Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Man i want to try Garum on something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I felt like smoking a cig after my second shot...to loving celebrate!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

Pretty much, yes.

I sometimes wonder what other ancient Roman food is actually delicious. They were absolutely right about garum.

Well, there's always silphium, aka laserwort. It was a herb used as a seasoning for cooking. Probably tasted like a better asafoetida, since that was considered a cheap substitute for silphium.

Oh, and it was a natural contraceptive. Its seeds or fruits may have been the basis for the heart symbol. And it went extinct sometime during the Roman Republic.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

If you like your sweet desert wines, the ancient romans had a secret ingredient they liked to add that made any wine taste better

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ziv Zulander posted:

If you like your sweet desert wines, the ancient romans had a secret ingredient they liked to add that made any wine taste better
Plus it'd do even more to help you let go of your inhibitions!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ziv Zulander posted:

I'm not letting you put your dick in my wine, quit trying to trick me

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That's clearly a Yehat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hyperlynx posted:

Pretty much, yes.

I sometimes wonder what other ancient Roman food is actually delicious. They were absolutely right about garum.

I'm fascinated by stuff like this

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/27/950645473/whats-on-the-menu-in-ancient-pompeii-duck-goat-snail-researchers-say

I love evidence that 2000 years ago there was more we'd recognize and be right at home with than that we'd find totally alien. Like the Colosseum had vendor stalls selling pennants and beer hats and poo poo

Also just imagining what that Pompeiian-equivalent halal cart tasted like after hundreds of years assimilating cultures around the Mediterranean. (I mean it was pretty early in the Empire but still, drat I bet you could order it spicy)

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Phy posted:

Well, there's always silphium, aka laserwort.

You mean the butcher!?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The highest-paid athlete of all time was a charioteer named Gaius Appuleius Diocles. He was worth the equivalent of 15 billion usd, most of which came from endorsement deals

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I'm fascinated by stuff like this

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/27/950645473/whats-on-the-menu-in-ancient-pompeii-duck-goat-snail-researchers-say

I love evidence that 2000 years ago there was more we'd recognize and be right at home with than that we'd find totally alien. Like the Colosseum had vendor stalls selling pennants and beer hats and poo poo

Also just imagining what that Pompeiian-equivalent halal cart tasted like after hundreds of years assimilating cultures around the Mediterranean. (I mean it was pretty early in the Empire but still, drat I bet you could order it spicy)

Ordering it spicy you probably couldn't do, no peppers until the Columbian exchange!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

The highest-paid athlete of all time was a charioteer named Gaius Appuleius Diocles. He was worth the equivalent of 15 billion usd, most of which came from endorsement deals

There were billboards up all over Rome featuring famous gladiators endorsing products.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ranidas posted:

Ordering it spicy you probably couldn't do, no peppers until the Columbian exchange!

Oh drat, yeah. But wait, weren't there some southeast Asian native varieties?

Though I'm always amused by "national dishes" like potatoes in Ireland, tomatoes in Italy, peanuts in Thailand,

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

flavor.flv posted:

The numbers around this guy are totally conflicting, but he was definitely turbo wealthy.

quote:

Classics professor Peter Struck describes him as "the best-paid athlete of all time",[1] worth between approximately $60 million and $160 million in equivalent basic goods purchasing power.

I think modern quarterbacks are worth more but whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

vyelkin posted:

There were billboards up all over Rome featuring famous gladiators endorsing products.

They apparently were actually going to have that in Gladiator but felt audiences wouldn't believe it.

I feel it'd work more if the whole idea of gladiators always fighting to the death was countered with the historical reality of them being almost literally pro wrestlers with weapons.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Ignoranus posted:

You mean the butcher!?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Data Graham posted:

There are now, but they're mostly from the same origins as jalapenos and cayennes.

There would have been some varieties of peppercorns, though!

FFT has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Apr 8, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A lot of Roman food was seasoned heavily with cumin, coriander, onion, and herbs. So it was "spicy" in that it was heavily flavored with spices, but not "spicy" like it burns your mouth. Think of like modern Persian or North African cuisines. Also, a lot of traditionally Italian stuff like pesto, focaccia, lasagna, and even pizza were eaten regularly by the Romans.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A lot of Roman food was seasoned heavily with cumin, coriander, onion, and herbs. So it was "spicy" in that it was heavily flavored with spices, but not "spicy" like it burns your mouth. Think of like modern Persian or North African cuisines. Also, a lot of traditionally Italian stuff like pesto, focaccia, lasagna, and even pizza were eaten regularly by the Romans.

How’d they make all that stuff without tomatoes?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Thump! posted:

How’d they make all that stuff without tomatoes?

Rotten fish sauce.

Seriously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A lot of Roman food was seasoned heavily with cum

NOt reading any further, thanks

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://twitter.com/JACOBCROSSlNG/status/1379937509887471621?s=20

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Rotten fish sauce.

Seriously.

They had it with rotten grape juice and rotten milk as well.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Rotten fish sauce.

Seriously.

They used fish instead of ragu to make their lasagna?

What the gently caress Hannibal should’ve finished the job on those pantsless dumbasses

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Though I'm always amused by "national dishes" like potatoes in Ireland, tomatoes in Italy, peanuts in Thailand,

I'm less inclined to dog the irish for their association with potatoes after learning why it happened, and that's entirely setting aside the famine

Rotten fish sauce.

Seriously.

we started this whole derail by chaining thai fish sauce into garum

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I really don't feel like anyone needs to be dogged for finding something new, going 'this is pretty good' and embracing it by making it part of their culture.

As long as its not harming the origin, obviously

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Phy posted:

I'm less inclined to dog the irish for their association with potatoes after learning why it happened, and that's entirely setting aside the famine
I'm going to assume it's because potatoes are cool as hell and for once not because of something my country did, again setting aside the famine.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RFC2324 posted:

I really don't feel like anyone needs to be dogged for finding something new, going 'this is pretty good' and embracing it by making it part of their culture.

As long as its not harming the origin, obviously

Meanwhile America planted bradford pear trees everywhere which don't bear fruit, are an invasive species that destroys the plant, wildlife, and insect ecosystems, create safety hazards because they're lovely and split in half in a light breeze, cover everything in absurd amounts of pollen and detritus...

oh yeah and they smell like cum.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
pizza is dough with lard on top.

anything else is not authentic.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Meanwhile America planted bradford pear trees everywhere which don't bear fruit, are an invasive species that destroys the plant, wildlife, and insect ecosystems, create safety hazards because they're lovely and split in half in a light breeze, cover everything in absurd amounts of pollen and detritus...

oh yeah and they smell like cum.

So you're saying on whole the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Wait why are they pear trees if they dont bear fruit. And why do that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know they say the heart of margaret thatcher is still beatin'. And from what I see, I believe 'em.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hihohe posted:

Wait why are they pear trees if they dont bear fruit. And why do that.

They do produce in science terms a fruit, but it's not an edible fruit.

They're a crossbreeding nightmare where the end result is a "pear" that's tiny and rock hard and inedible. And its root system kills other plants while that fruit kills animals and the nasty odors and toxic blooms kill insects.

It's a loving abomination.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

When the virus is sus!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

They do produce in science terms a fruit, but it's not an edible fruit.

They're a crossbreeding nightmare where the end result is a "pear" that's tiny and rock hard and inedible. And its root system kills other plants while that fruit kills animals and the nasty odors and toxic blooms kill insects.

It's a loving abomination.

Is there a tree that produces less harm to the local ecosystem while still providing the desirable smell of cum?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Scholtz posted:

Is there a tree that produces less harm to the local ecosystem while still providing the desirable smell of cum?

Sorry, best I can do is Ginkgo which smells like death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs