Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Night of the Lepus is very fun imo. Those bunnies gently caress people up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Lake Placid and Crawl are similar in that they're animal attack movies that have the confidence to not kill some random character off every ten minutes. So you have some people coming away from the movie complaining that there wasn't enough gator action but all in all I think they're better for it.

Lake Placid especially feels like a throwback to when the movie would be like 90% people standing around talking about the situation and 10% creature stuff, because they didn't have the budget for anything more than that and you needed a strong cast to carry it. And that's really what Lake Placid is known for, the cast is one of the first things people will mention about it.

My issue is more with the pacing. Most killer animal movies do an opening kill, exposition time, then do a 15 or 20 min pace in between with one last sacrifice towards the end. Arachnaphobia, Tremors, etc. mostly follow this with Jaws being the prime example.

Placid and Crawl both break this, but Crawl only has two people and becomes more about survival, with the kills being both awesomely shot and put in the middle to thwart rescue, while Placid just had a couple of people die at the beginning and then everyone else just doing stuff for the rest of the movie.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Lake Placid is a very late 90s movie, which is far from a compliment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

My issue is more with the pacing. Most killer animal movies do an opening kill, exposition time, then do a 15 or 20 min pace in between with one last sacrifice towards the end. Arachnaphobia, Tremors, etc. mostly follow this with Jaws being the prime example.

Placid and Crawl both break this, but Crawl only has two people and becomes more about survival, with the kills being both awesomely shot and put in the middle to thwart rescue, while Placid just had a couple of people die at the beginning and then everyone else just doing stuff for the rest of the movie.

Yea but I think you're still evaluating the pacing based solely on how often the kills come. Like, when you say that the rest of the movie is "everyone else just doing stuff", that involves a bunch of very very tense scenes but because nobody dies you're counting that against the movie. If the cast is engaging enough and the situations are tense like they are in Lake Placid, I don't think there's a pacing issue even if the actual kill count is low.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darko posted:

Crawl isn't just a killer animal movie, it's a combination killer animal and disaster movie. The constantly rising water raises the stakes as the film goes along all by itself, with the alligators just being the more immediate issue most of the time

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The best animal attack movie is Day of the Animals because shirtless Leslie Nielsen wrassles a bear

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

This movie has the dumbest, unluckiest protagonist.

I know, it's one of the best parts! It's so dumb yet watchable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Literally every horror movie ever made is not only set in space but was even filmed there.

:crossarms:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It’s such a slow and dreamy movie. It felt like a full half of its run time was bunnies running in slow motion through a model railroad town.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Gripweed posted:

No matter what I'm definitely watching this one

Ah gently caress yeah!

Manly Wade Wellman has largely been forgotten among weird fiction writers, largely due to his books being out of print for like 45 years, but he's definitely ripe for a comeback, now that new collections of his work are available. His two main characters are John the Balladeer (the one this movie is about), a hillbilly monster fighter with a guitar with silver strings, and John Thunstone, an occult detective with a silver sword-cane.

If you've read the Hellboy stories The Crooked Man and The Return of Effie Kolb, they're heavily influenced by Wellman's John the Balladeer stories.

My favorite bonus fact about Wellman is that he wrote a story in the first issue of Captain Marvel Adventures (that's the Shazam Captain Marvel, not the Brie Larson one) and the first letter of each panel at the opening of the story is an acrostic spelling out his name (except that the dialogue got edited so you really have to know it's there to kind of figure it out)

Edit: guess I should link to the new editions of his books https://www.amazon.com/dp/1946808989/?coliid=IMY41B1A6AYNW&colid=YKPGZN7U02QB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/1946808172/?coliid=I4E0R62ZFNZ5K&colid=YKPGZN7U02QB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The rabbit effects are genuinely delightful, but I think the pace is just too slow for it to be a truly great so bad it's good movie.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

pospysyl posted:

The rabbit effects are genuinely delightful, but I think the pace is just too slow for it to be a truly great so bad it's good movie.

All the parts with Dr. McCoy and the rest are so boring. I want a cut of that movie where it’s just those slow motion bunnies running around model houses with ketchup on their mouths looking adorable

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i remembered having a good time during the giant wasp movie Stung? but may have been the alcohol talking

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

alf_pogs posted:

i remembered having a good time during the giant wasp movie Stung? but may have been the alcohol talking

:same:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
This Elle Hunt person sounds like a huge nerd.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

This Elle Hunt person sounds like a huge nerd.

as far as I can tell, she's a British columnist who has a job where she writes about classic or beloved movies specifically to make people mad and generate engagement. She got people mad online a little while back when she compared There Will Be Blood to all of her bad ex-boyfriends

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gripweed posted:

She got people mad online

hey it's twitter afterall

Armond White's legacy lives on

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

She got people mad online a little while back when she compared There Will Be Blood to all of her bad ex-boyfriends

Wasn't that a comic book a few years ago..?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Not disagreeing with you at all. Just saying my feeling when watching has never rewarded me and I'm trying to quantify why.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but I think you're still evaluating the pacing based solely on how often the kills come. Like, when you say that the rest of the movie is "everyone else just doing stuff", that involves a bunch of very very tense scenes but because nobody dies you're counting that against the movie. If the cast is engaging enough and the situations are tense like they are in Lake Placid, I don't think there's a pacing issue even if the actual kill count is low.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember being annoyed by Lake Placid back when it came out but I feel like I might like it now. I remember being pissed when the sheriff asks the monster croc professor why he hadn’t heard of a situation involving a giant crocodile swimming across the ocean and up a river to a lake in a temperate climate and the croc prof is like “UHHHH YEAH, THEY LIKE TO HIDE THAT KINDA INFORMATION IN BOOKS. 🙄”

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Literally every horror movie ever made is not only set in space but was even filmed there.

:crossarms:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm not sure if it'll come out but an article from 2020 says Ben Wheatley is directing it which definitely piques my interest

!!!

Please let them make it R rated this time, the kills were the weakest poo poo

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Wheatley was lined up to do the next Tomb Raider at some point. Weird choice but I'd have liked to see whatever that would have been.

Not sure who in Hollywood keeps giving him these projects but I think maybe they're looking at the wrong IMDB page. Is there a 'Ben Weatly" who makes cheap action movies?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

WeaponX posted:

All the parts with Dr. McCoy and the rest are so boring. I want a cut of that movie where it’s just those slow motion bunnies running around model houses with ketchup on their mouths looking adorable

All the scenes of the rabbits roaring are pretty much rabbits filmed yawning. I remember how big my pet rabbit's mouth would open when he'd yawn and all it would take is a well placed bite to kill someone.

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Food of the Gods has lots of giant creatures, especially rats

The rats are adorable. However I do worry that there might've been real rat death in the movie. I've looked around for years for any behind the scenes info but haven't found anything.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I read the Food of the Gods not long ago and thought the first half would make a great horror film. The second half was all about the human rights of giant people, I assume the movie ditches all that. Does it even have giant humans?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Power just got added to Shudder. I've heard really good things about this one and have been waiting for it for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BpGrIO3ps

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

M_Sinistrari posted:

The rats are adorable. However I do worry that there might've been real rat death in the movie. I've looked around for years for any behind the scenes info but haven't found anything.

I vaguely recall reading that the rats were OK, just tired from swimming.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I read the Food of the Gods not long ago and thought the first half would make a great horror film. The second half was all about the human rights of giant people, I assume the movie ditches all that. Does it even have giant humans?

It's just rats and chickens IIRC.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm watching HOSTS and drat this could have been a decent short film but there is some monstrous acting and a lot of monologues showcasing that acting

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

Food of the Gods 2 has an amazing scene where one guy becomes a giant at a really inconvenient time, as well as a giant toddler. It’s still mostly about giant rats, but it’s a hoot.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

From another thread:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Don't bring that bad faith argument here! It doesn't deserve any more traction.

:negative:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's worth mentioning that after 1000 people told her that was a stupid take and that she's wrong, she immediately pivoted to "Wow film twitter is so joyless and angry, how dare I, a woman, disagree with the doctrine".

Blue checkmarks gonna blue checkmark.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That's not the first time I've heard that argument (and watched an entire party in art school completely sour in real time) and it sure as hell will not be the last.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I mean, after all, no one can hear you scream in space.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Franchescanado posted:

Don't bring that bad faith argument here! It doesn't deserve any more traction.

:negative:

I apologize :(

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm normally really good at empathizing and being able to devils advocate and see arguments I don't believe in, but I can't even begin to wrap my mind around how someone could come up with that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Like Fran said, it's not a good faith argument it's just bait to get angry nerds going on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

I apologize :(

I was being facetious about you posting it, friend. ;)