Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m glad Hero has taken the heat off us Ness/Lucas mains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I’m convinced that 1-2.5 mil GSP is where all the try-hards who watched hours of YouTube guides and know how to tech, reverse aerial rush and do infinite combos, but not actually win play. There is a distinct rating when you go from fighting them to fighting players who have clearly never played a character or even the game before. Going from 2.5 to 7 million GSP is like 10 easy games.

Every new character I pick up has been like this.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

nexous posted:

I’m convinced that 1-2.5 mil GSP is where all the try-hards who watched hours of YouTube guides and know how to tech, reverse aerial rush and do infinite combos, but not actually win play.

a lot of people just can't breach the brain barrier that Smash isn't like fighting games where doing big combos leads to winning, or not directly anyway

personally I think it's funny when people get K. Rool to 200% and then they just don't know what to do 'cause he t h i c c

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I on the other hand have never learned how to play Smash and just use smash and B attacks if they're powerful and don't have a gigantic windup or Cool down like Donkey Kong or Samus.

No idea how to play offstage or land Ryu, Ken or Terry's spike attack correctly or do their inputs consistently, I am garbage. Spirit mode was real tough for me.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I fell from 9.4 million to out of Elite in 5 games today, and every one was a close 2v2. I got right back in, but drat that's frustrating

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

nexous posted:

I’m convinced that 1-2.5 mil GSP is where all the try-hards who watched hours of YouTube guides and know how to tech, reverse aerial rush and do infinite combos, but not actually win play. There is a distinct rating when you go from fighting them to fighting players who have clearly never played a character or even the game before. Going from 2.5 to 7 million GSP is like 10 easy games.

I have the opposite problem, where I've played the game like an amateur for nearly two decades and have strong fundamentals but find it extremely hard to learn advanced techniques or integrate them consciously into my playstyle, so I can scrape up against Elite Smash but inevitably but my arse handed to me as soon as I fight someone who has trained to play competitively.

One thing I noticed playing with a friend who only started playing a few years ago, who seems to think very consciously about his actions and can describe in detail what he did in a match, whereas I more or less play on instinct and anything past the last few seconds is pretty much a blur. How do other people play, does that description of playstyles make sense to anyone else?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

nexous posted:

Those aren't tryhards, they're smurfs. The idiots who have never played Smash before are playing free-for-all. Anyone playing 1v1 at a GSP that low put their GSP there intentionally to try to get easy wins.

The funny part about this is that once your GSP is low enough, Nintendo realizes you're a smurf and penalizes all of your GSP gains, so all of the smurfs have basically banished themselves to the Smurf Zone forever.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The idiots who have never played Smash before are playing free-for-all.

the STUPID loving MORONS who have the AUDACITY to have never played SUPER SMASH BROS

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Those aren't tryhards, they're smurfs. The idiots who have never played Smash before are playing free-for-all. Anyone playing 1v1 at a GSP that low put their GSP there intentionally to try to get easy wins.

I just prefer 1v1 and am not very good.

Wait, is this why I'm having so much trouble getting up past 600k?

EDIT: I misremembered, it's 6mil not 600k. All I remembered was that it was a big number that starts with 6.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 11, 2021

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

multijoe posted:

How do other people play, does that description of playstyles make sense to anyone else?

I definitely go by instinct. Reading the critique of my play earlier and asking myself why I did dumb stuff that got pointed out I realized the answer was always “it just seemed right.” So trying to reverse some bad habits is gonna be hard.

Though when I get baked I often end up playing much slower and methodically and win more.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The trick to winning in Smash is don't be the guy jumping at the other one, be the guy standing there waiting for the other person to jump at you. Then when you master this skill you can become the guy jumping around the other guys standing there waiting for you to jump on them and then from there ascend into heaven.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Ariong posted:

I swear 600k is harder than 5 mil. Could just be people chain wizard punching and pk firing and throwing gordos that I have no practice dealing with because nobody does it at higher GSP.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ariong posted:

There's definitely a barrier at the lower GSP levels. My wife used to play Chrom on my account to gently caress around and dropped his GSP to something like 80k, and then when I tried playing him later it took me like 30 straight wins in 1v1 to go from 80k to 100k. This was way back in the first year of the game so the numbers have probably gone up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty similar to how Pikachu and Raichu in the games are mediocre at best. But might be that Jigglypuff (along with its cute pink counterpart Clefairy) was apparently considered as a primary mascot of the franchise, and the anime uses it a lot basically as a plot device and/or filler. (I mostly remember the episode where Jigglypuff gets into a slapfight with an entire spaceship full of Clefairy, that was fun) And Sing is way overpowered even in Smash, let alone in the anime, since in the games it's a ridiculously inaccurate move.

Raichu is very good actually and has seen a lot of play at Worlds over the years. :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Haven't dropped out of elite in a long time now. Still can't deal with players that just jump at lightning speed. They're completely my achilles heel. I can't catch em in there air, I can't shield against them, they'll always grab me out of it. They're consistently the one type of player I just can't wrap my head around. This isn't that they're an annoying character like Link or something, it's specifically the player behavior of jumping around really fast, and they just run circles around me. I get like physically exhausted in real life

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

multijoe posted:

I have the opposite problem, where I've played the game like an amateur for nearly two decades and have strong fundamentals but find it extremely hard to learn advanced techniques or integrate them consciously into my playstyle, so I can scrape up against Elite Smash but inevitably but my arse handed to me as soon as I fight someone who has trained to play competitively.

One thing I noticed playing with a friend who only started playing a few years ago, who seems to think very consciously about his actions and can describe in detail what he did in a match, whereas I more or less play on instinct and anything past the last few seconds is pretty much a blur. How do other people play, does that description of playstyles make sense to anyone else?

This is exactly how I play. I have a decent feel for everything but I don’t know how to do many combos or whatever. Playing online I can tell someone when someone is new because they’ll do like a nice 0 to 50 combo on me and then just not know how to play past that. I’m not very good, I’ve just been playing these games for most of my life at this point.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

RareAcumen posted:

I on the other hand have never learned how to play Smash and just use smash and B attacks if they're powerful and don't have a gigantic windup or Cool down like Donkey Kong or Samus.

No idea how to play offstage or land Ryu, Ken or Terry's spike attack correctly or do their inputs consistently, I am garbage. Spirit mode was real tough for me.

Honestly this is more or less where I am and I don't play multiplayer much. I forget to do throws and shield, and I like to play kirby and mess around with copy abilities.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As long as we're confessing how terrible we are at the game, I haven't even bought Nintendo's online service and play like someone who's lived under a rock all his life. No thoughts, head empty, all Smash attacks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
As long as we're confessing how terrible we are at the game, the only character I have ever gotten to elite smash is Little Mac

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bleck posted:

the STUPID loving MORONS who have the AUDACITY to have never played SUPER SMASH BROS

There is a rigid and positive correlation between intelligence and playing Smash.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

As long as we're confessing how terrible we are at the game, I haven't even bought Nintendo's online service and play like someone who's lived under a rock all his life. No thoughts, head empty, all Smash attacks.

I have normal bog standard internet and I'm not invested in or good at any game to want to pay the :20bux: for the online functionality. I have a PS4 as well that I never bought online services for. Doesn't help that I'm terminally antisocial and only played things single player for the most part. The only times I've interacted with mutliplayer on the PS4 is Warframe and Genshin Impact and that's just because they're free.

Also I just said that I'm bad at Smash and don't know how to do any combos and much prefer to do a big punch for 23% damage than up attack someone to death 3 times so I'd be torn apart in multiplayer trying to play Hero or Terry against people who know what all the buttons do and how to exploit them against other people.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Golux posted:

Honestly this is more or less where I am and I don't play multiplayer much. I forget to do throws and shield, and I like to play kirby and mess around with copy abilities.

See that's cool.

I got my Ness into Elite, which I'm proud of because I think I'm pretty ok with Ness, but I also just like loving around. 1v1 is too try-hard for me at times, Free-for-all is a lot of fun. I don't do Online much anymore though because though I have a very good wireless connection, it's nonetheless wireless, and it's gotten more obvious as of late. I still prefer goofing around. Whenever I fight a Kirby I always let them eat me for example. Dedede's, Links, Samus's and the like I try to play baseball with, but it's hard to telegraph it. Still when I come across another clown it's a good time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I never use dodges, shields or throws. Ever. This is why I'm bad at Smash and always lose.

It also doesn't help I don't have any character movesets memorized so I don't immediately know whether it's better to go for a tilt or smash, and I have absolutely no idea what to do when I'm in the air except press A and a random direction and hope something good happens.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I never use dodges, shields or throws. Ever. This is why I'm bad at Smash and always lose.

It also doesn't help I don't have any character movesets memorized so I don't immediately know whether it's better to go for a tilt or smash, and I have absolutely no idea what to do when I'm in the air except press A and a random direction and hope something good happens.

I probably roll too much and most of the people I end up playing as have a sword so I barely bother with throws but this is basically me

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

signalnoise posted:

As long as we're confessing how terrible we are at the game, the only character I have ever gotten to elite smash is Little Mac

okay but that's the hardest one, imo,

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I probably roll too much and most of the people I end up playing as have a sword so I barely bother with throws but this is basically me

Throws are good but are necessary depending on your character. Ness has some terrific throws so I use them all the time.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The funny part about this is that once your GSP is low enough, Nintendo realizes you're a smurf and penalizes all of your GSP gains, so all of the smurfs have basically banished themselves to the Smurf Zone forever.

I'm playing 1v1 at a GSP that low because I made the mistake of starting with the character I want to main online, before I knew about Ethernet adapters for the Switch.

Although nexous comment also describes me. I just don't lag as much.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

I am you

I'm probably the best in my friend group and I've played tons of every smash but I just gently caress around, I'm not putting in hours alone practicing. I play each new character for like an hour when I get it and then just play with my friends. I never even play online. It's all smash instinct now. I used to main "everyone" but that really isn't possible any more. I have like two dozen I'm good with and three that are "ok last match do your best" worthy

Variety is why I play smash. Crazy levels. Most items on. Change characters every match.

I'll never be an elite pro, but that's ok :)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the only way to truly win at quickplay is to not play

you're more likely to have an opponent either picking insanely stupid rules or picking some lovely "I'm intentionally playing on wireless" character than to even have a chance at a fun time

go find some friends or a community and play with them instead

also: if you do decide to use quickplay, do your best not to even think about elite smash, regardless if you're in it or not. it's just added stress that more often than not impedes on either the enjoyment of the game or your ability to improve

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 8, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never gotten into Elite Smash because every single time I have ever tried a red bar superstar appears right at the cusp to knock a few hundred thousand points off and start Sisyphus's 10k a win crawl back up the mountain anew

I'm pretty sure I'm one win from it on Ridley at the moment but Zeus will not be tricking me again

e: Since we're talking about it how do point gains and losses work in 3 or 4 player ffa? Does only first get them?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 8, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tonetta posted:

you're more likely to have an opponent either picking insanely stupid rules or picking some lovely "I'm intentionally playing on wireless" character than to even have a chance at a fun time

My favorite ever quickplay was somebody who had picked Sonic and (whatever that big Ness city level is) and the only item was the flag one that gives you an extra stock/point. He just ran around pick those up and coming to poke me if I tried to pick one up. A very different game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Muscle Tracer posted:

My favorite ever quickplay was somebody who had picked Sonic and (whatever that big Ness city level is) and the only item was the flag one that gives you an extra stock/point. He just ran around pick those up and coming to poke me if I tried to pick one up. A very different game.

come on step it up

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Don't play quickplay for elite smash, don't play it for getting better, really anything other than this one thing

clips that are funny to you

https://i.imgur.com/K2D1bvN.mp4

lol
lmao

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Playing quick play to make laggy Wifi Sonics ragequit when they realize how your very active nair interacts with their homing attack

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I play quick play pretty much exclusively and all the flaws in the world are made up for by the fact that I can play smash brothers against someone at any time and it usually is pretty good. I haven't had that experience since college.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
nobody rematches me win or lose since i started playing pyra mythra which is frankly bullshit

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

scary ghost dog posted:

nobody rematches me win or lose since i started playing pyra mythra which is frankly bullshit

That's cause A) they are miserable to fight, but mostly B) the GSP system discourages rematching. They should really make it so that rewatching doesn't do anything to GSP.

And you can say GSP and elite doesn't matter all day. That little number going down does Bad Things to people's brains (I'm people. I would love to just be able to turn off the GSP display).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its not miserable to fight me since im not very good and i usually dont bother switching characters unless im losing which usually just makes me lose faster

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

That's cause A) they are miserable to fight, but mostly B) the GSP system discourages rematching. They should really make it so that rewatching doesn't do anything to GSP.

And you can say GSP and elite doesn't matter all day. That little number going down does Bad Things to people's brains (I'm people. I would love to just be able to turn off the GSP display).

My rule is I fight 2/3 with people unless I absolutely roll somebody because I don’t find those particularly enjoyable to play on repeat.

Also Pyra/Mythra really aren’t very miserable to fight against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My worst habit is that I never chase my opponent off-stage, because I've somehow internalized that whatever encounter happens out there, I'll lose. Intercepting recovery is hell to practice against CPUs, in particular, because they always perfectly time air dodges and parries.