Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in Louisiana we have Natchitoches meat pies which are empanadas but they changed the name so they could market them better i guess. good stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
There's the Australian Bakery Cafe in georgia where you can get authentic meatpies. We used to go in the summer and see shakespeare in the square in marietta square. They were always delicious and I had never had anything like them before, they also sold australian candy and soda. A lot of fanta flavors you couldn't get anywhere else besides australia I assume.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Waterbed Wendy posted:

There's the Australian Bakery Cafe in georgia where you can get authentic meatpies. We used to go in the summer and see shakespeare in the square in marietta square. They were always delicious and I had never had anything like them before, they also sold australian candy and soda. A lot of fanta flavors you couldn't get anywhere else besides australia I assume.

Can confirm good pies there. Savannah also has a kiss rear end pie shop: The Pie Society

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
this thread is making me miss restaurants so loving much

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

I died and they did an autopsy and my entire body was stuffed with Jamaican beef patties (spicy)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

there was an empanada place within walking distance of me until covid :f:

ive often wondered why there isnt a big chain in america selling basically hot pockets as fast food. you could do all the logistics research in the UK, offer a nice selection, i bet it'd be a hit

It's not exactly hot pockets and it's not a gigantic chain, but some of the plains states have Runza, which is a chain that sells uh runza, which are more or less a bun filled with meat and sometimes other things I guess. They also sell cinnamon rolls with a side of chili which still makes me a bit :psyduck:

I only had it once when I was in Lincoln and it sure is a meat filled bun yep.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
In the UP of Michigan there exist a handheld pie-thing matching the requisite characteristics

it is called a "pasty" and they are delicious and calorie-laden

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

In the UP of Michigan there exist a handheld pie-thing matching the requisite characteristics

There's a drive thru pasty place just over the border in Marinette that I always stop at when heading up that way and they're a fantastic gut bomb.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

uber_stoat posted:

in Louisiana we have Natchitoches meat pies which are empanadas but they changed the name so they could market them better i guess. good stuff though.
In my experience nachitoches meat pies are so named as a warning that they aren't gonna be as good as an empanada. A good empanada and you might only need a dash or two of hot sauce as you go, often optional. Never had a nachitoches meat pie I didn't need to bite the end off and pour the hot sauce bottle in.

But good news you can get crawfish pies in hand pie format so you can double fist a kolache and a crawfish pie at street festivals and Jazz Fest.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When you think about it a burrito is a meat pie.

If you really want to stretch it then a corn dog is a meat pie.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You're headed for dangerous territory. I know what you mean but you are playing with fire.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'mma come out and say it: a breaded pork cutlet is a meat pie.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Armitag3 posted:

a line has been crossed here

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's actually pretty much a cornish pasty and definitely counts as a meat pie.

I made some a few months ago and I loved them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i need a new search term for americana places. I've tried every possible variation on "american restaurant" "family restaurant" "country kitchen" "mom's" "saloon" "line dance" that I can think of

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fried chicken is a meat pie

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

yikes! posted:

fried chicken is a meat pie

Armitag3 posted:

Things are about to get dicey, aardvark

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

i need a new search term for americana places. I've tried every possible variation on "american restaurant" "family restaurant" "country kitchen" "mom's" "saloon" "line dance" that I can think of

vfw, fairgrounds, country store

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Aardvark! posted:

Hog show

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Aardvark! posted:

roadside attraction
dive bar
back highway
theme restaurant
independent campground
small town charm
hot milfs

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aardvark! posted:

House of
Kountry
Road house
Biker friendly
Bar and grill
Bar be cue
Steak house

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Spanish Matlock posted:

As an American living abroad the first meat pie I had blew my mind. We can't have them because everyone would be dead within weeks.

Shut your lying mouth, chicken pot pie is delicious.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

trawl about on this website fore a while: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

It's where I found Big Hotdog Man

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

oh cool I never wanted to sleep again anyway

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
here we go: butter sculptures at the kansas state fair

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Aardvark! posted:

bacon mistakes
county fair
funnel cake
trained chicken
food challenge
hefty grandpa
we will deep fry anything
hidden gem
mystery hole
nickel arcade

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Revins posted:

oh cool I never wanted to sleep again anyway

PILED HIGH

*smashes car w giant hotdog*

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They did ( just not everywhere ) pasties are a thing in / around Duluth.

NJ / NY too, I just had a beef pasty for lunch and it was awesome.

naem
May 29, 2011

We Will Deep Fry Hefty Grandpa’s Mystery Hole

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

lol

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Monkey Fracas posted:

trawl about on this website fore a while: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

It's where I found Big Hotdog Man

I'll see your Big Hotdog Man, and raise you Queen Connie:
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11913

(Current Google Maps photo)

For about 6 months, I had a job where I'd be driving past that 2-3 times a week.

On that same road is a barn with the Red Wings logo painted on it:

It's worth noting this is in Vermont...nowhere near Detroit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

pick a locality, go on yelp. i've been doing site:yelp.com "amazing margaritas" or site:yelp.com "marfa, tx" as searches and then browsing deeper to each place i find

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Marfa deez nuts got em

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Empty Sandwich posted:

Marfa deez nuts got em

Bring lotion, Marfa is dry as hell.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

in that last one, as far as I can tell, that item isn't on the menu. much like the restaurant sign above it, I think they just bought the sign as decoration

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Dad?

quote:

Mom?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

this thread is making me miss restaurants so loving much

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Aardvark! posted:

here we go: butter sculptures at the kansas state fair

Yeah that’s the stuff. I’m excited for this years State Fair. Hopefully we don’t all contract some sort of 5G disease from the vaccines and I can go pet the lambs again. I missed not going last year. I also just miss the chaotic weirdness that is The State Fair!