’s archive and select talents can have NXT contracts if they show genuine remorse for working with AEW. And Cody is stardust again.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

That chart is just a perfect example of why factions rule. It's actually great that dozens of people get to have screen time and be, at minimum, storyline adjacent instead of just vanishing from TV for weeks at a time.

I think the show felt a little unfocused last night too, but it had way more to do with how segments were staged than how many people were coming out as part of one unified act.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shinjobi posted:

It's more that I'd like Dynamite to be a bit more focused and snappy, and this week's wasn't. I'm not hitting a panic button, or yelling about Meltz, I'm just...I dunno, let's clean it up for the one TV show most of the general audience is going to catch from this promotion.

Yeah, kind of where I'm at as well. As others have said, the pacing felt really weird. If I'm remembering correctly, didn't it go from a Death Triangle talking segment, to an Inner Circle talking segment, to a Christian talking segment before we got to another match? They probably didn't need to have all of those back to back. Christian's could have literally gone anywhere in the show since it was such a short throwaway thing, as long as it happened before the other Team Taz segment.

I dunno. Not every week is a winner and it's not like this week did something bad that I hated, I just wasn't into it as much as I expect to be. Definitely echo what others said about the melodrama of the main event being a bit too much and dragging on too long. The Bucks have turned a bunch of times and done unscrupulous things, and now suddenly Matt is having doubts about winning a wrestling match. It just didn't work for me.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

From the discourse, it seems as if AEW cannot recover from its current problems so we should wrap it up...AEWailures?

There’s also incredibly loud voices who want AEW to fail. Or want that “See! I told you this was a bad idea oh my god they’re gonna start more bad ideas! We saw this in WCW!”

The fact of the matter is AEW’s standards are through the roof because they are so good at what they do and consistently are beating a juggernaut when they “shouldn’t be”.

AEW are underdogs and they’re gonna be for a very long time. They’re still new and they’re still hot and the shoe isn’t and won’t drop so to speak.

This’ll be a good few days for those folks who are dissecting AEW weekly or just really invested in the excitement or just didn’t get some stories fleshed out like they wanted this week, to just take a step back and know that it’s a long road ahead and confidently, we are going to see some incredible moments throughout the rest of the year.

But yeah, many of us, myself included who just reads and listens to way too much wrestling, just need to breathe and know that wrestling still rules and everything is more than fine.

You’re going to hear some loud voices this week about AEW for sure.

Edit: I got new red text yay!! Been a couple years. I know who did it here so thanks. :)

ICR fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 8, 2021

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aye Doc posted:

it's just a list of people who appeared on the show last night

Don't "I'm just asking questions" me, Doc. I read luchablog's tweets. It's off the back of "AEW is just using too many people" and "too many factions" discourse that's been going on for weeks now. From Meltzer to Rovert to VoW to Bix. I'll never pretend my finger's on the pulse of Twitter Pro Wrestling (I like Sasha Banks, but sheesh). But every wrestling Twitter account I check has had some kind of reaction to that point either in agreement or disagreement. That list doesn't exist in a bubble. The user even went on to defend things like why they used "featured" instead of "appeared" and why they included Ethan Page & Scorpio Sky but not the refs or announcers.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

How so? She's had a title reign that's approaching a year and she's beaten everybody. Britt's improved a lot, her promos are great, and her last match on Dynamite was an all-timer. It...makes sense that people would want to see the title move from Shida to Baker.

Britt is still a largely mediocre in-ring worker who has benefited immensely in perception from being joined at the hip with someone like Rosa (as well as the rest of the division just improving in general, though that's something everyone benefits from.) She's been straight-up overtaken by Tay in that particular regard. Her promos are fine? But not good enough to make me overlook the fact that her matches are largely boring to me outside of the one anomaly.

Yeah, Shida's had a long reign but the length is the only real reason it's notable. She gets poo poo for actual programs and despite being the anchor of the division who can go out and get a quality match out of anyone her lack of any real presence when it's not match time is pretty shameful. I don't think I'm being unfair in my assessment that a large part of the reason people want her to drop it to Britt of all people is because of a (honestly pretty safe!) assumption that the champion would then have actual storylines instead of just matches.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah Britt gets like 4 times the spotlight (and that might be generous) the actual division champ does lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shida has had actual storylines since the New Year, I've been enjoying her reign recently. Britt may not have the most insane workrate but she has the basics down and that along with her incredibly good sense of character and in-ring heel mannerisms makes her fun to watch for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yea ok posted:

I thought this was the weakest ep in a while. No blow away matches, way too many insider references and a main event storyline I'm not in love with. Still a fun way to spend 2 hours though

Agree. Nxt was better

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tay rules but she still needs a bit of seasoning in the ring and quite a bit of work on the outside the ring stuff so putting the belt on right now would expose her a bit too much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The good brothers suck

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

shida also has the longest title reign in aew history right now, she's beaten every credible challenger so far

but whatever i want to see her and statlander go hard before she drops the belt so lets get that done first tony

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm gonna be real: I don't think any of AEWs title reigns have been particularly special. It may just take some distance between when they happened and looking back, but like... None of them have had anything that's really stood out as "this couldn't have happened without a title" involved. Or had a long enough chase for the belt. Both Mox and Kenny won the belt on their first attempt. It's one of the reasons I'd be okay with Hangman going for it and whiffing it. When he wins the belt that will be a moment, cause it's been building for so long. But right now there just hasn't been that for me yet.

I also don't really think it matters though, as belts are just props 9 times out of 10 wherever you go (or just 10 times out of 10 with WWE at this point) and the rest of the product is still good regardless.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

There was a time Karl Anderson was a world class fiery babyface

then bc happened

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jericho’s title run was great

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think the kindest thing I can say is that AEW absolutely went all in on and made a star out of Britt, they just did it at the expense of even their champion.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Oh Snapple! posted:

Britt is still a largely mediocre in-ring worker who has benefited immensely in perception from being joined at the hip with someone like Rosa (as well as the rest of the division just improving in general, though that's something everyone benefits from.) She's been straight-up overtaken by Tay in that particular regard. Her promos are fine? But not good enough to make me overlook the fact that her matches are largely boring to me outside of the one anomaly.

Yeah, Shida's had a long reign but the length is the only real reason it's notable. She gets poo poo for actual programs and despite being the anchor of the division who can go out and get a quality match out of anyone her lack of any real presence when it's not match time is pretty shameful. I don't think I'm being unfair in my assessment that a large part of the reason people want her to drop it to Britt of all people is because of a (honestly pretty safe!) assumption that the champion would then have actual storylines instead of just matches.

I disagree on a few points, but I can't argue your opinion of Britt to you. You like who you like. My only dissent is that people getting into Britt is not an indictment of Shida. Even if she were having banger after banger with storylines aplenty, a year is a long time for a champion in modern wrestling. I think that people would want her to drop the title either way. I can't think of any person who is sour on Hikaru Shida that is worth listening to. I don't even know that people think Britt is better. But she's hot right now from the match to her talking segments to overall buzz in the company. That means she should be the champion to me. In the same way it was right for Kenny to beat Mox or Darby to beat Cody. Go with who's got the flame.

Tay is good and she's come a long way, but I think she'd get exposed if they put the title on her and asked her to do what Shida's had to. Because while Britt can (and will) substitute character work for straight up work rate, Tay doesn't have that kind of over the top gimmick and she's not a super worker. To me it's the same reason Jade isn't ready for top title contention. Powerful look. Appears alright in the ring. Appears alright on the mic. NONE of that will coalesce if they ask her to do 25 with Thunder Rosa on PPV though.

Do I think Shida's 2020 should have been better? Absolutely yes. Can't argue, don't think anyone really could. Her 2021 has been real good though. I like that the company let her book the tournament which I also thought was quality. Shy of the few weeks she was terrified of Abadon, I don't see the holes in her current game.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The good brothers suck

when talking about wrestlers that could be cut, i really want them out of here sooner rather than later. With the Young Bucks with Kenny again, it'd be great is they sorta just faded.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The good brothers rule and I hope they never leave.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this bullet club stuff is stinking up the tag division

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bullet Club rules, but the belts either need to come off the Bucks or they need to actually defend them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

the belts either need to come off the Bucks or they need to actually defend them.

yeah for sure.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MorningMoon posted:

This is gonna be the worst thursday-sunday

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Bullet Club rules, but the belts either need to come off the Bucks or they need to actually defend them.

They are defending next week.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jericho’s title run was great

agreed

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
do people do this for other tv shows. are there people out there watching billions or better call saul and counting how many characters are in an episode and why thats too many or not enough.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Seams posted:

do people do this for other tv shows. are there people out there watching billions or better call saul and counting how many characters are in an episode and why thats too many or not enough.

Wrestling fans are broken

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who laid out Mox in the hallway that one time

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just wait until this week's ratings come out and Dynamite dropped below 700k

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

who laid out Mox in the hallway that one time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Seams posted:

i cant remember any tv/iv threads filled with arguments over whether too many people were featured on an episode, but yes the people who are fanatics of other tv shows also break down the extremely minor details while analyzing them

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Seams posted:

I'm willing to bet that the online armchair booking for Better Call Saul is way worse.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I will say I think part of the feeling on title reigns is the weird pandemic era of wrestling. So few people got to be champion in front of actual crowds. And while I think it's easier on heels, the babyface champions have had to do their best with no crowd response. That being said, the only title reign I've been entirely whelmed by was SCU's inaugural run and that actually was entirely in front of fans.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Seams posted:

This absolutely happened for Game of Thrones. They just had to devote time every episode to Dany, the fuckers.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
after the revolution, my job will be the character screen minutes minder for television programs

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MorningMoon posted:

This is gonna be the worst thursday-sunday

It's generally best to avoid this thread Thursday-Sunday and bail out of the Dynamite GDTs roughly half the time.

Dark and Elevation threads are always good. Only true Darkheads know what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah I enjoyed the show and that's all I need. I don't care who beats who. The only reason I care about ratings in the slightest is I want the show I enjoy to stay on the air. And if the show becomes bad I won't care about the ratings then either because who gives a poo poo if a bad show goes off the air.