Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
GODZILLA VS KONG MATCH 8 7.41%
TAY VS BUNNY MATCH 52 48.15%
DARBY VS DRAKE MATCH 28 25.93%
MOX AND BUCKS VS BULLET CLUB MATCH 13 12.04%
HANGMAN VS MAX MATCH 7 6.48%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SonicRulez posted:

I will say I think part of the feeling on title reigns is the weird pandemic era of wrestling. So few people got to be champion in front of actual crowds. And while I think it's easier on heels, the babyface champions have had to do their best with no crowd response. That being said, the only title reign I've been entirely whelmed by was SCU's inaugural run and that actually was entirely in front of fans.

Yeah I can’t actually remember any of their successful title defences. Same for Nyla’s run actually (was the one where Stat was sick a defence?). Uh, and FTR.

Mox had a bunch of great defences. Cody had tons. Darby has some good ones. Jericho had some great ones. Riho had the Nyla series. Shida has actually had some really good ones too.

Kenny has had interesting programs and great matches but the title has been the least interesting thing about him lately.

I think the fact they’ve been in a pandemic and without real crowds can’t be overstated though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Shard posted:

Yeah I enjoyed the show and that's all I need. I don't care who beats who. The only reason I care about ratings in the slightest is I want the show I enjoy to stay on the air. And if the show becomes bad I won't care about the ratings then either because who gives a poo poo if a bad show goes off the air.

I feel like the is is where I am too.

Like, I’ll like the stuff I like and fast forward through what I’m not into. It’s not on me to fix anything or figure out why certain things may or may not land with other people. It also feels like my fandom might have crested for wrestling again and I’m ready for Dynamite to just be a TV show that I catch on the weekly rather than engaging in the discourse.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

blunt posted:

Please stop putting -1 on TV. I understand why he's at Daily's place, but a masked 9 year old leading a stable doesn't fit AEW's presentation the same way Matt Hardy teleporting doesn't. It's gone on long enough, please keep him backstage. I realise I'm probably in the minority on this point though.
I'm in that minority with you.

Lamuella posted:

oh, in case anyone cares, Anthony Ogogo really did have a Subway ad in the UK nine years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ4EHvoPwbY
No jalapeños? Coward!!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i don't mind -1 being around, like seconding Tay or being on Ten's shoulders for an entrance, but yeah if there's going to be a rumble or something keep him in the back

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah I can’t actually remember any of their successful title defences. Same for Nyla’s run actually (was the one where Stat was sick a defence?). Uh, and FTR.

In Nyla's case, Kris was her only defense. But in mitigation she was off TV for two months at the start of the pandemic, and the program with Bea they were building up for her ended up never happening.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Like, I’ll like the stuff I like and fast forward through what I’m not into. It’s not on me to fix anything or figure out why certain things may or may not land with other people. It also feels like my fandom might have crested for wrestling again and I’m ready for Dynamite to just be a TV show that I catch on the weekly rather than engaging in the discourse.

Like so many of my hobbies, things ebb and flow. For 2 years I have been so happy to love wrestling again, but even though I still love AEW I know a lot of that comes from me and my wife getting take out, drinking and talking poo poo (good and bad) the entire time. I think the roster is getting bloated and some of the new wrestlers add very little when I really just want to see more of the people they already have more. I know there is 8 hours of Dark every week, but i cannot find the time or will to go over it all, which means I am not seeing A LOT of the AEW roster. I also think that many Dark matches makes the ranking completely useless as well.

As far as discourse goes

Rarity posted:

Wrestling fans are broken

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Rarity posted:

Just wait until this week's ratings come out and Dynamite dropped below 700k

lmao i cant wait, im just gonna unfav the thread until monday

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/RealJDDrake/status/1380197698016530435

Uh oh lol

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Wrestling to me is good when I'm enjoying it in the moment. I don't get how people can sit there and second-guess everything they see and fret about how it's going to play for women 18-49 from Idaho. There are people who are paid to do that, let them worry about it. Trying to watch something from the standpoint of somebody else is a waste of time especially wrestling when the entire act is predicated on how you personally feel about what's happening on screen.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember liking Nyla's win against Riho, being whelmed by her and Statlander, and then thinking the match where she lost it to Shida was an underappreciated banger. I don't remember much else. Another underappreciated AEW championship match is Brodie/Dustin Rhodes for the TNT championship.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WOAT

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Seams posted:

Wrestling to me is good when I'm enjoying it in the moment. I don't get how people can sit there and second-guess everything they see and fret about how it's going to play for women 18-49 from Idaho. There are people who are paid to do that, let them worry about it. Trying to watch something from the standpoint of somebody else is a waste of time especially wrestling when the entire act is predicated on how you personally feel about what's happening on screen.

yep. i like what i like and if i don't like it i'm gonna change the channel not write a treatise about it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I'm getting there as well. The discussion really does nothing for me anymore. You have it exactly right - watch what I like and fast forward what I don't. The cool thing is that I usually like what's on. And the show never feels like a chore like WWE became for me.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
More PPVs was the norm during a very successful time before, some were skippable, some were major, but it kept the product constantly moving towards an imminent destination. If you can do that with TV specials then great, but I haven't seen that happen yet, Dynamites like this week's suffer most from feeling like they're treading water until the build for the next major event starts. The Inner Circle vs. Pinnacle was announced, but Darby is defending his title against a no name, it's a six man tag in the main event furthering a feud that should have been definitively ended at the last PPV, who is Shida's next big challenger? Who's going to be facing the Bucks for their next defense?

Dynamite, and wrestling in general, is way better when there's a destination approaching and we can build the matches that are going to be on that card. A more packed PPV schedule fixes that problem inherently, it forces things to be that way, where this loose schedule of TV specials sometimes when we feel like it and one PPV every three months isn't really cutting it in my opinion. If they would have one TV special in every off-PPV month and have it all laid out ahead of time, and announced early, that would work too.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Rarity posted:

Just wait until this week's ratings come out and Dynamite dropped below 700k

If this happens, and I’m not saying it will, it’ll be exclusively because of my list of nitpicks with the show

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this bullet club stuff is stinking up the tag division

A tale as old as time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NXT was great this week, way better matches than Dynamite. First time I've watched it in months and months. I can see it doing well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

No this time it really was Don Callis and plans didn't change cause they fired him. Or his goons at least.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Last post from me and then I’m stepping away from here for the year. Perma me if I don’t.

Queen Aminata was also ringside for last night’s show and she is amazing. Vastly improved wrestler and I am so happy to see her possibly get a match on Dark or Elevation.

She’s a nurse as well and a really strong woman who I hope looks good if she gets a match. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

smarxist posted:

i don't mind -1 being around, like seconding Tay or being on Ten's shoulders for an entrance, but yeah if there's going to be a rumble or something keep him in the back

do people really think they're planning to make the kid wrestle in the rumble

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NXT was great this week, way better matches than Dynamite. First time I've watched it in months and months. I can see it doing well.

I’ll take your word for it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I’ll take your word for it

Ciampa WALTER is worth watching

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ICR posted:

Last post from me and then I’m stepping away from here for the year. Perma me if I don’t.

Queen Aminata was also ringside for last night’s show and she is amazing. Vastly improved wrestler and I am so happy to see her possibly get a match on Dark or Elevation.

She’s a nurse as well and a really strong woman who I hope looks good if she gets a match. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.

You don't gotta go

Let's all just post about all elite wrestling

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

El Generico posted:

who is Shida's next big challenger?

Tay Conti with Britt waiting in the wings

El Generico posted:

Who's going to be facing the Bucks for their next defense?

PAC and Fenix, literally next week

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I almost watched NXT then saw how long just the first episode was and went "fuckin nope."

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
A series of matches where Kenny demands Hangman beat every member of the Elite before he'll give him a match could be fun. Plus, there could be some weird poo poo like "Does Cody even count anymore?".

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Now that he can't post anymore, my theory is that ICR is Excalibur

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bleeding hell the kid's dad died a few months ago, if they want to give him a David Arquette joke title reign I'm not going to complain about it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"Takeover had better matches than a weekly Dynamite" is not exactly a shock.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm really, really looking forward to BTE next week, my duders.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pylons posted:

"Takeover had better matches than a weekly Dynamite" is not exactly a shock.

It would be for me. I'll take a series of matches the vary in style, even if they aren't all great, than the one single match everyone has at NXT every show any day of the week.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ciampa WALTER is worth watching

you can go ahead and CIAMP my WALTER bud

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

I almost watched NXT then saw how long just the first episode was and went "fuckin nope."

Exactly the same length as dynamite???

Vince MechMahon posted:

It would be for me. I'll take a series of matches the vary in style, even if they aren't all great, than the one single match everyone has at NXT every show any day of the week.

:rolleyes:

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i stopped watching dynamite probably like 5 or 6 months into it being on the air and lost interest in AEW outside of matches involving specific talent I was already a fan of prior to their signing, I now pretty much watch it when it becomes a destination for good wrestlers to end up on TV but I have very little faith in them being involved in any form of well told angle that lasts beyond a match or two. I think there's a lot of reasons for this, from mediocre to bad match production (e.g. camera work and shot choice etc), the lack of PPVs punctuating storylines, the way both the women's division was treated and up until recently the lack of top level female talent, but mostly it's just that the young bucks are really bad at everything I think makes wrestling good and involve themselves in everything at all times and bring out the worst elements of Kenny too. I want to watch and enjoy the show, it's got so many wrestlers I think are absolutely fantastic and the future of wrestling, but there's no reason to watch it on a weekly basis when I generally only have time for one or two wrestling watching nights a week and DDT exists and is consistently great. A company that has a top end of Mox/PAC/Jericho/Omega and rising stars like MJF/Jungle Boy (please for the love of god push him as a singles guy asap)/Darby/Sammy as well as some of the funniest people in wrestling should be something i'm consistently interested in.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DeathChicken posted:

Bleeding hell the kid's dad died a few months ago, if they want to give him a David Arquette joke title reign I'm not going to complain about it

It's not even like he's doing anything major. He's not leading the Dark Order or anything, he just comes out with them sometimes and acts funny in the background, and for some reason he gets to be Tay's manager. It's not like he's giving them actual orders or cutting big tv promos.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Exactly the same length as dynamite???

When I checked on peacock as Dynamite was ending it said it started 4 hours previously. So if it's not 4 hours long, that's on Peacock.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Getting to spend a couple of days each month with the AEW crew probably helps Brodie Jr feel more connected to his dad considering it was such a big part of Brodie Sr's life

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vince MechMahon posted:

When I checked on peacock as Dynamite was ending it said it started 4 hours previously. So if it's not 4 hours long, that's on Peacock.

It's probably counting the preshow too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vandar posted:

It's not even like he's doing anything major. He's not leading the Dark Order or anything, he just comes out with them sometimes and acts funny in the background, and for some reason he gets to be Tay's manager. It's not like he's giving them actual orders or cutting big tv promos.

That one promo he cut against Luther was great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1380205511019130881

trim that fat, tony